How Do You Play?

LaurenElizabethJayne
Origin ID: Lauren_Dillon_x

How Do You Play?

Post by LaurenElizabethJayne »

Hey, so I am trying to get back into Sims 2. I had always loved it, never got into the Sims 3 but have really been enjoying Sims 4.

Just wondering how you guys play the sims 2? In Sims 4 I focus on one family and sometimes play others in the neighbourhood, but with them automatically aging I don't feel the need to. When I used to play the Sims 2 I loved that you could focus on every family individually, but since I have got used to the auto story progression, am feeling a little bit daunted with how to get back into that style of playing.

So would love to know how everyone else manages the game and maybe I could try a different play style to help me get back into Sims 2. :plumbob2:
ZaleISBI
Team Moderator
Team Moderator
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Re: How Do You Play?

Post by ZaleISBI »

I love this series, so many different players with so many different ways... I was a huge Sims fan, the original series. Then I was obsessed with TS2, but busy with college and such - so when I was finally able to buy a computer, and play games again, I was all about TS3, and subsequently, TS4. I do have 2, and enjoy it still, and I love reading people's TS2 stories... but I'm a die hard 3 and 4 player. So I'm not much help to you, but just wanted you to know that I'm very interested in seeing what everyone else has to say! :)
itsjulie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by itsjulie »

I used to love sims 2 and I keep saying im going to put it onto my old pc - but have never get round to it

I was a total sad sack when I played 2 because I played with one family who I kept alive for the whole entire time.
I had a couple who had 4 boys - and I moved the 4 boys into houses of their own with their spouse and used to rotate between the houses.
I never ventured out into the neighbourhood ... I guess if I do get round to trying it again - I will be more adventurous

Sims 3 is my passion now and I honestly can not see myself ever moving away from it.
Spoiler:
Currently all on hiatus
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Completed
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

I have oodles of families, but only really play the ones that excite me. And then, sometimes years later, I'll go back and say, "HEY! I kinda sorta remember these guys. I think I'll play with them for a while," and the next thing you know, I'm sucked in. This makes it hard to keep up with my POSTED stories, since I have a very hard time playing without stopping to write stuff (I have a rather observational play style, rather than planned and plotted story-telling), so I have oodles of PowerPoints going.

It all depends on my mood.

I'm really into Sims 2, because I LOVE the flavor of it, and also, when I switched to a Mac, I went years without it, and missed it soooooooo much, that I went to great lengths to get it working on my Mac, and then, finally, bought a Windows laptop specifically for playing games I could not play on Mac, but had missed over the years. Lord of the Realms, Tropico, and the like. I like old games.

Also, Sims 3 has never been very stable for me, so although I do love it (and particularly love World Adventures - it sucks me in like crazy!), I wind up switching back to Sims 2, because of frustration and game crashes. But I do love it so much that I keep going back and braving the game crashes, so... It's kinda pathetic, really.

I've never been able to get Sims 4 to actually WORK on either of my computers, though. Oh, sure, it will load, and I can create a sim, and build a house (it takes forEVER, because of lag issues), and then I can watch them take an hour to get their meal from the grill to their mouths. Not an hour to eat. An hour to get the plate of hot dogs off the grill and the first fork-full to their mouths. Then they have to take another hour to eat. And two hours to pee. Don't even get me started on showers. They have no time to do anything other than basic survival. Since other players manage to make their sims actually DO things, I have to conclude that this is not normal, and it's just my computers. BOTH of my computers. So, if I'm ever rich and famous, and can afford a really zippy-woo computer, I may try Sims 4 again. There's a lot of cool stuff out there. I'm particularly interested in the vampires and TODDLERS! HOORAY! I still can't believe that it took this long for EAxis to put in something that should have been base game, in the first place.
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Sam

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Sam »

I like to give myself some sort of goal or challenge, something to aim for whilst I play. I just did the Quad Pod mini-challenge for my OWBC because of this, and it worked out well. Before that, I was making one sim all of the creatures in the game.

I'm also playing a family legacy-style according to their wants. I actually picked it up from strangetomato's Tomato Legacy - she kept the whole family on one lot (for as long as possible), and only sims who wanted partners and kids got them (excluding the founder, also I believe ACR was on). There was also a "take every opportunity" rule, so no ignoring chance cards and such. And if a sim rolled the want for a baby, she HAD to fulfil it. I just thought it was a really interesting way to play, so I'm giving it a go.

:)
Last edited by Sam on March 30th, 2017, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

I started out with Apocalypse Challenges, so one family over several generations over a few years of playing, with very little playing of spare families.

