BBACC rules creation - Boolprop Build a City Challenge

Avenie

Post Counts

BBACC rules creation - Boolprop Build a City Challenge

Post by Avenie »

Welcome! This is a thread to hopefully make a new set of BaCC rules. The original rules are here.

So far, the SM scoring is a little repetitive:
+1 for your first community lot
+1 when you reach a total of 5 community lots
+1 for every additional 5 community lots
+5 for adding a Downtown
+5 for each Business District
+5 for each University

I'd like to add +1 for every 10 best sellers written, and +1 for every 10 masterpieces. Maybe +2 if the city has 5 people at the top of the Athletics career at once - championship dodgeball team, perhaps?
Pony
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Ukraine

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Re: BBACC rules creation - Boolprop Build a City Challenge

Post by Pony »

This is going to be so much fun. And another excuse to start another BACC.

I was thinking maybe 2 SM for each family that reaches generation 5 and 5 SM for those that each generation 10. Though you would be limited to the overall families. Like Amber had two daughters and the family branched out over the generations to four households. Those four households still count as an extended family and can only earn the SM bonus once.

Also 1 SM for every ten careers topped and 1 SM for every complete set of platinum graves.
Avenie

Post Counts

Post by Avenie »

That's a good idea. With the career topping can one sim top two careers and have them both count, or do ten separate sims need to top their careers?
Pony
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Ukraine

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Pony »

I think ten seperate sims. Just to make it a little more of a challenge. Though having one sim top ten careers is quite a challenge too.
Bexx87
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob
Great Britain

Post Counts

Post by Bexx87 »

but do you unlock the careers the same way?

I now only build businesses if the LTW requires the job eg culinary or business tycoon rather than making every family have 5 businesses same with tycoons which si more difficult

i do like ponies generation idea
HAPPY 1ST BIRTHDAY SIMAPOPULASf
I am back from the underground of MH
Proud owner of
Custom Blog Website: http://www.simapopulas.co.uk
Pony
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Ukraine

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Pony »

I certainly wouldn't mind looking through the careers and tweaking the rules a bit. After all, some of them are quite easy. I think Medical for certain should be a little harder than just getting a University.
Avenie

Post Counts

Post by Avenie »

Medical - Unlock one place by placing a university. Your sim has to travel to the next city over, since your city doesn't have a hospital. Once a hospital has been built ($1million has been gathered through taxes/donations), places are unlimited, but restricted to university graduates. Add 3 to the SM for the new hospital.

Education feels like an afterthought, too. Opens up at 100 population, no other requirements.
Pony
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Ukraine

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Pony »

Educating the children is so important too. Borrowing a little from the Hollywood ruleset cause I like it. But what it one position opens up for every five in game born kids age to childhood. Though you cannot be promoted past level 6(I think that's the end of the high school part) until a university is built. Once there is an education minister it is unlocked for all.
Avenie

Post Counts

Post by Avenie »

I like the sound of that.

I'd like to also include some alien incentives. Maybe for every 10 aliens born by abduction, earn 1SM? To represent your city being more diverse, other aliens start moving in?
Pony
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Ukraine

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Pony »

I like an alien incentive, should we extend it to all supernaturals. My one worry is it might make it too easy with plantsims. But I definitely like the thought of MOAR aliens with it being a Boolprop challenge.
Avenie

Post Counts

Post by Avenie »

Definitely extend it to other supernaturals. I'll be totally honest - I very rarely play supernatural sims other than aliens, so I forgot about them!

Maybe again offer a point for every ten? People have already gamed the original rules with Servos, so I think the majority of players just play for fun anyway. 10 witches make an influential coven, 10 vampires make a secret society, 10 plantsims create a garden community, and those things would encourage more people to move to the city?

I like the idea of having a few people in a career at once earning a point. Four people at the top of Athletics at once makes a Sim Olympic team, which attracts future Sim Olympic hopefuls to train at the city. Four journalists make a newspaper, so they can better advertise the city and attract new residents? Maybe make it a one time bonus? So if you had four Hall of Famers, and then one died, you don't lose the point. If you have eight at any one time, that's two points.
Pony
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Ukraine

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Pony »

I like that we're focusing on rewarding for building the community rather than building businesses. Which is fun, but gets boring after a few generations.

