Windows 10

nox

Windows 10

Post by nox »

So as a Windows 8 user, I have the option to upgrade to Windows 10. Has anyone done this? If you have, does Sims 2 still work? Thanks :)
Taube
Origin ID: 22Taube

Completed Challenges

Post Counts

Re: Windows 10

Post by Taube »

I haven't yet, but am wanting to upgrade and am kind of terrified of it at the same time. I'd be devastated if I couldn't play Sims 2, and when I first got my Windows 8 machine, I had to do a bunch of research and find a program that adjusts the graphic rules to get it to even work! So yeah, I am also interested in this question.
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

Heard that Windows 10 has even more issues with trying to install Sims 2 on it than 8 did. Sometimes I wonder if it's even worth the effort to try to install an 8 year old game on a brand new OS. Feels kind of like talking in Sumerian to an English speaking computer sometimes.
nox

Post by nox »

Taube wrote:I haven't yet, but am wanting to upgrade and am kind of terrified of it at the same time. I'd be devastated if I couldn't play Sims 2, and when I first got my Windows 8 machine, I had to do a bunch of research and find a program that adjusts the graphic rules to get it to even work! So yeah, I am also interested in this question.
I had to do the same thing to get Sims 2 to work and can't even remember where I found instructions or how to do it :(
Heather
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Steam ID: spacedoggity
Origin ID: pixeldollhouse
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Heather »

My dad had an early access version of Windows 10, and I was able to install the full collection on it without any problems.
Taube

Completed Challenges

Post Counts

Post by Taube »

nox wrote:I had to do the same thing to get Sims 2 to work and can't even remember where I found instructions or how to do it :(
Just in case it comes in handy again, I used the program linked at the top of this page, and the rest of the page has instructions that sometimes work for people. The same people are also doing a Windows 10 page, but I haven't tried any of that because I'm still too scared to update yet. :?

Heather, that's good to know. I'm going to wait until there's a bit more information out there before I try it myself!
nox

Post by nox »

Taube wrote:
nox wrote:I had to do the same thing to get Sims 2 to work and can't even remember where I found instructions or how to do it :(
Just in case it comes in handy again, I used the program linked at the top of this page, and the rest of the page has instructions that sometimes work for people. The same people are also doing a Windows 10 page, but I haven't tried any of that because I'm still too scared to update yet. :?
Ohh haha you used the program, I followed the instructions. Thank you for the link!
WistfulRose

Post Counts

Post by WistfulRose »

I updated to windows 10 without even considering what it would do to sims 2. (dumb me) Now it's stuck in 800x600 resolution. I've tried the instructions, but I can't seem to find the Tsdata folder, and therefore all the following files, to fix it. I tried using the program, but nothing.
Any ideas?
Taube

Completed Challenges

Post Counts

Post by Taube »

The links I posted were for problems with Windows 8, but the same site has a (more limited) thread for Windows 10 too. Is your graphics card Intel by any chance? They have a fix specifically for minimum resolution with an Intel card.

Otherwise, my TSData folder (the one that should be edited, anyway) is on the following filepath: Windows (C:) > Program Files (x86) > Origin Games > The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection > Fun with Pets > SP9. Are you looking there or are you in the files in Documents? You also have to go to the latest EP/SP, which, if you have UC, is the one I listed above. If you already knew this, please forgive the repetition. :)
WistfulRose

Post Counts

Post by WistfulRose »

Thanks. I was looking in documents instead of program files. I fail...
I tried all of the fixes that seemed applicable, but nothing worked. I think my game hates me. :banghead:
Taube

Completed Challenges

Post Counts

Post by Taube »

Aw, that sucks. I'm not computer-smart enough to be able to offer anything else, but if I come across anything, I'll be sure to post it. Sorry. :(
WistfulRose

Post Counts

Post by WistfulRose »

I'm not that computer smart either. thanks for the help.
Keika
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Keika »

Sorry Rosie, I wish I could actually help. :P

For what it's worth, I updated to Windows 10 this morning (on the reassurance from some source online that said I could revert back to 8 if I wanted to) and my copy of the TS2 UC works exactly as it did before, without a need to reinstall or anything. :)

I also had to work with fiddly resolution stuff when I installed it on my Windows 8 computer, but I can't remember what I did exactly to get it to work. However, it seems to have carried over with the game and not complained against the operating system.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Rose! It's good to see you back here, and now I understand why you haven't been updating your stories. Yikes. That's awful.

I sure hope you manage to make it work for you, again. Do you know any local computer-savvy friends? I'd send my nephew over to visit you, but you're probably not in Texas, are you?
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!

Return to “Sims 2 Help!”