The Stranded Alien Colony Challenge

MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

The Stranded Alien Colony Challenge

Post by MichelleCYoung »

OK, I've long been curious about the genetic possibilities in this game, and thought of an interesting way to explore them.

Here's the situation: An alien world is suffering a complete cataclysm, and in desperation to preserve their race, they sent out an interstellar colony ship, the only one of its kind (because they did not have time or resources to build more). The crew was chosen based on who had the most valuable skills for survival and building a new colony. However, to be fair, civilians were chosen via a lottery to fill a limited number of "breeder" spots. They have no special skills, but are all certified healthy and fertile. This was done because the crew was going to be busy working, and raising children is a major endeavor, especially if you're trying to raise a lot of them, to build up the race again.

The trip was largely uneventful, with all the civilian colonists, and most of the off-duty crew in stasis. But then, CALAMITY! The ship's engines suffered a total melt-down, and all the stasis pods were released, shot into space in the desperate hope that they would land, somewhere, and manage to survive, despite all odds. They were linked via special alien-communication-technology (call it what you will), so the sims in the pods (awakened upon being released from the ship) were able to communicate with each other, and they knew when each pod was destroyed.

Only one pod survived, crash landing on your Sim world. The traumatized aliens sought help from the natives, and explained their situation. Taking pity on them (and seeing that they were absolutely no threat, and could not even "contaminate" the native sims, being biologically incompatible), the powers that be offered them a disused spot of land, and some starting funds. What they do with it is up to them. They are to live by the same laws as all the natives do, and may fully assimilate into the community, with the only exception being that they CANNOT breed with the local sims. It simply will not work (You can woohoo, but you can't Try For Baby).

The colonists must now breed amongst themselves, to try to maintain their race and establish a thriving alien colony.

Now, here's where it gets REALLY interesting: You civilian space pod had only six sims in it - one female adult and five male adults. The first generation will be easy enough, but with only one woman to start, how will they possibly manage to rebuild their race?

The woman becomes the Matriarch (Generation 1), and passes on rulership of the colony to her chosen daughter, down through the generations, until the Fifth Generation Heiress reaches adulthood, and takes her places as Colony Matriarch. By that time, they should be far enough removed from the original Matriarch to be able to marry at will, rather than based on genetic compatibility or need. In fact, you may choose not to allow your aliens to marry, at all, until their breeding responsibilities have been adequately performed.

Start with 6 adult CAS sims, using a specific skin tone (either download something you like enough to see it all over your neighborhood, or else use boolprop testingcheatsenabled BEFORE entering CAS, plus Shift+N and Shift+M to enable you to access in-game alternate skin tones, such as the default alien, vampire, zombie skin tones. Don't do mannequin skin tone, unless you have a hack to allow it to be passed on to babies). Specific eyes, hair, facial shapes and the like are optional, but definitely choose a specific skin tone that is definitely going to identify these aliens as not biologically compatible with your other sims.

The aliens MAY interbreed with in-game aliens, via alien abduction. However, these half-breed sims may not become Matriarchs. Matriarchs must be full-blooded colonist aliens.

You could make it a Patriarchy, instead, if you wish, but you MUST be consistent on which gender has the babies, and have only one of that type in the founding generation. No Same Sex pregnancy mods! However, in a Matriarchy, you may have a mod to allow females to get pregnant from alien abduction.

Start in an empty neighborhood, with no pre-existing lots in the area (but you can keep all the townies and NPCs). This area is designated as The Colony, and locals have not built anything there, because (insert your reason for it being available here). Locals will not live in the colony borders unless invited to live in a colony household, by existing colonists. They are free to visit as much as they want, though, so you can have thriving business relations with them.

Then, start Building your Stranded Alien Colony (according to your favorite Build a City or Build a Royal Kingdom rules). This would lend itself quite well to a BARQ (Matriarchy, remember?), with the pixel donors taking their ranks according to whatever criteria you set up. Just start them all out together on the same base lot, then move them out as you wish to establish their own homes. It will be different than regular BACC and BARK games, because you start with six sims, BUT, you can never add CAS sims! All future Colony sims must be born in game!

