Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Re: SimNaNoWriMo 2017 General Chat

Post by Ani-Mei »

The 10 updates is interesting, I can check the forum for last year to see if this came up before. Maybe there's something there we missed?
Livvielove
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam ID: Aradyn
Origin ID: LivvieLoveSims

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by Livvielove »

I remember I asked one of the mods about counting longer chapters as more than one update, and she said that idea sounded good but it never got implemented into the *actual* thing, which is why I wanted to bring it up before the start of the challenge to see if we could hammer out some pretty solid guidelines! Really though, I'd love to help out with monitoring the threads/etc. I'm on here pretty frequently so if there's anything I can do to help out, please just let me know! I could help with the Sign-Up thread or monitoring the Update Counts when the time comes! I have extra time on my hands cause I'm not in school right now (I don't start until spring semester after January).

I'd certainly hate for you to feel overwhelmed and/or doing this on your own, this is one of my favorite events!
Jesslb429
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob
Location: Miles past sanity and a few feet from full blown loon
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Jesslb429 »

First off, I'm sorry for posting and deleting before. It was rude and I was just kinda sticking my nose where it didn't belong.

I like Livvie idea so far, but there would need a bit of polish. Posts for post count would still need to meet certain requirements and in the spirit of a month long event if there was a screenshot/word count, there would need to be some consideration made for what kind of limits do we want to set and if someone is going that route, should considerations be made to track their progress along with the others? As well, we would need to make sure that those who post updates still feel as if the same spirit and consideration is being made, so all parties can stay happy. And since there is a preestablished set for gold, silver and bronze medal for updates. We would need to set goals for word/picture counters to meet those as well.

Ani-me, if you like, I can spend the next day or two looking over last year's forum posts and see if there is anything there to help. Let me know how I can help. Again sorry for shoving my nose in before. I just want everyone to have fun with it.
ImageImageImageImageImage
26 Little Failures The Zany Zanes: An OWBC{Completed}
"Vastly complex while still being a little stupid"
Mpart

Post Counts

Post by Mpart »

I'm not exactly sure all I could do but I would be more than happy to help create maybe a general rule guideline thread and perhaps trying to address any questions if needed? I do agree with Jesselb429 is right and Livvielove's idea is an excellent base. Perhaps we could start a poll and see what those participating in it would like to see the guidelines be when counting in word count, pictures, ect?
Last edited by Mpart on August 6th, 2017, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
"I saved their asses from a dragon, but nooo, the bucket was over the line."
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

@Livie:

I just looked at your posts in the questions thread from last year, Heather's reply to it was as follows:
Heather wrote:^ I'll accept that! I've actually been struggling to get my own chapter cut down neatly into 10 equal parts with 'ends', so I understand wanting to keep everything in one nice chapter, without leaving it looking unfinished between updates. :)

Maybe just provide a final word/picture count when you post your chapter, so that we know how many 'updates' to count it as. :grin:
And since we still have three weeks until September I think there's plenty of time to add this to the rules for longer chapters.

It does need a rules thread for sure, so maybe the ones who've asked about them in here could create their own list of rules and we can go through them and make a post that would answer all the questions about the rules.
Livvielove
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by Livvielove »

Awesome!

What else can I do to help? Put me to work! :yes: ^^

Saw the rules part, like I said I'm more than happy to compile a list of rules and start a thread! I just don't want to step on your toes to do so - but if you'd like I could start on that now!
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

I can add them in a post say we have levels like the medals, levels that cover all the aspects of writing from short little updates, to average length, and longer ones. There is some way to work the lengths into the update requirements, and it would help a lot if you and MPart could help me figure that out.
Mpart

Post Counts

Post by Mpart »

So perhaps something like this?
(Though these numbers are just a way to show this, not ones set in stone at all)

Level 1: Bronze Medal

3,000 words and/or 30 pictures.

Level 2: Silver Medal

6,000 words and/or 60 pictures.

Level 3: Golden Medal

9,000 words and/or 90 pictures.
ImageImage
Livvielove
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by Livvielove »

Mpart wrote:So perhaps something like this?
(Though these numbers are just a way to show this, not ones set in stone at all)

Level 1: Bronze Medal

3,000 words and/or 30 pictures.

Level 2: Silver Medal

6,000 words and/or 60 pictures.

Level 3: Golden Medal

9,000 words and/or 90 pictures.
For actual numbers, I would aim more like

Bronze:
1-5,000 words (total) OR 1-100 pictures (total) OR 1-4 Chapter "Updates"

Silver:
5,001-10,000 words (total) OR 101-199 pictures (total) OR 5-7 Chapter "Updates"

Gold:
10,000 words+ (total) OR 200+pictures (total) OR 7-10 Chapter "Updates"

and because we're a lovely, small forum, I'm willing to go by honor system when people report how many words/screenshots they use (though if they provide links to their updates we could quickly verify if they're way off-base should there be any scandals!)

