Youngdale Build a Royal Queendom Challenge Apr 28, 19

Forum rules
If you wish to have your legacy moved back to the active forums, please report the thread and specify which forum it should be returned.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Re: Youngdale Build a Royal Queendom Challenge - Upd. Aug 31

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Warning! Snapdragons are great, but they can also make life kind of boring. Use with discretion.
Spoiler:
Yeah, the Lermas family is making lots of use of snapdragons, for my own sanity. :cover: :nono: :headache: However, the refrigeration required for the flower bench makes it impossible for them to be created in The Hamlet, so they will be rare there, unless a modern merchant opens a flower shop there, and sells them. For top prices, no doubt. But, yeah, it will be much less boring in the Hamlet, because of their rarity, which is actually one of the reasons I instituted the place. And one of the reasons I will NOT do a medieval who's your daddy. I might do a medieval asylum, or some other "punishment" challenge, but not a WYDC. Yikes. I shudder to think of that one without snapdragons. I really do.

Although, I believe that Keika managed it without them, or at least without filling the house with them. See "Wynter Wonderland" for some awesome-sauce story-telling.
Last edited by MichelleCYoung on August 31st, 2017, 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Scribal_Goddess

Post Counts

Re: Youngdale Build a Royal Queendom Challenge - Upd. Mar 19

Post by Scribal_Goddess »

Yeah, it's going to take me... freaking forever to earn an actual snapdragon, considering that the sim closest to their bronze flower badge doesn't have enough for a community lot yet, and is almost a third of the way through his lifespan. (Also I was thinking of relegating them to businesses only, just I was thinking of doing for energisers... I randomly decided to play with one aspiration object on each lot at a time, and the previous one must be used up or thrown out if you get a new one.)

I've been avoiding the downtown time warp because most lots can't get you food or sleep, and no one is permaplat yet, so energizer use is not unlimited. :)
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Oh, that's a cool limitation.

My sister just does not get why I put limitations on my game play. She gets as many chesty-type mods and hacks as she can, and doesn't do any challenges. But then again, she rarely actually plays, and spends most of her simming time online shopping for more mods and hacks. Over a decade of Sims 2, and she still has not had a vampire nor a member of the secret society, nor a werewolf, nor a host of other things, because it just never came up, I suppose.

So, it is so refreshing to me to find another person who recognizes the value of adding challenges and limitations, even if you have no other reason than just, "I wanted to add a bit of spice."
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Scribal_Goddess

Post Counts

MichelleCYoung wrote:Oh, that's a cool limitation.

My sister just does not get why I put limitations on my game play. She gets as many chesty-type mods and hacks as she can, and doesn't do any challenges. But then again, she rarely actually plays, and spends most of her simming time online shopping for more mods and hacks. Over a decade of Sims 2, and she still has not had a vampire nor a member of the secret society, nor a werewolf, nor a host of other things, because it just never came up, I suppose.

So, it is so refreshing to me to find another person who recognizes the value of adding challenges and limitations, even if you have no other reason than just, "I wanted to add a bit of spice."
Yeah, I've been having a lot of fun in my BACC with the limitations...though I keep breaking the "no catalogue buys for skilling objects" one because I keep forgetting / not having a sim with needs good enough to run to the store. (Especially in the household with two toddlers, one infant, and a pregnant sim...
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Updated with Peaches Rock's first week as a medieval merchant.

Rock Household - Merchant - August 31, 2017 - Now on Slideshare! This time, it's PDF format, so please let me know how that works for you. I'm experimenting.

I spent most of August putting this together, and wanted to post it before September, so I don't screw up the numbers for SimNaWriMo. My goal for SimNaWriMo is to post one update a week, but we'll see how it goes. If it gets as in-depth as Peaches' week was, ... well... This one's pretty long. Anyway, enjoy!
mysterymusic7

Post Counts

Post by mysterymusic7 »