Game ends when the Fifth Generation Heiress becomes an adult and takes her place as the new Matriarch. Count up your Colonists at that point.

5 points for each full-blooded colonist
3 points for each alien/colonist half-breed
1 point for each alien/colonist descendant with less than half colonist blood

All other points you earn will be based on whatever Build-a-________ ruleset you decide to use.

Note: If you expand to Downtown and other sub-hoods, the Colonists still "own" that area, and playable sims must be born in the game, or invited to live with a Colonist. The only exception to this rule is University, which may be mixed with native dormies, mascots, cheerleaders, professors, etc. Alternately, you can build a Colony University, from scratch. If you do this, then use "Boolprop TestingCheatsEnabled true", and shift-click to select the FIRST FIVE colonist students to attend the university. After Shift-clicking on them, you can add them to the Secret Society. They won't get abducted to the Secret Society, but they can go to the lot you set up for them, and then all future playable sims will have to befriend these five starter SS members, in order to join the society, themselves.

Edited to add and clarify:

1 - Because of the genetic limitations, and the Matriarch's need to have AT LEAST five pregnancies, you may choose to give all of your FULL-BLOODED aliens an extra 15 days of adulthood. You can boolprop them a free Elixir of Life on their adult birthdays. Alternately, if you have SimBlender, you can make them three days younger, five times. If you do this, though, do it for ALL full-blooded aliens. Be consistent! If you do the Elixir, and they goof it up, by drinking it in the red or low green, and lose days, then you chalk it up to illness or contamination, or whatever floats your drama boat.

2 - Because they can breed with the telescope aliens, and the colonist/telescope half-breeds can actually breed with the locals (the telescope aliens act as a "bridge" between species), you may want to include either a Multi-PT hack, or if you don't like the looks of any of the available ones, you could create a CAS-alien family that you enjoy, and move them in somewhere hidden (no building, off on the edge of the map), and don't play them. Just have them available so that whenever a FEMALE is abducted by aliens, you can teleport in one of the CAS aliens, and boolprop a pregnancy with that sim.

3 - You may choose to build them a small Emergency Survival Pod, with a limited number of supplies, and let them live in it for at least two weeks (turn off aging!), while the Matriarch uses the computer (ONLY the computer!) to communicate with the leaders of various planets to find a place for her new colony. Your sims CANNOT purchase anything during this time, so it is recommended that you buy at least two fridges to start, or provide some other form of nutriment, such as snack machines, bars, CC food replicators (SimWardrobe has one), etc. The Matriarch can use the computer to chat online and send emails to sims she has met online, and when she becomes Best Friends with a sim she has met online, then she can make arrangements with that sim to get a colony started on their planet. The ESP will not land for at least 2 weeks (travel time), or until she makes her arrangements, whichever comes LAST. The sims can make money by selling novels or digital artwork, getting "space credits," to help them set up at their new place (or to pay the bills during their journey. I highly recommend SimWardrobe's automatic bill payer, for this, so they don't have to get the mail). Obviously, they will not leave their pod during the trip, and they cannot buy new stuff, unless you write in some Space Traders, or maybe Space Pirates, who could steal from them! Personally, I plan to simply not give them a door to the outside world until they land, but the opportunities for drama abound.

4 - You may choose to have your Matriarchs maintain the genetic records, either by writing a best-selling novel each generation, or by painting a masterpiece. If so, then give yourself 10 points at the end of the challenge if you managed it for each generation (1st Matriarach through 4th generation Matriarch. Challenge ends when the 5th gen Matriarch grows to adulthood and takes her place as Matriarch, so we won't count her for this). Be consistent, making the records either visual or written, the same for each generation. If you find a good family-tree .jpg for this, then make that custom painting (must be a masterpiece - worth over $500 - to count for this) and hang the paintings on the wall. If you have Free-Time, you can make the custom books. At the end, you can place them somewhere, to take a picture of all the paintings/novels to show the Matriarch did her duty tracking the genetic pairings. 10 points!

