Build a City Challenge Chat

goeswithoutsinging

Re: Build a City Challenge Chat

Post by goeswithoutsinging »

Avenie wrote:I'm trying to start up my own BaCC, but I want to do so on a clean neighbourhood, and the guides out there are pretty useless, so far. Do any of you have experience with setting up a clean neighbourhood with the ultimate collection? And if so, could anybody throw me a few tips, because I am completely at a loss here.
I made my neighborhood sorta "semi-clean"- I kept the regular townies and NPCs like Goopy and Kaylynn Langerak etc.- but I did use these templates so I wouldn't have to deal with the Maxis premade families so I might be able to offer suggestions.

Here's the first tutorial I could find via Google- what parts exactly are you having trouble with?
TB Asylum Challenge - Daily life with the criminally insane. Completed.
River Heights BACC - We have a boot. Ongoing.
Pharith BARKC - Classism and disastrous gardens. Ongoing.
simsterlyrock
Steam ID: cclimer94
Origin ID: simsterlyrock
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by simsterlyrock »

Avenie wrote:I'm trying to start up my own BaCC, but I want to do so on a clean neighbourhood, and the guides out there are pretty useless, so far. Do any of you have experience with setting up a clean neighbourhood with the ultimate collection? And if so, could anybody throw me a few tips, because I am completely at a loss here.
I follow someone on tumblr who posted about custom 'hoods last night, so I can link you to her two posts since they might help. :) 1 2
Avenie

Post Counts

Post by Avenie »

Brilliant, thank you! You're turning into my TS2 guardian angel at this point!
simsterlyrock
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by simsterlyrock »

Haha, you're welcome! I love being able to help my fellow simmers. :)
Scribal_Goddess

Post Counts

Post by Scribal_Goddess »

Okay, first you need to install all the mods in this tutorial. You will also (unless you want to add them later) need to disable all the bin families.

Bin families can be removed by going to EACH ep's installation location (Program Files 86 / Origin Games / The Sims 2 Ultimate collection / Apartment life, for example,) then opening TSData/Res/Neighborhood Template and clearing out the character files of the named neighborhoods. Apartment life is E002, Best of Business should not be tinkered with unless you want to be able to add a clean Bluewater Shopping district, (In which case, I recommend Mootilda's clean neighborhood templates) Bon Voyage you want to clear out only V001 (To remove the Travellers) but not the others (they're vacation hood specific NPC's and are not added until you add a hood... also some of them may be object NPC's, like the witch doctor.) Double Deluxe shouldn't be tinkered with if you want to add the default downtown ever, Free time is F002, Fun with pets is P001, Seasons is G002, and Uni doesn't need to be messed with.

As always, back up all hoods and instead of just deleting a folder's contents, copy-paste it to an appropriately named folder, then run the game (you may have to delete some premade neighborhoods if you have already generated them and they have bin sims,) and open a tester neighborhood. No family bin sims should appear. To further test, make a test sim, motherlode them half a dozen times, add the vacation subhoods and send them to each one for a brief stay to check out all the NPC's - they should be able to learn the sea shanty from the pirate ghost, get a voodoo doll, learn to teleport, and invite bigfoot home. When all vacation memories are filled (cheat if necessary so they can meet all the NPC's,) cheat them into being a witch and check on the witch neighborhood - if it loads properly and they can meet the head witches, you're good. Invite over Garden Club (to check that the seasons secret subhood is fine,) and cheat your sim into any hobby's full enthusiasm if they don't already have an invite, and go to any hobby lot to check on it.

