Build a City Challenge (Hollywood Edition)

Hollywood3015
House of Motherlode
House of Motherlode
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Build a City Challenge (Hollywood Edition)

Post by Hollywood3015 »

I've always loved BaCC though I've never completed one. I have been play testing this rule set and so far everything makes sense but I wrote it so that is probably why. If anyone has any question I will be available to answer them and if anyone plays it I would LOVE to see it. <3

Starting out

Create a new neighborhood.
Roll a d4 to determine how many families you will have.
Roll another d4 to determine how many sims will be in each house.
Roll to determine if your sim will be a supernatural

1-2= Supernatural
3-6=Human
Create a backstory for your sims or pick traits.
Roll a die to determine how much money a settle starts off with:
1=15.000
2-3=25.000
4-5=40.000
6=50.000
-Randomize the gender preference of sims
-Have all the sims meet and socialize for a day. (use maxmotives for 1 day so settlers can get to know each other.)

RESTRICTIONS

First and foremost when a sim starts a town from the ground up they don't have houses. All sims must start in a tent with cheapest grill and fridge, an outhouse, a bench, and one sink. These are the only things they can have on the lot. (Not including the skilling object needed to of course unlock things. BUT you may only have one of those skilling objects.
Example: If you have a telescope you can't have a chess table. You have a grill so you can't study cookbooks.
*Edit - If you are starting prosperity style and have young kids you may have put them in the outhouse so they don't get taken away.
Houses are unlocked when Architect reaches level 3
That means walls can enclose an area and a bed that does not mean flooring or wallpaper or extra furniture.

-No electronics. (tv's, stereos,computers,games,burglar/fire alarms, lights)
Only the cheapest fridge and grill may be used.
Basic electricity system:
Sims don't just learn a couple of skill points and then know how to work complex electronics. Level 10 Mechanical and 8 logic and 3500$ unlocks:
Boombox or cheapest stereo
Lamps
Cheapest phone
Old school Cash register
Unlocking basic electricity earns you +1 CAS sim.
Once an airport has been unlocked then you can have electronics of any price.

-No running water. Use outhouse.
To unlock running water one or two sims must get lv. 5 cleaning and level 3 logic.
2000$ must be paid from town funds
Unlocking running water: means inside plumbing, toilets, showers, baths, more than one sink. (Of course this can't happen until your Architect reaches level 3 but you could build 1 wall and put a shower. You did learn how to pipe after all.)

Basic Airport- A downtown gets you everything at your ready quickly but an airport gets you a few comforts.
To unlock a basic airport you need 25.000 dollars When you unlock a basic airport you get:
Flooring
Wallpaper
Pets ( You can now adopt strays not call in to get pets)
Furniture ( Like stated before you only have a tent, fridge, grill, outhouse and sink, not including skilling objects you need. After you unlock the basic airport you now can have couches, end tables, more than two counters and expensive electronics etc.
-No cars (Until downtown is unlocked)
-No delivery service
-No services of any kind (Services are unlocked when town reaches pop of 100)
There are a few exceptions
Pet adoption- If there is a pet store in town (whether it is owned by a playable or not) you may call that service.
Garden Club- With so many sims having to DIY everything they have fallen in love with nature. To unlock the garden club 3 sims must have full nature hobby, a badge of any color in gardening all at the same time.
Nanny- Teenagers of this city have come together in protest. They are tired of babysitting their siblings. It is absolutely not fair they have lives too.
When your town has 5 born in game teenagers the nanny service may be unlocked. Of course if you reach a population of 100 first then you have no need to worry.
Grocery Delivery- When the grocery store in town ( if one is owned ) reaches level 10 then sims may receive groceries via delivery.
Police- Is unlocked when there are 3 openings in the police force that are filled. 1 officer can't be everywhere. (This also unlocks burglar alarms)
Fire Service - Is unlocked when there has been 3 fires in town. (This also unlocks fire alarms)
Apartments are locked until the population is 100. Who needs apartments with all this space.
Private school is unlocked when the education career is unlocked

-No community lots until Architect reaches lv 3 and you have basic electricity and running water. People can't shop in the dark and things need to be clean.
-All careers are locked except Politics and Architect.
-Sims can only move during the beginning or end of a rotation.
Cars are locked.
To unlock your town needs a downtown.
Building must be ranch style. 1 Architect can only do so much.
Once the architect recruits 1 sim you may build more than 1 story houses.
Clothes is locked until sim reaches silver sewing badge. Once this has happen a sim does not have to wear only what they grew up in.
What this means is you can't take your sims to the dresser and change their clothes and you can't shop for clothes until a sim has a silver clothing badge.

