Build a City Challenge Chat

Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Re: Build a City Challenge Chat

Post by Lorinsv »

I get that it isn't realistic to count dead people in a population, but in a BaCC, I unreservedly do. I wouldn't like playing multiple generations of Sims I grow attached to and not have them count. Add to that, I am not capable of playing enough households simultaneously to reach 50000. The goal is just too high, as shown by how few have even come close to finishing the challenge (with the exception of Twilightoutside and pnkpnthr that I know of). In my case, more than eight years playing Mesa Vista on and off (mostly off the last 2-3 years, but it's still going), and my population sits at 6000+, a whole 12% of the goal :pan: I love my growing city and its inhabitants, but dang, it's a lonnnng slog to the end!
Image Image
ISTJ
peachy123uk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Completed Challenges

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by peachy123uk »

I think what I will do is put a graves count but still add that to the population. I am hoping to finish my B.A.C.C. by round ten. :)
UPCOMING EVENTS:

JUNE
PRIDE

JULY
SIMNANO

DECEMBER
CHRISTMAS 2024

simsterlyrock
Steam ID: cclimer94
Origin ID: simsterlyrock
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by simsterlyrock »

You guys convinced me to count dead sims anyway and my population jumped up from 1480 to 1700, so that'll be nice. :lol: I really need to work on getting another university or business district so my SM will go up more.
peachy123uk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Completed Challenges

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by peachy123uk »

My sims earn way to much, so now I take most of their money and put it towards Universities. Say if they had 86,745 I would take the 80,000 towards another university. It does build them faster and gets that sm up. :)
UPCOMING EVENTS:

JUNE
PRIDE

JULY
SIMNANO

DECEMBER
CHRISTMAS 2024

Chase
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam ID: ziekenz
United States of America

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by Chase »

I appreciate the grave discussion! I'm currently trying to figure out what to do with them myself. My final actual population goal is 125 with a SM of 400, but I've yet to determine whether I think having 125 living Sims at the same time will be realistic. If I were to include graves, I'd probably be there within a couple generations (and I'm playing enough in lockdown to actually be counting my BaCC progress in generations, lol), and I'm not sure whether I want that or not. I think it might just come down to how soon I want the challenge to end. :shifty:

I've decided to start making stories from my BaCC! I'm excited for them; I've finished plotting out the first one and I'm excited to shoot it. I'm thinking I'll just do one every once in a while, when I feel some inspiration for a story. :D The first one is gonna be suspenseful (I hope lol), while others might be romantic, comedic, horror, etc. I'm hoping by saying it here that I'll actually be moved to manifest it. :lol:
hello! :heartbeat:
peachy123uk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Completed Challenges

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by peachy123uk »

At the moment I have 125 living sims and around 39 households. And some CAS sims that have been made but not used yet, so I won't count them just yet.

Looking forward to reading the stories on your B.A.C.C. :)
UPCOMING EVENTS:

JUNE
PRIDE

JULY
SIMNANO

DECEMBER
CHRISTMAS 2024

simsterlyrock
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by simsterlyrock »

I'm at 74 living sim plus 11 graves. My SM is only 20, but my goal is to have another university or two soon to help bump up the SM a lot.
FunkyFresh
Netherlands

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by FunkyFresh »

I'm currently at 126 playable Sims + 10 graves, and it gets a little overwhelming. I'm at the start of round 11 now, but I tend to forget about the taxes so I don't have as much universities unlocked as I could probably have. Round 11 is going to be all about unlocking new universities and maybe a BD, instead of just having lots and lots of children to get the population up (thanks, ACR).

Sometimes, I just want to start over. After 10 rounds, my population is at 4216 so it feels like I'm nowhere near the goal. Every rotation takes me ages and I feel like I just messed up my strategy in the beginning already.
Completed challenges:
Spoiler:

simsterlyrock
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by simsterlyrock »

I feel the same way. I'm also at the start of round 11 and my population isn't even at 2,000. This is the farthest I've ever gotten in a BACC though, so I'm determined to keep going. I've been saving up the money that my Sims get so some of them have several hundred thousand now, so I think I'll see how many universities I can unlock this round to help with the SM.
peachy123uk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Completed Challenges

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by peachy123uk »

I am just started round 8 and I have 125 playables, 3 dead, my SM is 99 so I have 12,573 population, but I do have 13 business districts, 5 universities and 70 community lots, and near 60 CAS sims to use. :)
UPCOMING EVENTS:

JUNE
PRIDE

JULY
SIMNANO

DECEMBER
CHRISTMAS 2024

Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

Way to go, peachy!
Sometimes, I just want to start over. After 10 rounds, my population is at 4216 so it feels like I'm nowhere near the goal. Every rotation takes me ages and I feel like I just messed up my strategy in the beginning already.
I am not happy with some of my initial strategy decisions (like from a realism standpoint, opening a Uni right away). But what I do when I have regrets, is I use earned Business Districts to "start over" or change up my strategy.

I have a relatively new business district that is focused on a more rural setting and farming. Looking back, I wish I would have started with these households, but now I have in my head that these people were there all along, and my founder had a vision of growing the area it into a larger city. I am happy with that story I've concocted to justify my doing things a little out of order.

