Tips for Building a Custom University

Bouncer
Team Moderator
Team Moderator
United States of America

Post Counts

Tips for Building a Custom University

Post by Bouncer »

Hi guys, I haven't been able to find a forum on just the discussion of making your own University. I personally just unlocked my first Uni in my BACC and tell you the truth, its a bit intimidating.... So I know there is several people on these threads that have done their own building, just thinking having tips in one place could be good since its one big project.

I personally question how do you even start, or do you just go as needed? Or maybe you just take off of the already premade ideas and keep up with those ideas.
Image ImageImage
Me Garden of Gnomes
Rflong7
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob

Post Counts

Re: Tips for Building a Custom University

Post by Rflong7 »

Hi :mrgreen:

My first step used to always be in SimCity making a new map.. XD

I used to go with most of the lot types EA has in their Unis but now I like to keep it to a minimum. I don't actually know what a minimum is but I do like having one main lot with the store and hangouts grouped together and a library, gym, park.
The last Uni I built for my BACC has the pool lot, quad lot, and one bigger lot with the rest- library, stores, coffee, games.

I like having two dorms, one for grant Sims and one for paying Sims- besides me not liking to play huge dorms. XD
The Greek houses are a must but I make them build as they go- if I can wait that long.

This Uni is on the Twikkii island map so keeping it small fits it.

What are you building? :D
Twilightoutside

Post Counts

Post by Twilightoutside »

I'm with you on the map thing, Rflong7! :check:

Aside from that, there is mainly the question what for an Uni you want. Is it:

a) simply for raising the Sim Multiplicator - in which case you might even want to skip the terrain and just pretend you have added an Uni after deducting the Million to keep your hood from blowing up :timebomb: ... - ?

b) an Uni where you can have graduates, but without the full uni experience required - in that case, a few dorms, a community lot and a sorority/fraternity might be enough, as you can get more out of your uni time, if you spend most of it outside the uni downtown or simply on a community business (preferably one with tents), where your exam counter is on hold...

c) or a 'realistic Uni' with a library, faculties, gyms etc.... in this respect, the Eaxis Unis might be a first start for ideas for Community Lots:

Sim State University:
Spoiler:
•452-498 University Way (Shopping)
•Campus Coffee House
•Campus Gym
•Campus Lounge
•Central Quad
•Chestnut Park
•Old Sim State Tower
•Sim State Library
•Sim State Tower
•Student Union
•University Way Shops
La Fiesta Tech:
Spoiler:
• 51st Street Gym
• College Corner Market
• Fiesta Swim Center
• LFT Student Union
• Mirage Shopping Center
• Shallow Valley Library
• The Cacti Cafe
• The Plaza
• The Wasteland Lounge
Académie Le Tour:
Spoiler:
• Academy Gym
• Academy Park
• Campus Boutiques
• King's Music Hall
• Le Tour Student Center
• Library D'Livre
• Little Fallorayne Amphitheatre
• Loungarama Leisureland
• Romara Coffee Shop
• Waffle Way Shoppes
Interestingly, none of these Unis have any real faculties, for Science, Literature, Physics etc...
Bouncer
Team Moderator
Team Moderator
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Bouncer »

Thanks for ideas guys. I do appreciate the lists, for some reason they always do help with figuring out ideas and how people normally do the layout. I personally never have played SimsCIty (unless you count SimSocial xD).

Yeah in my BACC I'm mainly keeping a "scholarship dorm" and anyone else from money will have their own place (at least for my private college). I personally am curious whether or not custom dorms are possible or not...? That's just me though.

I never thought either of kind of having a "University Downtown", I'll probably only have it as a business district, but it does make you think at least layout wise and story wise (I'm someone that like's to categorize a little bit).

Your list of things do give me a better idea, I actually never thought of faculties before until I read a challenge that someone specifically made. So far I think I'll roll with my Uni, knowing for sure to have a dance studio of some kind (the one who paid for it has a real desire to share his dance passion). I'll probably slowly come up with ideas as ai go along.
Image ImageImage
Me Garden of Gnomes
Rflong7
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob

Post Counts

Post by Rflong7 »

Right- those are good points. I'm just saying what I do- and I usually like to stick to 3 or 4 lot types in Uni. I would build faculties if I had a story going for them, I guess.

I actually have 1 Uni built for my BACC but have earned 9 from the first year rotation - not quite done with the first year yet, I have the Uni kids to play and my Simself. XD
Bouncer
Team Moderator
Team Moderator
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Bouncer »

I do appreciate your point Rflong, sorry if I sounded off (blame the late summer heat...).

Yeah I understand the 1 out of 9 Uni's earned, since unless if there is so many young adults, I get a bit concerned...

