What's Your Playstyle?

Simsimity

Post Counts

What's Your Playstyle?

Post by Simsimity »

I love hearing how others play their games, and I'm sure I'm not the only one - so chat about it here! Are you a builder? Screencapper? Legacy style player? How do you play your game?
Call me Jenn/Rai, I answer to both!

Proudmoore Sims Downloads
Pony
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Ukraine

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Re: What's Your Playstyle?

Post by Pony »

Hmm... I guess I would say I'm a Legacy style player. I like playing families for multiple generations and writing their stories. Even though I'm pretty horrible at cranking out chapters. I have my builder moments. Especially when I need something calming to do, I like to build houses, or parts of houses for sims to finish up on their own. I tend to play in rotation style to keep everyone the same age. I'm always tempted to stay in one house, but playing Arbor Watch has just about cured me of that. I love big challenges, though I have yet to complete a single challenge. I'm a bit of a flaky player.
Rflong7
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob

Post Counts

Post by Rflong7 »

Hi :cookie:

In TS2 I like to play challenges or build up a neighborhood (make them in SimCity4). In TS3 I like to make worlds with CAW. In TS4... I have started a Legacy but now I want to just play one Sim and go through the whole game with that one Sim... then when/if I get an Expansions that Sim can have a family and their Heir can go through the whole expansion. :D

But, right now I'm burned out on the Sims and I feel lost on what to do with my down time. :shifty:
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

I get attached to my sims, so even if I wasn't planning it, it generally turns into a legacy of some kind. And even before I knew about forums like this, I took pictures, and tried to have some sort of a story. It annoyed me in Sims 1 that there were limits to how many pics you could have in your album. When I found TS2, with its unlimited album, and room for captions, I was ecstatic! TS3, I took pictures, and had no album, so I would literally write a journal of my sims' lives, in a notebook, promising myself that when I figured out how, I would transfer it all to a computer document or presentation. I wrote reams and reams of the stuff, before I finally got a program that worked for me, since I didn't have much money for office-suites on my home computer.

Generally, I try to make my family sims happy. Sometimes, I like to take out my frustrations on visitors I don't like. Every now and again, though, I get downright bloodthirsty. I have, in fact, created the "Loser" family, with every aspiration, just so that I could watch each variation of aspiration failure, before I tried for a bunch of unique deaths. I don't have that save any more, because it was from my old computer. But it was FUN! As was the one where my "founder" literally killed off every sim in the entire town, except repo men, social workers, and social bunnies and the like - the ones that could not possibly be killed off that way. But most of the time, I pride myself on my simming skills in being able to keep my sims happy and fulfilled.

Rflong7, I don't know if you play role-playing games, but if you do, I highly recommend the enhanced editions of Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II, and Icewind Dale, which were released by Beamdog not long ago. Very story-driven, but with LOTS of freedom to play your own characters, and BG and BGII, in particular, are just full to overflowing with side-quests, so you can really enjoy the adventure without being bogged down with goals and deadlines. Games like Neverwinter Nights, and especially Neverwinter Nights 2, are far too linear for me. Baldur's Gate has more open-ended play, which reminds me of the Sims, in a way. Also, I have gotten some good inspiration to build and/or play medieval-style sims, to see if I can't re-create some of the Baldur's Gate world, if not the story, itself. The price is quite reasonable, too, especially considering that the enhanced editions are COMPLETE, with no additional stuff or expansion packs to pay for later. Or, for absolutely and entirely open-ended play in a fantasy world, I recommend RuneScape. You can only play one character at a time, but you can do anything you want with it, including nothing at all. Some people don't bother to skill up. They just use it as a place to chat.
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Heather
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Steam ID: spacedoggity
Origin ID: pixeldollhouse
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Heather »

I love building things in the game, but when it comes to playing with my actual sims, I like playing prosperity/legacy style.
Last edited by Heather on January 31st, 2015, 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

I've never really understood the whole "prosperity" thing. What's the appeal of that for you, and how is it different from legacy?
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Heather
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Heather »

MichelleCYoung wrote:I've never really understood the whole "prosperity" thing. What's the appeal of that for you, and how is it different from legacy?
For me, prosperity style is just playing families in rotation so they age together, something which I usually neglect to do when playing legacy/challenge families. I have a neighbourhood with 10 families (who are a mix of supernatural creatures) that I enjoy playing. It's fun marrying the different families into each other and mixing their genetics. I've gotten some unique looking sims from it.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Oh, rotational play! Oh, yeah, that's fun! Like the BACC, or the Kingdom challenge, where you watch the whole neighborhood grow and change, at the same rate (or pretty close to it). That's a BLAST!

