Giving One of my PTs Working Eyes

goeswithoutsinging

Giving One of my PTs Working Eyes

Post by goeswithoutsinging »

Okay so this one's probably kinda weird

In one of my neighborhoods, I have a cemetery.

This lot crashes whenever I try to open it.

I also have a Multi PT hack.

I have discovered that, for whatever reason, the lot will not crash if I open it once I have removed the package for PT 99's eyes from my downloads folder. This, however, seems to leave PT 99 without any eyes whatsoever. (I can boot up the game to take screenshots if needed.)

I haven't had any abductions in my neighborhood yet so an NPC for PT 99 does not exist yet, but I can look at his template in the bin for premade sims. (idk what the proper name for the bin is, but it's that thing you access next to the dice in CAS.)

So. Any suggestions on how to remove the custom eye while ensuring I have a functional PT later on?
TB Asylum Challenge - Daily life with the criminally insane. Completed.
River Heights BACC - We have a boot. Ongoing.
Pharith BARKC - Classism and disastrous gardens. Ongoing.
Thaitanic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam ID: crimml
Origin ID: re030
Great Britain

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Re: Giving One of my PTs Working Eyes

Post by Thaitanic »

i dont know how modular the multi pt hack is, but is it possible to just remove the files for pt 99 and keep the other pts? i've never heard of this problem before - is there anything on the graveyard (a custom object which you have there maybe?) which you could remove so the crash doesn't happen? if it's ONLY on the graveyard there might be a piece of cc in that graveyard which clashes with your hack, possibly.
call me Thai!
they/them
katrisims
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob
Finland

Achievements / Awards

Completed Challenges

Seasonal Events

Winners Choice

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by katrisims »

This does seem like an odd issue, never heard of this before. I don't think I can be of help with the original issue, but wanted to comment on the multi-PT thing.

The PT sims are usually separate from the hack, but it's not recommended to remove the sims after installing the mod, as that can cause corruption. You can replace the hack part or remove it entirely if you want to have different PTs or want the default one to do the pollination again, but if you do, the sims should stay in the Downloads folder to prevent corruption. At least according to this thread at MTS, you shouldn't take the sims out even if they don't have offspring yet.

So I wouldn't go the route of trying to take out the PT sim, but rather see if, as Thaitanic suggested, there's another piece of cc that might conflict with the eyes or something. Good luck, I hope you can find a solution!
Pony
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Ukraine

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Pony »

Could the PT in question be given new eyes and then resaved? I remember when I was making my own Multi PT pack I had to do a lot of stuff in simPE to make them happen. Theoretically could one go into simPE and but replace the PT's eyes?
goeswithoutsinging

Post by goeswithoutsinging »

Thanks for the responses, everybody!
Thaitanic wrote:i dont know how modular the multi pt hack is, but is it possible to just remove the files for pt 99 and keep the other pts? i've never heard of this problem before - is there anything on the graveyard (a custom object which you have there maybe?) which you could remove so the crash doesn't happen? if it's ONLY on the graveyard there might be a piece of cc in that graveyard which clashes with your hack, possibly.
katrisims wrote:This does seem like an odd issue, never heard of this before. I don't think I can be of help with the original issue, but wanted to comment on the multi-PT thing.

The PT sims are usually separate from the hack, but it's not recommended to remove the sims after installing the mod, as that can cause corruption. You can replace the hack part or remove it entirely if you want to have different PTs or want the default one to do the pollination again, but if you do, the sims should stay in the Downloads folder to prevent corruption. At least according to this thread at MTS, you shouldn't take the sims out even if they don't have offspring yet.

So I wouldn't go the route of trying to take out the PT sim, but rather see if, as Thaitanic suggested, there's another piece of cc that might conflict with the eyes or something. Good luck, I hope you can find a solution!
iirc the stuff in the graveyard are a couple of tombstones (I have various hacks like nounlinkondelete), some custom plants, pillars, and a fountain. The sensible solution probably would be to try digging some of these out and seeing what works as you guys say, although I am somewhat concerned right now that I may have already borked PT 99's data. (See below) Either way, if my hypothetical plan is confirmed to be a dead end, I will keep this in mind and make an attempt to fix the way y'all suggest.
Pony wrote:Could the PT in question be given new eyes and then resaved? I remember when I was making my own Multi PT pack I had to do a lot of stuff in simPE to make them happen. Theoretically could one go into simPE and but replace the PT's eyes?
I thiiiiiink so? I did a little bit of googling on it and editing genetics relatively safely with SimPE is apparently possible, I just don't have a PT 99 in my neighborhood. I do have his package file in my downloads folder, but it's laid out differently from sim files in the neighborhood itself.

par exemple:

Here's the DNA from a random townie! Various stuff is indicated by strings of numbers, such as his hair or skin color or most relevantly, his eye color. iirc if you have the right numeric string for, say, a different eye color, you can plop it into the correct slot and it'll work alright and not break his DNA. (again, iirc- I am faaaaaaar from a simPE expert.) In fact, this method can be used to FIX a sim with broken DNA.

PT 99's package in my downloads folder doesn't look like this, although there is a section that looks similar...

...it's not laid out quite so straightforwardly but if you look around you can find numeric strings for skin and hair color like those of Ratna Despret up there. Not eye color, though, which is probably already an indication that Goeswithoutsinging Dun Goofed. I do have the file for his eye color out of my downloads folder atm (in my defense, I was TRYING not to break poor PT 99, but his eye color looks very similar to another one that was bundled with the files) so maybe putting it back in would fix it (but not my graveyard issue). I am hoping that I can just insert the string for default grey eyes or some such and then everything will be fine, but I'm not sure if I'm correct, so.
TB Asylum Challenge - Daily life with the criminally insane. Completed.
River Heights BACC - We have a boot. Ongoing.
Pharith BARKC - Classism and disastrous gardens. Ongoing.
Pony
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Ukraine

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Pony »

Hmmm, I'm a dunce :duh: Since I made my own Multi PT pack, I have access to the individual Pts in two format. The original sim I made, and the PT version. The game reads Pts as objects, so of course their files would be different. I wonder if it would mess the game up to create a completely new PT 99 and save over the borked one's data. Giving it the same GUID. Or seeing if you can find the original PT 99 that's not an official PT yet, then editing the eyes.

Return to “Sims 2 Help!”