The Bradford Legacy - Updated December 26, 2016

All sims 2 stories go here.
Forum rules
When your story is completed, please send a PM to Blamsart letting her know the story has been completed. She will award the medal and move the story to the Completed section.
Please do not use the report function to report the completed stories any longer.

Stories that need to be moved to the Graveyard should still be reported as usual.
SilverBelle
United States of America

Re: The Bradford Legacy - Updated July 3, 2016

Post by SilverBelle »

Replies!

Faye Silver:
Spoiler:
Yeah, it’s hard to lose generation 6. I had so much fun with the Roaring 20s with them. I’m going to miss them.

Well, it’s a coincidence in the sense that I didn’t want to rename the shopping neighborhood in my game. It was sad to have the two of them go separate ways, but they really are different people. I imagine that eventually, Doug will find his way back to Simsfield.

Mary is interesting, that’s for sure. She has some characteristics of Jan, yes, but she’s not quite as blunt about it. I look forward to seeing what people think about her moving forward.

Yeah, James and Cindy’s life bars are way too full for my liking. I think my days with them are numbered. :(

Thanks for commenting!
Katrisims:
Spoiler:
Mary is interesting, to say the least. I have a rough idea of where I want to go with her, but I’ll have to wait and see how it ends up playing out. She does share some characteristics with Jan, but they aren’t exactly the same. We’ll just have to wait and see how it all goes.

I think “calculating” is a great way to describe how Mary is approaching her relationship with Steven. He does deserve more than that.

Poor Peggy indeed. Doug would try to sneak off, as he doesn’t like goodbyes.

James did have it tough. He lost his childhood friends one after the other. He and Cindy are very old, and I am going to miss them so much when they go.

It was a lovely wedding; I do like giving my Sims pretty weddings. As for the marriages, that will have to play out.

Doug is content, and I don’t think he’ll stay away from Simsfield forever. Peggy’s coming to terms with how things are and trying to make her own happy too. I can’t wait to get her married next chapter.

Yup, Nettie’s going from one extreme to the next. I think she’ll make a nice little hippie, and I’ll have her do some anti-war protesting. :)

Yup. Politics. Not exactly what I would think to put him in, but since Mary wants to be a Jackie Kennedy…

Gregory is too cute. I’m so psyched to have made it so far. I can’t believe that it’s that close to the end.

Thanks for commenting!
muleofthefoxxes

Post by muleofthefoxxes »

Last I remember reading it was the roaring 20's or they were just about to go to war again... Where do you suggest I pick back up?
SilverBelle
United States of America

Post by SilverBelle »

muleofthefoxxes:

The Roaring 20s start with Chapter 21, and the World War II era picks up with Chapter 27. You could start with either chapter, depending on what you wan to do.
muleofthefoxxes

Post by muleofthefoxxes »

Will the internet let me post this time? >_>

I think I'll start with chapter 21. Once my internet starts behaving. Because what I remember of them was really fun, and I'm pretty sure that World War 2 was only being talked about last I read. So some back reading wouldn't hurt. :)
SilverBelle
United States of America

Re: The Bradford Legacy - Updated December 26, 2016

Post by SilverBelle »

Greetings! Bumping for an update, as Chapter 34 is now completed, and can be read here.
katrisims
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob
Finland

Achievements / Awards

Completed Challenges

Seasonal Events

Winners Choice

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by katrisims »

Hooray for a new chapter!
Spoiler:
Oh, poor James. It must be a terribly hard time for him. :(

Good to see Peggy happy. Although it does sting a bit that she hasn't heard from Doug. I hope he's doing alright, anyway!

I'm still kind of puzzled about Mary and the whole situation. She doesn't seem to be sinister as such, but still, she's acting manipulative. I'm glad the rest of the family is trying to be as supportive of Steven as they can, but it all does make me wonder. I hope it stays that way, and doesn't become some crazy competition over him. It does look like Mary is making the family, except for her husband of course, dislike her little by little.

Ow, it hurts to see James go. And poor Cindy, for being left behind. At least there's a new little one for her to dote on. Welcome to the family, Nathan!