Honestly I can't see a difference between pdf and regular so can't really help with that.
Spoiler:
I could not stop laughing when that poor child end up with tinkering as her one true hobby...and she's living in the Hamlet.
That sounds like my sort of luck.
Yeah I agree, punish the sims not yourself.
Hopefully the school thing works out for you. I think it'd be fun to read. Sorry Peaches...but you did burn down the court.
I was starting to think Joshua was in hiding or something, but good for him passing on sage advice about NOT breaking the rules.
Oh wow I never went to that hobby lot either. That is so cool...course now that I'm on the mac I don't have Free Time so no indoor pool for me. Well boo.
Nice update. Glad to see you back in RKC mood!
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Thanks, mystery!
Spoiler:
I get a kick out of how naturally ambitious Holly is. She literally wants to skill ALL the time. Which means I need to get cracking on a university for her, because she'll be a shoe-in for scholarships. And knowing that, I think she won't have any problem falling in love with an appropriate modern sim. Of course, it will have to be noble or merchant, for them to propose to her. She could propose to a peasant, of course, but that means staying in The Hamlet. Likewise, if she falls for an NPC. We'll just have to wait and see if her heart leads her to the modern world, or if she chooses love over technology. Of course, there is no rule that says she can't have multiple lovers, sooo... Her options are still wide open at this point.

Yeah, my favorite thing about the Freetime was the lifetime happiness perks, not the hobby lots. I have done a few hobby lots, mostly the music & Dance, the art, and the nature lots. Now, I'm really curious about the others, and have decided to encourage my sims to explore their hobby options. Still, as EPs go, it's not that big of a loss to give up. Not like Apartment Life and witchcraft! Golly, I love the magic! Sometimes, I play on my Mac, because reasons (mostly computer memory), and golly, I miss the magic!
Scribal_Goddess

Post Counts

Spoiler:
Wow, even by the standards of someone who really profits from community lot limbo, Peaches blasted her way through all the economic restrictions. I've gotta take notes or something, especially since you're running a school and I'm still trying to get my BACC one set up...

I actually hadn't thought a vacation could be that profitable, since I seldom play them because my old computer would get cranky with all those extra neighborhoods and such. Also a reason I seldom used the hobby lots, though I'm beginning to think I should... probably not in New Edenia though.

Also, I like the kids, and I'm wondering if anyone has done inheritance solely by adoption in a family before...
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Spoiler:
I don't know. Adoption isn't very popular, when people have genetics they want to pass on.

Peaches really just blew me away with her financial success, yep. I seem to be incapable of allowing my sims to suffer through poverty. I need a slacker who actually slacks. Just for variety.

Speaking of variety, I am adding a bit in my next chapter, if I can ever get it finished. Sigh. I got so frustrated, I had to take a break, that wound up being nearly half the month! Yikes! Back to work, Michelle!
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Re: Youngdale Build a Royal Queendom Challenge - Upd. Sep 25

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Update! The Rauta family's week 2 was something else. It took almost the entire month to play and write it, and it came up to a whopping 235 slides! But here it is: Rauta Week 2.
Scribal_Goddess

Post Counts

Wow, that was a REALLY glitchy lot.
Spoiler:
Initially I thought the game had unset the kids as related to the adults, but that doesn't explain why it did it at birth... or why after they could teach them their skills the cribs still didn't work, so my tentative guess is something routing related on the lot? Either way, yikes.

I love the "elemental" naming theme here though. And Holly trying to marry her way out of the hamlet. :)

The Monique hacked computer is super powerful on business lots, it seems. I'll have to keep that in mind when my BACC starts paying taxes.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Thanks!
Spoiler:
Yeah, I could not believe how glitches up the babies were. Now, at least, I know how to deal with it, if it happens again, but I REALLY hope this does not become a thing.

I squealed with delight when Holly stepped off that bus! And whether Argon is an heir or a spare, I think Holly will wind up preferring him (unless the chemistry is just awful). She's so smart and wants to be in charge, and he's just happy to do what he's told. His passivity and lack of intelligence could be either really annoying or really convenient, depending on the character of the other person. Frankly, it reminds me of that old story, "A Pottle of Brains." I actually saw this manperform the story at a RenFaire, and have loved it, every since.

