Oh Fudge. (University keeps randomly moving out students.)

Scribal_Goddess

Post Counts

Oh Fudge. (University keeps randomly moving out students.)

Post by Scribal_Goddess »

I'm having a bit of an issue with my university dorms. Twice now I've saved a dorm's gameplay and closed the game... and come back to a game that crashes when that lot is opened. Upon reopening, the students have been moved out of the dorm and it registers the lot as empty... they can still be summoned via the teleporter shrub by their previous household name and moved into other lots, and those lots run fine thereafter. They do, however, get renamed to their simPE instance name, which is a string of numbers followed by their first name, so I am somewhat worried.

I don't have any hacks that should alter university function, except for the college timer, which I've been running for 3+ years now with no issues. I have no hacks that affect combining households or moving sims in and out. I also don't have any new cc or mods in my game for the last eight months or so, and I've played university just fine for several months since then, so one doubts it's that. This doesn't happen every time I use a dorm, so partitioning might not be useful anyway. I'm not sure exactly what I need to replicate the glitch to begin with, and the first time it happened I thought it was a one-time thing because the first dorm it happened to was glitchy. :pan:

Does anyone have any other method for figuring out what is causing this issue?

In the meantime, I guess I won't be using dorms anymore. :popeye:

Thanks!
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Re: Oh Fudge. (University keeps randomly moving out students

Post by MichelleCYoung »

I have no idea.

In the meantime, though, I think I'd just let the old dormies be homeless, and create fresh ones for the dorm you're currently using.
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Scribal_Goddess

Post Counts

Problem is, it dumped my playable college sims and the legacy family college students into the apparent dormie pool. Found that out when I went in to troubleshoot last night and tried to open the Legacy house to summon the spares' dorm-dwelling boyfriends to check on them.

I can't summon them with the summon shrub anymore, they don't show up under the correct last names, and this is highly concerning...

... If I stop now I can probably extract them all and rebuild and just give them the degrees they've already earned with the batbox. I think. If not, I may still have almost all of them from my previous rebuild.

Thanks anyway though, I'm just going to build a new neighborhood and institute a ban on all NPC spawining items, like the cafeteria stove. Because I can't think of anything else that would cause a dorm to kersplode...
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Maybe you could have another sim invite them to move in with him? Just long enough to get them back into play.

Sometimes, I'll set up a neighborhood with a "non-playable playable" just for this sort of thing. I don't play him, and don't use him for story-telling, but that's where I kill off unwanted sim bin sims, and send them to the graveyard, or move in townies to make them playable, and then move them to the sim bin from there.

It's worth a try. You might need to make sure that all your dorm sims have cellphones, so they can be called, even in the sim bin.

A witch could do Apello Simae, if she knows the sim, so that might be worth a try, as well. If your utility sim uses the "make me know everyone" cheat on the mailbox, that might just work.

Good luck!
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Scribal_Goddess

Post Counts

MichelleCYoung wrote:Maybe you could have another sim invite them to move in with him? Just long enough to get them back into play.

Sometimes, I'll set up a neighborhood with a "non-playable playable" just for this sort of thing. I don't play him, and don't use him for story-telling, but that's where I kill off unwanted sim bin sims, and send them to the graveyard, or move in townies to make them playable, and then move them to the sim bin from there.

It's worth a try. You might need to make sure that all your dorm sims have cellphones, so they can be called, even in the sim bin.

A witch could do Apello Simae, if she knows the sim, so that might be worth a try, as well. If your utility sim uses the "make me know everyone" cheat on the mailbox, that might just work.

Good luck!
Thanks, but I went in in SimPE and they were all screwed up. Remade the neighborhood. I'll probably try to see what else can be salvaged from the original soonish, since I didn't actually delete it.

I think the problem comes from having moved in the alpha werewolf, since it started on a lot with sims that came from the family that had the werewolf. Not sure what else went wrong that made it work like that, but... *Obsessively saves everything in SimPE*
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Oh, yeah. Don't try to move in Death, Mrs. Crumplebottom, the repo-men, social workers, unsavory charlatan, ninja, witch doctor, or other such "unique" sims, because they have incomplete files. Mrs. Crumplebottom, in particular, can be sooooooo problematic. If she is bitten by the Grand Vampire, you must immediately exit without saving, or your entire GAME will be destroyed, and there is nothing you can do but reinstall, completely.

That is why, as entertaining as she is, I installed a mod to simply remove her from the game. If she never shows up, she can't screw things up. After all, I can't watch the vampires every minute, can I? But with her out of the way, if they decide to go on a biting rampage, well, it just adds drama to the neighborhood.

I never thought about the Leader of the Pack in that way, but I'm sure you're right. It's safe enough to adopt other wolves, but not him. And anyway, you can't even teach him commands, so that's a pretty big hint that he does not have a normal character file. It's not "Wolf Plus Leader" status. It's "Leader with some wolfishness" status. Not safe.

Well, good luck with fixing it.
Scribal_Goddess

Post Counts

Yeah, with the wolf leader - I assumed he was like the Grand Vampire or Head Witch, and could be moved in. (ER... no.) Should have figured something might be wrong when he was untrainable (though all his relationships work? Like, Daisy was his master?) but apparently I'm not a very smart pixel goddess. :pan:

Moral of the story: don't move in anything that doesn't have the option.

New neighborhood has an appearance clone of him that is just a regular wolfdog. And it's on a different computer, so I'm doubly safe. :)

OOOH! This explains my vanishing portals from the original Greenman lot too, probably! Sims couldn't go to work or school because their character files were being shredded! (They could walk or drive to community lots, but they refused to vanish into nonbeing.) I probably saved the Frosh dorm while Briar Greenman (The greenmans adopted the stupid wolf) was in class and it FUBAR'D the lot of them. Then when I summoned one of the freshmen off that lot to join the Elven Heritage House, she had shredded files, and it proceeded from there, because I played two semesters almost before the legacy greek house went up in a ball of inexplicable flames.

:spin: I should not be this happy, but now I can use dorms again! I had resolved not to because I thought it was a lot corruption issue having to do with the MATY dormie fixes hating Apartment Life or something. Now I can just drop them right back in and send the next wave off to college without having to bother with figuring out any workarounds like the Squinge College Pack. (Though I'm gonna get it eventually...) and I can finish setting up the new Riverblossom without worrying that I'll just blow it up again!

When it comes to the vampire/crumplebutt problem, I have the "no autonomous biting" hack and I routinely ban head vampires and head witches from community lots anyway, because their arrival produces significant lag. (And because I routinely make my own witches and vampires via a hack or the batbox.) I thought I was safe... the wolf leader shouldn't produce issues if interacted with normally, though, so I guess I don't have to ban him.

:hug: Thanks, I understand so much now!

Return to “Sims 2 Chat”