The Hollinter Legacy [Indefinite Hiatus]

Forum rules
If you wish to have your legacy moved back to the active forums, please report the thread and specify which forum it should be returned.
Heather
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Steam ID: spacedoggity
Origin ID: pixeldollhouse
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

The Hollinter Legacy [Indefinite Hiatus]

Post by Heather »

Long story short, I've decided to reboot my alphabetacy story into a legacy story, as I was having difficulty running the neighbourhood, and I wanted a fresh start on a shorter challenge. Reading An Astronomical Alphabetacy is not a requirement, as I have provided a brief explanation of the family history in the story, but it might be a good idea. Depends on how much of my awful writing from when I was 14/15 you can tolerate. :wink:

A full explanation for the reboot can be found here, and the official index for my old story can be found here. If you're having problems with slideshare, I've created a dropbox folder for all finished chapters here, and they can also be downloaded from simfileshare as well. I hope that anybody who decides to read the new story will enjoy it as much as I enjoyed creating it!

:!: Warnings: Swearing, and suggestive content in most chapters. Chapter-specific warnings can be found on each post. :!:

[hr]
Chapter List:
[spoiler]1.0 - Goodbye
1.1 - Stutter
1.2 - Bloom
1.3 - Happy
1.4 - Growing
1.5 - Teenagers
1.6 - Trouble (Part 1)
1.6 - Trouble (Part 2)
1.6 - Trouble (Part 3)[/spoiler]
[hr]
Additional Hollinter Stories:
[spoiler]Writing Contest Entries:
September
October
December

Drabbles:
Double Date
Botany Lesson[/spoiler]
[hr]
Golden Plumbbobs:
[spoiler]Image
Best Sims 2 Legacy
[hr]
Best Plot in a Sims 2 Legacy, Most Jealousy Inducing Graphics[/spoiler]
Last edited by Heather on November 28th, 2015, 5:32 pm, edited 7 times in total.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Re: The Hollinter Legacy [1.0: Goodbye - May 18th]

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Aaaaah! So much drama!

I have horrible premonitions that
Spoiler:
while Comet is away at SimState, the rest of the family will be destroyed by vengeful Tosha, or Pryxit or whoever, and he'll be ALL ALLLLOOOOOONNNEEEE!
Of course, drama like that makes for a good story, and I can't wait to read more.

Sorry if I'm a bit over-the-top. I'm on my pain pill, and have no self control. I quite enjoyed reading this, though. Lots of characters to keep straight, but they have some depth to them.
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Heather
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Heather »

Thanks for the comment, Michelle! I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter.
Spoiler:
There's a lot of characters mentioned in the first chapter that likely won't return, but hopefully it won't be too difficult to remember/keep straight the ones that will. Not going to say who, though. :wink:
Sam

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Sam »

I was so excited to see this :lol:
Spoiler:
I love what you've done in order to give yourself a fresh start! I know you said it feels like a cop out, but it reads really well, and I'm looking forward to see what Comet gets up to on his own - and how he'll cope with being a mute in a strange place.
So glad to see the Hollinters again! :D
Heather
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Heather »

Sam: I'm excited that you're excited!
Spoiler:
I'm so glad that there's still a few older readers around to see the comeback! I'm also really glad that you enjoyed it, and that it reads okay/doesn't feel like a cop-out. As much as I want this to be something that makes me happy, I'd like for it to make other people happy, too.

I'm looking forward to working with Comet's character in the upcoming chapters. I think isolating him will allow me to explore his mindset a little better than I would have if I continued writing the story the way I originally planned.
Heather
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Re: The Hollinter Legacy [1.1: Stutter - June 3rd]

Post by Heather »

The next update is out! Chapter-specific warnings have been posted on the LJ entry.
Sam

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Sam »

asdfghjkl!!
Spoiler:
I really like how you're writing Comet's mutism, very in depth, emotional & believable :) The cousins returning were a nice touch, though admittedly I haven't got the faintest idea who Charlotte's parents are (other than one being a Newson, ofc)

I like Jimmy Phoenix, but man he can be an ass sometimes. I think it's just in his nature, you know? I also enjoyed finding the other Sim State premades in the background of your pictures!

Gah, cliffhanger! Waiting (im)patiently for more :)
Little White Comet
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob
Steam ID: littlewhitecomet
Origin ID: LittleWhiteComet
Great Britain

Post Counts

Post by Little White Comet »

Spoiler:
Aww poor Comet. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be unable to communicate with someone, I'm glad that Jimmy thought to bring in his cousins though. Despite it not being obvious I bet Comet was happy to have them there, even if they tend to forget about him.
I hope everything turns out alright though, it wont do any good for the legacy to stop here would it?
Looking forward to your next update!
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

Spoiler:
Huh, I seem to recall that I did read the first incarnation of this, the name Bertia rang a bell. There are options for mutes to communicate, writing, getting a palm tablet that speaks for him, just type in what he wants to say and the tablet speaks for him. Would be good practice to get his WPM up huh? :D I keep forgetting how close you actually are to where I live, like a half hour away, neat isn't it? I'm in Oshawa here. Anyway, suspenseful collapse is suspenseful...looks like we have the next PurpleBunny writer here. :thup:
Heather
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Heather »

Sam:
Spoiler:
I'm glad it's convincing! honestly, I hadn't the faintest idea what I was doing when I decided that he was going to be mute. IIRC, I just thought it would be cool. So, I'm happy to hear I'm doing a decent job at writing a mute character.