If all things check out, you have successfully modded your game! Note that optional subhoods (Downtown, Bluewater, the three original universities, the three vacation destinations) should still have any applicable NPC's and bin sims - removing specific sims from them is not recommended by me, as I don't know how to do it, and some of them (for example, the oldies) may have family ties. There are clean templates available for all of them, however. :)

Hope this helped!
Pony
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Ukraine

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Pony »

Thanks for the links Riss, I totally decided I need a new challenge and was able to start a neighborhood with clean templates for the first time. :)

But I did managed to get some progress made on catching up writing in Silver Bend yesterday, and I edited the next chapter for Veda. So as soon as my internet resets next week, I'll have a new chapter to post. :D
Avenie

Post Counts

Post by Avenie »

Thank you for your help everyone! My BaCC is up and running! I don't think I'm going to document this one properly. It's going pretty well, though. I'm on my second round, there's three households, and I have a population of 20. Having so much fun!
FunkyFresh
Netherlands

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by FunkyFresh »

Oh no, I'm afraid my BACC is corrupted already :( I just discovered my toddlers have lifetime wants, and they want to buy a car and have their first kiss and stuff. It was going so well, I do not want to start all over again :cry: Some sims don't have wants or fears at all, just blue squares.
Completed challenges:
Spoiler:

simsterlyrock
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by simsterlyrock »

That's so weird! Hopefully you can figure out how to fix it so you don't have to restart.
Pony
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Ukraine

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Pony »

That's so strange. The game is so weird sometimes, I hope you can fix it.

I accidentally got Gabie Sugar pregnant again, her fourth child in her ISBI challenge. Sigh and her other three kids were getting so close to growing up. At least they'll be some help with the baby. Got some progress done towards catching up on writing too. I just need to edit and then I'll have a chapter ready to upload.
goeswithoutsinging

Complaining time! I've just started on Week 9lol guess who's v behind on actually writing up stuffbut my neighborhood is being awful about loading and pretty much crashes if i try to do anything now. >:|

Luckily I made a backup at the end of Week 8 (also before I started trying to clear out CC I didn't want + installed some new stuff) so if I can't fix these issues at least I shouldn't have lost much progress.
Pony
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Ukraine

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Pony »

We can be behind together! *high fives*

Thank Boolprop for back ups. I hope you can figure out what's wrong.
Anya

Post by Anya »

Hello everyone! Despite running a BACC since January, I had not yet dropped by this thread... major oversight on my part, really. Anyway, I wanted to see if I could get some feedback on a few custom rules I'm considering. Some of them are extra restrictions, while some of them let me unlock a thematically-appropriate hack. Right now, the one I'm most interested in getting feedback for is the following:

Reproductive Medicine
If a household has the SimSanto Inc Biotech Station and at least one member in the Science or Medical career, that household has access to the InSIMenator Reproductive Adjuster for the purposes of IVF according to the following rules.
  • When impregnating a Sim via the Reproductive Adjuster, number of babies MUST be randomized.
  • The "mother" does not have to be female, and the "father" does not have to be male.
  • Sims who have been abducted by aliens may use the Alien Pollination option (they use a sample gathered on the mothership).
  • If the scientist/doctor owns a laboratory-themed business, their friends' households may also use the Reproductive Adjuster within restrictions.
  • Cloning is allowed, but due to the game's refusal to make anything but an Opposite Sex Clone, the procedure will not be carried out via Reproductive Adjuster. Instead, a copy of the Sim will be made in CAS, aged down to toddler, and memory-wiped. This DOES use a CAS point.
Mutation Central: An Uglacy
Winner of two Golden Plumbobs!
ImageImage

Oceanview BACC
A city built on rock and roll... and furious exploitation of Open for Business.
Wealth-boom strategy, heavy character focus, and ridiculously cute aliens.
Anne
Netherlands

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Anne »

Sounds like an interesting hack! If I were to implement this myself, I would make my Sims pay a lot of money for it as well, though, since IVF is terribly expensive and, to me, it would feel a bit like cheating to have them be able to do this for free (even with the careers and Station). That's just my two cents, though. :)

I've finally started playing Blueberry Island again after a few months of playing Sims 4! When I loaded the game again this weekend I realised I really missed it. :)
Avenie

