How long do you make each chapter?

Avery

How long do you make each chapter?

Post by Avery »

Soooo I completed a TS2 legacy back on the old Boolprop forum, and I'm keen to start another one. The problem is I'm super busy, so I was planning on making a "short" legacy where I only post about 5-10 pictures and descriptions for the story.

Do you think that's too short? If so, how long do you usually make each chapter? I'm eager to see what everyone's opinions are on this. :smirk:
modelmgt
Location: Trailer Towers, or astride JoJo the Magic Circus Elephant.
United States of America

Post Counts

Re: How long do you make each chapter?

Post by modelmgt »

I'm not really one to talk about 'too short' (mine are minimum 100 slides) but just do what you can. I actually had a goal at one point for the rebirth of cutting mine down to 50 slides each but it turns out I'm having entirely too much fun to do that. :-)
If 10 slides is what you have time for, then do that.
The Freshnfruity Uglacy II: Rebirth Chapters 1-11: Updated 9-5-2016

Freshnfruity's Livejournal
These Things Just Seem to Happen 1-9:Updated 9-1-22
Fugly Scrapbook & Polls
Avery

Post by Avery »

modelmgt wrote:I'm not really one to talk about 'too short' (mine are minimum 100 slides) but just do what you can. I actually had a goal at one point for the rebirth of cutting mine down to 50 slides each but it turns out I'm having entirely too much fun to do that. :-)
If 10 slides is what you have time for, then do that.
Haha wow that's a lot! Don't get me wrong, I have fun playing the legacy; it's documenting it that feels slightly tedious to me, and with a full time job and other responsibilities, I don't have much time to do that many slides anyway :(

But yay I'm glad to know 10 slides isn't "look down upon." :couple:
Heather
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Steam ID: spacedoggity
Origin ID: pixeldollhouse
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Heather »

I think it largely depends on how you write the legacy, honestly.

If it's a simple blog style legacy with captions and pictures, 5-10 pictures is great. I did something similar for my OWBC through tumblr. Three posts a day, for about a week. My legacy, however, is more of a story than an actual challenge at this point, and those updates can be around 60-100 slides.

I'm assuming you'll be doing the more casual caption style though, so to answer your question: I don't think that's too short. :)
Sam

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Sam »

When I posted a Knight In Shining Armour Challenge, my updates were only 20 slides at a time, as it was a short challenge anyway, so I don't think it's possible to be 'too short'.

I agree with Heather, though. Plot tends to bulk up your slide count!
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

Don't I know it... *glares at challenges listed below* EVERY ONE of them has plot and despite me not wanting to do it, it ends up that way anyway. My longest was 145 slides, my legacy and Apocalypse are the only ones that get that big. Usually I think 25-30 is good for others.
Rflong7
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob

Post Counts

Post by Rflong7 »

Hi :)

If you can do it in 10 slides then Go for it. :D

I start out wanting no more than 60... and then end up with about 100. :(
I've read so many really good stories that don't take 60 pages/pictures to be funny and still give them character but I'm not a good writer so I fill it in with~ Moar Pictures!
shannonagins
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by shannonagins »

If I'm doing it in blog style, I do less pics, mine tend to be 25 long. If I'm doing it in slideshare, then it's a lot longer lol. I should beef up my chapter pumping for happy trails, but I don't have much time to update in.
Welcome to the Trailer Park!
Updated 2/26/2016
Mauricette
Steam ID: coag27
Origin ID: DiamondCoyote

Post Counts

Post by Mauricette »

Yep I'm the same way. Blogs have anywhere from ten to twenty-five pictures and the longest slideshow chapter that I know I have has 255 slides. :D
modelmgt
Location: Trailer Towers, or astride JoJo the Magic Circus Elephant.
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by modelmgt »

Avery wrote: Haha wow that's a lot! Don't get me wrong, I have fun playing the legacy; it's documenting it that feels slightly tedious to me, and with a full time job and other responsibilities, I don't have much time to do that many slides anyway :(

But yay I'm glad to know 10 slides isn't "look down upon." :couple:
The documenting can get tedious at times! But the love of the legacy etc, etc usually will carry me through.
Some ideas I get seem like they'll be relatively simple to throw together until you get down to actual production and then I end up asking myself how I get into these things. :duh: lol..
And then I think about the end result/ goal and go "yep, totally worth it!" all over again. :starry:

As far as the time situation, I work full-time during the week most of the time, and do legacy on saturdays. If I had a net connection on my home desktop I'd probably never sleep; as it is, house rules where I go generally demands I stop by 10 on those saturdays. SO I spend my week working and clearing the way for saturday(and daydreaming of things i want to do for the legacy, getting excited to play, and generally counting the minutes till the weekend), to get as much legacy time as possible that one day of the week I do get to work on it.
It just takes longer to push out a chapter, but 100 slides is possible. :yes:
You find time for the things you love. :plumbob2:
The Freshnfruity Uglacy II: Rebirth Chapters 1-11: Updated 9-5-2016

Freshnfruity's Livejournal
These Things Just Seem to Happen 1-9:Updated 9-1-22
Fugly Scrapbook & Polls
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

I go for about 100 slides per chapter, because that's usually how long it takes to get through what I want to get through for that block of story. I like to end at good stopping points, rather than just post my play-session for the day. Also, I take a lot of pictures, which I like to share. But mostly, I like to have sufficient time to really give my characters a bit more depth than simply giving their sign or personality points.

Although my sims-writing isn't as plotty as some, I do like to have a bit of plot and characterization.
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Faye Silver
House of Motherlode
House of Motherlode
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Faye Silver »

My chapters really depend a lot on which format I'm using. If it's a blog that can be anywhere from 20-30 pictures, maybe more, if it's in slideshare then it tends to be at least 3 times longer, unless its like a short interlude or something. And like everyone else has said, plot tends to make chapters a lot longer.
ImageImageImage Image
ImageImage
[hr]
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

In my apocalypse challenge, the chapters all ran about 100 slides (except for a prologue), but in my bachelor challenge, they've been running 30-40 slides, instead.

I think plot has a lot to do with it. Since my bachelors are on free will almost all the time, I can't get really plotty. And each chapter is one day, so I can't do the "watching the children grow" thing, either.

I say, Just write your story, and end chapters at whatever point feels right to you, and don't bother worrying about size. Some chapters WILL be longer than others, and some will be short, and they're all just as valuable, as long as they make the story progress.
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
mysterymusic7

Post Counts

Post by mysterymusic7 »

I'm one of those people that just can't do the 100+ chapters. Okay I had a few chapters that got kind of long in the Goldweaver family legacy, but for the most part I''m one of those shorter chapter people. I'm okay with this. I work so I don't have time to write up super long stories. *shrug*
Do what works for you I say.
Radiochocolate
Sweden

Post Counts

Post by Radiochocolate »

I've noticed that the more family members I have, the longer my chapters are.

Like the others said, do what's best for you and the format you're using.
//Currently on a non-committed hiatus from Boolprop and Sims//
Iron Values TPC | Sim!Mia | Simbia Penal Colony BaCC
Sunny's Monster Mash | Sim Scrabble: a TS2 Name Game
Little White Comet
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob
Steam ID: littlewhitecomet
Origin ID: LittleWhiteComet
Great Britain

Post Counts

Post by Little White Comet »

When I first started the Sparrows I aimed to do about 50 to 60 slides each chapter so that I can keep an interest. Now that I've got into the legacy and the family is getting bigger I'm trying to get closer to 70 slides each chapter.
I would advise to do what you feel comfortable with, if you want to do a short legacy and then do that.
cowplant

Post Counts

Post by cowplant »

Since Uploading is a bi*ch (birch, of course! :D) with my internet connection, I can't make my chapters much longer than 20 minutes.
~ Winner of the Golden Plumbbobs in the categories of ~
Spoiler:
ImageImage
Find me on:
[Tumblr] ~ [Twitch] ~ [Wordpress] ~ [Youtube]
[The Viridi (Video) Chronicles]
My little lazy legacy
Miss Miserie
Steam ID: Candivase
Origin ID: ZombiePlanet
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Miss Miserie »

50's my magic number, 80 if it's like a special post or something. Short enough for me to work on in short bursts, and long enough to keep readers and visitors interested I think.
pucksummerdream

Post by pucksummerdream »

I always take upwards of 110 pictures, but end up whittling it down to 90-80 by the end.

There isn't some cognitive goal behind this, I'm just obsessive with the camera.
ImageImageImage
Keika
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Keika »

When I'm doing more observational stuff, I usually play/write until I hit between 90 and 100 slides and then cut it off. I tried very hard not to let my chapters run much longer than that, but when I was writing interludes or otherwise heavy story chapters, they could get up to the 200 range. Which is really, ridiculously long. ^^; My current challenge tends to average out at about 20-30 slides per chapter because of the style and because it's restricted down to exactly one week per play, again, unless there's a lot of story stuff going on. ;) From what I can tell, some people like really long updates and some like shorter ones, so there doesn't really seem to be a "sweet spot" that everyone should aim for. Write for your style and your challenge, is my advice.

Return to “Sims 2 Chat”