Though how about instead of earning SM for four people top careers, how about earning CAS points instead? Since they're advertising the city in hopes of getting new residents.
Seera
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Seera »

Masterpieces - I haven't found a clear cut way to determine if a painting is a masterpiece or not. You only get the memory the first time you paint a masterpiece and you can't guarantee they'll throw a want for a masterpiece regularly enough. A value would need to be attached to this.

I'm not fond of giving +SM points for topping careers that are unlockable. I'd more rather give + points for having 5 Sims who have topped Entertainment at one point as that has a requirement and is therefore harder. I'd be fine if it was to unlock CAS points, though since those are easy to earn.

For the generational one, would the +2 and +5 points be additive or would the +5 override the +2?

I'm wary of having another 1 million item added. Because if we keep the University requirement, it means that you would need 2 million in taxes/donations just to unlock Medical. And that puts a lot of pressure on earning money quickly - which I don't think is the right way to go. I'd more say more like have graduated high school with an A, have graduated college with a 4.0, topped a teen career, and had a hobby at X level (one of the levels where you get a reward) or have a gold level badge in something.
Radiochocolate
Sweden

Post Counts

Post by Radiochocolate »

Seera wrote:Masterpieces - I haven't found a clear cut way to determine if a painting is a masterpiece or not. You only get the memory the first time you paint a masterpiece and you can't guarantee they'll throw a want for a masterpiece regularly enough. A value would need to be attached to this.
The general consensus seems to be 500 simoleons.

I would like to add Military as a career that would increase population, either through SM or CAS points. Perhaps have the required community lot be a residential lot instead, or both.
//Currently on a non-committed hiatus from Boolprop and Sims//
Iron Values TPC | Sim!Mia | Simbia Penal Colony BaCC
Sunny's Monster Mash | Sim Scrabble: a TS2 Name Game
Pony
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Ukraine

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Pony »

I'm not sure of the masterpiece thing. But my sims constant throw wants to paint masterpieces. But I rarely let them actually paint them.

I think the generation SM can addictive. After all you did the work to get the families that far.

We haven't talked about the uni requirement yet, but I think it's definitely worth looking at. Two million is a lot to build up, especially in the beginning. Or what about requiring a hospital lot to be placed as well as having sims graduate with a 4.0 from university.
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

I have often thought, for simplicity and a small degree of realism, of awarding 1 SM for each career track that has been topped. That would mean a total of 25 SM points with all the expansions, and perhaps even count the 3 pet careers so the critters could contribute to the population too. For a playable count of 500, that would add 12500 or 14000 to the population respectively, so a nice boost for motivation, but far from breaking the challenge.
Image Image
ISTJ
Seera
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Seera »

Pony wrote:I'm not sure of the masterpiece thing. But my sims constant throw wants to paint masterpieces. But I rarely let them actually paint them.

I think the generation SM can addictive. After all you did the work to get the families that far.

We haven't talked about the uni requirement yet, but I think it's definitely worth looking at. Two million is a lot to build up, especially in the beginning. Or what about requiring a hospital lot to be placed as well as having sims graduate with a 4.0 from university.
I'm not a fan of adding buildings just for the sake of adding buildings in my game. My military base always serves as like the base supply store where people can buy groceries, clothes, etc. I don't like building and spending the time to find a non-super CC filled hospital is just not appealing - since I'd never send my Sims there it would just be a place holder building. I'd rather leave the lot space for residential lots or community lots that I will actually visit. I'm not looking to create a realistic looking city when I play.

I'd be open to options via the open positions vs unlock. Like you can open positions by doing it the skill way, but fully unlock by placing the hospital.

Mine rarely throw wants to paint masterpieces. They'll constantly throw the fear of selling a poor painting, though.

For generations, we may want to say that spawned Plant sims don't count as a generation as they go from toddler straight to adult and can immediately spawn another one. It would create a way to cheese those points, especially if we decide on a multi-household start (like you do in rule sets like Nepheris').
Avenie

Post Counts

Post by Avenie »

So good to see a group here!

