New Challenge - Kids raising kids - need suggestions

Jendra

New Challenge - Kids raising kids - need suggestions

Post by Jendra »

So, I came up with this new challenge and am basically making the rules up as I play, any suggestions may or may not be taken, but will certainly be taken into consideration and be appreciated :hug:
If there's already one like this, let me know please.

I started with one adult, one teen, one child, two toddlers and a dog. I moved them onto an extreme lot and family funded them down to a start of $20,000 (so $1,500 of cash after buying the lot). The dad immediately moved out. The purpose is for the family to continue, but there should never be an adult on the lot for more than absolutely necessary. Every time a teen reaches adulthood, they are to call to adopt a baby (if there is not enough money to adopt, they may stay until there is and get a job to earn money, but it's a penalty). They may stay until the baby is brought, but then need to leave as soon as possible. If there is no teen available than the adult may stay *without* a job, but must adopt a new baby every three days until there is a teen on the lot or there is no more room in the household. No nannies or babysitters allowed.

If you want to play your characters after they move out and want them to go to University, then they may as long as there is still a teen on the lot to take childcare duty and then they move back in after Uni with their money family funded away. Once they've adopted, they move back out.

Challenge is won when the 10th generation child is adopted. Challenge is failed if the children are taken away by social worker.

Only one of each moneymaking item allowed on the lot at a time (and no going to hobby lots to make money either), except money trees, where you can have 3 (although that doesn't help much when Henry keeps going and harvesting them while he's green! :mutter: ). I personally don't allow digging for treasure, unless it's for things that are not going to be sold. Date and outing rewards can be sold.

Teens and pets can get jobs, but teens may only have a job if there's another teen to be there for the children or there are no children or younger on lot (in other words, no nannies and no use of that hack that allows children to stay by themselves)

I'm allowing the founders to buy what they need until the oldest is 5 days from adult, at that point they should have $3000 before they spend any more, and then never allow the total to drop below $3000, so there's no reason for a delay in adoption.

Aspiration is rolled for. Aspiration rewards not including elixir may be used, with the restriction on money trees and counterfeiting station. No career rewards may be used. Perks may be used.

+1 per skill maxed before adulthood
+1 per gold badge
+1 per hobby maxed

-1 per day adult stays on lot (this includes if the new baby comes at 10 and the adult cannot leave until the teen comes home from school, it counts as a day)
-5 for any death

I haven't yet decided if I want to have the dog as part of the points, i.e must have puppies.

So what do you think?
Felicia1066

Re: New Challenge - Kids raising kids - need suggestions

Post by Felicia1066 »

Hmmm, interesting... I'm assuming the starting kids are all Generation 1, and any child adopted by one of them will be Generation 2, and so on?

You mention hobby lots being restricted, but what about other community lots? Because sending a teen there for dating, or making money, can make a big difference. (I've played a family that started out with a teen, a child, and four toddlers, and believe me when I say dating was an essential part of my survival strategy. Of course that was before Seasons, so there was lawn living.) If they had the money - say someone got an expensive date gift or two - would they be allowed to buy a business and run it? For the pets, what about pet jobs and/or breeding pets to sell? Would there be penalties every time someone gets a bad grade, or is that simply considered part of the deal?

Just giving some initial thoughts on things to consider... ;)
Jendra

Post by Jendra »

Yep, founding group is gen 1, first set of adoptees group 2, (though they'll be considered cousins, won't they? Ah well)

Bad grades are definitely part of the deal for teens, they've got to skip school to take care of the babies and toddlers. If there's more than one teen available, then they can take turns and their grades won't drop so much, but if there's only one, there's no other option. There's no reason for bad grades for children though, so that could be a penalty.

Pet jobs are fine, I don't think they'd have any chance of surviving the winter if it wasn't for Queen's job, her latest bonus allowed them to build a room just in time for winter.

Dates are fine, though doing it on a community lot would only be possible if there's more than one teen around or you take the kids with you... that would suck <grin>.

I think a reasonable business lot would be okay (no venues that you dazzle into people paying $1999 an hour), but again, no leaving the kids alone, they either come with you and have somewhere to play there, or there's a teen left behind (and no sending one teen to the lot, calling the second one in and leaving the kids alone without anyone knowing <grin>)

Breeding pets to sell... I don't know that I've ever done that, I usually just give them away, how much would that usually earn?

Thanks for the comments!
Felicia1066

Post by Felicia1066 »

Well, as soon as there are only kids and no toddlers or babies, you've got that two hour window between 1 and 3 pm to head to a community lot, get a few dream dates under your belt, and return home platinum and with all moods refreshed in time for the kids to come home from school. (Or run the business for a while, if there's a shortage of funds.) Do that every school day, and the teen stays fairly happy and can care for the little ones, plus do homework, and will have the aspiration points for the energizer should one be needed.

What you get for puppies varies with how much effort you've put into training them - even after a few hours of praising and scolding they'll be worth around 7-800 simoleons each, if not more. Or you could let them grow into adult dogs and start teaching them tricks, which would raise their worth into the thousands, but will mean spending more time on them.

If you start the game with that set-up you described, two toddlers, would they both be required to adopt before leaving the household? I've never tried to have two different sims adopt on the same day, but I'm not sure it's possible, so one of them might have to stay an extra day. Well, one of them might have to stay anyway, since I don't think the first adoptee would've had time to turn teen yet.

A couple of generations down the line, you might get romances between the teens, since they wouldn't be considered related any more.
Jendra

Post by Jendra »

Actually, for the two toddlers, I messed up, but what I *meant* to do was grow them into children one day apart, so I could grow them into teens two days apart. Still, if I remember to do teens right, they'll grow into adults two days apart, so that part isn't too worrisome.

I think for all of the money stuff, it depends on how you like to play. I doubt I'll use them because I like having to scramble for the things they need, but for someone who wants to do it while trying to make as much money as they can, they can use them.

Return to “Sims 2 Chat”