I'm not sure why it's called "prosperity," but I totally agree with the concept, yep. Thanks for explaining!
Heather
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Heather »

MichelleCYoung wrote:Oh, rotational play! Oh, yeah, that's fun! Like the BACC, or the Kingdom challenge, where you watch the whole neighborhood grow and change, at the same rate (or pretty close to it). That's a BLAST!

I'm not sure why it's called "prosperity," but I totally agree with the concept, yep. Thanks for explaining!
There's a challenge for the sims 2 called the prosperity challenge, which is based on rotational play of families in a neighbourhood. I play my neighbourhood and loosely follow those rules, which is why I called it that. Rotational play works just as well as a name, though. :)
Scribal_Goddess

Post Counts

Post by Scribal_Goddess »

I'm an over-planner. I love making up rules for certain neighborhoods or families, and I'm never quite happy until each one has a "story." This, my friends, is why it takes me so stinking long to turn out a legacy chapter.
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

Until I began playing the RKC challenge I would stick with one family most of the time then as the story grew and new characters were added I started rotatational playing. I just started to read my legacy again and it reminds me of how long it took to make all those characters, play them, adapt their personal lives to suit the limits of the game, and I was surprised at how it all came together to make a wonderful story.

I've kept up with the semi-rotational play style now in the other stories I have currently ongoing such as my AU legacy, my WYD, my new RKC, and my Apocalypse. I find that it works out really well.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

I really enjoy the challenges, and exploring strategy. I am an apocalypse junkie!

In fact, recently I started a brand new apocalypse (I'm not done with the first chapter, yet, and I won't post it until I finish my Badass story, but it's coming). This one, however, is my dream! I have my simself sitting in judgement on a very naughty sim. The punishment? Twenty apocalypses! (Because I am a glutton for punishment, and have no life) The first lift must be done in alphabetical order, so the first apocalypse must be for the Adventure lift, then the second apocalypse must begin with the Artist lift, then the third apocalypse must begin with Athletic lift. After the first lift is complete, all other lifts may be done in any order the family chooses. Basically, the founder goes through college, then I do a special back-up of the neighborhood at that point, at the beginning of the apocalypse. I use Boolprop to assign the first job from the paper, and then go from there, playing it straight. However, for this one, my simself will be more involved, and I hope to get some cool story elements going on that front.

In this way, I hope to explore the various strategies required with varying the order of lifts, and show how the initial lifts effects the rest of the play. I'm really curious about how it will be for the lifts that no one does first, such as Slacker, Law Enforcement or Politics, and if I will actually find any value in suppressing those restrictions early, or not. I'm thinking that a Slacker suppression could be teamed up well with either Adventure or Science, to allow for Elixir of Life, or possibly with a vampire Professional Party Guest, thus keeping the Slacker restrictions going for a long, long time. And early Politics suppression could be useful, as you expand the house, and then, once it's lifted, you are able to keep everything inside the house that you built (because it's grandfathered in), but the outside area would still be off-limits, right? Like with the Artist suppression, via Music, allowing you to keep all the art you painted, although you do have to get rid of the creativity-builders. Or maybe I just have to keep that Mayor alive to allow use of the larger house? I'm not sure. Law Enforcement suppression wouldn't be all that useful, but then again, I might find that it surprises me, after all. I believe it was Romancing the Apocalypse that showed how incredibly valuable Show Business was for a first lift, and I wouldn't have even thought of that one, myself. I just want to try them all, and see how it effects everything.

Exploration and experimentation is the order of the day for me. Also, I like the early struggles, and the challenge, and the thrill of making it through, and overcoming obstacles. Legacies are fun, and no-rules play is very refreshing. Yet, I keep coming back to that challenge of the apocalypse. I don't know why.

