The Sims 4 Prosperity Challenge

DionysusDreams

The Sims 4 Prosperity Challenge

Post by DionysusDreams »

Hey everyone! I started writing this up on Tumblr but decided to come over here and chat with people about it before posting it as there’s a few things I’m unsure about, specifically the scoring I need some help with. I’m looking for feedback and suggestions to improve this and I’ll be giving it a test-run shortly. Links to the original challenge can be found here and the TS3 adapted version here.

With there being no story progression to speak of in The Sims 4 I wanted to start a challenge that was more suited to how I play in The Sims 2 that relies on rotations and playing every family for the same amount of time. I already started my legacy challenge before I realised how bad the townie generation was and how I would have to change my playstyle a lot to fit in with this so I went looking for something else.

One of my favourite challenges from The Sims 2 is the Prosperity Challenge, which I thought could work quite well with The Sims 4. And so, I decided to read over and adapt the Prosperity challenge and fit it to TS4 as best I could. I couldn't find anything about anyone doing this already so I apologise if they have and I just haven't seen it heh. Here’s everything I came up with. Follow the roll guidelines any time you are asked to roll for something.

Starting Instructions;
Spoiler:
  • Step One: Rolling your number of families - Take a dice or visit a virtual dice website and roll it to determine how many families you’ll start off with. You need to have at least 2, so if you roll a 1 you need to reroll.
    Remember to keep a numbered list of all your families and sims from here onwards - this will be the order your play them in.
  • Step Two: Rolling your family sizes - For each family you rolled you now need to roll the dice again to determine how many sims will be in that family. There’s no minimum here, a single sim household is allowed
  • Step Three: Rolling your sims’ ages - Roll the dice for each sim in your families to determine the ages. If you get a family that doesn’t have at least 1 Young Adult, Adult or Elder then reroll the whole family.
  • Step Four: Rolling your sims’ genders - For each sim you need to roll the dice to find out their gender. Odd numbers for female and even numbers for male.
  • Step Five: Rolling your sims’ aspirations - This one gets a little complicated, follow the roll guidelines carefully. First you need to roll which Aspiration set the sim is in. Odd numbers are set one (Athletic, Deviance, Food, Knowledge and Nature), even numbers are set two (Creativity, Family, Fortune, Love and Popularity).
    After you get the set you need to roll again for the aspiration category (except athletic because it only has 1 option).
    Remember that children have different aspirations to all the other age groups, so make sure you follow the rolls for child aspirations and not adults.
  • Step Six: Rolling your sims’ traits - Traits can get a little bit complicated as well. First you need to roll for the category then the set (if there’s more than 1) and then the actual trait. Children have slightly different traits so roll the category and set the same as you would for an adult then follow the child traits roll guidelines.
    Reroll if you get a conflicting trait and roll as many times as you need for the age group of the sim.
  • Step Seven: Start a new game - After you've got your families planned out, it's time to start your game. You need to start a new save so in the top-right corner of the main menu screen, select the plus sign. This will take you to CAS where you can start making your families.
  • Step Eight: Make your sims! - You can go crazy here and make your sims look like whatever you want, use as much CC as you like. Go wild!
    Remember to edit your relationships - all sims have to be related, no roommates allowed.
  • Step Nine: Clear out your neighbourhood - Once your finished creating all of your families you need to clean out the neighbourhood. Get rid of all the sims that are moved in and demolish all the homes too if you want to build your own. It’s up to you if you want to get rid of the Not In World sims that are already there and add more using the gallery (NOT your own created in CAS. Preferably randomly chosen families, not looking at traits or aspirations) or just keep them as they are, though it is recommended to get new ones. Make sure you turn off aging and sims automatically moving into homes from the game options.
