nicholaplaysthesims' Apocalypse [COMPLETE!]

Forum rules
Congratulations on completing your challenge!
nicholaplaysthesims
Steam ID: alpha_ddeathclaw
Origin ID: laaputa
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

nicholaplaysthesims' Apocalypse [COMPLETE!]

Post by nicholaplaysthesims »

please read
[spoiler]hi everyone, this was originally named something different but even though the challenge is complete it still haunts me to see that surname. the apocalypse was named originally after my ex-fiance because i couldn't think of a name. at the time i was under the illusion i was happy with him and everything that was happening was supposed to happen. long story short he was violent and abusive. i left him. i'm happy now, i'm with someone else. but this challenge is a reminder of me being sat there trying to play my game whilst he was screaming at me for "being a nerd" and pulling my laptop away from me. i will leave this active for everyone to read (still my proudest achievement to date, never ever thought i could complete an apoc challenge before) but if you comment or need anything i'd really appreciate you not referring to the family as anything to do with my ex's surname. thank you all for understanding. here's a unicorn. :unicorn:[/spoiler]

Rules | One | Two | Three | Four | Five | Six | Seven | Eight
Nine | Ten | Eleven | Twelve | Thirteen | Fourteen | Fifteen | Sixteen | Seventeen
Eighteen | Nineteen | Twenty | Twenty-One | Twenty-Two | Twenty-Three | Twenty-Four

Restrictions Lifted
[spoiler]Hopeless - Miranda
Culinary - Miranda
Pet Service - Webster
Medical - Gabe
Pet Showbiz - Alegra
Education - Daisy
Athletic - Shea
Military - Will
Law - Patrick
Paranormal - Connor
Gamer - Brandi
Science - Joseph
Pet Security - Grace
Slacker - Theo
Natural Science - George
Artist - Robin
Music - Tosha
Alien Technology - Robin (Illegally lifted due to telescope placement, null and void!)
Law Enforcement - Marnie
Life of Crime - Teddy
Show Business - Rhys
Journalism - Angie
Adventure - Prof. Kevin
Business - Nathan
Politics - Final Heir[/spoiler]
Last edited by nicholaplaysthesims on January 29th, 2017, 6:56 am, edited 29 times in total.
Teresa
Site Admin
Site Admin
Steam ID: tjsmetana
Origin ID: tsmetana
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Re: Mcloughlin Apocalypse - Updated [10/01/2015]

Post by Teresa »

Good luck. I have started many Apocalypse but never gotten past the second generation. This is one of the hardest challenges created, in my opinion.

And I love her carefree attitude about saving the world, and playing the puddles in her underwear. :thup:
Completing challenges & legacies since 2007 | Completed Stories
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Oh, Miranda is so cute! And the dancing and splashing! Love it!
Spoiler:
You're brave to rush through college like that. I always take forever, to make sure the founder is well-prepared with maxed skills and oodles of money and friends. Which can, actually, be kind of boring, but there you go. I invest in four years of boredom, so that I can have an easier start. You're going to have a fun, challenging start, because difficulties in sim lives make OUR lives FUN!

Yeah, I'm mean to my sims, and actually enjoy watching the aspiration meltdowns. Not the crying and worrying and kicking the trash can, so much. Those get old, fast. But a full-blown melt-down? AWESOME! I don't always take pictures, but I do slow down the game and enjoy the show.

Junior year "literally nothing happened." LOL!

And she's a prankster! Fun!

Marrying a dormie isn't bad, because he'll get the university benefits, as well. Natural Science, for example, is a good lift, and Paranormal allows you to get rid of the ghosts. Show Business is nice, because outings can be amazing at boosting everyone's needs. For an example of that, see the "Romancing the Apocalypse" by Lorinsv. And Artist is actually fairly useful, as well. It gives you Creativity for children, which can boost their fun, as well as prepare them for more career options. Alternately, you can check his diploma for his major, then look up what careers are listed, and he can take any of them, even if they're not the first one listed in the newspaper, so that gives you even more options.

I rather like marrying dormies, actually.
I look forward to reading more!
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
nicholaplaysthesims
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Teresa:

Thank you! She spent most of her time in college jumping in puddles, underwear or not. She's easily pleased!

Michelle:
Spoiler:
I did rush in comparison but she's got most of her skills to level 6+, the cycle went class > term paper > few assignments > skilling / relationship building which is why I tried to hard to make it look not boring because in reality it was! And thanks for the helpful hint with the dormie thing, I'm sure he'll come in useful at some point :P
nicholaplaysthesims
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Re: Mcloughlin Apocalypse - Updated [11/01/2015]

I got a little carried away and completed the next chapter!

Two
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

:thup:
This was so cute - you're doing great!
Spoiler:
The only oopsie I saw was a tiny and insignificant one, and it offered not one whit of an advantage as far as I can tell: the concrete tiles from the sidewalk to the front door.
Politics wrote:You may not place any items outside of this 8X8 area, nor modify tiles outside of it.
Just delete those, and you're perfect so far!