For another BD, I used the shortcut goldmine strategy for a nefarious character to buy up a lot of land (50 lots in her new BD) and placed a bunch of business lots that probably will never get played, and she also established a questionable online Uni, which upped my potential SM dramatically (30) with at least 6 Sims ready to become Tycoons, and 20 more SM points when I get more Sims into the Business career, bringing my population to well over 10000. If I want to continue accelerating my population, I can just have her earn more money and place more business lots.

This is one way the city can grow in the background while I focus most of my playing on the households I've become attached to, as well as new ones that have an interesting story angle or mini challenges I want to try, etc. The same goes for new districts with different themes: run-down areas, posh areas, crime-riddled areas (gotta do something with all those Criminal spots now open ;) , etc).

TLDR; I'm practicing, learning, changing gears, and moving forward all at the same time.
Image Image
ISTJ
peachy123uk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Completed Challenges

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by peachy123uk »

thanks Lorinsv

Yeah I am always thinking I should start over I actually had that thought today but then I said to myself why I am doing so well. I had a strategy in my head, when I first started playing, lots of community lots, lots of people in the business career (if don't have a career related ltw) so lots of Business Tycoons, and need lots CAS sims and Universities. My goal is to be finished by round ten.
UPCOMING EVENTS:

JUNE
PRIDE

JULY
SIMNANO

DECEMBER
CHRISTMAS 2024

Chase
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam ID: ziekenz
United States of America

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by Chase »

Keep going y'all! It's never too late to switch it up!!

I'm on rotation 15 and JUST unlocked service sims, so you're all doing great! :lol:

And I appreciate knowing that 125 is reasonable and doable! I've determined that my goal for now is to keep the number of households as low as possible, especially because I'm pretty attached to many of the Sims and want to play them, with the added bonus of letting families establish wealth. I'm currently racing to earn enough for the first university, since I have some knowledge Sim teens that I want to get the chance to go. (Plus I downloaded the 8 day semester mod, so I'm not dreading university like I normally am. :P)

Also, I had a dream about my BaCC. :shifty: I have a house with plantsims, and in the dream, I accidentally rapid fired 3 generations of plantsim babies somehow. I was building the family tree on paper and it was very oddly shaped. :P
hello! :heartbeat:
peachy123uk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Completed Challenges

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by peachy123uk »

Never had a dream about my B.A.C.C. yet it might happen
Rotation 15 well done for unlocking your service sims. :)
UPCOMING EVENTS:

JUNE
PRIDE

JULY
SIMNANO

DECEMBER
CHRISTMAS 2024

simsterlyrock
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by simsterlyrock »

I have 19 households right now, but I also have a TON of kiddos for generation 3 and a lot of them are becoming adults and moving out, so that'll go up soon. Luckily I genuinely enjoy all the Sims so there aren't any households that I don't want to play. If that ever happens I'll just make that Sim into a townie (but probably keep them in the population because I can).
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

I have 105 Sims in 33 households. Only a few big families, some single parents, quite a few singles and small families (2 kids or less).

My next goal is to move in more AL townies already in the Business career.
Image Image
ISTJ
simsterlyrock
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by simsterlyrock »

I have a lot of singles coming up since I have freshly aged up adults, and more on the way, but I'm hoping they'll quickly roll wants for marriage or have babies through ACR and spice things up.
FunkyFresh
Netherlands

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by FunkyFresh »

I installed Sims 4 a couple of days ago, and now my Sims 2 won't start anymore :cry: I just wanna cry. I wrote here that I sometimes thought about starting over with my BACC, but I don't want to be forced to do so! I desperately wanted to get started on rotation 11 and now it might be all gone :cry: I'm not even sure re-installing the game would help, as it suddenly whines about DirectX and graphic cards while I changed nothing at all, I just installed Sims 4. All fixes I find online don't work. I feel so sad.
Completed challenges:
Spoiler:

peachy123uk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Completed Challenges

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by peachy123uk »

Sims 4 shouldn't really make a difference. I have the Demo (download) of sims 4 on the pc I use for my sims 2. Did you discs or downloads? Can you do an external save of your sims 2. (I have never been able to do that.) I am sure there is tips on how to do it though. And then re-install the sims 2. I do hope you can get to work again. Sorry I can't help much :)
UPCOMING EVENTS:

JUNE
PRIDE

JULY
SIMNANO

DECEMBER
CHRISTMAS 2024

FunkyFresh
Netherlands

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by FunkyFresh »

peachy123uk wrote:Sims 4 shouldn't really make a difference. I have the Demo (download) of sims 4 on the pc I use for my sims 2. Did you discs or downloads? Can you do an external save of your sims 2. (I have never been able to do that.) I am sure there is tips on how to do it though. And then re-install the sims 2. I do hope you can get to work again. Sorry I can't help much :)
I fixed it :celebration: I have no clue what I did, though. But it's working again, after trying numerous things I found on the internet. I think Sims 2 was conflicting with Origin somehow. I'm not sure if I ever dare to try Sims 4 again (which is a shame, because I just bought a couple of expansions) but I really want to keep Crimson Falls!
Completed challenges:
Spoiler:

Return to “Sims 2 Chat”