SIM MULTIPLIER

+1 When the first community lot is built
+1 When you have basic electricity
+1 When you have plumbing
+2 When you get an Airport
+1 With every 5 community lots after
+1 A sim tops a career. (maximim 1 per household)
+5 Downton
+10 University (Multiple universities are allowed)
+13 For every business district.

UNLOCKING NEIGHBORHOOD ADDITIONS

Community Lots

Architect is promoted to lv 3.
Community lots may not be opened until there is running water and electricity
Home business are allowed right off the bat but sims can only sell what they make.
Once community lots have been unlocked they do not need to be owned by a sim but the money it cost to build them must be taken from town funds.
(When I say cost to build them, below I have a list of community lots and how much they cost)
Bar - 5000
Club - 15.000
Coffee Shop - 2500
Grocery Store - 6000
Retail store - 9000
Park - 10.000
Restaurant - 18.000
(If there is anything I missed please let me know <3)

(You earn 1 cas sim for every community lot)

Community lot types

-Sim owned
-City owned ( Paid for w/ taxes)
-Free (Every 4 households earns you 1 community lot)

Connection to Downtown

-Unlocked when Founder/sim tops politics and a basic airport has been built and 100.000 has been paid a Downtown is unlocked.
-Hobby lots are open
-When connection to DT is made you have two choices.
The first choice is you can connect the premade downtown and have those sims, though you do not have to play them but if you do then you can add them to your rotation and stats.
Or you can create one from scratch. If you go with this route you get 10 CAS sims.

University
There are two kinds of Universities you can have - Premade and Custom

-Unlocked when you get a basic airport.
Premade

Premade universities don't cost you a thing to build but you must have a population of 1000.
10,000 must be paid before you go to uni.
Scholarships help with that cost
Must have a grade of B or higher
With premade unis you have the option of claiming the premade sims in that uni as your own and adding them to your stats and rotation or simply ignoring them as if they are just regular townies.
The only things that CAN NOT be done is they can't be deleted.

Custom -

Custom are a little harder to obtain but more rewarding.
Custom uni cost $750,000.
Once that money is paid the only things that can be in the custom uni hood are a library and 1 dorm.
Sims must have a B or higher to go to university.
Everything has a price, the 750.000 that you take from the taxes goes to a separate fund, kind of like taxes. This money helps you buy other things you want for your university.
Since the custom university is paid for via taxes, it is "free" for all students. This means after the 750.000 is paid there won't be any money going into your uni fund. This can of course be fixed by 3 ways.
The first way is after you collect all the taxes for that season before you get to the uni rotation you can put some funds in the uni fund.
Second way would be whenever the students pay bills that money goes into the uni fund. (This way would probably take the most time trying to get other things. BUT if you like a challenge.. do you!)
Or the last way which would be for the sims living in the dorms, they would pay a very small price every semester. What that is.. Is up to you. For me it is 200 dollars a semester per playable student living in the dorms.
That money of course is taken out of their household funds.

Additional Custom Uni Rules

LIke I stated above, Custom unis only come with 2 buildings, Library and 1 dorm. Everything else has a price and below I will name the object and price.
Any community lots must first be unlocked in order to put them in your campus. The only things that are unlocked with a uni is a dorm and a library.
Dorm - 30.000
1 Bedroom House - 1500
2 Bedroom House - 2500
3-5 Bedroom House - 3500
Any house bigger then 5 bedrooms - 10.000
Bar - 5000
Club - 15.000
Coffee Shop - 2500
Grocery Store - 6000
Retail store - 9000
Park - 10.000
Restaurant - 18.000

Shopping District

Business/shopping district may be the hardest to obtain. You must have 5 player owned businesses as well as 1 business tycoon. That opens the way to being able to get a business district.
A business district cost 200.000 dollars. Once paid for and with the above fulfilled you may add your business district.
You must have a shopping district in order to sell your business to the public.
With the opening of a business district you earn 10 CAS sims as well as 1 free business.

