Beck to Basic! Legacy - 9/10/14 [DEAD]

Forum rules
If you wish to have your legacy moved back to the active forums, please report the thread and specify which forum it should be returned.
Iya

Post Counts

Beck to Basic! Legacy - 9/10/14 [DEAD]

Post by Iya »

BECK TO BASIC! LEGACY
Just another legacy where Maxis contents must be revered and sims must ventures into the world of the unknown.

Readers are encourage to get involve! See mini-challenges. :goodvibes:

Background & Restrictions:
Spoiler:
This is just a basic legacy that follows only one guideline: Maxis contents only! Or rather only the Maxis objects available from all the expansions. The only exceptions are custom hair, clothes, genetics, makeup and accessories for sim’s aesthetics. For build mode, only custom wall, floors, and roofs are allowed since they don’t affect the game in any way. Recolors of Maxis’ objects and builds are allowed. This only applies to the home lot. Sim may use CC objects already existed on community lots.

Ever since playing TS2 those many wonderful years ago, I had always used custom contents because they’re more appealing to me. Most players have no problems playing the original contents but I’ve found out over the years how difficult it was for myself.

This is especially true for toddler objects because there’s so many helpful contents out there to make life a little easier for me and my sims. I.e. toddler blanket, toddler bed, etc. Whenever I see a lot with Maxis contents (MCs), I tend to remove them and add CCs instead. Whenever I try to play with strictly MCs contents, I easily slip up and ended up using CCs instead.

So this legacy is a challenge to test my resolve and willpower to resist CCs (not that it’s really working with all the mods and aesthetic contents I allow for my sims, lol) and maybe discover fun and interesting things I never knew about Maxis contents, if there is any. :D I also want to play with contents that I knew about but never tried. I.e. the Cowplant and career rewards. Please don’t be shocked. :oops: :cover: :rotfl:

So, as readers, I highly encourage you to recommend things to try in the legacy that you want to see me try. And trust me, there’s A LOT of things I have never tried. It is disgusting actually, now that I think of it. I’ve been playing for over a decade and yet this game is still new to me. In fact, it’s only recently (Lovesworth’s Legacy) that I started playing with witches.

The scoring system follows the original core version of Pinstar’s Legacy Challenge. In addition to that, the following will also count.

- .5 point for every “illegal” CC on the lot
+ 1 point for every mini-challenge completed
+ 1 point for every heirs/heiresses/founder painting on the lot (Max at 10)

9-10-14: With the exception of Aya, every sims in this legacy must use Maxis’s content for clothes, hair, and makeup (basically their aesthetics). This does not include anything genetic (besides hair) because I can’t go in and fix those. Default replacement for hairs and clothes are acceptable as most are maxis match and I have not used them despite having installed them to make them more bearable to use.
Mini-Challenges:
Spoiler:
My goal is to try new things in the game that I've never touched or dared to try. Therefore, whenever someone recommend me something to try, it will be considered a challenge if I chose to try it. Trust me, there is A LOT of things I never tried, so please don't hesitate to comment. Chances are, I've never done it.

1ST Challenge: "So, my challenge to you is, have an artist at some point during your legacy, give the artist a theme, and then, once he/she reaches level 5 in creativity, make that sim paint nothing but custom paintings, that have something to do with that theme, from then on. Also, save at least 10 of those paintings until the end of the legacy, and keep a record of their starting value, vs. their final value, due to appreciation." - MichelleCYoung
UPDATES:

GENERATION ONE:
0.5 | 1.1 | 1.2 | 1.3 | 1.4 | 1.5

SCORES: *Updated 10-8-14*
(This is update at every new chapter, so don't look if you don't want to spoil yourself.)
Spoiler:
Total CCs Used: 2

+ 1 Extreme Start
-1.5 CCs used: 3 using CCs on comm. lots is allowed. Thanks for pointing that out Michelle :hug:
- 1 CCs used: 2

Total Score So Far: -1 Points
Last edited by Iya on September 3rd, 2017, 12:07 pm, edited 16 times in total.
ImageImage
Whispiee

Re: Beck to Basic! Legacy - 9/9/14

Post by Whispiee »

Was excited to read the prologue, but pictures aren't working? :(
Would love an update and know if this will be fixed. :)
Keika
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Keika »

I second Whispiee--I'd love to read this legacy, even tried it without the pictures, but couldn't get very far. :P I comment now, though, because I think it would be fun to see this taken one step further--not even using the aesthetic custom content, like hair and skin and such. Doing so would really give this legacy a Maxis flavor that not a lot of other legacies have, and would really drive home your idea of working with only Maxis-issued objects, since all we have to do is look at the pictures and see the stark Maxis. But hey, your legacy, your rules, so feel free to disregard this comment completely. ;D
Iya

Post Counts

Post by Iya »

:misspeak: Sorry about that guys, after I posted my update, I went and play around with the folders @ photobucket. I forgot that folder structure also affect the links. :banghead: The pictures should be working now. Thanks for letting me know, Whispiee & Keika.