Post Counts

Post by Avenie »

Anya - It's interesting you've posted that! I've been considering doing the same thing in mine. I don't think it goes against the spirit of the challenge at all. It's not like you're giving yourself an edge or anything. Go for it!
FunkyFresh
Netherlands

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by FunkyFresh »

Just a little question. In my BACC, can I just let sims donate random amounts of money for the university fund? Or should I let just 1 sim donate 1.000.000 Simoleons? Like the rules say, I'm extracting 5% of everyone's lot value each week, but it's soooo slow. Just extracting the amount of money every week would be so much faster, but I don't want to break the rules.
Completed challenges:
Spoiler:

Pony
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Ukraine

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Pony »

Of course :), I usually have Sims donate part or all of a windfall. In Silver Bend, I wanted to get a university quickly. So the three richest families donated huge amounts each.

If you have one sin donate the whole million you can make it a private university. In the original rule set, the founder of a private university gets $50,000 for everyone that enrolls. And if you want you can be choosy on who can go or not go to the private university.
FunkyFresh
Netherlands

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by FunkyFresh »

Thanks Pony!! Now my sims will have a university before I turn 80 :lol:
Completed challenges:
Spoiler:

Scribal_Goddess

Post Counts

Post by Scribal_Goddess »

Anya wrote:Hello everyone! Despite running a BACC since January, I had not yet dropped by this thread... major oversight on my part, really. Anyway, I wanted to see if I could get some feedback on a few custom rules I'm considering. Some of them are extra restrictions, while some of them let me unlock a thematically-appropriate hack. Right now, the one I'm most interested in getting feedback for is the following:

Reproductive Medicine
If a household has the SimSanto Inc Biotech Station and at least one member in the Science or Medical career, that household has access to the InSIMenator Reproductive Adjuster for the purposes of IVF according to the following rules.
  • When impregnating a Sim via the Reproductive Adjuster, number of babies MUST be randomized.
  • The "mother" does not have to be female, and the "father" does not have to be male.
  • Sims who have been abducted by aliens may use the Alien Pollination option (they use a sample gathered on the mothership).
  • If the scientist/doctor owns a laboratory-themed business, their friends' households may also use the Reproductive Adjuster within restrictions.
  • Cloning is allowed, but due to the game's refusal to make anything but an Opposite Sex Clone, the procedure will not be carried out via Reproductive Adjuster. Instead, a copy of the Sim will be made in CAS, aged down to toddler, and memory-wiped. This DOES use a CAS point.
This seems about right. I've restricted IVF until someone tops the medical career, and male natal parents and non-donor assisted reproduction for same sex couples won't be available until someone maxes mad science. Until then, ladies will need a male friend to be the donor and some cash for our local hospital, and men will need a lady friend willing to carry the kid and give it to them for adoption, or take their chances with the kids in the townie pool.
goeswithoutsinging

Pony wrote:We can be behind together! *high fives*

Thank Boolprop for back ups. I hope you can figure out what's wrong.
(hi5 from under an enormous mound of notes and unlabeled pictures)

I have worked out that one of my issues was somewhere in my PT Genetics folder- I use this mod- and that for some reason something in that folder is making a certain lot crash when I try to load it. Possibly because it's conflicting somehow with another file? the ways of cc are a mystery to me.

(Also a mystery: why my PT Genetics folder wound up in my folder for wallpapers. Seriously, past me, how and why and wtf???)

Since the folder that comes with the mod also has a bunch of probably-extraneous things with it (mostly eye sets) that the PTs themselves don't use, I've tried removing a bunch of those to see if I can have my working PTs and my non-crashing lot.

ETA: Okay so apparently the eyes used for PT 99 have abruptly started to make my cemetery lot crash when I try to open it. How? Why? I am not one to understand such things but at least I seeeeem to have isolated the problem. We shall see.

Return to “Sims 2 Chat”