Oh dear, the hardships on Rosalie don't seem to be going away. She may not be the most likeable character, but right now I'm really feeling sorry for her.

Greggory is still a cutie as a kid!

Mary's scheme is working, it seems. And so far, Steven seems to be okay. I wonder, though, how he'll feel in the long run.

Hooray for little baby Andrea!

I'm glad Cindy told Alice. I'm not sure what she can do exactly, but at least it's off Cindy's chest. And maybe she can actually do something, at the right time.

Sigh, goodbye, Cindy. It's hard to see her go, but at least she and James are together now. And now it's time for the next generation. Looking forward to seeing where life goes for them!
Lovely update, as always! :applause:
SilverBelle
United States of America

Post by SilverBelle »

Reply!

katrisims:
Spoiler:
I always hate the part of the rotation when the elders start to go. Because of how I play, the main characters almost always are the last to go.

Peggy is happy, though she would be happier if she knew that Doug was okay.

Mary’s a bit of an enigma. She’s not sinister, no, but she’s not entirely innocent either. The rest of the family does understand that the best thing that they can do is support Steven. It does look like the family is slowly turning against her, yes.

I hate losing the old generation. James has been around forever, it seems (and I just looked, and the chapter where James was born was published in February 2011!!!!!). There’s nothing worse than one of a power couple being left behind. But Yes, Cindy does like her great-grandchildren.

Yeah, Rosalie’s life did not turn out as expected. She’s not always likable, but she deserves some sympathy.

Greggory is freaking adorable! I can’t wait to see how he grows up.

Yup, Mary’s influencing Steven to do what she wants. So far he’s okay. We’ll just have to wait and see how long it stays that way.

I’m glad I got a girl. I think that’s probably enough kids for Steven and Mary, unless ACR decides otherwise.

Cindy had to tell Alice; the two of them got very close during the war. And Alice has a lot of Mama Bear in her. Mary better watch out.

Yeah, it was sad to say goodbye to Cindy, but she’s with James now and I can’t imagine the two of them apart. I can’t believe Generation 9 is here, and on the verge of producing generation 10!

Thanks for commenting!
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

I just started reading this, and I had to take a break after Chapter 6 to go to YouTube and hear ALL the versions of
Spoiler:
"One Wore Blue and One Wore Gray" and cry. And cry some more. :cryingeyes:

And then I thought, "You know? Statistically, at least one of those boys in blue should have died, too." And then cry some more, and then be glad that none of YOUR boys in blue did, and then I just had to sit back in a bit of awe at how you managed to write all that history with the sims, and make it just so real, all while keeping to "sims legacy" and yeah. I love how you got the humanity of it all, as well as the fact that some Northerners did, indeed, support States Rights, and fight for the South, while some Southerners actually wound up fighting for the North, and there was family fall-out on both sides, and it was all such a fuster-cluck. I'm blown away. This is way beyond a basic legacy, and I'm just so caught up and amazed and inspired. But I'm also caught up and can't pull myself away to actually USE that inspiration, so... :hissyfit: :popeye: :toast:
Gotta start Chapter 7, now.
Spoiler:
HOLY CATS! What timing! WAAAAHHHHH!!! I will sorely miss Elias, and now what will happen with the quest to find Patrick? I just want someone to spot him in the street, yell out, "PATRICK!" and tackle-hug him, while weeping hysterically and laughing morosely for all the time they lost together.
OK, reading some more now.
Spoiler:
HOLY CATS! AGAIN!

Yowzers!

The drama is a mile a minute in this generation, isn't it?

OK, deep breaths... :chill: ... No way am I going to be able to sleep tonight. I'll just go nocturnal again, and if I stay awake long enough, I can do tomorrow's shopping before I bed down for the day...
:popeye:
Spoiler:
OK, two days of binge-reading later, and I had to stop commenting as I go, but now I just *have* to.