Keika
Spoiler:
I've debated on the aesthetic issue for a while but at the end, decided against it. Except for the maxis objects, almost all Maxis clothes, hair, and makeup has been replaced with default replacements. And when I set up Rainshadow Falls (the hood) many CC contents used for other sims and objects. I didn't feel like sorting through my extremely large download folder and removing them because then my neighborhood would looked all bonked up and my townies would look weird in this update and something else in another. I like to see consistency through the hood, so I felt that since I'm already using CC to replace Maxis' aesthetics, I might as well allow usage of CC aesthetics as well.

However, having said that, I will make an exception. Except for Aya, the founder, every member of the family will have to to use Maxis's hair, clothes, and such, even if they're the default replacement version. I can't say much for skintone because it's a default replacement too and I'm not sure if Maxis match or not, and I'm already far into the game to start all over again. When I installed my default replacements most of the hairs and clothes are Maxis match, so at least I don't have to see those ugly hair cut throughout my legacy.

I'm willing to admit, though, that even with the default replacements, I still didn't touch the maxis aesthetic stuff in any of my games yet, so this is an opportunity to suffer through them? :hmm: Only goes to show how much I still don't like Maxis stuff. :rotfl:
ImageImage
Iya

Post Counts

Re: Beck to Basic! Legacy - 9/10/14

Post by Iya »

Chapter 1.1 updated.
ImageImage
Whispiee

Post by Whispiee »

Whoo! Glad they're fixed. :D

I loved the intro and can already tell I'll love this legacy.
Aya is lovely, and the outfit she arrived in is so cute!

You're a brave soul for trying to go without using CC ;)
Can't wait for more!

Edit - Just noticed 1.0 is out, the neighborhood is GORGEOUS.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Have you tried making custom paintings? I only just discovered them, myself. You take whatever .jpg file you want, and save it in the "Paintings" folder, under "Sims 2" (wherever that is saved on your computer, and then, sims with level 5 or more creativity can paint pictures of whatever you want.

So, my challenge to you is, have an artist at some point during your legacy, give the artist a theme, and then, once he/she reaches level 5 in creativity, make that sim paint nothing but custom paintings, that have something to do with that theme, from then on. Also, save at least 10 of those paintings until the end of the legacy, and keep a record of their starting value, vs. their final value, due to appreciation.

Google Images helps, or just pick a theme of pictures from your favorite fan site, or something like that. Maybe you could take screenshots of other players' stories, and turn those into the art, or take pics of Sims 3 or 4. All nature-pics, or maybe your sim really loves games, and paints those, instead. Your choice of theme.

Just remember the sizing - if the pictures are the right shape and size, already, that will be fine. But if not, your options are to 1) Fill the canvas - which will warp the shape, 2) crop - which will take a rectangle right out of the middle, no shifting it about, so aim carefully, or 3) crop - which will leave white bars at either top/bottom or side/side, or possibly both, depending on the shape and size of the original .jpg file. You can preview it, when you make the selection.

My very first custom painting that I made was a picture of Richard Armitage, in a suit, smiling. I made several of those to hang on the walls. LOL. Before my game exploded.

Since I am now playing with a completely vanilla game, no downloaded CC, mods, hacks, fixes (grrrr - miss my fixes) or anything, I'm looking forward to someone else doing a basic legacy, as well. Good luck with it!
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Keika wrote:I second Whispiee--I'd love to read this legacy, even tried it without the pictures, but couldn't get very far. :P I comment now, though, because I think it would be fun to see this taken one step further--not even using the aesthetic custom content, like hair and skin and such. Doing so would really give this legacy a Maxis flavor that not a lot of other legacies have, and would really drive home your idea of working with only Maxis-issued objects, since all we have to do is look at the pictures and see the stark Maxis. But hey, your legacy, your rules, so feel free to disregard this comment completely. ;D
That's what my new legacy will be, Keika. I had to completely reinstall, and have absolutely nothing but whatever came with the Super Collection. So, I'm really looking forward to seeing what Iya does with it, too! Playing without the benefit of mods, special objects, pose-boxes, weapons (hehehehehe), and the like will really affect how the story goes, in the long run.