    To demolish homes that don't have any families in them you'll need to select a family and have them move into each empty home and select demolish home when the notification pops up. Immediately evict them after they move in. Repeat this for all homes that are unoccupied that you want demolished. Note that the homes probably won't update immediately in map view but they should be demolished.
  • Step Ten: Community Lots - You can have as many community lots as you like but you should have at least one. You can build your own, keep the ones that are already in the neighbourhood or download some from the gallery.
  • Step Eleven: Move your families in - Your families may move into any lot or home that they can afford. They can live in Maxis-made homes, gallery-downloaded homes or homes you’ve made yourself.
    Once your families are moved in they’re free to move around throughout the game though it is encouraged that they remain and expand.
    Get all of your families moved in but wait for their turn to build and furnish their homes.
  • Step Twelve: Play! - Start your rotation with the first family you rolled and play for a maximum of 7 sim days before moving onto the next family. You have to play each family for the same amount of time until the next rotation starts and you can then reset it.
    Every time a sim ages up and they have access to new traits or an aspiration you must follow the roll guidelines again.
    Remember to read the rules before you start!
Roll Guidelines (pretty long);
Spoiler:
  • 2 - Teen
  • 3 - Young Adult
  • 4 - Adult
  • 5 - Elder
  • 6 - Reroll
  • Male - 2 | 4 | 6
Aspiration: Determine Aspiration Set
  • Set One - 1 | 3 | 5
  • Set Two - 2 | 4 | 6
Aspiration: Set One
  • 1 - Athletic
  • 2 - Deviance
  • 3 - Food
  • 4 - Knowledge
  • 5 - Nature
  • 6 - Reroll
Aspiration: Set Two
  • 1 - Creativity
  • 2 - Family
  • 3 - Fortune
  • 4 - Love
  • 5 - Popularity
  • 6 - Reroll
Aspiration: Creative
  • Painter Extraordinaire: 1 | 4
  • Musical Genius: 2 | 5
  • Bestselling Author: 3 | 6
Aspiration: Deviance
  • Public Enemy: 1 | 3 | 5
  • Chief of Mischief: 2 | 4 | 6
Aspiration: Family
  • Successful Lineage: 1 | 3 | 5
  • Big Happy Family: 2 | 4 | 6
Aspiration: Food
  • Master Chef: 1 | 3 | 5
  • Master Mixologist: 2 | 4 | 6
Aspiration: Fortune
  • Fabulously Wealthy: 1 | 3 | 5
  • Mansion Baron: 2 | 4 | 6
Aspiration: Knowledge
  • Renaissance Sim: 1 | 4
  • Nerd Brain: 2 | 5
  • Computer Whiz: 3 | 6
Aspiration: Love
  • Hopeful Romantic: 1 | 3 | 5
  • Soulmate: 2 | 4 | 6
Aspiration: Nature
  • Freelance Botanist: 1 | 4
  • The Curator: 2 | 5
  • The Angling Ace: 3 | 6
Aspiration: Popularity
  • Joke Star: 1 | 4
  • Party Animal: 2 | 5
  • Friend to the World: 3 | 6
Aspiration: Child Aspiration
  1. Creativity
  2. Mental
  3. Motor
  4. Social
  5. Free Pick
  6. Reroll
Traits: Category
  1. Emotional
  2. Hobby
  3. Lifestyle
  4. Social
  5. Free Pick
  6. Reroll
Traits: Emotional Set One (Roll 1 | 3 | 5)
  1. Active
  2. Cheerful
  3. Creative
  4. Genius
  5. Gloomy
  6. Reroll
Traits: Emotional Set Two (Roll 2 | 4 | 6)
  1. Goofball
  2. Hot-headed
  3. Romantic
  4. Self-assured
  5. Free Pick
  6. Reroll
Traits: Hobby
  1. Art Lover
  2. Bookworm
  3. Foodie
  4. Geek
  5. Music Lover
  6. Perfectionist
Traits: Lifestyle Set One (Roll 1 | 3 | 5)
  1. Ambitious
  2. Childish
  3. Clumsy
  4. Glutton
  5. Insane
  6. Lazy
Traits: Lifestyle Set Two (Roll 2 | 4 | 6)
  1. Loves Outdoors
  2. Materialistic
  3. Neat
  4. Slob
  5. Snob
  6. Reroll
Traits: Social Set One (Roll 1 | 3 | 5)
  1. Bro
  2. Evil
  3. Family-oriented
  4. Good
  5. Hates Children
  6. Reroll
Traits: Social Set Two (Roll 2 | 4 | 6)
  1. Loner
  2. Mean
  3. Non-committal
  4. Outgoing
  5. Free Pick
  6. Reroll
Child Traits: Emotional Set One (Roll 1 | 3 | 5)
  1. Active
  2. Cheerful
  3. Creative
  4. Genius
  5. Free Pick
  6. Reroll
Child Traits: Emotional Set Two (Roll 2 | 4 | 6)
  1. Gloomy
