Palmer
Mascot
Mascot

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

GOLDEN PLUMBOBS 2016: Chat

Post by Palmer »

Chat about the Golden Plumbobs here!

Also, please leave any questions you might have in this thread!

Good luck! :plumbob:
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Chase
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam ID: ziekenz
United States of America

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Re: GOLDEN PLUMBOBS 2016: Chat

Post by Chase »

I'm super excited for these!

I'm Palmer is super excited to receive nominations and set up the voting as well, so get 'em in!!!
hello! :heartbeat:
Rosanna
Palmer's Minions
Palmer's Minions

Post Counts

Post by Rosanna »

Can we just take a minute to appreciate those floating ducks though
Teresa
Site Admin
Site Admin
Steam ID: tjsmetana
Origin ID: tsmetana
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Teresa »

Palmer's got a pretty cool signature.

I will work on my nominations tomorrow ... afternoon ...
Completing challenges & legacies since 2007 | Completed Stories
LostInReverie

Post Counts

Post by LostInReverie »

Woo, I'm excited to send in my nominations. I'll work on them tomorrow, like Teresa. :lol:
Sims 4 Legacies
The Disney LegacyThe Keller Random Legacy
Sims 3 Legacies
Coming soon.
Abby
Palmer's Minions
Palmer's Minions

Post Counts

Post by Abby »

Palmers signature is THE best!!!
Keika
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Keika »

I was just admiring Palmer's signature! :D

One question. How recent should the challenges we nominate be? Does it matter at all, or should we try to stick to challenges that've been published within the last few years?
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

Usually it's what's posted on here, at least that's what it was the first time this came around. I already have a few nominations in mind once the voting is opened.
Teresa
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Teresa »

You can send your nominations to Palmer now through January 16th. The polls for voting will go up on January 18th.
Keika wrote:One question. How recent should the challenges we nominate be? Does it matter at all, or should we try to stick to challenges that've been published within the last few years?
I don't believe we are limiting the nominations to a certain time frame this year simply because it has been awhile since we have done the awards. I will check with the others and make sure and someone will post a clarification.
Chase
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by Chase »

I'm excited for the voting; there'll be so many stories to read :bounce:
Palmer
Mascot
Mascot

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Palmer »

Keep those nominations coming! Quack!

Also, a clarification (that'll also be posted in the nominations thread):

Completed stories are not eligible for "Best Legacy/Challenge" in the Sims 2/3/4 Stories sections. They are only eligible in the Completed Stories section.

Sorry if this was unclear, and if you know you sent in a nomination for a completed story in the active categories, feel free to send a new nomination for that award if you'd like!

:ducky: :ducky: :ducky:
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Radiochocolate
Sweden

Post Counts

Post by Radiochocolate »

1) When this becomes a more regular thing, will we be able to nominate people that have previously received the award (in the same or another category)?

2) If a category has only one nominee by the time the voting starts, will they automatically receive the reward?

3) What happens if a category has no nominees?

4) Does Palmer and Santa count as members for the "Around the forums" category?
//Currently on a non-committed hiatus from Boolprop and Sims//
Iron Values TPC | Sim!Mia | Simbia Penal Colony BaCC
Sunny's Monster Mash | Sim Scrabble: a TS2 Name Game
somebodysangel
Steam ID: somebodysangel
Origin ID: somebodysangel
Australia

Post Counts

Post by somebodysangel »

Nominations sent! I'm looking forward to this, always eager to read more sims legacies, and award nominations are a great indicator of excellence :D
ImageImageImageImage Image Image Image
ABCs of Genetics ~ Minos Apocalypse ~ Young BISBI
COMPLETED: Maloney WYDC, Nav-igating the Hive, Winchester Baby Boom, Nikki Immortal Teen, Last Man Standing, Rourke EPIC, Jasper Sweet Lips[/color]
Rflong7
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob

Post Counts

Post by Rflong7 »

Hi :)

What fun! I wish I could vote but I could never read all the stories here and I wouldn't feel right about voting then. Plus I don't spend enough time to find out about everyone. :(

So... is this a once a year thing?

Good Luck to Everyone! :pan:
Teresa
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Teresa »

The plan is once a year, generally in January/February
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Rflong7 wrote:Hi :)

What fun! I wish I could vote but I could never read all the stories here and I wouldn't feel right about voting then. Plus I don't spend enough time to find out about everyone. :(
I don't think anyone reads EVERYthing here, nor knows everybody. My opinion is that you should go ahead and vote, anyway, for the stories/people you like best. Or just stories you like best, if you don't want to vote for people.

After all, if there is one story that totally stands out to you, even if it's the only one you've read, but it just pulled you in and kept you checking the Boolprop forum for more, then that's worth recognizing, isn't it?

I will only vote in a few categories, I suppose, but I knew at once which one to nominate for the best completed Sims 2 legacy. The others will take more consideration, but that one, for me, was a no-brainer. No, I'm not telling which one.

One question: Sometimes a story is just going along wonderfully, and it's amazing and engaging, and then the author for one reason or another (such as computer damage, or the author simply stops posting at all for unknown reasons) stops updating, and officially declares the story defunct. I think these get moved to the graveyard? Anyway, are such stories still eligible? Even if you know it will never be finished, if you enjoyed the read that much, and you think it's worth it to nominate it for a particular category, is it allowed? Or are we limited to known-ongoing and completed stories?

