Dumpster Diver Challenge

Moderator: Lorinsv

Dumpster Diver Challenge

Postby MichelleCYoung » December 4th, 2017, 8:22 pm

My computer is finally back, and running, sort of. Well, Windows 10 "updated" to make my life "better," and now all I can run is Base Game, Vanilla (can't install any of my store content!!! Aaaaagh!). Anyway, until I can get it sorted out and get my real stuff back, I'm noodling around with a base game challenge of my own. It's simple and short (only 21 days), but promises to be fun.

Dumpster Diver Rules:

Start with a single young adult sim (adjust aging as necessary to get the full 21 days until aging up). Buy an empty lot of whatever size you like. Cheat your way to $0 in family funds. For the entire duration of young adult life, your sim will dumpster dive, and use the proceeds to build up their “dream home.”

ALL your family's worth must trace its origin back to the dumpster. You may use or sell your finds.

• You may NOT garden, unless you found the plantable object in the dumpster.
  • You may NOT fish, unless you found enough fish in a dumpster to stock your own pond (10 or more).
  • You may NOT busk, paint, or write novels, unless you found the appropriate money-making-device in the dumpster.
  • You may NOT get a job.
  • You may NOT mooch funds off other sims (although you may mooch food).
  • You may NOT collect items off the ground.
  • You may NOT move in/marry another sim before the founder's adult birthday (no “dowry”).
  • You may NOT skill unless you are able to do it at home, with skill objects that can trace their roots to the dumpster, but once a skill object is “unlocked” (found or purchased with dumpster money), you may skill with it anywhere. A mirror or bookcase can get you started. You may watch Cooking channel, after you get a stove or bookcase with a cooking book. You may watch fishing channel only after you have found 10 of the same type of fish and stocked your own pond. You may read at the library, but only books you already have at home. Get the idea?
  • You MUST pay bills.
  • All items from the dumpster must be placed and/or sold by midnight on the day they were found.
  • You don't have to start building up your house for 1 week. After that, however, you need to start building up your “dream home,” on your home lot (and paying bills!).
  • Your “dream home,” must be fully enclosed, and on a foundation, with at least one step and a porch of at least 2 squares, and must include The Basics: 1 bed, 1 fridge, 1 counter, 1 sink, 1 stove, 1 table, 1 chair, 1 toilet, 1 shower or tub, 1 bookcase, and 1 entertainment device.
  • Opportunities may NOT be accepted or fulfilled.
Scoring:
+1 for each room in the house 6+ squares in size (closets don't count, but hallways do)
+1 for each $1000 in family net worth (cash plus value of house, furnished, - check build/buy mode, top left corner)
+1 for each piece of furniture placed in the house beyond The Basics
+1 for each Basic item that was actually dug out of the dumpster. May have multiples of the same items, for multiple points.
+1 for each skill point earned (can be earned anywhere, but the skill object to allow gaining that skill must be placed on the home lot, before you earn the skill elsewhere)

Figure your score when your founder becomes an adult.

Note - from my experiments, it looks like you can not find a fridge, counters, mirror, or plumbing in the dumpster. But beds, tables, chairs, bookcases, stoves, TVs, stereos, computers, gaming systems, table lamps, floor lamps, and a variety of decor objects can be found there, as well as common insects, gems and ores. I did not find any fish, seeds, or produce in the dumpster, but YMMV.
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
Alphabetepic Apocalypse updated 4-1-16 - Adventure Complete
Parker Trailer Park Challenge updated Mar 27, 2017
Youngdale Build a Royal Queendom Challenge updated Sep 25, 2017
The NeenerNanner Apocalypse - October 31, 2016 A New Hope Apocalypse - October 9, 2016 - hiatus until I upgrade my computer
Simself version 1 Simself version 2
MichelleCYoung
House of Llama
House of Llama

