Why I think the Sims 2 is addicting

Why I think the Sims 2 is addicting

Post by 0123456789 »

1. The Sims 2 essentially has no goals, so you can just do whatever you want (like kill all your Sims), and there will be no hard penalties the next time you play or no immediate bad consequences, besides a couple of bad memories that some Sims may receive for having a relative die. The nature of the game resembles a dollhouse, where much of the involvement is role-playing different situations and seeing what happens. Compare this game to a much earlier computer game, called Fisher Price Dream Dollhouse, but its complexity attracts older players, whereas the people in Dream Dollhouse are like paper cut-out dolls. It might be simple, but it kept my seven-year-old self very entertained!

2. I now have the Ultimate Collection, and I can tell you that there are so many things I haven't tried yet. I haven't really tried all the clothes or the hairstyles beyond sampling them in Bodyshop or Create-A-Family. I haven't really tried building houses with pagoda roofs, but they look pretty in Takemizu Village, so I will definitely try that in the future. I haven't collected all the bugs in the bugboxes. I haven't even played with all the University student households. The game with all the expansion packs installed is certainly vast . . . which, I believe, can easily pull people in as they explore throughout the game.

3. The number of objects and design options in the base game alone is plentiful. In fact, that is advertised on the base game cover art box. The expansion and stuff packs add onto the wealth of objects and design options. So, you can build houses in many different styles. However, most player-created houses would fit the description of "realistic", as there is usually a logical order behind the design of the house. (In contrast, I built a house that was sort of like a mini version of Wayside School, where every story was a different room, and the kitchen was attached to the entry room, a staircase went up on the side of the building, and male and female restrooms were separated from the main building but still on the same lot.)
WistfulRose

Post Counts

Re: Why I think the Sims 2 is addicting

Post by WistfulRose »

It's like a dream space.Similar to your dollhouse. It's a place where all of your dreams can come true. You are the supreme being, the watcher (Title from Sims medieval). It's a place where you are in complete control at all times. It's a place to escape your troubles and where the people actually need you, or their timeline is frozen. It's a place to create. To be something more. To be the author.

Okaaaaay so that was more low budget film than I intended. Whatever.
Simsimity

Post Counts

Post by Simsimity »

I get to play goddess in my sandbox - what ISN'T there to like about that?! And the best part is I can choose who I share my sandbox with (metaphorically speaking of course) or even if I don't want to share it at all. I get seriously bored in games that try to lead you by the nose...I just can't connect to that style of gaming, it's like gaming for idiots! :lol:
Call me Jenn/Rai, I answer to both!

Proudmoore Sims Downloads
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

I like how versatile it is, to fit any mood.

For example, if I'm in a bad mood, I can experience catharsis by just torturing my little pixel people, or even outright killing them in painful and entertaining ways. And if I want to do it some more, I can bring them back for another go-round. Or, I can leave them to be ghosts and haunt the other sims.

Or if I'm in a good mood, I can magnanimously see how successful I can make my sims.

I can be micro-manager, or just sit back and watch the antics on free will.

I can tell stories! I can discover stories! I can be the Goddess, Clicky-Person In the Sky, or I can be "Dear Diary," or I can be best-friend Simself, or I can be the evil master manipulator, or whatever I want to be.

Sometimes, if I'm playing a single sim, I think to myself, "Now, I'm going to talk to this guy over here," or "Oh! He gave me a present! That was a great date!" or whatever, as if I AM the sim, or the sim is my avatar, or what-have-you. It's not until my founder marries and has another generation that I stop thinking "I" and go back to "sim." Unless I'm playing "Super-Goddess!!!!" player, in which case, I don't have an avatar; I have faithful worshippers and minions.

Add in mods and CC, and you can create just about any kind of world you want, and play just about any style you want. Most role-playing games (such as Dungeons and Dragons games) are limiting, although very fun in their own way. But when I play Baldur's Gate, I keep thinking, "Yeah, but I want to play red hands with that guy over there! Or, oh, look! It's snowing! I hope I get enough accumulation for a snowball fight! They are great ways to build relationships!" Then again, I play Baldur's Gate, and see the layout of a building, and think, "I have to build that!"
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

BTW, it's not "addicting." I can stop any time I want to.

I just don't want to.
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Chickie

Post by Chickie »

It makes me feel like I am winning at life, lol. (Borrowing from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) I don't have the heart to kill off my sims anymore (unless one of them is trying to steal my lover from me) so I make them as successful as possible.
modelmgt
Location: Trailer Towers, or astride JoJo the Magic Circus Elephant.
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by modelmgt »

I've got a hood for just about every mood I could be in when I want to play. See my Favorite Lots photos. :-)
The Freshnfruity Uglacy II: Rebirth Chapters 1-11: Updated 9-5-2016

Freshnfruity's Livejournal
These Things Just Seem to Happen 1-9:Updated 9-1-22
Fugly Scrapbook & Polls
Scribal_Goddess

Post Counts

Post by Scribal_Goddess »

You get attached to your sims. And their pets. And their wormrats...
Avery

Post by Avery »

MichelleCYoung wrote:BTW, it's not "addicting." I can stop any time I want to.

I just don't want to.
Suuuure... :angel1:

Honestly, I find Sims 2 the most appealing because it's the least glitchy. TS3 and 4 have always been too glitchy for me. :(
Chickie

Post by Chickie »

Scribal_Goddess wrote:You get attached to your sims. And their pets. And their wormrats...
So true! I've considered doing my version of a legacy but I'm so sad at the thought of my founder dying! I love her, her pet, and her fiance's pet!
modelmgt
Location: Trailer Towers, or astride JoJo the Magic Circus Elephant.
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by modelmgt »

Avery wrote:

I just don't want to.

Honestly, I find Sims 2 the most appealing because it's the least glitchy. TS3 and 4 have always been too glitchy for me. :(
Honestly, I can't say I haven't seen my share of glitches, however TS2 was a major breakthrough in technology(after 1), which had me over the moon with how much everything had improved. Mostly tho, it's the level of control, or the flexibility of the game that had me. There's not a lot you can't do with it!
The Freshnfruity Uglacy II: Rebirth Chapters 1-11: Updated 9-5-2016

Freshnfruity's Livejournal
These Things Just Seem to Happen 1-9:Updated 9-1-22
Fugly Scrapbook & Polls
Avery

Post by Avery »

modelmgt wrote:
Avery wrote:

I just don't want to.

Honestly, I can't say I haven't seen my share of glitches, however TS2 was a major breakthrough in technology(after 1), which had me over the moon with how much everything had improved. Mostly tho, it's the level of control, or the flexibility of the game that had me. There's not a lot you can't do with it!
I'll never forget how mind-boggled my little 11-year-old brain was when I saw the graphics in The Sims 2, oh my gosh. :rotfl:
ninaumi

Post by ninaumi »

I'll never forget how me (then 12 year old) and my brother (8 year old), were singing to the melody of the song ("bones" something), in the CAS, when we were making our mom, dad, me and him... Na na na, the * Family, na na na na.... :D

Return to “Sims 2 Chat”