Iya, any ETA on the next update?
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Oh, before you say that having the custom paintings in your game is not Maxis stuff, just remember that they already loaded up about a dozen or so .jpg files for you to use, just for that purpose. The objects would be created in-game, not downloaded and then loaded, as custom content, so I think it kind of counts.

Your call, of course.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Prologue
Spoiler:
Oh, she's very pretty! And her room is quite lovely, if small.

Wait, what? Screenshot program? What's that, and where can I get one? Will it run on a Mac?

Good idea with stuffing the inventory. Of course, that only works if she leaves with less than $20K. Above $20K, and she takes it all with her. But for less than $20K, you get the $20K handout, so I guess that evens out? But I'm a firm believer in taking everything she worked so hard to earn. Yep.
Chapter 1.0
Spoiler:
Well, Tyson is cute, and if your time continues when you're on community lots, I can see why you wouldn't want to spend too much time on them, husband-hunting. It is funny, though, since you don't like him.

Oh, that poor, lonely dog! Do you have the "pets eat roaches" mod?

Wait - CC.
Looking good so far. I must say, I like that house.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Good news, Iya! If your sim is eating at a restaurant, then Filet Mignon is on the Maxis menu. NOT custom content!

So, that's one less .5 point to take off, so I think you just broke even.

YAY!
Iya

Post Counts

Post by Iya »

@ whispiee
Spoiler:
Thanks! I wouldn't say that I'm a brave soul yet. If I'm looking at this techinically, I'm still allowing the usage of my mods, since don't see them as a CC even if they do quality as CC, if that makes any sense to you. :shifty: :duck: Notice how I didn't take away any point even though I'm using a lot of mods like ACR, the community time mod, my alternative lifespan, 8-days college, etc. if you're curious, take a look at my mod&hacks to see the complete listing, so no I'm not really playing a vanilla game. I'm more or less testing a new gameplay strategy into my sims which do requires mods.

I do plan on doing a vanilla one on my mac (when I get it and I'm don't want to get into the hassle to uninstalling this one from my window) with the Super Collection where the only CC allowed, Mod or CCs (maybe face template will be an exception?), will be the ones listed under the "Must-Haves" and "Aging Mods" of my mod list. But that's in a distance future and i want to see how it goes with this one first. I'm already having problems resisting CCs and I'm just starting, :rotfl: . The though of a vanilla game to me? Hmm... vanilla game = :banghead: + :mutter: + :banghead: + :banghead:+ :diablo: + :cryingeyes: The thought is just plain terrifying. So for now, I'll take one small step at a time. :D
@MichelleCYoung
Spoiler:
I accept your challenge! :bounce: Since Aya has sufficient creativity skills, she'll be perfect for it! Actually, I knew about this long ago and had done so many times. But then I learned a little about recoloring pcitures in PSP and SimPE and I started doing that. But yay! this will be fun and engaging. Hmm...what theme shall it be? :hmm: Got it! For theme, i'm doing all the covers to my top favorite romance novels. Why? Well, Aya is modeled after myself in this legacy so like me, she's a romantic at heart and a literature hobbyist, so it'll make sense.

P.S. There's a starting value and final value? :eek:
:duh: That goes to show you how little I know about this game. :oops:
Spoiler:
lol, i'll try to update at least once a week. this one will be update tonight or tomorrow. I admit, I'm enjoying the Beck's more than my Lovesworth's legacy.
Spoiler:
Prologue: I never knew that. I always thought that no matter how much you make, it'll still disappears because of the 20k handouts. So this means that if she makes 20k, then when she leaves, she gets her 20k + the 20k handout? That will be cool! Now I'll be making my legacy founder work even harder on uni lots, :haha: .

Chapter 1.0: Tyson is cute. I just don't like his personally on campus. He ignored her every. freaking. time. she tried to have an interaction with him (autonomous or not). I was so annoyed. I also feel bad for her because who wouldn't be when they're being ignored by their crush?

Oh well, at least it's Aya who'll be dealing with him. Oh wait, I have to too if he marries into the legacy. :banghead:

I love Atlas so far. He's so cute and sweet.

Yes, I do have the "Cats Hunt Roaches" mod, but I don't think there's one for dogs. i don't consider Mod a CC for this challenge. But then again I don't think I ever think of it as CCs either, if that makes any sense. While a mod is technically a CC, I see them as two different things, mods modifies gameplay while the CCs are aethestics objects. So far what's illegacl in my game are custom objects, food, and things that are not default contents. But most of my default replacements are clothes and hair so you'll be seeing lots of those. But for the sake of this game, mods and CCs are different.
Last edited by Iya on September 15th, 2014, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Iya

Post Counts

Post by Iya »

MichelleCYoung wrote:Good news, Iya! If your sim is eating at a restaurant, then Filet Mignon is on the Maxis menu. NOT custom content!

