OFBophobia!

Chickie

OFBophobia!

Post by Chickie »

I have the expansion. I don't know why I'm so scared to use it! Fear of failure or being overwhelmed, I guess. Anyway, if I were to make a restaurant, would I be able to choose my own menu? I'd love to do a custom menu based on some on some of the yummy cc I've found!
Radiochocolate
Sweden

Post Counts

Re: OFBophobia!

Post by Radiochocolate »

Haven't actually tried out OFB much myself ( :shhh: ) but according to what I've read on SimsWikia and in people's stories, you have to plan and price the menu before opening a restaurant. I think that as long as the custom food can be accessed by the fridge you can put it on the menu, but you should keep in mind that the cook will burn anything that demands more cooking skills than s/he has.
//Currently on a non-committed hiatus from Boolprop and Sims//
Iron Values TPC | Sim!Mia | Simbia Penal Colony BaCC
Sunny's Monster Mash | Sim Scrabble: a TS2 Name Game
Chickie

Post by Chickie »

I hadn't even thought about the cook's skills! Thank you!
cowplant

Post Counts

Post by cowplant »

You can make your own menu, but I don't know if you can put custom food on it since I rarely use that (it's prone to corrupting stuff)
But I'd advise you not to make a restaurant. The mechanics are somewhat broken and it's hard to make any profit.
On the other hand, a simple sales business with the plates of your food as the product would be very efficient, easy to manage and profitable. There is one counter that will keep your food fresh, it's the one that looks like it belongs in a bakery.
~ Winner of the Golden Plumbbobs in the categories of ~
Spoiler:
ImageImage
Find me on:
[Tumblr] ~ [Twitch] ~ [Wordpress] ~ [Youtube]
[The Viridi (Video) Chronicles]
My little lazy legacy
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

Restaurants are probably the most difficult business to run in OFB. If you want to get your feet wet in the EP, I found that the food stands from BV or the burger stand from AL(?) placed inside a building make a super easy restaurant-type business to run. All you have to do is some selling while the cook spawned with the food stand takes care of the cooking/serving/cleaning. It won't fly as a proper restaurant though, as it does not fulfill the Dine Out want that comes with dating.

Selling buy mode items is also one of the easier types of businesses to run and a good way to get familiar with the mechanics of OFB.

For a regular restaurant with a podium, you have to be mindful of the designated chef's cooking skill and the server's body skill, as they're prone to dump food on the customers which is funny to watch but won't help the restaurant rank up.
Image Image
ISTJ
Chickie

Post by Chickie »

Thanks Cowplant. Maybe I'll do something like that and pretend like it's a deli. I'll look out for those bakery counters.

Thanks Lorinsv. I might practice with a buy mode items store first. I've definitely had food dumped on me (by the same server) a few times! I didn't know it had anything to do with body skill. I thought it was because I didn't chat her up enough.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

I like sending my sims to community lot restaurants but HATE running them. Especially on my new laptop that allows maximum of four customers at a time, which means there is NO WAY to make a profit at a restaurant.

So, build a restaurant for the community to own and your sims to enjoy. But for owned businesses, stick to shops and venues.

With the wholesale perks, you can make really good money, even selling things cheaply, so long as you bought them from the catalog. If they are crafted items, though, you don't get the savings, so you have to bump up the price, and that means lots of sales. I really enjoy running shops, especially with catalog items. My favorite is to set most things cheaply, so they'll sell themselves, and then have a few high-ticket items that I "Show Item To" whenever a townie with deep pockets come in. The townies have no limit to how much they can buy, while playables do. Sell small, inexpensive things to playables, for the stars and perks, and big ticket items to townies. It does take attention to detail, but it's fun.

My all-time favorite businesses, though, are the venues, once I have a lot of snapdragons. Snapdragons are the best for venues, because they boost everyone's moods, so they'll stay long enough to give lots of stars and money, without having to constantly sell new tickets. However, they do NOT boost energy, so you don't have the problem of them staying forever and a day, and never giving new customers a chance to give you stars. Each customer can only give 5 stars, after all, and after that, it's just money, no ranking. Snapdragons placed around a tent allow your business owner to sleep on the lot, and stay there, indefinitely, building up the rank and the money, as well as building up the family friend count. Set the price for cheap, if you don't want to bother selling, or set it really high, if you have the salesmanship, and want the money fast. The great thing about venues is that you sell the ticket once, and then just wait for however long it takes for the customer to leave, and in the meantime, you can do all sorts of stuff, like build talent badges, dig for treasure, fish, or just make friends. I find a venue with snapdragons and a tent to be the ideal place to train up robotics and toy-making, so that I can have those high-level robots and toys that I love, without having to waste time at home on them. And if you have the mod that allows skilling on community lots, you can make money while you learn your seven skills, as well. Venues ROCK!
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!

Return to “Sims 2 Chat”