The Name Game Challenge TS3 (by cynicalbadger)

cynicalbadger

Post Counts

The Name Game Challenge TS3 (by cynicalbadger)

Post by cynicalbadger »

This challenge was created by cynicalbadger

Game-Play

You start with a founder (doy) and use the letters of that name to name his/her children, the founder will be destined to have as many children as letters in the name.
Example: Say you had a founder named Rose, Rose is destined to have 4 pregnancies (twins will start with the same letter). So Rose would mother Generation 2 who in this example might be named: Rick, Oscar, Sarah and Eric. Then whoever was picked for heir, the same would happen again. So for Example; Oscar would father Generation3: Opal, Sinbad, Cybil, Albus and Raine.
The way names work, the majority of them are more than 3 letters long and you can do an extra challenge by using really long names like Lorenzo Von Matterhorn if that's what you want to do. In the same breath there is no name (that I can think of anyway) that encompasses all 26 letters so it is different to the 26 pregnancy type challenges as it is essential for the challenge to spread over several generations.

- Founder can be male or female, and can move into any size lot or pre-made home.
- No cheating, mods allowed (enough said)
- Sex of the children can be determined through use of apples and watermelons, twins and triplets can be gained through the fertility treatment lifetime reward and by listening to the radio / watching KidZone - just basically any IN GAME way to have a multi-birth
- There can only be one heir, male or female, to carry on the game. You can either leave this up to the public with a vote OR chose the heir yourself based on which name will bring in new letters to your game.
- All children must live with the heir until at least YA when they can be kicked out.

The challenge is trying to have a child beginning with every letter (including spares) so planning is needed
Example (same as above): By Generation 3
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z = 6/26
Meaning B D F G H I J K L M N P Q T U V W X Y Z are still needed meaning at least another 20 pregnancies before ending the challenge
The Challenge ends when you can strike out all 26 letters at the end of the generation, so don't stop mid-name and continue till that generations youngest is a YA.

Play For Points

Now, I am a huge fan of playing for points, so I have devised a scheme to gain points, but if you just want to play for fun then just play for fun. The points aspect is a work in progress so if people feel that something needs to be added or taken away please comment.
Spoiler:
The fairest way I thought of doing this is by using scrabble points so for each child born give yourself the following points dependent on their initial:

A: 1 point
B: 3 points
C: 3 points
D: 2 points
E: 1 point
F: 4 points
G: 2 points
H: 4 points
I: 1 point
J: 8 points
K: 5 points
L: 1 point
M: 3 points
N: 1 point
O: 1 point
P: 3 points
Q: 10 points
R: 1 point
S: 1 point
T: 1 point
U: 1 point
V: 4 points
W: 4 points
X: 8 points
Y: 4 points
Z: 10 points
So Rose's children would earn her: 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 4 points
Oscar's children would earn points: 1 + 1 + 3 + 1 + 1 = 7 points
Rose herself earns no initial points as founder (unless the found is your simself, see below). So you can start with a founder named Quebec but only the child born will earn the big scoring Q points.

In the case of multi-births more points can be awarded; if Rose had triplets on the letter E then she would gain 3 points instead of one. If used strategically, twins can earn a maximum of 20 points and triplets can earn a maximum of 30 points

On the final generation when you are about to complete the challenge do not stop mid name, children born after completing all 26 letters still count towards points. Example:

You only need the letter I to complete the challenge and the name of the heir is Zia; Zia must have all three children but the challenge must end on the birthday of baby A becoming a YA. You can continue if you wish or do whatever with the children afterwards.
On completing the challenge you can award yourself points based on how many generations it took (founding generation is classed as generation 1)
Spoiler:
I completed this in X Generations, I must then award myself N points
Five Generations: 22 points
Six Generations: 21 points
Seven Generations: 20 points
Eight Generations: 19 points
Nine Generations: 18 points
Ten Generations: 17 points
Eleven Generations: 16 points
Twelve Generations: 15 points
Thirteen Generations: 14 points
Fourteen Generations: 13 points
Fifteen Generations: 12 points
Sixteen Generations: 11 points
Seventeen Generations: 10 points
Eighteen Generations: 9 points
Nineteen Generations: 8 points
Twenty Generations: 7 points
Twenty One Generations: 6 points
Twenty Two Generations: 5 points
Twenty Three Generations: 4 points
Twenty Four Generations: 3 points
Twenty Five Generations: 2 points
Twenty Six + Over Generations: 1 point
Extra Challenges

Although there are a lot of points to play for, why stop there? These extra challenges give you the opportunity to score high. I am a bit of a point nut so there is a lot to gain.

Top of My Career: +1 point for every sim (founder/heir/spouse only, no spares or roomies) that reaches the top of their career. +4 points for every unique career topped. So it works that if you make every sim go into a different career and they top it, it's basically +5 points per sim.

A Lifetime of Wanting: +1 point for every sim (founder/heir/spouse only, no spares or roomies) that reaches their Life Time Want. +4 points for every unique LTW complete. So it works that if every sim has a different LTW and they complete it, it's basically +5 points per sim.

