Tips on organising Downloads

Radiochocolate
Sweden

Post Counts

Tips on organising Downloads

Post by Radiochocolate »

Most CC-hoarders have to re-organize their Downloads folder at some point. With this thread, I hope that together we can change each other's experience of this from meme 1 to meme 2, if not completely then at least a bit.
Spoiler:
Image Image
My first tip is not to make your sub-foldering too deep since that can slow down your loading time, as can ridiculously long file names. 4 recursive folders is the recommended amount (Source). In other words, don't go making my mistake of categorizing the MTS browsing style (Downloads > Body Shop > Clothing > Female > Adult > Everyday > [setname]).

Anyone else have any tips to share?
Last edited by Radiochocolate on August 12th, 2016, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
//Currently on a non-committed hiatus from Boolprop and Sims//
Iron Values TPC | Sim!Mia | Simbia Penal Colony BaCC
Sunny's Monster Mash | Sim Scrabble: a TS2 Name Game
Taube
Origin ID: 22Taube

Completed Challenges

Post Counts

Re: Tips on organising Downloads

Post by Taube »

Little note: Maybe it's my browser, but I just see the words "Image Image" in your spoiler.

Back on topic, thank you for starting this thread. This is a major problem for me, and I'm interested to hear other people's ideas. I definitely do the too-many-folders thing, so the LJ thread you posted was interesting to me. I'll have to think of how I want to restructure it. I also wish I knew a good way to organize old stuff that wasn't originally organized well - like most of it is junk, but I want to keep some of the stuff and I'm not sure how to find meshes for files, group things, completely delete things, etc. If that's too far off the original topic, please ignore, but that's another thing I worry about.

Anyway, hoping people have some good suggestions. I, unfortunately, don't - my newer downloads are in sub-folder hell, and my older downloads are a frightening mishmash. I'm a mess when it comes to downloads, basically. :spin:
Radiochocolate
Sweden

Post Counts

Post by Radiochocolate »

The images should be fixed now.

Taube, have you tried out Delphy's Download Organizer? It's a program that scans and shows all the files in your downloads folder (or another folder of your choice). It recognizes each .package by type (clothes mesh, wallpaper, hack etc.) and lets you move files between subfolders (or delete them directly from the program). You can also do a scan for "orphans", which will tell you whether you have any meshes that are missing recolors or vice versa. I think it could be quite helpful for you (I use it myself) in sorting the "frightening mishmash".

Another personal tip: if you install a lot or sim that comes with CC, make sure your downloads folder has everything subfoldered first. If you're installing multiple sims/lots in a row, stop to sort each .package dump into its own folder before continuing.
//Currently on a non-committed hiatus from Boolprop and Sims//
Iron Values TPC | Sim!Mia | Simbia Penal Colony BaCC
Sunny's Monster Mash | Sim Scrabble: a TS2 Name Game
Taube
Origin ID: 22Taube

Completed Challenges

Post Counts

Post by Taube »

Ah, I love Hyperbole and a Half! Great memes. :D

I think I had tried DDO on my old machine, but I don't currently have it. I think I'll try reducing my subfoldering (totally a word) and giving the DDO a try. I have some hairs that I don't think got extracted correctly because the file path may be too long, so I'm hoping the subfolder thing may help that. Thanks!
Ellenyarai

Post Counts

Post by Ellenyarai »

I generally separate my folder into sitename>date. Unless it's a default mod or a gameplay mod, those two get their own special folder! But this method is due to my laziness and probably isn't ideal for most players lol.
Scribal_Goddess

Post Counts

Post by Scribal_Goddess »

*Plants feet in thread because I just purchased a new laptop and I'm going to try and get stuff set up on it soon-ish.*

In general, I've separated Build/buy, Bodyshop (non-genetic) and Genetics. Mods all go in a separate folder, and pretty much everything that should not get pulled or things could break (acr, some default replacements, bhav mods, new food) goes in there.

Thanks for the link to DDO though, I *need* to rid myself of some of these random files from my very first iteration of the game.
Simsimity

Post Counts

Post by Simsimity »

I just subfolder my stuff by site, then creator - makes it a bit easier to find. Though my Tumblr folder is a mess! But at least it's only one folder, instead of my whole downloads folder!
Call me Jenn/Rai, I answer to both!

Proudmoore Sims Downloads

Return to “Sims 2 Chat”