So, ditch the masterpiece thing.
Seera
I'm wary of having another 1 million item added. Because if we keep the University requirement, it means that you would need 2 million in taxes/donations just to unlock Medical. And that puts a lot of pressure on earning money quickly - which I don't think is the right way to go. I'd more say more like have graduated high school with an A, have graduated college with a 4.0, topped a teen career, and had a hobby at X level (one of the levels where you get a reward) or have a gold level badge in something.
Maybe tie it in with nature? So, an interest in medicinal plants (gold badge in gardening, maxed nature hobby). I feel like the badges are incredibly underused in the original BaCC.
Radiochocolate
I would like to add Military as a career that would increase population, either through SM or CAS points. Perhaps have the required community lot be a residential lot instead, or both.
It'd make sense to increase the population. New recruits, or people stationed in the city?

What do people prefer? SM or CAS points? I don't tend to use CAS points, as I like to increase my playable population through the neighbourhood families.
Twilightoutside

Post Counts

Post by Twilightoutside »

I like the original rules, as they are easy to overlook and not too complex - but they do tend to create silly situations: you want to finish the Bacc fast ? earn 44 million simoleons (it's easy, believe me!), place 44 unis, add all the cas sims - done! Aside the fact, that you shouldn't do that if you haven't installed clean uni templates, so your computer doesn't become BFBVFS, how many cities do you know exist in RL that have 44 unis? Same goes for business districts, and 44 Business Tycoons in a city of only 50.000... yeah, not plausible...

My idea would be, that instead of business districts or unis, certain community lots being worth 5 SM (and 5 Cas Sims) could be placed for unlocking certain conditions, like a town hall for the first one topping politics, a hospital for medical, science lab for science, restaurant for culinary etc. - and the topped careers itself are locked by certain conditions before a sim can choose one, like in the original rules already, but harder or with more conditions (science lab: top of science, gold robotics badge, maximum enthusiasm in science, 3x abducted....)...

This Community lots would then flesh out the city itself a bit better - and if every lot is tied to a career, then that's 27 x 5 + 5 for business tycoon, adding one single business district, + 5 for a single uni, + 5 for a downtown - that already 2/3 of the SM-points I gained with the above methods, but now I do have nice buildings contributing to the overall look of my hood.

Edit: just remembered - Danie here has - without any CC!! - recreated the Sims 3 Sunset Valley world, including all the 'rabbit holes' where Sims work at - they would be perfect for several of those job-tied 5 SM point-community lots I suggested....

EDIT: Okay, a bit more brainstorming: changes to the original rules [work in progress, not complete yet]:
Spoiler:
1.) Only the first University and the first Business District give you 5 SM and 5 CAS-Points, additional Unversities or Business Districts can be added by fulfilling the requirements but won't give you any Points.

2.) Negative CAS-Points: Every time you move in a Townie/NPC/etc., you get a negative CAS-Point, which will be counted against your positive CAS-Points. If your CAS Score is 0 or lower, you can't add a CAS-Sim.

3.) You can unlock certain Buildings. These Buildings, if placed, give you 5 SM and 5 CAS Points. There are 42 Buildings you can add [Explanation: 42 Buildings and a Business District, University and Downtown are 225 SM and 225 Cas Points = enough to get 50.000 Population].

Buildings are: [work in progress, need requirements to be placed] - the first building from a list placed gives 5 SM and 5 Cas Points, the rest doesn't

Museum

Theatre/Cinema

Opera/Concert Hall

Restaurant/Diner

TV Station/newspaper office

Library/Book Store

Laboratory

Courthouse

Town Hall

Park/Golf Course

Prison

Police Station

Fire Brigade

Art Gallery

Elementary School/Playground

Elementary/High School

Military Base

Rocket Base

Mall/Shopping centre

Observatory

House of Worship

Train Station

Harbour

Cemetary

Hospital

Dog Park/Cat Park/Aquarium/Bird Watch

Gas Station

Abandoned Warehouse

Stadium/Sports Center

Dump

Airport

Water Purification

Bank

Bus Station

Community garden

Construction Office

IKEA/Furniture Store

Beach/Public Pool

Statue/Sightseeing Spot/Sculpture Park

Asylum/Orphanage/Retirement Home (residential, must move in, 1 controllable + uncontrollable elders/babies/lunatics [babies - can move to uni once teens / move out once adults])

Power Plant (Residential, must move in, must pay for lot, needs solar panels/windmills, must never take a job or open a business)

* Own Choice 42 (You got all 41 former buildings placed)
Good luck with the rule creation ^^

Return to “Sims 2 Chat”