Copyrights?

Voguishstorm

Post Counts

Copyrights?

Post by Voguishstorm »

Hello, I have a question that I hope one of you has an answer for.

I'm planning to create CC paintings for the Sims 3, but the image I use for the painting itself is found on internet. Do you think that violates copyright?
If I can trace the artist (wether on a gallery website or something like that), it would be best to ask, right?
But what if it can't or if it's old art (Let's say, the Mona Lisa, or if the artist is unknown or if it's a wallpaper or image of game/movie -like Zelda) ?
I'm also asking because I do intend to share these, and not keep them for myself, so I don't want to steal anything or claim anyone's artwork as mine. v.v
So basically, what are the rules and regulations for creating CC when it comes to paintings?
ImageImageImage
Gryffindork
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Steam ID: gryffindork7
Origin ID: gryffindork7
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Completed Challenges

Post Counts

Re: Copyrights?

Post by Gryffindork »

Don't quote me on this by any means because I don't have a law degree or anything, but I would assume there's no harm as long as you're not profiting from it, right? It's always good to credit the artist where you can, and if asking their permission is feasible then maybe do that, but I wouldn't worry about it too too much. Especially if it's something like Nintendo - I've seen loads of CC made with video game characters, and I doubt all the makers wrote to head office before uploading their stuff. :P If someone has a problem with it, you can always take it down!

*waits for someone to come along and prove me totally wrong* :dunce:
Image Image Image
cowplant

Post Counts

Post by cowplant »

Don't quote me on this by any means because I don't have a law degree or anything, but I would assume there's no harm as long as you're not profiting from it, right?
Gryffindork, your argument only applies if you have a creative commons license, and even from those, there is only one type that allows sharing and using without propper attribution (including a link to the license itself)

Old Pictures like the Mona Lisa are usually marketed by the museums they're in, but they should be public domain since the artist is dead more than 70 years (http://copyrightuser.org/topics/public-domain/)

If you use a "recently" made wallpaper, you should probably ask for permission.
~ Winner of the Golden Plumbbobs in the categories of ~
Spoiler:
ImageImage
Find me on:
[Tumblr] ~ [Twitch] ~ [Wordpress] ~ [Youtube]
[The Viridi (Video) Chronicles]
My little lazy legacy
Voguishstorm

Post Counts

Post by Voguishstorm »

Thanks a lot for the answers. :D

Obviously I'm not profitting because the content would be shared for free, and I've seen other creators who, for example, made mods that the paintings done by your sims are reaplced with actual masterpieces.
It's less of a problem for me when it's a company that openly shares their wallpapers for free in the first place, but lets say things I see on deviantart, or other online galleries.

For exemple, I'm not worried about slapping a zombie picture from The Walking Dead on a Sims 3 painting, but I don't want to "steal" someone's fan-art of a character from the show. But some people make some awesome art v.v
I'de defenitely name where I took on on TSR, and whenever you'd see their work on my legacy though :haha:
ImageImageImage
Gryffindork
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Steam ID: gryffindork7
Origin ID: gryffindork7
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Completed Challenges

Post Counts

Post by Gryffindork »

cowplant wrote:
Gryffindork wrote:Don't quote me on this by any means
You quoted me!! :hissyfit:
(Sorry, couldn't resist. :P This is good stuff to know though, thanks!)
Image Image Image

Return to “Sims 3 Help!”