5 - Since the Matriarch's primary duty is to ensure the healthy genetic pairings of the colonists and the continuation of the colony, then all breeding must be approved/assigned by her. After 5 generations, that should be more ceremonial than required, but certainly in the beginning, she needs to track and approve it all. The only way to make it work is for the second generation Matriarch (and her sisters, if she has any), to breed with the first generation men who are not her father. Similar matches will be made down the line, but eventually, ages will start to match up. The rule for the breeding amongst the colonists is that if EA allows the relationship, it is removed enough, and not forbidden incest. Do NOT use an incest mod for this challenge, unless you really want to track the family tree enough to make that kind of choice for a pair, and if you do, then I highly recommend having the Matriarch PUNISH such pairings, for the good of the colony. :pan: You can wrack your brains to figure out the family trees yourself, or just trust EA's coding and say, "It's far enough removed for EA to allow it. It's good." However, the Matriarch certainly WOULD track it, and would prefer the genetic pairings to be as much removed as possible. She may even assign matches, for that purpose. SimBlender is great for arranged marriages, regardless of their actual relationship. You could even use the Science Reward to manage a genetic pairing, if the two sims just can't stand to Try For Baby. But that would only work if you are in a sufficiently advanced society to allow that level of Science.

6 - Adopting and marrying in local sims is perfectly alright, and they would have the same rights in the society as any other member. However, they cannot breed with the full-blooded colonists, and would not have breeding responsibilities, even with mixed-breed colonist/telescope aliens. They would just be part of the family that doesn't breed, that's all. Likewise, if you move in a Bigfoot or create a Servo.
Last edited by MichelleCYoung on October 8th, 2020, 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Radiochocolate
Sweden

Post Counts

Re: The Stranded Alien Colony Challenge

Post by Radiochocolate »

Veeery interesting indeed. I've long been considering an alien RQC myself, but not this spelled out.

If I've understood correctly, the second matriarch would have to mate with one of the original males (that is not her "father"), alternatively a half-breed. Is this what you had in mind? If so, the grey hair as a turn-on might come in handy :lol:

Any thoughts on triplets and quads? Elixir of Life/Cowplant milk? I figure there should be some restriction or penalty there.

Note for myself: in order to achieve "less than half colonist blood", a telescope spawn would have to reproduce with another telescope spawn.
//Currently on a non-committed hiatus from Boolprop and Sims//
Iron Values TPC | Sim!Mia | Simbia Penal Colony BaCC
Sunny's Monster Mash | Sim Scrabble: a TS2 Name Game
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Yes, the second matriarch (and sisters, if available) would have to mate with older males to whom they are not related, and they'd have to alternate on down the line. In fact, I think each one would have to have children with as many males as possible, just to spread the genes around, raising the odds of there being an appropriate match in the next generation.

As for Elixir of Life, Cowplant milk, vampirism, trips and quads, that would be entirely up to you. Personally, I think if you've earned them, they are fair game (Elixir of life, Cowplant), and vampires have their own challenges, so that's fair, too. Trips and Quads - yes, you have more babies, faster, but then again, you have MORE BABIES!!! to take care of. I think they balance it, just by sheer inconvenience. Perhaps if you make a rule that you can have the mod, but all births must be random, so you can't count on it.

If your sims are very fast (making lots of use of their businesses, for example, for their socializing needs to get the relationships up quickly), they can pop out the babies in quick succession. Also, if even one of the businesses manages to raise $1,000,000 before the oldest daughter is a teen, you could open a private college and grow her up as soon as she becomes a teen, then drop her out of college, and she becomes an adult, and ready to start the next generation of babies, while the first generation of men are still relatively young, or at least still alive. That sounds like something Twilight would do.