Lot Points

A lot is awarded each time your town surpasses or reaches one of the 7 goals in population.
10, 25, 50, 75, 100, 200, 350
Each lot can be redeemed for a free community lot. It must be a public lot or government lot. It can never be privately owned.
Lot points can only be used once. Once they are used they may never be traded in, no take backsies, so make sure you spend them wisely.
Lot point buildings can be modified anytime for free.
EX: You use a lot point on a military base, you build it and it's great then you get a new piece of cc like a gun range and you want to add that in. That is allowed.

Taxes

Taxes are to be taken at the beginning of each household.
Taxes can be however much you decided but it must stay consistent. If the first household pays 25% in taxes that means everyone must pay that much. Keep in mind that sims can 'donate' funds to the town funds if they want.
If a sim owns a business that is above level 5 that business must be added to their household income.
For instance: The household worth is 50.000 and the business is worth 100.000. The total would be 150.000 and you would take the taxes from that total number.

Unlocking Careers

Adventure- If you want adventure you must seek it.
Requirements: A position opens when 1 sim has visited all 3 vacation destinations. Met bigfoot, the witch doctor and learns to teleport as well as buys a vacation home in one of the spots.
Once a sim has reached the top of the career it is open to all.

Architect - Somebody had to build these houses we see.
Requirements: A position is immediately open for one of your lucky sims to enter.
At level 3(brick layer) your sim may recruit one person to help them build these houses.
Once a sim has reached the top of the career it is open to all with full mechanical.

Artist - Art is subjective or whatever.
Requirements: A position opens when a sim maxes creativity.
A art gallery must also be opened and reach level 10.
Once the above things have happen the career is unlocked to all.

Athletic - Life on the frontier can't be all work and no play but who is coming to watch the games?
Requirements: A Downtown must be established.

Business - Business is important as well as booming. People need everything and if you have the skill you can make a bit of money.
Requirements: A position opens everytime a player owned business reaches top rank but only for the family of the top ranked business.
It is unlocked to everyone with the first business district.

Criminal - A town this small wouldn't have crime,.
right?
Requirements: The life of crime can be open a few ways
Population of 100
3 burglaries
5 deaths not from old age

Culinary - Sometimes you don't want to cook for yourself and that's okay, or it would be if there was someone to cook for you.
Requirement: A sim owned restaurant reaching level 5 unlocks 1 position in the culinary career track. It is unlocked to everyone once the career is topped.
Non sim owned restaurants may only be open when a sim owned restaurant reaches top rank and someone tops the culinary career.

Dance - Who the hell has time to dance? My feet hurt enough from building a city up from nothing.
Requirements: A position in the dance career is open once a connection to downtown is established.

Education - Is important kind of. Someone has to help work the farm.
Requirements: Once 3 born in game sims reach children one position opens.
Once that sim reaches lv 5 (High school teacher) another position opens.
Lv 6+ ( Uni guest lecturer ) doesn't open until a downtown is opened.

Entertainment - Everyone needs a laugh, even the most evil sims.
Requirements: A position is open to every sim that transitions into adulthood with max charisma. It is never fully unlocked.

Gamer - It's the little things in life. Ha jk some people are just lazy.
Requirements: A position is unlocked once the first teen born in game owns:
The most expensive computer
Most expensive Tv
A cell phone
A MP3 player
A portable video game
Arcade Machine
Once the career is topped and an arcade is in town the career is unlocked to everybody.

Intelligence: Is needed. Everyone knows it exists but don't at the same time. It's big brother but you never know who is in it.
Requirements: The only sims that can join this career are sims that have had A+ all through HS and and 4.0 in college. They must have max body and charisma and logic skill before they can join.

Journalism - People are nosey by nature but as the town grows nobody knows everyones business anymore.
Requirement: The population must reach 250. Once it reaches 250 1 position opens. Every 250 milestone in population earns you one position.

Law - What is it good for?
Requirements: When a position in either criminal or law enforcement open a position in Law opens. Once this is topped it is open to everyone.

Law Enforcement -
Requirements: Is the same as criminal
Population of 100
3 Burglaries
5 deaths not by old age

Medical - Getting sick out here can be deadly
Requirements: Shit is about to get dark. Every time a sim gets sick you roll a d6.
Evens = Live
Odds = Die
If a sim rolls an even they are now immune to the sickness.
If a sim rolls dies then a position opens in the medical career. Once it is topped, sims stop dying from being sick and dice may stopped being rolled.
Comfort soup is now unlocked as well. It may be sold in stores as well as made at home and eaten by sims whom are not family sims.

