The Nalaar Legacy College Part Two 8/7/2015

Forum rules
If you wish to have your legacy moved back to the active forums, please report the thread and specify which forum it should be returned.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Re: The Nalaar Legacy College Part One 9/12/2014

Post by MichelleCYoung »

I just read Chapter 1
Spoiler:
I really like your sense of humor! You had me chuckling the whole time.

I do believe that Rosa will make a "good" heir, and Maria will make an interesting heir. Sooo... I look forward to watching those two grow up.
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Chapter 2
Spoiler:
OMG, those twins are adorable! I particularly loved the cluelessness with which they plotted your downfall Right. In. Front. Of. You.

Again, you had me chuckling throughout.
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Chapter 3
Spoiler:
Oh, wow. A lost fight, a burglary, a bust, and the twins falling out! Pretty busy chapter, there.

Congrats on the LTW! I hope I never have to do that one.
Last edited by MichelleCYoung on September 15th, 2014, 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Chapter 4
Spoiler:
Yaay! Vacation! What a lot of fun.

OMG, creeeeepy! That was one warped guide. Good thing you got them out of there.

And, then...AVAAAAAAA! NOOOooooooo!

Man, that is the thing that really sucks about these legacy stories. You get all attached to the characters, and then they go and die on you. If it weren't a legacy, you could just use Elixir of Life forever, but noooooo!

Sigh.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

College Part 1
Spoiler:
Shampoo! Shampoo! Shaaaaampooooo!

So much good stuff, but that was definitely my favorite bit.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

I posted a link to your story on my blog. I really am enjoying it!
captainmills

Post by captainmills »

Thanks! I'm really glad you think I'm funny. Especially since, when I'm writing, I'm just sitting there staring at the screen a lot of the time like "Is that funny? How can that be funny? I suck at humor!" And yay for getting linked on your blog. That's awesome!
Spoiler:
The cheerleader is a bit...off. She kept running into the bathroom to cheer people taking showers until I finally remembered to lock the door, and then she just stood outside the door cheering. It was very weird.

Ava's death was really sad. Especially since I have One Way Street so I can't do a darn thing to save a Sim from Grim when he shows up. I think I said this before, but when she got back from vacation I saw that her life bar was down to about two days and the only way to keep her alive for the college graduation was to just stop playing the house until then and stick the big event at the start of a chapter. Which I didn't want to do. So the sequence of her death was not what I would have chosen, but it was the best under the circumstances.

Rosa would have been a good heir. I kind of wish she had won the coin flip. I love Maria, but Rosa is easier to write and I don't want Maria to die. I would have had fun with her being an immortal aunt hanging around forever. But their aspirations ended up fitting their roles, so that's good.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Spoiler:
But, aren't you forcing a re-roll of their aspirations half-way through college? They may swap! Or both be lousy fits.

That sort of thing is one reason I never play with that rule. I'll use the free re-roll, if I want to, but really, I totally love the ReNuYu SensoOrb, and use it frequently, until I get a LTW I like, and then I leave them alone, once I have them the way I want them. Unless I want to change them for story-telling purposes, such as them having a mid-life crisis, or something.

Good luck with the re-roll. Maybe you'll be lucky, and they'll roll the same aspirations.
captainmills

Post by captainmills »

Spoiler:
I actually decided to roll both on their teenage birthday. So I already know what their aspirations change to on the junior re-roll. It makes the narrative much easier. That way I don't end up writing them one way due to their aspirations and have to suddenly change it in college, nor do I have to try to ignore aspirations completely when I'm writing. I like the rule because it keeps things a bit unpredictable and sort of more realistic. Who knows exactly who they are and what they want to be when they start high school? Having a change when they're finishing up college makes more sense to me. Plus, if I end up with an awful LTW when they're teenagers, I don't have to deal with it and can hope for the best in college.

With gen 3, though, I am definitely switching to the physical dice that I use when I do tabletop RPG instead of using the dice app on my phone. I'm pretty sure that the app's randomizer sucks. I get much more diverse results with physical kind.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Spoiler:
You do actually get more random results with physical dice. I read about that. It's impossible to program random. Oh, they can get close, but it's never absolute.

Rolling for both teen and college at the same time makes good sense, especially from a story writing perspective. I think that's why some people roll the dice at birth. I've never done either, but then again, I don't plot nearly so far ahead as you, and some others do. I think I'll use that rolling-in-advance trick, though. That is, for those sims I'm actually rolling for. Sometimes, I just prefer to choose. Thanks for letting me know about it!

Right now, I'm playing ahead, and seeing what happens, then I'll write it up afterwards, making whatever changes I need to make it more interesting, while still keeping the general flow. For example, if she has a good date with a guy, but winds up falling in love with someone else, unless there's a real reason to show the first guy's date, I just leave it out, entirely.
captainmills

Post by captainmills »

Spoiler:
I tend to use a mixture of planning ahead and playing ahead. Some things I have planned, while others just happen due to what happens when I play. Like what I said about Ava's death--I never planned for her to go before the twins finished college, it just sort of happened that way and I had to work with it. I do try to plot some things, but I need to get much better at remembering what sort of pictures I need for the plot before I start trying to do it full-time. There is at least one picture so far in the chapter I'm working on that I had to stage after college because I forgot to get it before they graduated.

I hadn't heard of people rolling at birth. I might have to try that.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Spoiler:
The rationale for rolling at birth is so that you can play the toddler and child personality in keeping with what they will grow up into. You know, with hints and foreshadowing and stuff. Family sims being very loving and cuddly as toddlers and children. Fortune sims being very excited about getting new toys. Pleasure sims being very excited about getting new toys...
Wait.