  2. Goofball
  3. Hot-Headed
  4. Self-Assured
  5. Free Pick
  6. Reroll
Child Traits: Hobby
  1. Art Lover
  2. Bookworm
  3. Geek
  4. Music Lover
  5. Perfectionist
  6. Reroll
Child Traits: Lifestyle
  1. Glutton
  2. Insane
  3. Lazy
  4. Loves Outdoors
  5. Neat
  6. Slob
Child Traits: Social
  1. Evil
  2. Good
  3. Loner
  4. Mean
  5. Outgoing
  6. Reroll
Rules & Scoring;
Spoiler:
Rules
  • No cheats. No money cheats, no hacked items that change mood or game play. Entering advanced CAS is allowed only to change superficial things (for example, a skin overlay or tattoo).
  • No new CAS sims. From the moment you start the challenge, you are not allowed to add new CAS sims to the neighbourhood. The families must progress through natural birth, death, move-in, or marriage. If a sim moves out, their household is added to the bottom of the playlist. If all sims die, leaving a house empty, scratch that name off the list. If a family simply changes houses, they may keep their normal space in the playlist.
  • No intentional deaths. All deaths must be either natural or a true accident.
  • Challenge ends with the first 5th generation death. All CAS sims are first generation, regardless of what family members they have when they begin. A second generation sim MUST be born into the game, even if his sister is first generation due to the original roll of the dice.
  • Townies are welcome but not just for money. The townie/NPC must stay in the house until their next age transition unless they are moving out with an original family member. (example: The daughter in a family marries a townie while still living with her parents, then he and she move out to start their own family.)
  • Only traditional move-in allowed. You may not use the “combine household” feature to add families together. They must move in through traditional methods (move-in or marriage).
Neighbourhood Scoring
  • 1pt per sim in the game, including original CAS sims.
  • 1pt per each home in the neighbourhood that has held a single family for 3 generations or more.
  • 1pt per $100,000 net worth neighbourhood-wide (add all family’s net worth together) Round up. Net worth is not cash - it is the amount shown for the family from the Neighborhood screen.
  • 3pts per Aspiration level achieved.
  • 1pt for reaching top of career (max 2 points per sim).
  • -1pt if a sim is fired due to poor work performance (not applicable if due to a chance card).
Collectables and Skills
  • 1pt per household with a complete Alien collection
  • 1pt per household with a complete Crystal collection
  • 1pt per household with a complete Elements collection
  • 1pt per household with a complete Fish collection
  • 1pt per household with a complete Fossil collection
  • 1pt per household with a complete Frog collection
  • 1pt per household with a complete Gardening collection
  • 1pt per household with a complete Metal collection
  • 1pt per household with a complete Microscope Prints collection
  • 1pt per household with a complete MySims Figurines collection
  • 1pt per household with a complete Postcard collection
  • 1pt per household with a complete Space Prints collection
  • 1pt per household with a complete Rocks collection
  • 5pts per household with a complete collectable collection
  • 5pts per sim who has maxed out every skill
Changelog;
Spoiler:
17 September 2014
  • Changed starting instructions regarding townies: You are no longer allowed to create your own townies as this could be counted as extra CAS families.
  • Added roll guidelines for child traits as they're different from the adult traits
  • Added instructions for starting a new game
  • Switched around the steps as you need to create a family before you get into the neighbourhood screen when creating a new game
  • Added instructions for demolishing homes that are unoccupied
So, what does everyone think? I'm mostly unsure about the scoring as there's still lots of things I don't know about game so I'm not sure what kinds of things should be given a points reward or points minus. I'd love to hear your feedback so we can get this challenge working for TS4 the best it can!
Last edited by DionysusDreams on September 17th, 2014, 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ddeathflower