HOW DARE VIOLA TREAT HER OWN NEPHEW THE WAY MELANIE TREATED HER! And why hasn't Melanie, or Sterling, or Jefferson CALLED her on it? At least Melanie had an ACTUAL misdeed on Jefferson's part to hurt about. Viola is blaming James simply for being present while a stranger attacked. It. Is. HEINOUS! I wish Sterling and Melanie would pack her bags and send HER off to Sarsimsota for a few decades. ARGLEBARGLEFLERGLEFRITZ!

I don't know if I'll be able to forgive Viola for her sheer hypocrisy. It really rankles me, for some reason.
Please note: The mark of a good writer is that the readers become that agitated about the characters you've created.

Also: :censored: :diablo: :thdown: :splat: :fbomb: and :pan:

OK, reading some more, now, and I hope I read something that cheers me up, because DANG, WOMAN!

This is the third time I've actually stopped reading the very same chapter, just to come back and add something here.
Spoiler:
She actually upsets me more than Matthew or Jan. Yes. More than Matthew AND Jan. I just... I can't even with Viola right now. And Cyrus isn't much better. Grow a backbone, man!
FOUR!
Spoiler:
EVEN HER OWN PARENTS!!!! Melanie was right. She really IS a hussy. And her husband is a :censored: coward for not telling her so. I know he's been shot, but gee, whiz, he's been out of the hospital long enough to recover, and he NEEDS to step up and set that :censored: :censored: :censored: straight!
OK. Ok. Deeeeep breaths. :chill: Happy place. Happy place. Haaaaaaappy place.

Nope. Gotta read some more, and see what happens next. Gaah.
Spoiler:
HOORAY STERLING! Although if anyone winds up sleeping on the sofa, it ought to be that selfish :censored:, Viola. No, I do not forgive her, yet. She has some serious apologizing to do. But, YAAAY, Spencer! I always knew I liked him for a reason.
What happens next?
Spoiler:
HOOORAAAAAYYYYY, MELANIE!!! :highfive: :celebration: :hug: :applause: :thup: Melanie rocks!
OK, if things calm down, it may be a bit before more comments. I need to stop and breathe for a while, after all. :faint:
Spoiler:
Awwww... After all the stuff that happened in the previous chapter or two, I will really miss Melanie. Poor George!
Just finished Chapter 28, and goldangit, woman, stop making me cry! My T-shirt is soaked and my chest is chilly.

Awww, gee whiz! I've been saying that over and over for the last several chapters, and now I finished the last chapter, and awww, gee whiz, I have to wait for an update.
Spoiler:
I did think that, with the first really dark-skinned sim marrying in, you were going to do something about the Civil Rights movement, but then again, you had said you were moving away from historical plotting, and into more observational play. I'm sure it would have been just exhausting, anyway. Still, I'm glad to see more diversity. Yay!
I am very impressed with this! Three days of binge-reading, and doing nothing else but eating and sleeping, and now I really need a shower. :swoon:
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
SilverBelle
United States of America

Post by SilverBelle »

MichelleCYoung:

Wow. That is some dedication. I guess that I didn’t realize just how much has happened in my story until I read all your comments.
Spoiler:
In reality, yes, I should have had one of the boys in blue not come back. However, I didn’t have the guts to kill off two characters in such quick succession. As you see, it took me until the WWII era to kill two characters.

Yes, the whole Patrick drama. I had almost forgotten about that since I let his family line die out a few generations ago. It was nice to have him come back into the family fold and allow everyone that closure.

Viola has a temper (actually, most of the Bradfords do; it’s a handy way of interpreting 1 nice point IMO). She was irrational, yes, and she moved past it after getting a kick in the rear from Melanie.

Losing the elders is always so hard. I get so attached to my pixel people.

The WWII years were fun and challenging to write, and I’m glad you liked them.

I did have bigger plans for the Civil Rights movement, but I have been just too burned out on storytelling to be honest. If you’ve ever seen/heard of the movie Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner, that was what I had planned. I’m glad to see the increased diversity too. And Peggy and Bobby’s kiddos are too cute.

Thanks for the comment!
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Spoiler:
oh, yeah, I saw Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. It was great!