Also, yes, a hybrid mating with a hybrid, actually would even out. Hmmmm. I'm not sure about that. 1/2 plus 1/2, divided by two... Yeah, I'm not actually sure that last point thing is even possible, now that I think about it. It would be, if you could mix locals in, but you can't, so....

I know!!!! Alien babies, born to local sims, would be biologically compatible with the colonist aliens, because they're all aliens, even if they're a different breed. That works.

However, the matriarch, at least, has to be full blood, so that means a direct line from the matriarch and full-blooded fathers. No hybrids in that line, at all.
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Radiochocolate
Sweden

Post Counts

Post by Radiochocolate »

MichelleCYoung wrote:Yes, the second matriarch (and sisters, if available) would have to mate with older males to whom they are not related, and they'd have to alternate on down the line. In fact, I think each one would have to have children with as many males as possible, just to spread the genes around, raising the odds of there being an appropriate match in the next generation.
*starts mentally mapping out potential family tree*
As for Elixir of Life, Cowplant milk, vampirism, trips and quads, that would be entirely up to you. Personally, I think if you've earned them, they are fair game (Elixir of life, Cowplant), and vampires have their own challenges, so that's fair, too. Trips and Quads - yes, you have more babies, faster, but then again, you have MORE BABIES!!! to take care of. I think they balance it, just by sheer inconvenience. Perhaps if you make a rule that you can have the mod, but all births must be random, so you can't count on it.
Yeah, I agree.
If your sims are very fast (making lots of use of their businesses, for example, for their socializing needs to get the relationships up quickly), they can pop out the babies in quick succession. Also, if even one of the businesses manages to raise $1,000,000 before the oldest daughter is a teen, you could open a private college and grow her up as soon as she becomes a teen, then drop her out of college, and she becomes an adult, and ready to start the next generation of babies, while the first generation of men are still relatively young, or at least still alive. That sounds like something Twilight would do.
Or negative Elixir of Life to the adult stage (one keg should do it, plus an eventual birthday cake). With life extension, one could in theory keep all of the original males.
Also, yes, a hybrid mating with a hybrid, actually would even out. Hmmmm. I'm not sure about that. 1/2 plus 1/2, divided by two... Yeah, I'm not actually sure that last point thing is even possible, now that I think about it. It would be, if you could mix locals in, but you can't, so....
I know!!!! Alien babies, born to local sims, would be biologically compatible with the colonist aliens, because they're all aliens, even if they're a different breed. That works.
However, the matriarch, at least, has to be full blood, so that means a direct line from the matriarch and full-blooded fathers. No hybrids in that line, at all.
So moving in locals and having them be abducted/impregnated by aliens would be encouraged for half-blood purposes.
Half-telescopian/half-local + full colonial = half colonial, 1/4 telescope, 1/4 local

I'm trying to map out all the possibilities but my math doesn't add up at the moment, will try to make a genetic table (Punnett square?) of some sort. What I can say so far is that the "less than half colonial" probably won't add up. If a telescope baby from a local mates with a telescope baby from a colonial, the result will be 50 % telescope, 25 % colonial, 25 % local (ergo, the +1 point can be kept).

Are telescope babies listed as siblings by the game and can telescope babies become pollinated via the telescope?
Radiochocolate
Sweden

Post Counts

Post by Radiochocolate »

Behold!
Spoiler:
The questionmark is there because it would depend on rule interpretation. A TL can be with a C or a CT, but is a CT genetically compatible with a local?

Edit 2019-10-18: Updated image to new host site.
Last edited by Radiochocolate on October 18th, 2019, 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Wow! I am impressed with your graph!

I think that once you get telescope into the mix, it would make them compatible with a local, yes. My theory is that the telescope aliens are a genetic bridge between the colonists and the locals. This actually happens in nature. I forget what it's called, because it's been decades since I studied biology, but yeah, it happens. Species A, B, and C are from the same family, but A and C are not biologically compatible, whereas B can breed with both A and C. Once you start getting mixed breeds in there, it becomes something of a crap-shoot as to whether or not they can breed, depending on the family, and the percentage of B in the mix.