Top of My Career and A Lifetime of Wanting will obviously cross over, but the principal still applies. If a sim has a LTW to become top of their career, both of which are unique and have not been completed before then that is +10 points.

Short Name Challenge: If you decide to use short names throughout the challenge (2 or 3 letters long) it will take more generations to complete the challenge but not necessarily less points. In any case, if, throughout the challenge, you've only used 2 or 3 letter long names (resulting in only 2 or 3 offspring per generation) award yourself an extra 30 points

If you are wanting to partake in the Short Name Challenge as well as the LVM/AVM (mentioned further below) then it is only acceptable to name the LVM/AVM longer than 3 letters without forfeiting points

The Patriarchy: Simply, all heirs are male. +2 points per generation (so if it takes 10 generations, you earn 20 points for all male heirs)
-Must start with a male founder

The Matriarchy: Simply, all heirs are female. +2 points per generation (so if it takes 10 generations, you earn 20 points for all male heirs)
- Must start with a female founder

If you start as a Patri/Matriarchy but fall off the bandwagon half way through then that is fine. Add the points of the generations completed until that point - Example; if you chose the opposite sex as heir for Generation 8 you will only earn 14 points for the Patri/Matriarchy for the previous 7 generations, all heirs afterwards will not receive the points bonus even if they are the same sex as the founder.

Helicopter Parent: +1 point for every toddler that is taught to walk, talk and go potty. +1 point for every child that reaches level 5 of two different skills before teen birthday. +1 point for every teen that is on the honor role for 3 days and another +1 point for every teen that reaches the top of their teen career.

For Helicopter Parent this does not have to be the same child that does all four requirements, a child can get a maximum of +4 points but if you fail to skill them as a child but they still manage to get to the top of their career they are still rewarded for getting to the top of their career regardless of how successful they were at the other parts.

Let The Public Decide: +5 points per generation that you leave up to the heir poll (10 generations decided through heir polls = 50 points)

The Simself: Using your Simself as founder (not spouse in later generations) will give you a +15 points advantage

The Lorenzo Von Matterhorn: (inspired by How I Met Your Mother) when the chance to name an L baby comes up you can name him (use apples to ensure male) Lorenzo Von Matterhorn / Lorenzo* (or the LVM) - if the LVM is chosen as heir this means having 20 children for this generation which, without twins or triplets, can bring in a sweet 37 points.
- Can not apply to Founder.
- *As this stands I am not 100% sure how long a name you can give a sim, if Lorenzo Von Matterhorn is too long you can always just name the child Lorenzo but have him have 20 children.
- Extra Bonus points for having the children with different mothers: 2 points per mother (chance of 40 points if all mothers are different)

The Arizona Von Matterhorn: (female alternative) when the chance to name an A baby comes up you can name her (use watermelons to ensure female) Arizona Von Matterhorn / Arizona* (or the AVM) - if the AVM is chosen as heir this means having 20 children for this generation which, without twins or triplets, can bring in a sweet 37 points.
- Can not apply to Founder.
- *As this stands I am not 100% sure how long a name you can give a sim, if Arizona Von Matterhorn is too long you can always just name the child Arizona but have her have 20 children.
- Extra Bonus points for having the children with different fathers: 2 points per fathers (chance of 40 points if all fathers are different)

The LVM and AVM can be put into play from Generation 2. It is possible (if you are up for it) to do both on different generations - this may not help you complete the challenge faster but will help bring in more points.
How you decide on the heir is up to yourself, you will not have points taken away for moving older children back in to the house or for using any in-game ways of making the LVM/AVM have a longer lifespan. NO CHEATING is still applied (obviously they can cheat on their spouse if that's what you're into but no fancy testingcheatsenabled cheats)

This has and hasn't been tested yet - it is possible but I am just applying points, I'll need some testers to see how effective the points are.

NEW Parent to an Occult: Go on, give yourself an extra +1 point for each occult child born naturally

Born naturally means that if you have a child that becomes an occult later (like as a teen or YA) that does not count, however their children if they become heir and then that child is born with that ability do count. If your founder was an occult that does not award you any points additional points nor does any spouse married in with occult-ness, but if the spouse successfully passes it on the offspring are awarded the points. Basically, award the point if the baby you bring home has a glow around it or is obviously occult (like ghost or plantsim)

NEW Sims Best Friend: If you successfully manage to have a pet family (horses, cats or dogs) living alongside your sims in the household award yourself an extra +1 point for each generation of that

The Sims 2

This challenge can apply to TS2 or TS3 and has worked in my previous attempts until life got in the way. I'm a Sims 3 player, so if any other rules/challenges that can't apply to TS2 do let me know! The rules can still be transferred onto TS2 quite easily, some of the challenges might not apply as well but point out if there is something you are dying to do and I'm sure someone will help to reach a compromise.