You know, the first celebrity crush I remember having was on a black man, Denny from Shanana. It wasn't because he was black, though. It was because he was AWESOME. And Potier? AWESOME. He'd be just as awesome if he were white, but he'd miss out on a lot of totally awesome parts (unless they whitewashed the parts, which could totally happen, but it would be so incredibly stupid to whitewash Guess Who's Coming To Dinner. Oh, wait. They did it with the races reversed, but I don't think that really counts. I mean, it's not like they cast a really light black man in the "white" part, right? Anyway... Have you seen "Lillies of the Field"? or "To Sir, With Love"? Seriously, when I wasn't crushing on Denny, I was crushing on him. And Legolas. And Sam. And the rat-faced spy from The Belgariad, whose name escapes me right now.

I do know, that back in the day when the Civil Rights fight was, shall we say, "fashionable among a certain subset of America's youth," there were white people who hooked up with black people first because of their color, and their personalities were secondary, and that's just not cool. But I think it still happens, sometimes.

I'm frustrated in Youngdale, because I just don't have enough diversity. It bothers me, because it just does not reflect real life, you know? I know people from a wide variety of ethnic, racial and social backgrounds. Yes, I know, I would have more if I hadn't killed off all the Townies and Downtownies first thing, but I was trying to minimize the amount of population, not the diversity of it. And many of my founding bachelors were by others. Clovis Badass was white because he was based on a Frankish king. And Groop the Meanderer is a spoof of Groo the Wanderer, who is swarthy, but still white, and making him black would have been offensive, too. I don't want to be one of those "but I meant well allies." Still, I can truthfully say that when my sims marry non-player sims, it's all about the chemistry, and appearance doesn't matter, so eventually, we'll have more diversity, I'm sure. Also, adoption is totally going to be a thing in Youngdale, so who knows what surprises we'll get from created children? I don't have any mods for more asian-looking sims (how sad that it needs a mod, right?), because literally, it reached the point where it took 3 hours to load, so I had to call a halt to all mods, no matter how much I may want them. I have to deal with what I have, so any created sims will be basic in-game skins, or maybe the Rock skin, or the Rainbow skin, but frankly, I'll probably get really tired of Rainbow skin soon enough.

Your couple are just so cute together, and I hope they don't have to deal with all the fetishism, as well as racism. I mean, if you do the history, then it's inevitable, but if you're stepping away from the work of making it historical, and just going for showing off your cool CC and decorative themes, then, yeah, I'd love to see them happy.

They are cute, and I look forward to seeing them grow up!

I wonder if anyone of this generation will equal James in my heart, though. He was my favorite. So sad to see him go.

Do you ever sim just for fun? I mean, not trying to tell a story or do a challenge? Do you ever write that up? I enjoy reading that kind of post, as well. I still learn things about game mechanics that way.

I once played a game, with just the base game, with the goal being to see just how long it would take for my homebody serial killer to invite over and kill every sim in the neighborhood. Note: You cannot kill the Repo Man or Social Worker. But if you have a big party, and invite over everyone you know, and then light fires in all the rooms, it will take so long for Death to go around collecting all their souls, that HE will catch fire, too! But he won't die. :SIGH: No Grim tombstone for my graveyard.

Seriously, though, murder-boy had to cheat and cheat and cheat to keep his moods up at night, and finally he had to retreat to an attic and yank out the stairs, because once you have twenty or more graves on a lot, there is NEVER a time when the only living sim on the lot is NOT being haunted. If I ever do it again, he's going to learn Magivistigium and have a Throne of Darkness, and live on an island, with all the graves on the other side of the water.

I wish that computer hadn't died. I only have one picture on Photobucket. Ah, well.
Good luck completing this legacy. So close!
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
hannahsim1999

Post by hannahsim1999 »

Will there ever be an update to this wonderful legacy? :O :cry:
SilverBelle
United States of America

Post by SilverBelle »

hannasim1999:

Funny you should ask. I booted up my game the other day after not playing for 6+ months (real life is a pain in the rear sometimes). I make no promises on when there might be another chapter, but if I can find my muse maybe by the end of the year.
hannahsim1999

Post by hannahsim1999 »

Awesome :D

Return to “Sims 2 Stories”