So, that's one less .5 point to take off, so I think you just broke even.

YAY!
OMG! thanks for pointing that out. I didn't even realized that. :duh:

:rotfl: This is why I love posting my legacy, I get readers who notices things that I don't. :haha:

oh! I forgot. Screen programs are software we use to take caps of our screenshots of our game. usually works by keeping it running in the background of our game and when we want to take a picture of from the game, we press a certain key (or combo of keys) and it will take the picture and store it into a folder that we set up. it's very nice and ensure that our screenshots are high quality, which makes it easier to edit in PSP. The screenshot program I use to take my screenshots is Gadwin Printscreen. It's free and very useful for running in the background. I use version 4.0 or something around that (i'll check if you want me to). The later version have problems with TS2 and wouldn't recognize the key you click. I'm not sure about Mac since I haven't gotten my MacAir yet, but I'm sure if you check Google, you'll get something similar.
ImageImage
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Thanks, Iya! I'll look into that kind of program, although my Mac is old, and iffy. I don't even have a paint program. I used to have some good stuff on here, but in my "upgrade," they became unusable! One program, I had for a whole week, before he upgrade, and that was $50 down the drain! So upsetting. And I have several loaded applications that won't work on my computer, at all. Bleh.

On the 20K handout after college - you get the handout if you have LESS than 20K. If you have 20K or above, you just take what you have, no extra handout.

I thought I read that the cats kill roaches also allowed both cats and dogs to EAT the roaches, although dogs still can't kill them, which makes no sense to me, but whatever, I'm not the modder.

I only noticed the Filet Mignon as base game because I have no CC AT ALL. And I sent my sim to a restaurant, looked at the menu choices, and said, waitaminute! HEEY! Filet Mignon! I'll probably notice a lot, as time goes by, so if you wonder if something is CC, just ask. If I can find it in my game, then it's not.

Be warned - when you move to the Mac and the Super Collection, you'll probably find yourself reallllllyyyyyy missing both Freetime and Apartment Life, depending on your play style. Do you like your toddlers to socialize with each other as they use the play table? POOF! Gone! Do you like the Freetime skills, like Lifetime Happiness, Parenting, Fire Safety, etc.? POOF! Gone! Do you like Lifetime Happiness rewards, like the needs rewards, or the Grandma's Comfort Soup, or those lovely-lovely work rewards like 80% chance on the chance cards? POOF! Do you like witches? MAAAN, I LOVE witches, and they're GONE!!!! Or the careers? Dance? Nope. Wah.

I am really hoping to get a Windows computer sometime, so that I can get my whole game back! I had it, but my Windows XP computer, on which I had lots of stuff, just completely and totally, irrevocably died. My IT guy said he might be able to get the files off (he still hasn't managed it), but getting it running again? NOPE. And the more I play on the Mac, the more I miss of Freetime and Apartment Life. And that's not even touching on the cool stuff packs I can't have, either.

So, I suggest that when you get your Mac, you also KEEP your Windows PC, if only to play the Sims on. Just sayin'. And good luck with that. I hope you get a really good computer.
Iya

Post Counts

Post by Iya »

@MichelleCYoung
Spoiler:
Wow, there's a big update on Mac that crash all software? Hmm... That's making me apprehensive now. It's very frustrating to have my hard earn money do down the drain like that.

Thanks for letting me know. I've never known that since I always thought the game will just give the 20k instead. But I'm still use the method since the more, the better right?

Actually I took the Filet Mignon off for a different reason, whether it's Maxis or not. One of my rule is that CCs ARE allowed on community lot since they already exsit there. lol. Thanks. Don't worry, I'll definitely be going to you to find out if something's Maxis or not.

As for my Mac and Windows, no I'm not planning to get rid of my Window. EVER. :haha: I loved it too much and I gigged just so I can play TS2 without a problem. The MacAir is actually a laptop I plan to get for the purpose of the classes I'm taking in college. That's why I though to just play a vanilla version of TS2 on it. But WHAT?! Why was Freetime and Apartment Life wasn't included? :misspeak: I have never played without it and if what you've mentioned is true, then there goes most of my fun for this game. Now I might go with a Window LP after all. :hmm:
ImageImage
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Spoiler:
Well, it's not that an update broke the Mac. It's that the older versions of Mac's operating system used something called Power PC, and the new ones don't, and there are old programs that ran fine on the old Macs, but will not run on the new Macs. I don't understand it all. That's why I call my IT guy, you know? But, yeah, just like those lovely old games I used to play on Windows 95, and can't run them on the new Windows, there are old programs I can't run on my new Mac. Bleh.