Anyway, it's such a big part of personality, it does rather make sense.
captainmills

Post by captainmills »

Spoiler:
I'm definitely going to have to start that. It does seem rather sensible.
captainmills

Post by captainmills »

Hey guys! Just wanted to make a quick post to let you all know that I have not abandoned this legacy. I know it's been ages since I've updated and I'm sorry. I've been dealing with a lot of stuff in my personal life + computer issues + losing my notes and having to spend a few weeks locating them.

I am still working on the legacy, and I hope to have the next chapter up soon. I'm very sorry for the delay.
captainmills

Re: The Nalaar Legacy College Part Two 8/7/2015

Post by captainmills »

Update!

(Sorry for the delay)
Radiochocolate
Sweden

Post Counts

Post by Radiochocolate »

I would like to see more of this*.
Spoiler:
Interesting restrictions you've set up for yourself :eyebrow:
OOH PYROMANIACS :hearts: Maria and Rosa are no exception to the "twins are scary"-rule. Neither to the "twins are awesome"-rule (okay maybe they're just my own personal viewpoints and not laws of physics, but you get what I mean).
Ava is definitely a tsundere. Source: I watch a brickload of anime. Oh boy, I would not have wanted that pet LTW.
ALL HAIL THE QUEEN OF THE AXES! And yes, couple portraits are cute. Like the one for Hydrus ;) And there goes the founder *sniff*
"Stephan" is called Gordon in my TPC. Feels weird to see him dating your heiress when he used to be a potential mate for one of my spares. The joys of multiple universes~
The term 'Watcher' reminds me of The Sims Medieval. That poor burglar xD

Btw, you can alter the surnames and household names using SimPE.
*code for "don't write something great and then let people forget about it"
//Currently on a non-committed hiatus from Boolprop and Sims//
Iron Values TPC | Sim!Mia | Simbia Penal Colony BaCC
Sunny's Monster Mash | Sim Scrabble: a TS2 Name Game
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Oooh! Nice to see this again!

I loved the part with the burglar! Those girls are scary!

Now that college is over, hopefully, you'll enjoy playing it more (and updating more!).
captainmills

Post by captainmills »

I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry. I really am. I had no intention of taking this long between updates at all. I mentioned before that I had lost my notebook with all my legacy stuff in it and had finally found it again and planned to get back to work--months ago. Then I had a really nasty breakup. When he moved out, several of my things turned up missing. Legacy notebook included. It had all my notes about what had happened in the game as well as plans for where to go with it. That's all gone. Luckily, some very important things, such as details about each family member, were stored on my computer as well. So I didn't lose as much as I might have. However, the loss was big enough that I honestly considered giving up on this entirely cause I was worried that I wouldn't be able to pick it back up. And even when I decided to keep going, it was really really hard to get it together. That's why the latest chapter might seem a bit disjointed. I had written everything up to right before Maria proposed way back when with notes and plans. The proposal itself as well as everything after was written fairly recently mostly from memory, what I could gather from the pictures I had and what had already been written.

Oh, and Radiochocolate, if you think twins are scary now, just wait until you get a good look at Gen 3.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

What? How DARE life interfere with simming! Life has NO RIGHT to come first. Doesn't life know that?!

Where's that sarcasm font when I need it?

HE STOLE YOUR NOTES?!

I hope you're in a better place now, captainmills. :hug: That really stinks, going through all that. I'd be gutted if some jerk stole MY writing! That's right out of Little Women and manuscript burning scene. :hissyfit: It was bad enough when I lost some of my writing, myself, but THAT! Oh, that just burns me up!

But I'm glad to see you're back, and I hope you're having fun again. If you're not having fun, it's not worth the writing.

As one former note-loser to another: If you haven't written it out yet, it's fair game to change it. The readers will never know the difference, as long as you are internally consistent with what you already have published in your previous chapters. If it hasn't been published, yet, you can edit to your heart's content.

Don't let your jerk, note-stealing ex be the cause of any more frustration than he's already caused. He doesn't deserve that kind of power. :hugs:

Maybe you can make a simself of the jackass, and keep him in permanent aspiration failure, while he mops Cap's floors for hours on end.

Also, I felt the latest chapter was smooth and quite entertaining. You did a great job of picking it back up.
captainmills

Post by captainmills »

I'm glad you liked it :D

I am having fun with it. Though I'll admit to having twinge of anger every time I open the lot or work on writing just cause I can't help but remember that THAT JERK STOLE MY WRITING. But it's just a little twinge, and I forget it soon enough. I am planning on breaking it up a little by doing an apocalypse on the side. This is so that I can take breaks but avoid another hiatus and because I've been wanting to try another apocalypse since the Great Game Corruption killed my last one.

As for the plot, a lot of what I had originally planned on won't be happening. But I have ideas for new plot. This does mean that the plot probably won't start to really move until Gen 3 is grown up, but oh well. I can make do on character, jokes, and mini-plots until then. And it's true: I am free to change it. The original plot wasn't meant to start until after Gen 2 left college anyway. So it's not like there'll be a bunch of dead ends to worry about.

And a question for Radiochocolate (or whoever knows and wants to tell me): How exactly would I go about changing their surname in SimPE? I'm not very good with the technical stuff and I don't want to kill my game over a typo.

Return to “Sims 2 Story Graveyard”