So, I'd say that as long as there is at least 50% Telescope alien in the mix, then they are compatible with anybody. What do you think?

"Are telescope babies listed as siblings by the game and can telescope babies become pollinated via the telescope?"
That depends on whether or not you have a multi-PT hack. If you do not, then they are all children of the same pollination technician, so yes to siblings and no to pollination. But with a multi-PT hack, you can have all sorts of relationships.
Radiochocolate
Sweden

Post Counts

Post by Radiochocolate »

MichelleCYoung wrote:So, I'd say that as long as there is at least 50% Telescope alien in the mix, then they are compatible with anybody. What do you think?
I think that sounds good.
"Are telescope babies listed as siblings by the game and can telescope babies become pollinated via the telescope?"
That depends on whether or not you have a multi-PT hack. If you do not, then they are all children of the same pollination technician, so yes to siblings and no to pollination. But with a multi-PT hack, you can have all sorts of relationships.
So in order to maximise the number of hybrids, you'd have to have several PTs.

I made another table in about how many different full-blood combinations each generation can have, if the first Matriarch has a daughter with each of the 5 males. I did it in the back of a notebook I don't have with me atm, so I'll have to either reconstruct it or wait 'til tomorrow to post it.
Radiochocolate
Sweden

Post Counts

Post by Radiochocolate »

I'm not going to post the image, but here's what I've gathered regarding full-blood combinations:

The 1st gen gives 5 possible pregnancies (pretty obvious). If there are 5 daughters each and these all mate with the "original" (1st) gen males that they are not related with, the result will be 20 pregnancy combos (these are gen 3).
If one were to have at least one male and one female for each gen combo (so basically twins, resulting in 40 sims) and all of these mated with those of their same generation but not related, the result would be 120 sims if I've done my math right. Plus 60 sims if the gen 3 females hook up with the gen 1 males they aren't related to.

I'd boot up a new hood and try it out, but the QBC is leaving me a bit fed up with babies.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Well, I'm both sleep deprived and hopped up on pain pills, and STILL in pain, even after taking the highest dose I'm allowed, so I'm just going to trust you on all that math. :dizzy:

After a nap, I think I might just have to go play it, but first, I need to find a good multi-PT hack, because that Species B seems like it will become more and more important, although at least one line does need to remain full-blooded colonist, for the matriarch.

Darn it, why do I keep thinking of new challenges, before I finish the old ones?!

Although I do get stoked reading your comments on it, Mia!
Radiochocolate
Sweden

Post Counts

Post by Radiochocolate »

So less than an hour after writing that I wouldn't do it, I'm totally in the mood for it (looking up CC and such).

My personal choice of Multi-PT mod is Ancestral Sims by Bigsimsfan12 (at MTS). Delightfully Maxis Match. Although if/when I try the challenge out, I'd like to see how far I can go with just full-blood without "Species B".

I suggest keeping track of who's related to whom, either by a family tree or simply naming everyone by who their parents and grandparents are. For example, Britta-Chris is gen 3, the daughter of Brittany (so her grandfather is Brendon from gen 1), while her father is Charlie (also gen 1).
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

I agree that an alpha-numeric naming scheme would be a great idea! And the in-game family tree is useful, as far as it goes. In fact, I think that some sort of family tree would be vital!

I'd also like to see what sort of uglacy/prettacy could be accomplished here. Perhaps both, by the end of the same challenge!
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

So, after realizing I need to uninstall/reinstall YET AGAIN, but this time on my Mac, and start fresh there, I have some things I wanted to do.
1 - BACC with Clovis Badass as Founder
2 - Another apocalypse, because I LOVE apocalypses and for some reason, they work for my weird brain, even on pain pills.
3 - This challenge. I COULD perhaps, incorporate this into the BACC, as soon as six CAS slots and a Shopping District open up (which won't take long, with Clovis and his 5 Top Level Businesses LTW). Or, I could make it N006, and have three challenges going at once, swapping depending on my mood.