Military - Lets be honest, would you feel safe without your military?
Requirements: Once a Downtown has been established the military career is open to everyone.

Music - Dance monkey dance!
Requirements: Music is unlocked once a community lot with 3 musical instruments that are not for sell are placed.

Natural Science: You didn't need a degree back in my day. After all it's suppose to be NATURAL
Requirements: This career is open to any sim with max nature hobby, membership to the garden club, and a gold gardening talent badge.

Oceanography - I wanna be where the people are!
Requirements: A position opens for every sim with a gold fishing badge, a fish tank in their house, and a pond on their property.

Paranormal - Who ya gonna call? Ghostbusters!
Requirements: A position opens when the town opens its first cemetery and has 5 graves. Additional positions open for every supernatural sim and every 5 graves. This career is never fully unlocked.
EX: 10 graves and 2 supernaturals that would be 4 positions open.

Politics - Dirty politics keep the world turning
Requirements: This position is open right away. In order for this to be open to everyone a town hall must be built.

Science - Lets' create new stuff kay?
Requirements: This career can be opened many ways.
A gold robotics badge and a servo
3 electrocutions
A born in game sim transitioning into adulthood with max 7 skills
One position opens for one of these happening. It is never truly unlocked.

Show Business - I want to be FAMOUS!
Requirements: Downtown

Slacker: This career is almost as big of a joke as the gamer career
Requirements: A sim owned Club must be built and top ranked.

Pet Careers

Show Biz - Only pets that have learned all commands may enter.
Service - Only open when population reaches 100.
Security - Only open to pets whose owner is in law enforcement or criminal.
Last edited by Hollywood3015 on November 27th, 2017, 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Seera
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Re: Build a City Challenge (Hollywood Edition)

Post by Seera »

I may just have to trial run this myself. Once I finish my Baby Boomer Challenge XD

Edit with question!

Do the starting Sims have to be adults? I would assume if there can be teens or children or toddlers, that any child/teen requirements are from born in game children/teens/toddlers?
Pony
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Ukraine

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Pony »

You can make whole families with starting sims if you choose. I was thinking about rolling the founding families popularity style where roll for ages too. Makes some interesting results. How would feel about even starting with some of the premades? Like maybe moving Julien Cook in or the Ottomas family?
Seera
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Seera »

Just found a problem:

You can't unlock University until someone tops Education, but you can't top Education until you unlock University.
Pony
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Ukraine

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Pony »

One of my families is starting out with a toddler. I have the toddler blanket, but toddlers can't sleep out in the cold. Is it okay to make the outhouse large enough the toddler?
Hollywood3015
House of Motherlode
House of Motherlode
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Hollywood3015 »

You can start with whatever age sims you like. Adults would be the easiest but if you want to do it like Pony with Prosperity style that is a good way to go about it too.

If you are doing it starting with younger ages an outhouse is perfectly fine or you can even change the seasons so it isn't winter if you want.

Silly me, You guys are right! Sorry about that I overlook things because I have a lot of mods.

I'm changing it too you cannot have a university until you unlock an airport but because of that I will be making the airport more expensive so it is a challenge. <3 Thank you guys so much for play testing this.
Hollywood3015
House of Motherlode
House of Motherlode
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Hollywood3015 »

Seera wrote:I may just have to trial run this myself. Once I finish my Baby Boomer Challenge XD

Edit with question!

Do the starting Sims have to be adults? I would assume if there can be teens or children or toddlers, that any child/teen requirements are from born in game children/teens/toddlers?

Ooh I would love to see!
They do not have to be adults and yes any child/teen requirement is from born in game sims only. :))
Scribal_Goddess

Post Counts

Post by Scribal_Goddess »

I like this a lot, but don't have the time to devote to a new BACC... so I think I'm going to subject some new, moved-in townies to the beginning stages of this at the beginning of spring. :)

It should be fun - I love playing sims who live off the land, and this shouldn't be too much harder for me than a shipwreck challenge. Since this won't gel with my current, Nepheris-based BACC's restrictions, I'm just going to make the new crew earn access to stuff that already exists in town. :)
Hollywood3015
House of Motherlode
House of Motherlode
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Hollywood3015 »

Scribal_Goddess wrote:I like this a lot, but don't have the time to devote to a new BACC... so I think I'm going to subject some new, moved-in townies to the beginning stages of this at the beginning of spring. :)