So many chance cards! Including them is a nice touch, made it feel like I was playing right along with you.

The multi-colored toilets and those "little shits" made me laugh too!
Miranda is a lot of fun to watch, I look forward to seeing more of her! :goodvibes:
Image Image
ISTJ
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Spoiler:
Whooo! You did it!

Congratulations. And as a bonus, with Culinary lifted, you'll have no problems getting the pet restrictions lifted in short order, as well. The big obstacle there (aside from the initial adoption issue) is keeping the critters fed. You can have all three pets at the same time, if you want, and also, toddlers can eat the pet food, so that frees up a bit of parental time, as well. Culinary is a FANTASTIC lift!
Save all your leftovers in the fridge, and when it comes time to replace the fridge, buy the replacement FIRST, then sell the old one, and you'll still have the leftovers in the new fridge. This is important, in case you run out of ingredients, before you run out of week. Those left-overs are literally a life-saver. And no more flies and food poisoning! Huzzah!

And just in time for your beau to move in on Tuesday. You are doing so well!

As for the house - I think it is lovely, and I don't know how you got the trash can and mailbox moved, but I think it's nifty. They don't count for the 8x8, so it doesn't matter where you place them. You do have to get rid of the pathway, though. Too bad.

Re: moving the bed - I find a fire is a wonderful way to redecorate. Just move all the one-space items to another room, or even better, another floor. Then, put the grill indoors, light her up, then run outside and lock the door behind you, so the sims can't run in and get burned. Viola! Clean up the ashes, and you can replace anything that was too big to move. I forget where I learned that trick. Well, I mean, I remember seeing the pictures, but I forget where I SAW them, so I can't give proper credit. Sorry. It's a great trick, though.

Oh, I don't know what her body skill is, but don't forget about yoga at level 3. It doesn't bring down the hygiene so much, and she'll want high body skill later, in case someone lifts Military. Going downtown is really handy, after all. Great for boosting the friend counts. Also, I discovered that yoga actually builds fun, a little bit.
Keep it up! Can't wait to read more.
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Lorinsv - I am binge-reading "Romancing the Apocalypse" today. I had read the first few chapters months ago, then got sidetracked, and while I remembered that your start was great, I didn't get back for a while. This one reminded me of it, though, so I'm back now, and at Gen 5! So much fun!

Also, I love your first lift. I want to try another apocalypse, just to try that first lift, for myself.
nicholaplaysthesims
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Lorinsv:
Spoiler:
AHHHH THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME KNOW! >.< See this is why I need constant supervision over my challenges. I'm so used to linking the path and the home I never even considered it. It will be gone next chapter! Thank you for the feedback, she didn't get one bad chance card which was so weird. I'm overdue them all when Gabe moves in though I can feel it/
Michelle:

Your helpful hints are going to get me through this challenge I swear! I will be coming to you whenever I need help :P
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Oh, chance cards! I can't even consider doing an apocalypse without access to www.snootysims.com! They have a list of all the chance cards up through Bon Voyage careers, and it shows not only the odds for each choice, but what will happen.

So, for example, it might be an 85% chance to get the "bad" result, if I choose option B, but the "bad" result is a fine I can easily afford, whereas option A's 15% "bad" result is being FIRED, which I just will not risk until Slacker is lifted.

Another reason why Law is not a horrible first lift. Heck, Show Business for your college-educated founder, marrying a dormie to lift Law (dormie's aren't tied to a career, anyway, and they have good starting skills), and then the first generation heir can marry-in either Diva or Mr. Big for an instant Slacker lift early in the game. And as Lorinsv has shown, Show Business is actually a helpful first lift, because options can boost people's moods, including hygiene for children.
nicholaplaysthesims
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

I do think that'll be a good idea using snootysims, never would have thought to look at that website! I've been scanning through it now, I feel like I'm pre-cheating :P
nicholaplaysthesims
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Re: Mcloughlin Apocalypse - Updated [13/01/2015]

I am playing this challenge waaaaaaaaay too much, never mind Miranda's sanity I'm not worried for my own. But still here you go!

Three
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Re: Mcloughlin Apocalypse - Updated [13/01/2015]

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Spoiler:
YOU STUPID FROZEN PIECE OF SHIT HOW DARE YOU. HOW DARE YOU PLAY AROUND IN THE SNOW IN PAJAMAS AND THEN COME INSIDE AND EAT THE SAME PIECE OF ROTTEN BURNED TURKEY YOU TRIED EARLIER. I SWEAR TO GOD.
Oh, I laughed SO HARD at that!
Spoiler:
Congratulations on getting the dog! Two words of advice - unless you want to become a werewolf (possible to survive, now you have culinary covered, although you might run out of groceries, so still be careful of all left-overs), then you shouldn't waste your time on the big black wolf with glowing eyes. You can't possibly adopt him, anyway. Also, here's my favorite website, for playing with pets: http://strategywiki.org/wiki/The_Sims_2 ... et_Careers. It's no help on the chance cards, but it tells you, in advance, what to train, so you can get a jump on the next level, especially during days off.
Also, I love the "photo-bombing" of the toilet. LOL! Reminds me of Keika's photo-bombing butler from the White Legacy (Completed Sims 2 Legacy Stories, right here on boolprop).

