What's going on in your Apocalypse?

hippielayla86

Re: What's going on in your Apocalypse?

Post by hippielayla86 »

Paranormal is definitely one that is best lifted early. I did the first time around, but this time I've gotten lucky and my ghosts haven't figured out how to leave the floor level where they passed so all of my sims hide on the level they aren't on. :lol: Safety in numbers. Though now that I can finally send sims to college again, I will finally be doing Paranormal. With the newer rules, I'm more inclined to go after Oceanography and Gamer sooner than later. :)
Jendra

Post by Jendra »

It seems to have disappeared when I got the Ultimate package. My Build a city is fine, but it looks like everything extra in the Belladonna Cove, Riverblossom Hills and Desiderata Valley disappeared, there aren't even any people in the sim bins.

So, since I was in the mood for an Apoc, but not in the mood for Uni, I decided to go for an adult start... an extreme adult start no less. Unsurprisingly, I've already failed twice.

*Edited to add... the third try is going well, but I don't think I'll make it. She got demoted back down to level 6, with only 10 days left til elder. It looks like I'll have to try to find a baby's daddy (or mommy, neither one of us is picky) and see if second gen can get it done.
Jendra

Post by Jendra »

Ugh, that killed me. Light turned elder while the twins were still toddlers and there's no other adult. Scarlet was potty trained, but Rusty wasn't, and she *refused* to change his diaper. He kept asking and asking, and she kept turning him down. He was miserable, and he kept waking Scarlet up and it was just bad. Then she finally changed him, when his bladder was full! So almost as soon as she changed him, he needed another! I finally got the twins to grow up, but call to meal isn't working! So I'm having to control her to get her to eat. It's not even that the command is falling out of her queue, call to meal, household just isn't working, Scarlet didn't get it either. Can children not do this or something?
Chase
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam ID: ziekenz
United States of America

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by Chase »

Lifted military, nearly lifted culinary (the last promotion is just taking too long, ugh), kinda close to lifting education (though she's the oldest, an elder now). Have one kid, hopefully getting another in the next couple of days!
hello! :heartbeat:
Iya

Post Counts

Post by Iya »

I'm new at this Apocalypse challenge and is curious to hear what you guys lift first? i would think that's culinary right?

I'm setting mine's up but I might be getting Phaenoh's ruleset mod to help me from breaking the rules. :wink:
ImageImage
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

I did Paranormal, less likely to have my heirs die too early from ghost deaths. Culinary was my second generation lift.
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

I found Medical is more difficult and especially more tedious to deal with than Culinary. One meal per day is quite manageable if you keep your family small, say two kids max. Plus, my own experience has been it takes my Sims a lonnnnnnnng time to die of starvation.
Paranormal has never been an issue with me personally, because I watch my elders like a hawk and have them die outdoors. However, if someone does die inside, Paranormal becomes probably the most important lift to have, as indoor ghosts are much more lethal.
Military and Journalism together are also great for moving Sims out before they become a problem.
Lifting Education will get teens out of the house and back to school where they will be fed a meal.
Image Image
ISTJ
Iya

Post Counts

Post by Iya »

Hmm, from what you guys said, i would do what Ani-Mei said and lifts paranormal first, lol. at least that one thing i won't have to worry about.

Edit: Shoot, never mind. I'm gonna be using Phaenoh's ruleset and Paranormal could only be lifts during the third level so I have to figure out another way to deal with it. :(
ImageImage
Chase
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by Chase »

Just lifted my last pet restriction! Three promotions away from lifting education, and the oldest kid is two days from becoming a teen, so I'll have my first Uni student (sans founder) soon!!
Way more spoilery:
Spoiler:
Alyssa had triplets!!!! :eek: That makes a total of 5 kids in this generation. Thank plumbbob culinary is lifted.
And she's still an adult... thanks to the loyalty of her minions... :shifty:

edit: God, the only restriction that's actually making it extremely difficult to play now is Politics. I think I'm definitely going to have Politics and Architecture be lifted by a couple of these kids. So my tentative plan for the next gen. is this: Paranormal, Politics, Architecture, Athletic, Business, and Science (6 total with the spouse). I might switch out Business or Science for Intelligence, Slacker, or Journalism; I'm not sure. Considering the triplets are still toddlers, I have some time to think about it...
edit 11/13
Spoiler:
Just lifted Science!
And you know what that means...

LIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NO MORE DARK PICTURES!!!
YAY YAY YAY!!!!!!
Chase
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by Chase »

I JUST COMPLETED THE APOCALYPSE!!!!!!

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Anne
Netherlands

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Anne »

Congrats, Chase! :D
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

Congratulations, Chase! :applause: To celebrate, I made an AC for you using boolprop smilies :lol:
Spoiler:
Ready? :mrgreen:

:couple: Hopelessness
:woot: Natural Science
:fever: Medical
:dizzy: Service Pet
:fight: Adventure
:geek: Showbiz Pet
:arrow: Law
:firecracker: Military
:pizza: Culinary
:sleepy: Security Pet
:idea: Education
:bulb: Science
:sly: Politics
:banghead: Architecture
:angel: Paranormal
:duck: Athletic
:whistle: Music
8-) Intelligence
:alien: Alien Technology

:celebration: Dance
:party: Entertainment
:click: Oceanography
:plumbob: Gamer
:censored: Journalism
:highfive: Business
:donut: Law Enforcement
:pan: Life of Crime
:chill: Slacker
:ugeek: Artist
:starry: Show Business
Image Image
ISTJ
Chase
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by Chase »

Thanks!! And absolutely amazing, Lorin :lol: :lol: Thank you!
Just a couple more chapters to write and then I'm done documenting it too :)
nicholaplaysthesims
Steam ID: alpha_ddeathclaw
Origin ID: laaputa
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by nicholaplaysthesims »

Lifted Culinary and Hopelessness, great start (or so I'm leading you all to believe :P)
platformperil
House of Motherlode
House of Motherlode

Post by platformperil »

I'm starting an Apocalypse and I have a question, trying to combine it into an Apocalypseacy;

Can you even do an Apocalypse with Xtreme Start? You're not allowed to go to college and you get so little money. There's no way, right?
Uta No Prince Sama!
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

platformperil wrote:I'm starting an Apocalypse and I have a question, trying to combine it into an Apocalypseacy;

Can you even do an Apocalypse with Xtreme Start? You're not allowed to go to college and you get so little money. There's no way, right?
My Badass Alphabetocalypse is an adult start. Also, I have seen Xtreme Starts (adult on a 5x6 lot) and it worked out. It was a huge challenge, but it worked. I wish I could find the link to that story, but I've searched and searched, and can't find it to share with you. Sorry. It was a completed Xtreme Start apocalypse, with a female founder, and I learned SO MUCH from it!

The trick is to build reeealllly tiny to start off. Like, a 2x3 combination bedroom and bathroom, where you can retreat to get warm, and all the rest under your roof, but out in the open. Only buy what you need for your career! You can eat standing up. You can read standing up. And you can read or daydream on your bed for comfort, fun, and even social boost.

Also, did you know that working out warms you up? So, if you're cold, work out for a bit, and you'll warm up. You need the body skill, anyway.

Yeah, it's hard, but it can be done. Although, if you're worried about getting too old to have babies, I recommend a male founder, so that if you can at least lift hopelessness and move in your spouse, then your spouse can invite your founder to try for baby, even if he's senile. As long as your male founder doesn't become an elder until AFTER he moves in the spouse, it's OK.

Another thing to consider with an Xtreme start - if you're really struggling for skills and friends to get your promotions, consider doing a Slacker career. You can suppress the Slacker restrictions (although not permanently lift them), and since you spend less time skilling, and more time building relationships with walk-by sims, you are more likely to be able to get that romance going quickly.

If you have Freetime, then the Intelligence restrictions prevent you from asking about jobs and such, but if you don't have Freetime, ask away, and if you find a high-level sim in a desirable career (such as Culinary, Medicine or Military), then drop your skilling to focus on that sim!

Also, I have found chance cards to be invaluable, so make sure you have the snootysims.com chance card listing bookmarked for quick reference. I've earned promotions I didn't even qualify for, yet!

If you're doing the Xstreme Start for the disadvantage, consider balancing it with an advantage. I like Fisherman's dream, because with a beach lot, you get free Creativity skill, whenever the snow is not piled too deep. Sandcastles! If you can't afford a computer (typewriter) to write a novel, then a sandcastle will do the job, plus it builds fun, and can be a social activity.

