What are you building?

MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

What are you building?

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Ever gone on a building spree? I am.

I had built a sort of medieval dorm for my peasant sims, when they go to University. Then, I started play-testing it. Then I turned it into a single-sim vacation hotel for medieval peasants who can afford a vacation. Now it's a dorm, apartment, and hotel. And now I turned it into a Medieval Family Flop House, which of course, I will also turn into a Medieval Family Hotel, and possibly into a slightly nicer dorm than the one with 10 "cells," each with a bed and desk.

For the flop-house/single-sim apartment, I found that the want-fulfilling pictures (from ModTheSims - http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=549880) are wonderful. Each picture, which can be set to "invisible" (which is really a sort of gray box, but still, it can be made to blend, or covered up), will get rid of those stupid "I want a toilet" wants, despite the fact that there are four in the common areas. It's wonderful, as my play-tester now is able to roll real wants! The common area takes care of all his needs, except sleep. I LOVE my flop house! I think I'll build a modern one, as well. Great for poor (or miserly) sims!

One thing I did notice, though, is that if you put the cafeteria stove in your apartment lot, you have to delete the old one and put in a new one, each time you place the lot (so if you want a row of matching flop-houses, you place them all, and then change out the cafeteria stove BEFORE you move in any sims!). Something about the packaging messes it up, somehow, so that the cafeteria worker doesn't show up. Also, I have a mod (from www.simwardrobe.com - http://www.simwardrobe.com) that allows cafeteria workers to appear on apartment lots! In communal areas, of course. It's fantastic!

I just love it when I come up with a lot that I like so much, I just have to repeat it in various iterations, with a few tweaks here and there, to make wonderful homes/vacation spots for my sims.

So, how about you? What are you building? What sort of thing is pulling you in to build more similar things? And what sort of things do you want to change?
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Scribal_Goddess

Post Counts

Re: What are you building?

Post by Scribal_Goddess »

Let's see...

Recently: Still rebuilding Riverblossom Hills. I want everything JUST SO but I'm also terrified of the lot adjuster for no reason, so I haven't built the new "town center" since it's gonna be the police office, post office, all the other decorative things on two sides of one street. (It's just for staging stuff.)

Built an activities ground for my BACC, since they're in a "reality show" and they're going to do competitions at the end of every season. Currently it's set up for a digging derby, with the person who earns the most money digging winning a prize. It's also got a lovely grill/socialization area for the "spectator" sims, who are everybody not randomly selected to dig. (Since 3/6 of the women are pregnant and therefore excluded from digging and 3/4 of the men live in the same household and are therefore the same "team" I expect there to be nothing but flirting going on in the spectator zone.)

Most recently I built a rather pretty Architecture firm for the architect in my BACC, but he hasn't earned enough money to buy it yet. It's a 1x3 building, and it's essentially a place to stash the blueprint easel and sell a bit of art off the walls in a 6x6 room. Tesla (my architect) also gets to sell junk he dug up there. I can also start updating the homes in my BACC once I do that, because each one is three 5x8 boxes with internal divisions because they were "shipping crate" style homes. They're going to be a traffic hazard as soon as my sims make good on the impending baby wave.

Probably going to try and make a good swimming hole (invisible tiles pool in a pond) next, I don't like how my last turned out. I think I've been building the swimmable area too big.

After that, it's probably going to be some form of farmer's market for the BACC's designated orchard tending / beekeeping family. And anything else I need to setup Riverblossom Hills to have the Elven Heritage Legacy start running in it again... like redesigning the Elkthorns' house for the 5th time. (Elirand will be inheriting it and I know he's having more than 2 kids. Plus, there's no space for a second master bedroom as it currently stands, which makes it pretty legacy-proof in my opinion.)
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

wow! That sounds like a lot of fun.

I like your idea of a game show, too. A dig off! How original. I would not have thought of that. And you can family-funds cheat away the money, if you don't want them to get rich off of it, while still winning "fabulous prizes," too.

After a dream I had last night, I have decided to visit Slmlogical, and try my hand at a ruined prison/"processing center." I want to see how well I can keep sims alive for a week, on free will. I mean, I'll have to do some things like call them all into the mess hall, and send them to their cells at night, and that sort of thing, but I do want to see what will happen, and if I can design it to be functional enough to keep them all alive for a whole week.

Playing the Lermas family and the Parker family have given me a new appreciation for free will. I've even started another attempt at an asylum challenge, but I got dragged away from that by this dream of a prison, so... I don't know if any of this will ever see the light of Boolprop, but it's fun to noodle around with it, when I do not feel like doing my "work," on my posted challenges.
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Scribal_Goddess

Post Counts

Post by Scribal_Goddess »

MichelleCYoung wrote: I like your idea of a game show, too. A dig off! How original. I would not have thought of that. And you can family-funds cheat away the money, if you don't want them to get rich off of it, while still winning "fabulous prizes," too.
They only dug for about six hours, so they're hardly rich, lol. (Well, one girl dug up a treasure chest, but the BACC is so low on funds right now it's hilarious. Most people have maybe a thousand dollars total and can't earn more than a few hundred a day with methods other than digging anyway.) So I let them keep their winnings, most of the families spent it right away on equipment for my neighborhood's sudden, ACR-inspired baby boom.

I have all sorts of shops I want them to open once I have funds, though. I already built what will eventually become a real estate office. (Can't play it as one now - no one can afford the land. :angel1: )

Return to “Sims 2 Chat”