Anyway, I was thinking, as aliens, there is no reason why they should not have a different lifespan than normal humans. So, I would say you may choose to have an alternate rule, where each FULL-BLOODED colonist alien gets a free Elixir of Life upon their adult birthday. If you want to Elixir-up the teen girls, you'll have to earn it, but you can boolprop (or buy with the right mod) an Elixir of Life for each adult full-blooded alien, thus giving them a 15-day longer lifespan (assuming they don't blow it with bad aspiration, but you can chalk that up to "illness" or even "local contamination," or something like that). After all, the Matriarch must have AT LEAST five pregnancies in the first generation, and at least four in generation 2.

Likewise, installing a multi-PT hack would be great, if you find one you like. Personally, I LOVE the original aliens, and all the multi-PT hacks I have found change them, too much (they take away the ears and add noses), but you could, if you want, create in CAS some full-blooded "regular" aliens whose looks you like, and leave them largely unplayed, keeping them around for breeding purposes. For example, when a female colonist is abducted by aliens, she is not impregnated, right? You could use that opportunity, though, to teleport in one of the CAS aliens and boolprop a pregnancy with them. Clearly, the child could not become a Matriarch, but it would be fun for genetics. And obviously, you would need to have custom skin/eyes for the colonists, at the very least. Custom hair that passes down to the children and won't drive you up the wall with its sameness would be good, too, but I know I have not found very many that would work that way, being far too limited and making all the descendants look too much alike. I'd stick to custom skin and eyes and leave the hair to be standard, with the option to get custom hair from one of the CAS aliens, perhaps. Or maybe just two of the aliens have custom hair, the female and one of the males. That leaves the four standard colors, and with six hairs, total, you get good variety, even if that particular genetic hair looks the same on everyone who inherits it. You could have a variety of similar skins and eyes, as well, so you have maximum genetic diversity in your group, while still having ONLY alien genes in the group.

Also, adoption and marrying the local sims would be perfectly legal, and they would be full members of the family, with all rights, and most responsibilities as full-blooded or C/T-blooded sims. They just would not have the breeding responsibilities. But I encourage adoption in real life, so I should not disallow it in game, certainly. But since this is a genetics challenge, sadly that does mean that they cannot breed with sims with whom they are genetically incompatible. But love is love and it should not be blocked. Unless you're going for the DRAMA.
Keeping track of who's who is vital, of course, and the definitely part of the Matriarch's responsibility. She should either write a novel or paint a masterpiece, each generation, to represent her version of tracking the genetics for her generation. Pick one, and require it of each generation's Matriarch. I rather like the idea of her painting a chart. If you find a good family tree .jpg you can use for the custom painting, it would be cool to have them painted and hung on the wall. Also, the Matriarch, as chief tracker of genetic pairings, should be required to approve/disapprove any breeding matches until Generation 5 heiress takes her place as Matriarch. Or maybe even take it all the way to Gen 10, for a full legacy challenge? Although by a certain point, her approval would be more ceremonial than anything. My official ruling is that if EA's coding allows the match, then it is sufficiently removed and should be allowed, unless you can come up with a good reason for it not to be, such as "Yeah, but those lines already have too many crossings, and it will screw over the next generation by limiting their options," or you know, just DRAMA.