As for why there is no Freetime or Apartment Life for Mac, I have no idea. They simply STOPPED making the games available on the Mac, and they have no intention of ever converting them. Period. They have spoken. So, no Free Time. No Apartment Life, even if you buy the disks. They won't work. Also, about six of the stuff packs, including Ikea, which is a pity, because I really liked that stuff pack.

Mac does have its advantages, though. It's generally more stable. However, if I were you, I would definitely consult with a computer guru before making a final decision on a laptop.
Iya

Post Counts

Post by Iya »

i don't know about Mac, so I can't help you out there. But for Window's games, you should still be able to use. There's something called Compatibility Mode you can set up on the game's property so that everytime you run the game, it will use the service pack from the Windows it is compatible with. So if your game works with Windows 95, there's a compatibility for that. In fact, you can do it will all programs on Windows. I still play some very old games from Windows 95/2000 on my Windows 7. Works like a charm. in fact, it runs even better than ever before.

As for FT and AL, I looked it up and found out the same thing, that EA just didn't make them for MAC. it's upsetting because they're my two favorite packs to if all the the features you listed are from them. Anyway, I spoke to my friend, who's an experience Mac user, and he told me that I can also get Ubunto or something like that so that I can play any windows games on a Mac. What it does is run Windows on your Mac so you can have both computer systems running. He says he plans to get it soon so he can play his TS2 on it. I'm gonna do some research on it because I have read from other players' blog that this is possible. So if that's true, then I will be able to install the Ultimate Collection.

I've always known the capabilities of a Mac because it's very useful for graphic designer like myself but it's always out of my price range. Windows has always been my true love and I consider myself somewhat of an expert when it comes to Windows since I tuneup and upgrade my computer on my own without any problems for years. Again, Google has been my best friend and I learned so much from it. I can't wait for the Mac though because now I'm treading new grounds. It's gonna be my college computer so I don't expect much out it. Maybe, except to run a Window emulator so that I can play the Ultimate Collection. :D
ImageImage
Iya

Post Counts

Post by Iya »

Chapter 1.1 is added. Enjoy! :wave:
ImageImage
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Windows emulator - well, WINE may be wonderful, but it WILL NOT run Sims 2 Ultimate collection on a Mac.

The virtual drives are great, though, if you can configure them to use the right drivers. I had a Windows XP drive. Sniff! I have no idea why it died. My IT guy has no idea why it died. Can't get it back. But, OH! How I loved it, when I had it.

Yeah, I have used compatibility mode on a few things, recently. I love if for Lords of the Realm II. Too bad I didn't know about it five moves ago, when I still had those old disks. Although, I'd have to transfer all the files from floppy disks to CDs. Heh. Now, I just save everything, and ask my IT guy about it.

My IT Guy - He's actually my nephew, but I call him my IT guy, because he's got the knack, and is really great with computers, and I'm so proud of him, and also sometimes people ask me about who they can get to help with theirs, so it's advertising. When he was in 4th grade, he fixed his teacher's computer, and over the summer, the school called, and asked him to work on all their computers! FOURTH GRADE! Yeah, he has the knack! He's gotten some real paid gigs fixing computers, and doing all that technical stuff.

He also has a very heavy schedule, though, so I have to wait until he can visit before I can get a new Windows drive on my computer. And then I feel guilty, because it's a visit, darn it! It should be fun, not work. Ah, the perils of having your adorable, beloved nephew as your IT guy. Especially now that he's a teenager, and there's so much to TALK about, and I'd rather do that than work on the computer.

But he's pretty amazing. He actually is trained to work on Macs. As in, he can crack them open and upgrade the hard drive, and may even get official work with them, once he's 18.

Can you tell that I'm proud of him?
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Also, I do love my Mac. If only everything were compatible... Ah, well. We'll get that Windows drive going again, or a new one, or something.

I love so many programs designed to run on Windows, but as for the computer, itself, I really do love my Mac, and you'll probably love yours, too.

EAxis of EAvil, on the other hand, seems to have some sort of vendetta against Macs. I mean, Bon Voyage would run on Macs. Why in the world did they simply STOP making the games available for Macs? It must be some sort of inter-company politics, or something. I mean, why cut off such a HUGE portion of your consumer base? I wonder just how much money they lost in sales, due to that?

Return to “Sims 2 Story Graveyard”