Another option for an Xtreme start is to actually not worry about Hopelessness this generation. I know it sounds weird, but if your founder is female, and she tries for baby with passersby, she can get generation 2 growing, and let them start out with the advantages of growing up with a bit of skill-building. Let her work for two weeks, in whatever job is available, and stretch every penny you can. Have your kids sleep in shifts, so that you don't need as many beds. It's a really tough start, but it CAN be done (I did it on my old computer, before it went flooey, and got a really good start going. My second generation had five sims in it, and they were really going to town). You really only need a small indoor area for them to sleep in and warm up. The rest can be outside. A 1x2 toilet room for privacy, and the sink outside. A 3x3 bedroom gives you 2 beds, or maybe 3 recliners, so they can sleep indoors. Children can't be ordered to work out, as it does not raise fun, but you can get the cheapest fireplace, and let them warm up that way. Your children will spend most of their time washing their hands, anyway, so you really don't need all that much "stuff," to make it through. And the struggle will build character.

One last tip - Save right at the beginning and back-up to a separate folder, so you can re-load it again, if your founder dies or becomes too old before lifting hopelessness. Once the hopelessness hurdle is past, the rest can be managed.

Don't be discouraged. Give it a try. The worst that can happen is that you'll fail the challenge quickly, but you'll learn stuff to use in the next attempt. And everyone who reads your successful story will be SUPER-impressed by your Xtreme Start!

ETA: I wrote all that at 4 in the morning, yesterday, and by the time I woke up, I was determined to do it, myself, just to prove it could be done. The story is quick and dirty and not my usual style, but I DID manage to get both my founder and spouse to lift their restrictions, plus the first baby born.

Xavier Xtreme Apocalypse Chapter 1

I'm going back to my Badass Alphabetocalypse, and I'm not going to start posting a new one on its own page, until I get three chapters written. However, I wanted to encourage you to give it a try, and proof is more valuable than suggestions.
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Rflong7
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob

Post Counts

Post by Rflong7 »

Jendra wrote:Ugh, that killed me. Light turned elder while the twins were still toddlers and there's no other adult. Scarlet was potty trained, but Rusty wasn't, and she *refused* to change his diaper. He kept asking and asking, and she kept turning him down. He was miserable, and he kept waking Scarlet up and it was just bad. Then she finally changed him, when his bladder was full! So almost as soon as she changed him, he needed another! I finally got the twins to grow up, but call to meal isn't working! So I'm having to control her to get her to eat. It's not even that the command is falling out of her queue, call to meal, household just isn't working, Scarlet didn't get it either. Can children not do this or something?
Hi :)

I think that it works for the whole house if there is a table and the food is served. I remember trying to get the uncontrolled elders to get food from the serving plate but they wouldn't. Only one person was ever called when I used the Household and no table of served food.

I'm trying to get my OWBC done but the Apocalypse Challenge is my favorite and it always calls me when I play TS2.

Congrats on finishing, Chase! :highfive:

I was doing an Extreme start with the Borg rules but I used an Advantage- Lucky Find- with the Elixir. The advantage doesn't restrict any aspiration reward. :)
http://mysweetapoca.blogspot.com/2014/0 ... eek-1.html
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Normally, I don't bother with a dining table during an apocalypse, because of the spacing issues. Sims can eat standing up, or sitting in living chairs or a couch. However, when the "call to meal" doesn't show up for whatever reason, I will put in a table and chairs. Then, you serve the meal by placing the dishes on the table, and sims tend to come. Usually. But really, there's no guarantee.

Just be sure that you time the meal well, because even a starving sim will autonomously clean up spoiled food, rather than eat it, if they're not completely sloppy. I hate it when my senile sims finally get hungry enough to go for food, and then the food spoils JUST before they grab it, and then it's clean-up time, and you have to hope they last until midnight.

I've failed some challenges that way. So good luck!
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

Last time I played my Generation Five girls just got back to the main lot from college, ended up starting at levels 8 and 9 in their intended fields and only took three days to lift four of the five needed for that generation. I have to move in the spouse so he can finish up the last lift for the generation and bring in the final one. But you know how it goes with my damn plottiness; it will NOT be a piece of cow cake...

Return to “Sims 2 Chat”