Medals: 13
Golden Plumbob (1) Golden Plumbob 2017 (1) Apocalypse Challenge (2) Completed a Challenge! (1) Gold Writing Award 2016 (1) Gold Writing Award 2017 (1) 2017 Halloween Events (1) Happy Birthday (1) Teresa's Troll (1)
Great Migration of 2014 (1) Watermelon Bliss (1) Netherlands (1)

Re: Dumpster Diver Challenge

Postby snazzle » December 5th, 2017, 6:57 pm

This sounds fun! It's almost how I started out my Baby Boom challenge LOL so I'll try it for real when I'm done with that. My young adult stage is set at 28, but I'll just keep an eye on the counter and call it at 21 days.
snazzle
House of Motherlode
House of Motherlode

Medals: 11
Gold Writing Award 2017 (1) 2017 Halloween Events (1) 2017 Halloween Events - Cat (1) 2017 Pumpkin Hunt (1) 2017 Pumpkin Hunt - Gold (1) 2017 Snowman Hunt (1) 12th Birthday Event (1) Palmer Says ... (1) Pass the Parcel (1)
Pin the Plumbob (1) United States (1)
Origin ID: Rindoodle

Postby MichelleCYoung » December 5th, 2017, 9:40 pm

I just finished my run-through, "Traylor Trash," and got a score of
Spoiler:

I think that's not bad, at all, especially for a first try. Most of my points are from the furniture. Gotta love those small decorative items. Yes, I counted them. And I say that other players can count decorations, too. Official ruling.

If you're willing to count up hundreds of knick-knacks, go for it. I did a complete inventory, listing what was bought, and what was found. To tell the truth, I was astonished at just how much I was able to find! Who knew?

Anyway, I'll be posting my story on boolprop, just as soon as I can get my file sharing to work.
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
Alphabetepic Apocalypse updated 4-1-16 - Adventure Complete
Parker Trailer Park Challenge updated Mar 27, 2017
Youngdale Build a Royal Queendom Challenge updated Sep 25, 2017
The NeenerNanner Apocalypse - October 31, 2016 A New Hope Apocalypse - October 9, 2016 - hiatus until I upgrade my computer
Simself version 1 Simself version 2
MichelleCYoung
House of Llama
House of Llama

Medals: 13
Golden Plumbob (1) Golden Plumbob 2017 (1) Apocalypse Challenge (2) Completed a Challenge! (1) Gold Writing Award 2016 (1) Gold Writing Award 2017 (1) 2017 Halloween Events (1) Happy Birthday (1) Teresa's Troll (1)
Great Migration of 2014 (1) Watermelon Bliss (1) Netherlands (1)

Postby heatherfeather » December 6th, 2017, 12:29 pm

This challenge sounds really fun!
heatherfeather

Medals: 3
12th Birthday Event (1) Pass the Parcel (1) US - North Carolina (1)

Postby Jenn » December 8th, 2017, 2:05 pm

I'm having a go at this right now. It's pretty fun. I like that it's a short challenge, so I probably won't post a full thread for it.

My only question is: What is YMMV?
Jenn
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob

Medals: 27
Golden Plumbob (1) Boolprop EPIC Challenge (1) I'm Surrounded by Idiots (1) Queen Bee Challenge (1) Who's Your Daddy? (1) Story of the Month (1) Completed a Challenge! (1) 2017 Egg Hunt (1) 2017 Golden Egg (1)
Silver Writing Award 2016 (1) Gold Writing Award 2017 (1) Halloween 2016 (1) 2016 Holiday Events (1) 2017 Valentine Events (1) 2017 Halloween Events (1) 2017 Halloween Events - Cat (1) 2017 Pumpkin Hunt (1) 2017 Pumpkin Hunt - Gold (1)
2017 Xmas Events (1) 12th Birthday Event (1) Palmer Says ... (1) Scavenger Hunt (1) Pass the Parcel (1) Pin the Plumbob (1) Happy Birthday (1) Great Migration of 2014 (1) USA - California (1)
Steam ID: oxjennxo
Origin ID: xoxjennxox

Return to Sims 3 Rulesets