Charlotte's moms are Cora (Liadell), and Ginger Newson. :) The alien skin kinda throws you off, so it's not very obvious.

I'm having fun coming up with a character for Jimmy. I definitely see him as the kind of guy who's friendly, but can be a total dick at times without trying to. I just kind of chose him at random out of the simbin, because Eric Swain looked too much like another sim I had. Also had fun making over the other characters so that I could throw them in the background. Maybe some day I'll put up a post with all of their new looks... :hmm:

Thanks for the comment! Happy to hear you're looking forward to the next update, though I'm not entirely sure when it be out! It is progressing well, I can tell you that.
Little White Comet:
Spoiler:
Oh yes, Comet's definitely happy to see his cousins again, he's just a little angsty at the moment. And unconscious.

Yep, it would be awful if the fun had to stop only two chapters in, now wouldn't it? I guess anything awful that happens in legacies is never super dramatic unless it's happening to a side character, because everybody knows that in order for the legacy to continue, some sort of miracle is going to happen. Still, they're fun to write, and they can definitely come back to cause problems later down the family line. :wink:

Thanks for the comment!
Ani-mei:
Spoiler:
I think I can recall you commenting on earlier chapters but my memory is not great. I remember like, 5 people for sure who read this. Either way, glad to see you're enjoying it now!

Oh, there are many ways for mute people to communicate, the difficulty is finding one that would be possible to stage in the sims. Honestly, if I knew sign language, and could convincingly make my sims look like they were using it, I would have probably gone that route with Comet instead. Since I can't, magic is the next best option. :wink:

Yeah, it's cool meeting another simmer from Ontario! Anyways, thanks for the compliment! It's really great hearing that people are enjoying my story, and that it could maybe be comparable to the writers I aspired to be like back when I was a young teen. :D
Bree

Post by Bree »

I'm enjoying this quite a lot! it's inspired me to get back into the Sims 2!
Heather
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Heather »

Bree: Thank you! I'm glad it's inspiring. :)
Heather
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Re: The Hollinter Legacy [1.2: Bloom - July 9th]

Post by Heather »

Update 1.2 is out! (Reposting this because I forgot to change the title of the topic, oops...) I'd also like to add that I wrote a short drabble about Comet set during the events of 1.1, and it can be read here. :)
nox

Post by nox »

Spoiler:
I love this, it's so good! It must take a while to take all the photos and write it all up. :applause: I love Jimmy, he's so funny :rotfl: do you think you'll keep writing about him or not? I would love to see how he gets on in life :wink:
Sam

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Sam »

Drive by comment, as I have to go to work, but I absolutely loved it!

I'll try leave a more detailed comment soon! :)
Bree

Post by Bree »

I'm hooked :)
Heather
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Heather »

nox:
Spoiler:
Thank you! Setting up the staged images and writing for them definitely takes a good chunk of time, but I think I spend the most amount of time procrastinating on doing them...

I'm glad you like Jimmy! I picked him at random when I began the story, but he's grown on me. He will definitely be appearing in future chapters; though how often he will be featured I can't say for sure.
Sam: Thanks! I still appreciate hearing that people are enjoying the story, even if it's just in a short comment. :)

Bree: Glad to hear it!
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

Spoiler:
I know about procrastinating, I haven't had the motivation to update anything since I finished my WYD. But I think I might now though. Got a lot to do and things to write out. I sense a consequence of using a magic potion coming, magic always has consequences...nice update. :thup:
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

So, I just binge-read the whole thing. It's been so long since I read the first chapter, I forgot the whole set-up.

This was really good! The story really pulled me in, and I liked the characters very much. Your pictures are great, too. Not just the poses, but the lots you've built and decorated look wonderful, as well.

I think this is a great way to re-boot a legacy, too. Are you still going to go for 26 generations, alphabetical, again?
Spoiler:
Ani-Mei's right, though. Magic ALWAYS has consequences. The true proficients in magic can anticipate the consequences, and plan for them, thus they can use magic without WORRYING about the consequences, because they know the price, and choose exactly how to pay it.

Jimmy and his girlfriend: I totally picture their kids marrying into the Hollinter family soon, and Comet and Jimmy becoming close again, as in-laws.
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Heather
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Heather »

Ani-mei:
Spoiler:
It's not even that I lack the motivation to work on this (most of the time), I just get distracted by other things easily. The main delay for this chapter was the fact that I started binge watching Parks and Rec, and didn't want to stop. :lol:

I think the outcome of Comet (& Celia) experimenting with magic will be different than what people are expecting, but I'm hoping the twist will be enjoyable!
Michelle:
Spoiler:
Thank you! I feel like the pictures and sets are what I spend the most time on, but I'm glad to hear that you like the storytelling and characters as well.

I've decided that neither my computer or I can handle 26 generations, so I'm cutting it down to ten. The naming scheme is still all things related to astronomy, but it won't be alphabetical anymore. Which is nice, because then I can pick and choose names I truly like, instead of settling for some because it has to start with a certain letter. /rambling

Like I said to Ani-mei, the use of untrained magic will result in something happening, but it likely won't be what everyone expects. I've done two similar storylines in the past that could be/were outcomes of fiddling with magic potions (the most obvious being Comet was born mute), and I'd like to try going a different route this time. :)

Return to “Sims 2 Story Graveyard”