Edited to add: Question: What does "Most likely to paint the mod sticks purple" even mean? I have no idea what that's about, and I'm probably not the only one, so I'm going to be the one to admit it, and ask.
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Heather
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Steam ID: spacedoggity
Origin ID: pixeldollhouse
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Heather »

MichelleCYoung wrote: Edited to add: Question: What does "Most likely to paint the mod sticks purple" even mean? I have no idea what that's about, and I'm probably not the only one, so I'm going to be the one to admit it, and ask.
I don't know the answer to your first question, but most likely to paint the mod sticks purple translates to something along the lines of which mod/member is most likely to cause chaos/mischief. Or, so I'm assuming. :)
Teresa
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Teresa »

Heather wrote:
MichelleCYoung wrote: Edited to add: Question: What does "Most likely to paint the mod sticks purple" even mean? I have no idea what that's about, and I'm probably not the only one, so I'm going to be the one to admit it, and ask.
I don't know the answer to your first question, but most likely to paint the mod sticks purple translates to something along the lines of which mod/member is most likely to cause chaos/mischief. Or, so I'm assuming. :)
That is how I took it also.
Rflong7
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob

Post Counts

Post by Rflong7 »

MichelleCYoung wrote:
Rflong7 wrote:Hi :)

I don't think anyone reads EVERYthing here, nor knows everybody. My opinion is that you should go ahead and vote, anyway, for the stories/people you like best. Or just stories you like best, if you don't want to vote for people.

After all, if there is one story that totally stands out to you, even if it's the only one you've read, but it just pulled you in and kept you checking the Boolprop forum for more, then that's worth recognizing, isn't it?

I will only vote in a few categories, I suppose, but I knew at once which one to nominate for the best completed Sims 2 legacy. The others will take more consideration, but that one, for me, was a no-brainer. No, I'm not telling which one.

One question: Sometimes a story is just going along wonderfully, and it's amazing and engaging, and then the author for one reason or another (such as computer damage, or the author simply stops posting at all for unknown reasons) stops updating, and officially declares the story defunct. I think these get moved to the graveyard? Anyway, are such stories still eligible? Even if you know it will never be finished, if you enjoyed the read that much, and you think it's worth it to nominate it for a particular category, is it allowed? Or are we limited to known-ongoing and completed stories?

Edited to add: Question: What does "Most likely to paint the mod sticks purple" even mean? I have no idea what that's about, and I'm probably not the only one, so I'm going to be the one to admit it, and ask.

That is the way I feel about it. I'm not suggesting you follow me or that everyone does what I do. :)

While I"m a competitive person, I'm not a writer. I always liked this site because it shared but I never knew it had votes for the Best. It puts me off. This is also my opinion on these things. I like sharing but don't like to feel I have to try to be as good as others (which will Never happen!) to be considered a part of the site. I don't' know. I just know I feel uncomfortable sharing now that others will judge me more.

I also don't like getting a medal just for showing up. :lol: That's not it, either. Maybe people should be able to put up their stories to be voted... that way they can write to be judged and others can just share their game. There aren't many Sim sites which I'm a member and actually visit everyday. This was one because I didn't think I would be judged on my poor writing along side people who actually write so well.

Now I feel even more out because I did shared my view about this but also, I didn't join the site to be a part of a competition. It's one thing to join to compete, another to be forced into a competition.
Chase
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by Chase »

Rflong7 wrote:[quotes erased so as not to drag out post]
While I"m a competitive person, I'm not a writer. I always liked this site because it shared but I never knew it had votes for the Best. It puts me off. This is also my opinion on these things. I like sharing but don't like to feel I have to try to be as good as others (which will Never happen!) to be considered a part of the site. I don't' know. I just know I feel uncomfortable sharing now that others will judge me more.

I also don't like getting a medal just for showing up. :lol: That's not it, either. Maybe people should be able to put up their stories to be voted... that way they can write to be judged and others can just share their game. There aren't many Sim sites which I'm a member and actually visit everyday. This was one because I didn't think I would be judged on my poor writing along side people who actually write so well.

Now I feel even more out because I did shared my view about this but also, I didn't join the site to be a part of a competition. It's one thing to join to compete, another to be forced into a competition.

In terms of the categories saying "Best", this reminds me of the state high school musical awards that I was a part of back then. Instead of "Best Female Actress in a Leading Role," it's "Outstanding Performance by a Female Actress in a Leading Role." All of the actresses nominated in the category gave fantastic performances to be there in the first place, and there are many female leads that gave stunning performances that don't get nominated! :starry: Perhaps "Outstanding *blankity* Story" is what these should be named, but "Best *blank*" is what they were called in the previous two Golden Plumbobs, so I guess that's what stuck. There is no 'best' story in any of these categories. A win in any category doesn't really mean that someone is the best or has the best/funniest story, it just serves as an endorsement by many readers :hugs:

Personally, as a Sims story writer I enjoy making stories in all of the different ways: with plot, with lighthearted observation, and with the bare minimum. I also like reading all three kinds of story that I've just listed. :D As I've Palmer has been seeing the nominations come in, it's been great to see that Boolproppers enjoy all of these as well :heart:

I'll try to work to get this across in future official Golden Plumbob posts, but this event really shouldn't be something that guides story creation. It's simply an event for people to recommend stories they love :D We have the Featured Stories event as a way to randomly spotlight stories, the update threads as a way for writers to spotlight their own stories, and the Golden Plumbobs as a way for readers to spotlight their favorite stories. :mrgreen: So it's really a chance for members to root for their favorite stories, rather than focus on their own :) These awards are really light-hearted, too; they aren't really to be taken too seriously :P

oh and don't feel out for sharing your opinion, it's great to share here :D Also, if the nominations come out and anyone feels they'd like to decline their nomination, we'd definitely be willing to take it out per their wishes :) Getting nominated doesn't mean that there'll be critiques or scorecards or anything, though. It's just a poll :#1:

edit: also @ the purple mod stick thing, I don't know what it really means either. I always just thought it was something funny Rhea/someone put in, for someone who's most likely.... to paint the mod sticks purple :P

Return to “Golden Plumbobs Archive”