Seasonal Events

Re: The Sims 4 Prosperity Challenge

Post by Ddeathflower »

I just discovered you can have save games so I will definitely be doing this when I have the time! Possibly the winter holidays.. :bounce:
DionysusDreams

Post by DionysusDreams »

I'll add that you can have multiple saves in the instructions, since quite a few people might be unaware of that. I'd love to read it if you decide to post your experiences with the challenge :D
Teresa
Site Admin
Site Admin
Steam ID: tjsmetana
Origin ID: tsmetana
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Teresa »

Mod Note
**I moved this to the Challenges/Legacies forum as it is a ruleset. This should allow others looking for rules to find it easier** :) :thup:
Completing challenges & legacies since 2007 | Completed Stories
skyegal23
Origin ID: Skyegal19
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Completed Challenges

Post Counts

Post by skyegal23 »

Hello this sounds like an interesting challenge and I plan to start it soon and post it on my Sims 4 Fun blog. I put link here when I have some updates. I Have started this challenge and it's here
My Challenges
I have a variety of challenges. They are all on one blog, but each has a table of contents My Blog
Bluenoser

Post by Bluenoser »

Hi,

I just got The Sims 4. I never played The Sims 3, but I loved The Sims 2. I played a modified version of The Prosperity Challenge all the time with it. I'm just wondering if the way aging and time works in the TS4 if the prosperity challenge will work in TS4. My fear is, say I play a 3.5 day round; if I have 5 families, when I get back to my first family for round 2, will it be 2 weeks later? Can anyone help with this before I waste my time in CAS creating my families?

Thanks, from Nova Scotia.
DionysusDreams

Post by DionysusDreams »

Bluenoser; Sorry for such a late reply! If you're still interested - aging would work much the same way it works in TS2. Just make sure you turn aging off for non-active households in the gameplay options then you just have to play your families in rotations. Time still progresses for the whole neighbourhood but they don't age unless you're playing the household.
spacey_72659

Post by spacey_72659 »

Found a link to this on the Sims Forums, looks pretty interesting. I'm always looking for new games to LP :)
ninaumi

Post by ninaumi »

DionysusDreams:

I want to tell you that I cannot describe how amazing this challenge is! :thup:
I've set up everything and played my first sim day of my first family. I think that it will be completely refreshing experience for me. You have perfectly combined TS2 and TS4, at least for me. :awesome:
Taube
Origin ID: 22Taube

Completed Challenges

Post Counts

Post by Taube »

This looks like a lot of fun, and a good way to combine 2 and 4 styles. A few questions:

1. Can the new aspirations from expansions be integrated? (Outdoor Enthusiast, Leader of the Pack)
2. Can the new traits from expansions and updates be integrated? (Jealous, Insider, Dance Machine, Squeamish, might be some others I'm missing)
3. Can sims be aliens from CAS, and should that be chosen or rolled?

Personally, I am setting up some families (I rolled 6 families, most of whom are large families - so much rolling!) and I set up my own system for the traits and aspirations so that getting the new ones was possible. I'm going to make one family aliens, just because. I'm not sure yet if I'll write them up or just play them for fun, but I'm looking forward to this. :bounce:
skyegal23
Origin ID: Skyegal19
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Completed Challenges

Post Counts

Post by skyegal23 »

I am going to start this again
I have already rolled my families, I got 5
I will put an update up when its ready
My Challenges
I have a variety of challenges. They are all on one blog, but each has a table of contents My Blog

Return to “Sims 4 Rulesets”