Which computer is better? (SOLVEDish)

Radiochocolate
Sweden

Post Counts

Which computer is better? (SOLVEDish)

Post by Radiochocolate »

As some of you may know, I'm looking for a simming computer at a reasonable price. I've stumbled on two different ones, but I can't decide which one is better. Help please?

Packard Bell EasyNote
•Intel i3 Dual Core / 2.4 GHz
•Nvidia GT 710M / 2 GB VRAM
•4 GB RAM / 500 GB HDD

HP 15-random numbers
•AMD A8-6410 Quad Core / 2.0 GHz
•AMD Radeon HD 8570M / 2 GB VRAM
•8 GB RAM / 1 TB HDD

(Both have Windows 8, unfortunately)

I want to be able to play for an extended period of time, but I don't know what to get. 2.4 GHz with 4 GB RAM or 2.0 GHz with 8 GB RAM? (I don't really care about whether there's 500 or 1000 GBs of storage)
I've heard that Windows itself and background programs take up a lot of the RAM, but the CPU speed is important too.

Thanks for all the help! :hugs: :drinks: We decided (for now) to go with a third computer, which I listed further down. If we buy something else, I'll tell you ;)
Last edited by Radiochocolate on August 19th, 2014, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
//Currently on a non-committed hiatus from Boolprop and Sims//
Iron Values TPC | Sim!Mia | Simbia Penal Colony BaCC
Sunny's Monster Mash | Sim Scrabble: a TS2 Name Game
Thaitanic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam ID: crimml
Origin ID: re030
Great Britain

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Re: Which computer is better?

Post by Thaitanic »

I'd personally go for higher RAM and also I have a computer with that same AMD graphics card I believe and it runs most games with little stress. So I vote HP 15-random numbers :lol:
call me Thai!
they/them
Seera
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Seera »

I'd actually go with the one with the better processor.

Unless the computer can't take more RAM, it's very easy to add RAM to a computer. It's hard to replace the processor.

Without knowing the specific details of the i3 processor in the Packard Bell, I can't tell you which is better than the other.

And do you play Sims 3 and/or are you planning to get Sims 4?
Radiochocolate
Sweden

Post Counts

Post by Radiochocolate »

Apparently the RAM in the Packard Bell can be increased to 8 GB, but wouldn't that mean tampering with the physical chips?

The only details I can find about the processor at the website they're selling it are the model number (i3-3110M) and the chipset (Intel HM77).

I don't play Sims 3 and am definitely not planning to get Sims 4. *devoted Sims2er*

I called customer service and was advised to go for the one with better processor, but I'm still going with my dad to the store at some point this week to ask them in person.
Keika
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Keika »

Alright, so I took this question to my dad--he's a professional computer programmer. He says that definitely go with the one with a better processor over better RAM. He also said that if you're wanting to play games (like Sims) on it, you should be looking for an "i5" processor, because that's the best one. I don't honestly know what exactly that is, but I think it's from Intel.
Radiochocolate
Sweden

Post Counts

Post by Radiochocolate »

I looked up the i5 processor, but there's nothing with a dedicated graphics card for sale.

I'm convinced. Processor over RAM.
Now there's just the question of which graphics card is better.
Thaitanic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam ID: crimml
Origin ID: re030
Great Britain

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by Thaitanic »

I'm so glad you guys jumped in XD
call me Thai!
they/them
Seera
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Seera »

Radiochocolate wrote:I looked up the i5 processor, but there's nothing with a dedicated graphics card for sale.

I'm convinced. Processor over RAM.
Now there's just the question of which graphics card is better.
If the desktop has a spot for a dedicated card, you can always buy one to add in later (definitely get the help of someone you trust is knowledgeable about computers for this).

My old desktop came with an integrated graphics card. I later bought a dedicated graphics card to go in it.

You can also upgrade graphics cards so I would prioritize the processor over the graphics card.

It's why my current computer has an i7 processor but a mid-low end dedicated graphics card in it.
Simsimity

Post Counts

Post by Simsimity »

Personally I'd go AMD over Intel any day of the week, and six times on Sunday - but that's more personal preference, as I ALWAYS have issues with Intel, so try to avoid it whenever possible. Plus you can overclock on AMD, but not so much on Intel. But I'm only semi-computer geeky, and am not up to date with the newer stuff.
Call me Jenn/Rai, I answer to both!

Proudmoore Sims Downloads
Radiochocolate
Sweden

Post Counts

Post by Radiochocolate »

@Seera: Maybe I didn't make myself clear, but I'm looking for a laptop.

@Simsimity: I'm also leaning towards the AMD, especially with the Quad core and stuff. Haven't decided yet though.
Seera
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Seera »

According to this website (that my tech savvy brother showed me when I was hunting for a new computer): http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

The i3 is the better processor.

The site gives processors numerical ratings. Higher is better

The i3 has a rating of 3068.
The A8 has a rating of 2522

My old desktop had an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ processor which is rated at 533. I also played with an integrated graphics card. I had no real noticeable lag even with all EP's and SP's for Sims 2. It's speed was 2.2 GHz. It would freeze for a half second for wolves and witches, but nothing too horrible. I did in the future add an actual graphics card and increase my RAM and they only difference I noticed was I could see more shadows and see under snow. However, even with all of that, Sims 3 was very laggy.

Given how old Sims 2 is and my knowledge of how it ran on my old entry level computer, the difference between the processors is likely not going to be noticeable, but if you might play other games that are more recent than Sims 2, you may want to research how demanding they are. This includes MMO's as some of them prefer to tax the processor over the graphics card.

The site I linked to also has a video card comparison chart and based on what I saw, the two cards are pretty much identical. It didn't list the nVidia card, but the GT 720 was on it and it's a little higher than the AMD card so I would imagine the nVidia card is in the same ballpark as the AMD card.

I personally don't have a huge preference on Intel vs AMD, but my brother prefers intel. Preference between the two likely comes down to specifics of the processor that are probably much too advanced for Sims. I also have never had any issues with Intel. I would also not overlock the processor unless you absolutely need to and understand exactly how to do it or know someone who does.

Based on what's been posted, I personally would go with one with the i3 unless there is a huge price difference. It's got the better processor and you can always increase the RAM. And if you run into space issues, they do make external hard drives.
Radiochocolate
Sweden

Post Counts

Post by Radiochocolate »

Thanks, always good to have techsavvy people around ;) I looked at the benchmark site, but it didn't give any specific details on why the intel is rated better (except for the GHz). I googled around but didn't get that many proper answers.

I went to a couple of stores today with my Dad, and a sales rep recommended another computer for us.

HP Pavilion 15-random numbers
•AMD A8-6410 Quad Core / 2.0 GHz
•AMD Radeon R7 M260 / 2 GB VRAM
•8 GB RAM / 1 TB HDD

According to several sources, R7 M260 is the best out of the ones I mentioned. Plus the one she recommended has great audio, an aluminium core (so it should handle heat better and won't break as easily), plus several other things that we took a shining to. There are several versions of it in different stores so we won't buy it just yet, but stats-wise we're going with it (for now).

Return to “Sims 2 Help!”