These are the numbers I would personally run with, as they run a little closer to the 20 pictures/slides and 1000 words per update requirement we had last year. Any thoughts?
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

I've got the tab open for last year's questions about picture and word counts for a simmer who is more about taking pictures and less captioning and the mods agreed on a 10 picture update with 500 words as an alternate goal for the medals. To incorporate everyone's styles of writing I would say that in the rules post under the medal requirements, we list both a minimum goal and an maximum goal for the updates. For example, using Mpart's suggestion: a minimum goal is 10 pictures, 500 words and the maximum goal is 30 pictures and 3000 words. And in between the high and low numbers is also acceptable. So anywhere from 10-30 slides and 500-3000 words It gives a lot of leeway for everyone to find their niche for update lengths as long as the number of updates remains the same for the medal levels. This would mean that we would need to come up with a minimum and maximum for Silver and Gold as well, so the question is what is an acceptable minimum for Silver and Gold if we use the numbers Mpart listed as the max?
Livvielove
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by Livvielove »

I'm confused by this minimum/maximum - sorry it's just not been my day so following along is a little trickier.

I was thinking for Bronze and Silver there could be a "min/max" so to speak but for Gold I think it should be anything above a certain point.

Seeing as, at the end of this challenge, originally it was 10 (or more) updates got you gold, so It's more about finding the minimum to qualify for bronze/silver/gold for the other qualifications (be it total number of pictures or total number of words written that month).
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

So having a min/max word count for Bronze and Silver levels but only a minimum word count for Gold? In theory that would work, but for those simmers who don't write a lot in a chapter making a minimum word count for Gold would be quite restrictive. It would really be a struggle and frustrating for them when it's meant to be fun and lighthearted, we don't want that to turn people off.
Livvielove
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by Livvielove »

I apologize if this sounds brash, but what I'm trying to say is make it an either-or.

EITHER you hit said word count, OR you do 10 updates (using the minimum 10 pictures/500 words), OR you hit the picture count requirement for gold.

Not everyone needs to have hit X amount of words... but that it's an option for people like me who can't hit 10 updates, but can easily hit 10000 words+/200+ pictures.
Mpart

Post Counts

Post by Mpart »

I'm a wee bit confused. Would a maximum mean that there was only a certain number of words/pictures in an update that could count towards the challenge? We would run into the same problem Livvielove originally brought up before.

Edit: Boolprop seems to be lagging a bit on my end so I can't see all of the new messages. Just saw Livvielove's.
ImageImage
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

Yes, that could work. If they write less and take more pictures, having 10 pictures and 500 words as an update would be manageable for them. Incorporating what you suggested into the rules would satisfy everyone. Now the only thing left to do is word it so everyone can understand it...

i.e:

Bronze Level

10-30 pictures
500-3000 Word count

Silver Level

10-30 pictures
500-4500 Word count

Gold Level

10-30 pictures
500-5500 Word count

Or does that sound too unobtainable still? Should the low number be 500 for all three levels?
Livvielove
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by Livvielove »

See, to me those actually seem too low... but are we talking on a PER UPDATE basis? Or are we talking for the duration of the month?
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

Per update basis. If you want to include your sum total for the WHOLE month afterwards then that could be an option as well.
Livvielove
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by Livvielove »

Oh I was thinking just doing the word/picture count on a total monthly rather than a per-update. We could do a "minimum" required to BE an update but then no maximum.
That way someone can choose if they want to just meet the minimum requirements (10 pictures/500 words x10, totalling 100 pictures and 5000 words) in 10 updates OR they could do FEWER "chapter" updates and still qualify for silver/gold because they met the word/picture count requirement.

Like to me it would make it fair for someone like me to do my 5 updates totalling 25k words and 400 pictures to earn a gold medal AS WELL as someone who did 10 updates of 10 pictures/500 words each (at least). Does that make sense?
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

I'd have to run it by one of the mods who handled last year's events like Heather or Abby. I'll PM them with suggestions in my previous reply as well as the ones in your previous reply and maybe they can come up with something (assuming they check their PM's).
Taube
Origin ID: 22Taube

Completed Challenges

Post Counts

Post by Taube »

It sounds like this is getting handled, but I just wanted to chime in to say that I would love something that would allow for longer updates to count for more than one update or to have an option to base it on total pictures or words in the month. I didn't participate last year for two reasons: 1) I do actual NaNo in a major way, so October was prime planning time that I couldn't afford (luckily September is much better) and 2) My updates usually run about 70-100 pictures and 3000-5000 words depending on how chatty I'm feeling that day, and I didn't want to artificially chop them up. I felt like that would be annoying for me and any readers. So I didn't participate. Maybe if the levels were more accessible for different writing styles in some way, it would make it easier for longer-style writers to join in too. Just my two cents. :)

Return to “SimNaWriMo Archive”