Monique's computer at a community lot - I cannot tell you how chuffed I was when I discovered I could actually assign customers to write articles for me! WOW! This puts me in mind to build an "office" business, where you hire "office workers" to "write TPS reports" all day long. As they build their skills, they earn raises, of course, but they never do climb out of the cube farm. I should have a pointy-haired boss costume for the manager.
Scribal_Goddess

Post Counts

I bet you there are some fences available that could be used to make cubes...
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Well, now I just HAVE to do it!
mysterymusic7

Post Counts

Post by mysterymusic7 »

Spoiler:
OH MY WORD! So many glitches.
That was insane Michelle. I would have been freaking out...probably as much as poor Allyn about getting her babies back.
Glad you got it sorted, but ah poor Argon. I can't remember the last time i had a truly not bright sim....it's been a while.
I laughed so hard when Holly got off that bus....it's just too perfect.
Does that count as cheating?? I mean I could see you making an argument that it's not real love if she's just bossing him around. Course Argon seems perfectly happy with the arrangement so LOL!
Bwhahahaha with them ending up with a ton of kids even though they didn't plan on it.
Felt a little bad with Allyn dooping him with the whole demi god thing, but then again HE did fall for it so and plus you can now found your mystic household....yeah it's fine.
Plus I mean the house was huge...course you had to move....yeah the new one will be just as big. What with him being os ambitious and all that.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Spoiler:
It won't be cheating if she has actual love hearts for Argon and he has actual love hearts for her. Which is probably going to happen, but you never know. Chemistry is a real thing, and she may fall for one of the other boys, after all.

Yeah, he fell for it, alright. He's pretty gullible, and I think that is reflected in his children. I haven't checked his intelligence score with the Batbox, but Argon and Helium are both stuck at 100, while the other kids are at 300, and learn everything really quickly, while the first two just sort of trudge along. I don't know how long it took for their father, because he just kept at it, regardless of time, and using the throne, and all that, so... He might not be very bright, either. I just don't know.

Yes, their new house will probably be pretty big, but I think I'll try to hold back a bit. I'm not sure if it was the lot or the family. If it's some sort of family curse (LOL!!! That would be hysterical, in a really maddening way), then I'll just have to deal with it. :banghead:

I like Allyn, but she really took out her frustrations in a less-than-ideal way, and I'm wondering if that is ever going to come back and bite her.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

I realized that some of my furniture was missing from Buy mode, meaning that some of my lots built for certain families (in particular, Joshua and Jasmine's home) are now going to be incomplete, and GAAAAH! Further testing also proved that the stupid crib bug is still in effect, and at that point, I decided to just move everything over to another folder on my computer, and start a factory re-set game, and slowly add stuff back in, until I can play this neighborhood again.

In other words – Youngdale is on hiatus until I can fix the darned glitches!

I'm saving it, and hoping that someday, I will be able to move it back. If I can't get it to work, as is, I may just have to package all the sims and move them into a brand new neighborhood. I'm actually OK with that.

But in the meantime, I'm starting a factory reset, and for play-testing, I must have a challenge. You know me. It's like I can't even play without SOME sort of challenge, so, I'll be loading up one special sim to start a strict, following-the-rules-and-keeping-score BACC, with a single twist - I can't spend my CAS points on sim-bin or newly-created sims; I have to move-in townies, and ONLY if they are going to carry on THE FOUNDER's DNA. In other words, every sim in all future generations of this town WILL trace their bloodline back to my founder. Tell me if you think he deserves to play vanilla. BWAAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

P.S.: Thanks to Candi for giving permission to use this guy. Points to anyone who can guess who!
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Re: Youngdale Build a Royal Queendom Challenge Mar 10, 19

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Updated, and SURPRISE!

But, the next update will come soon, I promise.
mysterymusic7

Post Counts

Post by mysterymusic7 »

Well that was nice...
Spoiler:
Poor Stones probably felt a little neglected with all the focus on putting Youngdale back in running order.
But hey they can get over it. :P
Oh lookie simselves...does my simself download still work? Not that I could make a new one these days, just curious.
Oh dear you just HAD to let werewolves into your kingdom didn't you Michelle? Goodness knows what that Taint is going to do..
Guess I'll find out soon.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Thanks, Mystery!
Spoiler:
Yeah, it had a profound effect on Youngdale, and on me! Oh, no! But the next chapter will be out soon. As long as I can drag myself out of my three-day downloading binge on MTS2.

Literally. Three days. Yikes.

Return to “Sims 2 Story Graveyard”