Speaking of tips and tricks, I learned one from the White Legacy - in a big legacy house, install ONE communal bathroom, with toilet stalls, and some itty-bitty shower rooms, and a row of 3 or so sinks. It's really all you need, even for a full house with a party on, and there's no shooing because someone wants to wash their hands, while someone else needs to pee. Of course, the toilet stalls require a 3x1 space, so it's not so good for an 8x8 house, but it sure is darned useful in a larger house.

I know you need to take a break. Still, I hope it won't be too long, because I really enjoy reading this. You're very funny!

Also, cool skin! I hope it lasts for a long time in your family.
nicholaplaysthesims
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Re: Mcloughlin Apocalypse - Updated [14/01/2015]

Michelle:
Spoiler:
I never even noticed that it was a werewolf, in my desperate attempt I just spoke to every single pet. I'll also be installing another floor once Chase finds a wife so I'll put a bigger bathroom in.
And I know I said I should be taking a break buuuuuuuuut...

Four
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

Spoiler:
The rules say you can't walk to work without Military lifted, since Military is a base game career Miranda should not have gone while preggers...anyway. I don't know how I waited until the third generation to lift Medical but somehow I did it. I am about to hit the fifth generation in my Apocalypse so they can FINALLY go to college!! No more 15 day drag with the teens. Nice updates though. :thup:
nicholaplaysthesims
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Ani-Mei wrote:
Spoiler:
The rules say you can't walk to work without Military lifted, since Military is a base game career Miranda should not have gone while preggers...anyway. I don't know how I waited until the third generation to lift Medical but somehow I did it. I am about to hit the fifth generation in my Apocalypse so they can FINALLY go to college!! No more 15 day drag with the teens. Nice updates though. :thup:
Darn, I never noticed that one! Well as punishment (since she's now dead an' all) the family will live one whole week on basic food rations, as per before the culinary lift. See, without you guys I'd never notice these things! :drinks:
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

It's okay, there are a lot of rules and restrictions to remember and most first timers usually mess up a few times, I know I did.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Chapter 4
Spoiler:
Awww! I love teaching the dog to play dead, and the mother/son smustle dance.

WHY didn't she get a platinum grave? I've never seen the hula dancers without it. Is your game glitched?

Yeah, I tested, and working out to the stereo doesn't raises fun. At least, not in a lazy sim.

Actually, Chase COULD see his lifetime want. If he lifts Education, and his wife lifts Military, then the children can go to college. I'd recommend leaving Military for the wife, because there's a chance he already knows a woman high in the career. But unless you have a mod for it, there's no way a townie will be in Education career. Anyway, they can work on it, at the same time, if he marries right away upon growing up. With good food and baths, they'll be in good enough moods to rise up the career ladder quickly. Food and hygiene are the biggest hurdles, I think.

I've often considered going for a Military/Education first generation lift, actually, and just let the second generation stay stinky and hungry, because college gives a career boost, even with the newspaper jobs. A summa cum laude graduate actually starts at level 4, if the career is within their major, because of the college degree boost. And that's not even from a mod. It's base game (well, University) rules.
I was so glad to see another chapter! Good going!
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Regarding the rules and restrictions - Oh, yeah! I have started so many apocalypse challenges, realized I broke a rule, and started a new one, and started a new one, and started a new one. I think your way of penalizing yourself, but continuing, is a much better choice.

Then, I finally had the rules for Apartment Life practically memorized, and my Windows DIE, so I have to play on the Mac, which only goes up to Bon Voyage, and the RULES ARE DIFFERENT! I'm constantly referring back to them, all over again. On the plus side, I tend to play with more stringent rules, due to thinking "Apartment Life," but then I remember that sims really can dance, after all, and it gives me so much joy!

Anyway, I don't think anyone has really gotten all the way through without making at least one mistake. Probably not even Pinstar.

In fact, I found a mod on Mod The Sims (I think) that had sets of game-mods to actually enforce the rules. Each career/restriction had its own little folder, so you could close the game, take out the folder for the restriction that had just been lifted, and then start again, with those restrictions no longer enforced by the game. I don't know HOW they did it, but it sure would make it easier to play, without having to constantly police yourself. If I dared... But then again, it's for the Windows rules, all the way to Apartment Life, not the Bon Voyage rules, which have slight (but important) differences. Maybe if I ever get Windows again.

Ani Mei, I need to read your apocalypse challenge, too.
nicholaplaysthesims
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Re: Mcloughlin Apocalypse - Updated [16/01/2015]

Hi ladies, thank you for all of your help! *hands out cookies*

Michelle: I think punishing myself is better, I've gotten so far already I'd hate to restart >.< I'm constantly checking all the rules but sometimes they just slip through the net. I'd be tempted to install that mod if I was playing the full ruleset.

And finally:

Chapter five!

Five

Return to “Sims 2 Completed Stories”