Old Save File + New Install = Glitches?

Akivara

Old Save File + New Install = Glitches?

Post by Akivara »

Playing with an old save file in the new ultimate collection has caused a couple of glitches.

One where I was able to get five sips out of an elixir bottle with only 3 sips left, I don't mind that. I imagine the new game "reset" the elixir to its initial state without updating its graphic/model/whatever.

The other is more serious -- a sim's gravestone disappeared! He's still in the game I think (he shows up on family trees and such) but I don't think he can show up as a ghost without a gravestone. Can I fix this with the batbox, or maybe can I resurrect him without his gravestone (so he can die again and leave another gravestone)?
Olive Specter

Re: Old Save File + New Install = Glitches?

Post by Olive Specter »

You could always try the Tombstone of L+D to get the gravestone back, I assume.

This might be a long shot as I don't know if this is an issue in TS2, but when you last saved that game, did you have all the packs and updated patches like The Ultimate Collection has? I know some non-Sims games sometimes have trouble playing old saves after a game has been updated, as it causes glitches or makes the save impossible to play.

Did you have any mods that you don't have now? Did you have any active cheats or hacks when you were playing that save last?
:woot:
docnerd

Re: Old Save File + New Install = Glitches?

Post by docnerd »

That happened to me with an old save game and a fresh install on a new computer. It's no big deal, but you're right, you won't get ghosts.

You should still be able to resurrect the dead Sims, with either the genie or the Bone Phone (cheat yourself one, the other, or both if you need to). You can then just kill them with the Tombstone of L&D (be careful, sometimes they won't automatically be permaplat if they were when they died), or use the Batbox to re-spawn their urnstones (make the Sim you want to die the active Sim, then click the Batbox. It's been awhile, I don't remember whether you need to be in debug mode or not to get that option).

I had to do that for five or six generations of dead Sims. I'd recommend caging everyone up outside and using maxmotives (literally caging them up, like put a gateless fence around them). If you don't contain everyone, then you get every Sim who lives in the household trekking across the lot to wherever you're re-killing the Sims to sob, even if they didn't meet them in life, because they get relationship with them just from having them added to the household when they were rezzed. This behavior gets old, quick. If they're contained, they can't wander around. I don't recommend doing the re-killing in the house, because the first time they haunt, they will spawn where they were killed, and having three ghosts simultaneously spawn in the middle of the kitchen and spend the rest of the night in the house, for several nights on end (depending on the number of Sims you need to do this with), is sort of nerve-wracking (do not kill the pregnant lady!). LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES.

If you have multiple generations, remember that, with the Bone Phone, a Sim can only resurrect someone they actually knew (not sure about the genie lamp; and I think you can do it with witches too?), so if you're going that route, you'll have to have someone, say, resurrect his grandmother, who resurrects her parents and grandparents, and then you kill most of them, but leave someone alive who can resurrect THEIR parents/grandparents. Obviously how much room for Sims you have in the house will factor into this (unless you have the hack that allows you to have more than 8 playable Sims in a household).

If you don't already, make sure you have the tombstone hacks from MATY, nounlinkondelete and romanceurnstonefix (I'm guessing on the name of the second one, that should be close though). I'd also double-check with SimPE and make sure none of the dead-but-missing-tombstone Sims' character files are corrupted. If you click on their names and get a Mr. Potato Head picture, something has gone wrong, and you should start doing a rebuild before things get too bad.
You can find me at my Livejournal.

Return to “Sims 2 Help!”