Another thing to consider is that the colonists have been in their survival pod for some time before landing. You might want to play their journey. Turn off aging, and keep them completely inside their "ship," for one or two weeks, as they look for a landing place. This gives some time for DRAMA, as they communicate with the other ships, learning each time one is destroyed, as they ration their resources to give them as much travel time as possible, as they try to set up communication with this planet or that, before landing. For example, there was another challenge, where your sim had to be entirely home-bound and use ONLY the computer to communicate with others, via online chatting and email, and build up a relationship sufficient to get a friendship and get the friend to come over, and marry them. Your Matriarch could be in charge of finding a place for HER ship to land, and use the computer to communicate with various planetary governments, looking for a place, and it all has to be online communication, because obviously, no one is leaving or visiting their ship. It is just a survival pod for six, so a small lot with a small "spaceship" on it with whatever starting funds they get would be fine. Then, they can move into new housing once they arrive. Making money would be very limited, of course. They could, conceivably, write novels and even sell paintings (digitally), using "space credits" or some such, to earn an income to pay the bills. With some building cheats, you could even enclose the entry to the lot, so that the postal worker can deliver the bills at the airlock, or something. Personally, I would use SimWardrobe's Automatic Bill Payer. As for food supplies, I would buy a limited number of refrigerators. When the food is gone, it's gone, so no figuring out how to order grocery delivery. You could have them hear about another ship's sims all starving, because their supplies were contaminated/spoiled/never stocked in the first place. And, of course, even if they make money via digital sales of novels/paintings, they could not purchase anything until they land. Unless they meet with some space-traders along the way. Or maybe they'll meet with Space Pirates who rob them, instead! Oooooh. Such opportunities for drama.

Yep, when I do this, I'm going to build them an Emergency Survival Pod for them to live in for two weeks, with aging off, before they land. Correction: AT LEAST two weeks. Two weeks or until the Matriarch makes her arrangements for landing the ESP and setting up a colony - meaning she must make BEST FRIENDS with someone, strictly via computer communication. No telephone use, except to get paid for your novels (you have to answer the phone to get paid - do it but just don't show it - keep the phone in a small "booth"). So, whichever comes last. It will take at least two weeks to travel there, but if it takes her longer to make the arrangements, then it takes her longer. How much were they able to grab in the way of emergency supplies? Did the ESP come pre-stocked, or did they have to fight for coolers and cart them in, themselves? Were any of them separated from family? Did anyone die in the initial disaster (You could create a seventh colonist, boolprop a hideous death, and have them deal with the ghost for the duration of the journey)? SO much opportunity for drama, here. Perhaps it wasn't a planetary government that gave them their land grant, but just some rich sim who had a large parcel of land and decided to let them have it, instead of building the giant mall there, after all. He didn't need more money, but his online friend desperately needed a place to set up, so he gives her a neighborhood/sub-hood where her people can live. They can visit other areas, but until the locals have come to fully accept them, they cannot buy housing anywhere but their particular sub-hood. Ooooh, I am having so much fun thinking of this!

I really need to get my Mac set up to play it again. I think I'll download some "space" CC. Yeah, this is gonna be fun. I am definitely going to do this. My BACC with Clovis, an apocalypse, and this. OOOOOH! I just had an idea for an apocalypse! One of the other escape pods that was destroyed actually made a crash landing, with only one survivor, on a world with very limited technology, so he could not get out a signal, after the crash. The locals ARE biologically compatible, thank goodness, for the survivor's own family line may continue, but there will be no "alien colony," and definitely no full-blooded colonists. But, he still has records of his old technology and society (the bookcase survived!), and over the course of several generations, he and his descendants can bring his primitive adoptive home into the inter-stellar community. It will take about two dozen "lifts," but they can do it! And then, he and his family will finally be able to communicate with the rest of the galaxy, and perhaps discover some other surviving souls from his old home world. Of course, if you're going to play these aliens with a longer adult life-span (full blooded), that would only apply to the founder. And if you DO choose to do that full-blooded aliens get an extended adulthood thing, then you'd have to take the "Lucky Discovery" minor advantage (which for me means also choosing a minor disadvantage to balance it out). Alternately, you can use SimBlender to make them 3 days younger, and do that five times, so no Elixir required. But do that only for full-blooded aliens, please, and only fifteen days, total, after landing.

I think I'm going to edit the original post to reflect that.

Return to “Sims 2 Rulesets”