B. Scirocco
Steam ID: Le Tresor Interdit
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Winners Choice

Mushroom Julienne

Post by B. Scirocco »

Spoiler:
This is a recipe I made from a cookbook in September; I hope it's OK. At any rate, this is a Russian recipe that the author describes as similar to a dish served au gratin.
(Please note that you will need to prepare a white sauce for this dish; the recipe for it follows.)

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
2 small onions, finely chopped
2 pounds fresh, white mushrooms, wiped clean and coarsely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons dry vermouth
2/3 cup sour cream
3/4 Bechamel Sauce
1/3 cup finely snipped fresh chives
Generous pinch finely grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon dried fennel seeds
Salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste
3/4 cup grated Gruyere cheese

In a large heavy skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Saute the onions, stirring occasionally, until they begin to color, about 8 minutes.
Add the mushrooms and saute, stirring, until they begin to throw off their liquid. Turn the heat up to high and cook, stirring frequently, until the liquid is reabsorbed, about 15 minutes. Continue to cook the mushrooms over high heat until nicely browned, about 3 minutes.
Stir in the vermouth and cook for 3 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 425 deg. F (220 deg. C).
Turn the heat down to low and stir in the sour cream, 1/2 cup of the bechamel, the chives, nutmeg, fennel seeds, and salt and pepper. Mix well. Allow the mixture to heat for 3 minutes.
Divide the mushrooms among four ovenproof ramekins or individual cocotte pans. Spread about a tabelspoon of the remaining bechamel on top of each portion and sprinkle liberally with Gruyere.
Bake for 15 minutes, until bubbly and the tops are well browned.

Makes 4 servings

(Cook's notes: I did not have vermouth, fennel seeds, or Gruyere, so I made this with white wine and Swiss cheese, and left out the fennel. I can vouch that it still tasted excellent, although you'll have to be patient to chop two pounds of mushrooms.)

Bechamel Sauce:
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk, hot
Salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg

Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and add the milk in a steady stream, whisking vigorously until the mixture is thick and smooth.
Return the pan to the heat and simmer the sauce until thickened, about 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. If you are not going to use it right away, keep the sauce covered with buttered waxed paper to prevent a skin from forming.

Source: Please to the Table: The Russian Cookbook

Return to “Create-A-Dish”