Then I started playing the Build a City Challenge which requires growing a neighborhood from scratch and playing the families in rotation. I'm really enjoying it because I do like some goals, but this way is really flexible for how I choose to achieve them. I have some families with lots of kids, some with one or two or none, single people, single parents, roommates, some struggle financially and some are rolling in money (but that they've earned). Some households are in mini challenges, some are played based on their wants. Some are happy, some aren't. Many own businesses because of the nature of the BaCC, some have regular jobs, some make a living off the land or what they can produce from home. I pretty much have a mishmash of everything going on there!
Image Image
ISTJ
modelmgt
Location: Trailer Towers, or astride JoJo the Magic Circus Elephant.
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by modelmgt »

I've posted this somewhere on Boolprop before, but why not again?

Sooo..
I have several 'hoods set up, and where I play depends on what my intentions are.
There is a straight-playing, do the wants, no cheating, hook 'em up and make families 'hood setup in Pleasantview.
I have 2 versions of Strangetown:
Spoiler:
The one I started with, with the aim to make everything as strange as possible, has botched makeovers galore, a mix of aliens, robots, plant sims, werewolves, bigfoots, and regular sims. Did I mention aliens? A crap-ton of those. Like, so many that they have their own downtown that I'm pretending is like they're colonizing Mars, from doing abductions at the Smiths, Curiouses, and Grunts. The original alien offspring are all named cosmic-themed hippie names, like Ziggy Stardust and Mystic Spiral.
The other Strangetown is one I rescued that has my Freshnfruitys living there. Because I focused on them, I never played the premades until recently rediscovering them. I also have the characters from the reel-style presentations there. So far I'm playing the premades straight, but in ways I didn't do the first go-'round.
I have a wreck 'hood for times when I wanna live dangerously(via the game) or experiment with some idea:
Spoiler:
like a bed store they can. . . have "dates" in as well as public showers that look like a faucet, or a giant dirt lot for them to go and dig (whee!)
Everyone there has food poisoning(everyone eats nothing but spoiled food) most have heat-stroke and sunburns (from constant summer), and some also the flu, because of the carriers of the virus living there. AT MOST each family gets one toilet, which gets interesting with families of 8. Such as 7 hyperactive kids (with all the sicknesses) and one adult.
They have zombies, a playboy trying to juggle ALL of the women in the 'hood, a vampire coven, a lady that's meant to go around handing out cheesecakes (burned & rotten, naturally), a *ahem* house of "ill repute", and a lot experimenting with the different colors of ghosts.
There's a vacation 'hood for it with constant winter and some non winter-friendly entertainment, such as a frozen pond and a public pool.
I have a mansion 'hood with huge houses furnished with all of the best things, and beautiful people.
I also have a small 'hood with recreations of RL people and places. It's nice for playing with folk who aren't alive any more, but not nice for times like when your sim-grandparents want to do things you don't want to oversee. :shifty: :no:
Then I have a good/evil 'hood. . .
Spoiler:
with the main hood being the "good" with a park that once was where fairies lived (lots of decorative concrete statues) and also has the fauns & nymphs, the gardening, baking, toy-making and fishing elves, etc.
The "evil" side is a downtown with an evil sorceress whose cat used to be her husband (according to the story) and who's keeping the good side in eternal winter. It has a barber's that was built after the Johnny Depp version of the Sweeny Todd musical, an evil robot scientist ( with a horde of evil 'bots) 3 lots full of zombies made after the worst people I've ever met, werewolves, vampires, and evil Satyrs. Oh. And a run-down, shady bar.
The Freshnfruity Uglacy II: Rebirth Chapters 1-11: Updated 9-5-2016

Freshnfruity's Livejournal
These Things Just Seem to Happen 1-9:Updated 9-1-22
Fugly Scrapbook & Polls
Ellenyarai

Post Counts

Post by Ellenyarai »

Sims 2 for me is my guilty cheat game. I honestly can't play sims 2 without throwing a maxmotives in every few minutes because I want them to do SO much that I can't spare time for them to eat or sleep. It's pretty much why I don't post my sims 2 legacies here because I cheat my way through them. SO much fun though. I get burnt out on Sims 4 every few months but I don't for Sims 2. Sims 3 for some reason WON'T WORK on my computer (why? Sims 4 works fine?). But if you are looking for a fun way to get back into Sims 2 I would recommend a BaCC. It forces you to play many different families with many different lifestyles and reintroduces you to the fun aspects of the game!
Scribal_Goddess

Post Counts

Post by Scribal_Goddess »

Currently I'm playing a BACC on a one day rotation. Saves me from having to negotiate weird ages when recombining families - I can either move people in at the beginning of a day (for sims whose families aren't started in the rotation yet,) or after 6 (for sims who have already been through the rotation.

I've got a system of restrictions in place in addition to the BACC that need tweaking, and I'm cheating to run events right now. Last season's event was a dig derby, since I needed to raise funds. In a couple seasons it will probably be a cook-off.

Return to “Sims 2 Chat”