Helicopter Parent: To clarify, for every teen that is on the honor role for 3 days is translated for The Sims 2 to: for every teen sim that comes home with an A+ for 3 consecutive days in a row (which is basically what honor role is on TS3)

Ask questions and recommend some mini challenges!
simfulicious
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob
Origin ID: petunia302007

Post Counts

Re: The Name Game Challenge TS3 (by cynicalbadger)

Post by simfulicious »

I'm going to adapt this for TS4 for myself. I will stay as close to these rules as possible, unless I can't due to no toddlers or occults.
platformperil
House of Motherlode
House of Motherlode

Post by platformperil »

simfulicious wrote:I'm going to adapt this for TS4 for myself. I will stay as close to these rules as possible, unless I can't due to no toddlers or occults.
Oh man if you could write these rules out for the sims 4, that would be cool!
Uta No Prince Sama!
simfulicious
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob
Origin ID: petunia302007

Post Counts

Post by simfulicious »

Well the only change is to the Helicopter section. I'm doing the following:

1pt for each completed child aspiration
1pt for teens who have an A for 3 days
1pt for teens who max a teen career

I've removed the occult section, since there aren't really occults...though you can do it with aliens.
The Best friends section is also gone because there aren't pets yet.

I'm also enforcing a no switching aspiration rule in my file. Your sim can complete as many as you want, however, there is no switching back and forth...you have to complete one before moving to the next.
cynicalbadger

Post Counts

Post by cynicalbadger »

I'm about to start a new game of this on TS4 so I will be able to look at the rules and see how they go for that if you haven't already simfulicious
Radiochocolate
Sweden

Post Counts

Post by Radiochocolate »

Modification suggestions for Sims 2:

Helicopter Parent: +1 for every successful headmaster scenario (not for every child/teen that gets into private school).

Parent to an Occult: since occult babies are non-existent in TS2 (save for aliens) and I don't know the probability percentage of occult genes passing down in Sims 3, I suggest that you get a point for that baby if the mother turns into another life state during the pregnancy. If you'd want points for all the kids that gen, she'd have to switch back and forth between pregnancies.

Could there be extra points for not using aspiration rewards? They really make a difference in TS2 (whilst in TS3 they can just eat their favorite food or something to become more productive). What about points for earning a lot of aspiration points? This could apply to several games (I think 1 challenge point per 100,000 aspiration points earned would be fair in TS2).
//Currently on a non-committed hiatus from Boolprop and Sims//
Iron Values TPC | Sim!Mia | Simbia Penal Colony BaCC
Sunny's Monster Mash | Sim Scrabble: a TS2 Name Game
Teresa
Site Admin
Site Admin
Steam ID: tjsmetana
Origin ID: tsmetana
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Teresa »

Do all children have to be naturally born, or can they be adopted?
Completing challenges & legacies since 2007 | Completed Stories
cynicalbadger

Post Counts

Post by cynicalbadger »

Radiochocolate wrote:Modification suggestions for Sims 2:

Helicopter Parent: +1 for every successful headmaster scenario (not for every child/teen that gets into private school).

Parent to an Occult: since occult babies are non-existent in TS2 (save for aliens) and I don't know the probability percentage of occult genes passing down in Sims 3, I suggest that you get a point for that baby if the mother turns into another life state during the pregnancy. If you'd want points for all the kids that gen, she'd have to switch back and forth between pregnancies.

Could there be extra points for not using aspiration rewards? They really make a difference in TS2 (whilst in TS3 they can just eat their favorite food or something to become more productive). What about points for earning a lot of aspiration points? This could apply to several games (I think 1 challenge point per 100,000 aspiration points earned would be fair in TS2).
I like these, and I also can't remember a lot about TS2 but yeah, as aspiration rewards help it could be an extra point thing. Also, it might be worth thinking about something similar to the Who's Your Daddy where you get points based off the ones you don't use?
Teresa wrote:Do all children have to be naturally born, or can they be adopted?
I can't see why they can't be adopted? I normally don't because I'm so obssesed with BLOOD legacy but because it's a naming scheme as long as it follows the rules I can't see a problem with it :)
Nevermore
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Location: Hanging out with the voices in Harley Quinn's head.

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Nevermore »

I'm going to try out this challenge! :bounce: I just got to wait for my chosen founder to grow up first. :thup:

I collect so many names, it'll be good to put them to use.

Do what you love and the happiness follows.
The reasons you want to stay can blind you to the realisation you don't love it anymore.
xoxo

somebodysangel
Steam ID: somebodysangel
Origin ID: somebodysangel
Australia

Post Counts

Post by somebodysangel »

Wondering if the TS3 version can be updated with some of the points options that are in the TS4 version:
Skilled Sims: +1 pt for every maxed skill (Founder/Spouse + Lettered children only, no roomies). +4 pts for uniqueness, so the first time each skill is maxed it will bring 5pts, after that only 1pt each time someone maxes it. Child skills count.
Paintings: +1pt for every portrait completed (Founder/Spouse + Lettered children only, no roomies). Painting must be on display somewhere in house.
ImageImageImageImage Image Image Image
ABCs of Genetics ~ Minos Apocalypse ~ Young BISBI
COMPLETED: Maloney WYDC, Nav-igating the Hive, Winchester Baby Boom, Nikki Immortal Teen, Last Man Standing, Rourke EPIC, Jasper Sweet Lips[/color]

Return to “Sims 3 Rulesets”