I found this on MtS today: Campus Construction Challenge. It is an old one, but it gives ideas and a ton of theme ideas... I found it through a link of a downloadable dorm. Thought I should share it since I got some interesting ideas from it!
Image ImageImage
Me Garden of Gnomes
Anne
Netherlands

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Anne »

My current BaCC-hood doesn't have a university yet, but for a previous BaCC I decided that I had to "earn" community lots for the Uni hood. Which meant for me that I could make 1 community lot when creating the actual hood, and then could create another for every 5 or 10 graduates (I don't remember which number I chose). I didn't get very far with that uni (because I stopped playing the hood), but eventually you can have quite a big uni hood with all kinds of community lots. :) I usually start out with a student union kind of thing, including a library and a place to eat and hang out.
Twilightoutside

Post Counts

Post by Twilightoutside »

Anne, I already decided to try out your suggestion of earning Uni lots for graduates, perhaps just starting with one dorm and adding one building (community or residential) per 5 graduates - I won't count the buildings for the Sim Multiplicator though...

Additionally, whether as inspiration or simply because they look so dang good, there are also a few Uni Lot sets available, for example Illianas Nostre-Sim University and Hi-Tech University from tsr.com. StephSim also included a few collegio buildings in her Shadows of Gwyrch Hood. I also saved NEBERQUE223's entire Eiffel Uni series from the defunct Sims 2 Exchange here - and I made a complete Uni out of it here using plasticbox middleground terrain...

There are also a few more complete Universities - Maple Valley's Clarkston University subhood or Zazazu's Prospect University - or how could we forget Mootildas Brainania University? :angel:
Bouncer
Team Moderator
Team Moderator
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Bouncer »

I do like that idea for the University! Kind of gets it more of an realistic appeal on how the University grows (and if appreciated by the towns people...). I'll personally probably try to stay within the BACC rules in my main hood, but I will probably test it later on.

Interesting list! Will be having a good look for a few of them! Since yesterday I played another hood and got a real good look at some of Sims State Uni to see what ideas where given.
Image ImageImage
Me Garden of Gnomes
raebeth47

Post Counts

Post by raebeth47 »

I've kept things pretty simple with mine. Started with a basic dorm and an "administration building" that was pretty much just an empty building on a community lot. I've added a student union (basically a building with fun stuff and facilities to meet needs) and a library, as well as a luxury dorm for the rich kids and off campus housing. I was originally planning to add a new building for every $100,000 raised (rather than adding extra universities), but I've slacked off on that.
modelmgt
Location: Trailer Towers, or astride JoJo the Magic Circus Elephant.
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by modelmgt »

I've never undertaken a full-on custom university-town; I've always just built custom dorms in pre-built universities like La Fiesta Tech.
For the best custom dorm-building advice, just use the cheat-code and info from the Uni strategy guide. There are certain things a dorm HAS to have to function as a dorm, but after that, it's YOUR dream. :yes:
If you don't have the SG I can get the info for you if need be.
The Freshnfruity Uglacy II: Rebirth Chapters 1-11: Updated 9-5-2016

Freshnfruity's Livejournal
These Things Just Seem to Happen 1-9:Updated 9-1-22
Fugly Scrapbook & Polls
Keika
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Keika »

I like to start with dorms/greek house, depending on my needs. A lot of times I'll create a blank university to slowly fill out over time, and then completely ignore it in the course of whirlwind simming. ^^; When I do remember to add community lots, I'll frequently start with a student union or something like it, and branch out from there to small stories, libraries, gyms, etc. I like putting in a clock tower, too, because I have a giant clock from MTS that always begs to be included. :yes:

I did once do an undocumented prosperity where I forced myself to build 3 community lots in the college at the end of every round until it was done. Sometimes frustrating, since I kind of wanted to keep going with the challenge, but I ended up with a very pretty and diverse campus by the time I quit playing the challenge.
Scribal_Goddess

Post Counts

Post by Scribal_Goddess »

@ Anne: that's an excellent idea for a BACC college.

When I get around to starting a BACC (give it a couple years, at this point...) I was thinking of doing the first round of college with the "college at home" hacks, since it's my goal to run a BACC that's as free of extraneous townies as it can possibly be, and I might not have enough students to fill a whole dorm immediately. But my personal BACC checklist would be to start with an admin building (possibly with some rooms done up to look like small classrooms / meeting rooms, so it looks like your sims are actually having class somewhere,) then a library, buildings for sciences and humanities, and then branch out into something with more fun and business lots.

Of course, if the college at home hacks work, I'd be building this in a business district (Gotta get some use out of those, right?) so I'd have the students installed in apartments rather than dorms and I could have "on campus" coffee shops etc. being set up by enterprising local business owners who understand that coffee=study.

Also, it would rid me of the temptation to either 1) stay on the dorm lot for the entire four years because there's more than enough to do there during a 72 hour semester 2) cheat the kids some extra time so I can actually explore the campus.

Return to “Sims 2 Chat”