It should be fun - I love playing sims who live off the land, and this shouldn't be too much harder for me than a shipwreck challenge. Since this won't gel with my current, Nepheris-based BACC's restrictions, I'm just going to make the new crew earn access to stuff that already exists in town. :)
Thank you :) I can't wait to see it!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Pony
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Ukraine

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Pony »

I have my Prologue out now! I may have been a little overly excited about this. I did have to use the sim blender to summon everyone to the founders lot. I think it I did it again I would probably just move everyone onto one lot for the first day.
Seera
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Seera »

Question:

This rule in the portion talking about what is unlocked when you get a basic airport set up, "Furniture ( Like stated before you only have a tent, fridge, grill, outhouse and sink, not including skilling objects you need. After you unlock the basic airport you now can have couches, end tables, more than two counters and expensive electronics etc." it implies that you can have 2 counters prior to getting a basic airport, but the first part doesn't state that you can have that (I can see 1 counter to get the sink in, but not 2).

And given that you count learning while doing as skilling, how would you handle mechanical since that's so critical to unlocking things? You can't force the toilet or the sink to break so would the bookcase be usable for that? I don't think any Sim would be able to get to level 10 mechanical just by unclogging the toilet and repairing the sink.

I'm also allowing my Sims to have a tub since in olden days people would just carry in water from a well or a lake and fill a tub up for baths, but they have to have a pond on the lot to do that and they can only bathe once per season and only when the pond isn't frozen.
Pony
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Ukraine

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Pony »

Oh the tub is a great idea! I just gave everyone cheap showers. I think you can use the bookcase, just not for studying cooking. I was trying to figure mechanical myself. Because the rules just say no cookbooks, not whole bookcases.
Hollywood3015
House of Motherlode
House of Motherlode
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Hollywood3015 »

Seera wrote:Question:

This rule in the portion talking about what is unlocked when you get a basic airport set up, "Furniture ( Like stated before you only have a tent, fridge, grill, outhouse and sink, not including skilling objects you need. After you unlock the basic airport you now can have couches, end tables, more than two counters and expensive electronics etc." it implies that you can have 2 counters prior to getting a basic airport, but the first part doesn't state that you can have that (I can see 1 counter to get the sink in, but not 2).

And given that you count learning while doing as skilling, how would you handle mechanical since that's so critical to unlocking things? You can't force the toilet or the sink to break so would the bookcase be usable for that? I don't think any Sim would be able to get to level 10 mechanical just by unclogging the toilet and repairing the sink.

I'm also allowing my Sims to have a tub since in olden days people would just carry in water from a well or a lake and fill a tub up for baths, but they have to have a pond on the lot to do that and they can only bathe once per season and only when the pond isn't frozen.
The two counters is so that you can make food one on and have a sink on another. At least when I was playing it, it didn't allow me to make food because I didn't have counter space.

And you can have a bookcase you just can't use it to study cooking.

And tubs are 100% allowed
Seera
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Seera »

Hot dogs can be grilled without counter space. But it is dangerous. I've already unlocked fire services before I unlocked the ability to call them or have a fire alarm XD
Pony
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Ukraine

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Pony »

My first families are happily stuffing their faces with hotdogs. :D
Not having a phone in the beginning is a little tricky for spouse hunting. But I'm about to move to the family that's supposed to unlock electricity. So I hope they can do it in a week.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

This looks like a REALLY cool rules set! It reminds me the Old West, when people would get together in wagon trains, go out together, and found a town together. I like how they have to earn basics like plumbing and electricity (sort of like an EPIC challenge).

I am now tempted to try a BACC with these rules, too. But three Build-a-City stories at the same time is too much for me! Maybe after I actually complete one?
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Hollywood3015
House of Motherlode
House of Motherlode
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Hollywood3015 »

MichelleCYoung wrote:This looks like a REALLY cool rules set! It reminds me the Old West, when people would get together in wagon trains, go out together, and found a town together. I like how they have to earn basics like plumbing and electricity (sort of like an EPIC challenge).

I am now tempted to try a BACC with these rules, too. But three Build-a-City stories at the same time is too much for me! Maybe after I actually complete one?
Yay I'm glad you like it. After I complete some of my challenges I'll come back to this. I really liked the thought of having to earn those things as well. Made it more realistic to me. I can't wait to read it when you do try ♥

Return to “Sims 2 Rulesets”