And Scribal-Goddess, I don't believe there is such a thing as too much planning. It just makes for chapters that are worth waiting for.
Scribal_Goddess

Post Counts

Post by Scribal_Goddess »

MichelleCYoung wrote:And Scribal-Goddess, I don't believe there is such a thing as too much planning. It just makes for chapters that are worth waiting for.
Lol. I guess my three remaining loyal readers agree. :upsidedown:
Wynter
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Wynter »

I'm a legacy family player. But that gets boring sometimes so I'm trying to branch into building.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Hey, Wynter! Welcome to Boolprop!

And boy, do you have good timing, because we are gearing up for the SimNaWriMo (that's like NaNoWriMo - National Novel Writing Month - but for Sims). It starts in October, and we're doing sign-ups right now.

Also, feel free to join a house for the Boolprop Olympics!

And if you're into building, there's the "Let's Build It" contest, as well.

Have fun!
Rex
Canada

Post Counts

Post by Rex »

On my old laptop, I played rotation style on the premade neighbourhoods until I had enough play time in each home to count as a generation and then "install" the next expansion pack. I started this back in 2012 or so, but paused it while playing my now completed legacy. With all the EPs installed, I just play enough before I start using EP specific things in each neighbourhood. Still finishing University Life in Vernonaville haha.
Wynter
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Wynter »

MichelleCYoung wrote:Hey, Wynter! Welcome to Boolprop!

And boy, do you have good timing, because we are gearing up for the SimNaWriMo (that's like NaNoWriMo - National Novel Writing Month - but for Sims). It starts in October, and we're doing sign-ups right now.

Also, feel free to join a house for the Boolprop Olympics!

And if you're into building, there's the "Let's Build It" contest, as well.

Have fun!
Hey and thank you!! I have signed up for a house, and I am thinking about making a legacy for SimNaWriMo. I've only ever completed one, it was during sims 3. I wrote the story on paper, and had a hard time remembering to take enough pictures, so this will be an interesting challenge for me.
RedDestiny92

Post by RedDestiny92 »

New here first thread that catches my attention I like to see how others play, I play by family on rotation depending on what I want, I don't like doing challenges but they are fun to watch. One of my main families has two sims, their two kids and five dogs, the wife is Lilith Pleasant and she went through so much at home I love restarting hoods because they always seem different and this time Angela made it her mission to make her unhappy whenever I was controlling one of their parents Angela would stop what she was doing and go run after Lilith to start a fight, I ended up making a shed for her to stay in and locked it so only she could use it....her mother mysteriously died in a fire in there and before she had kids her father drowned the same unknown way..lol they were just as mean to her. So I try to keep her happy though now her brother who she raised with her husband and sister in law is expecting his first child with his brother-in-law's sister who is a criminal mastermind married to a cop after his wife cheated on him and got pregnant by Don. Angela of has moved in with Darren and Dirk who I didn't play so I could separate him from Lilith though they're still bestfriends, and Darren has his eye on Angela. So just a look at how I play with my sims how I love the drama.
(^._.^)~~ meow, that is all.
Strawberry

Post by Strawberry »

I'm a beautifier. Every sim, lot, neighborhood and subsequent sub neighborhood have to be aesthetically pleasing. This is so important to me, actually, that I haven't really played any of the households. If I ever got around to it, though, I'd like to think I'd play a rotational cycle. One I will play these sims!
Author of Bella Noir.
simmerberry14
Steam ID: jamescav14
Origin ID: playermttjms

Post by simmerberry14 »

I'm playing Pleasantview in rotational style currently! Currently Sims like Nina, Dina and Don are elders, with their kids being adults and having babies or working on their careers. It's been a mad ride, Cassandra has three different partners or husbands, Don has had an alien baby and several (I want to say 12) children with different Sims around the neighborhood and is actually a great dad. I'll have to take screenshots next time I play and post them on here!
[align=center]Image
Su-su![/align]
[align=center]In the darkness, two shadows, reaching through the hopeless, heavy dusk. Their hands meet, and light spills in a flood, like a hundred golden urns pouring out the sun.[/align]

Return to “Sims 2 Chat”