Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam ID: ziekenz
United States of America

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Founder as Gen. 0 vs. Gen. 1?

Post by Chase »

I'm pretty sure this was once a topic, probably also started by me, but I'm wondering all the same :shifty:

Do you have your founders start as generation 0 or generation 1? I know for Rainbow Legacies, Alphabetacies, and a variety of other twist-legacies you must have them as 0, but for regular legacies, what's your policy?
hello! :heartbeat:
Teresa
Site Admin
Site Admin
Steam ID: tjsmetana
Origin ID: tsmetana
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Re: Founder as Gen. 0 vs. Gen. 1?

Post by Teresa »

Founders are always gen 1 for me, unless they specifically have to start as gen 0.
Completing challenges & legacies since 2007 | Completed Stories
Keika
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Keika »

Same here--founders are always gen 1 for me. Unless there's an obvious reason, like in an alphabetacy, for the first generation to not count, this "generation zero" concept has always struck me as kind of odd. How could somebody be the zeroth generation? :P No offense to anyone who does that.
Faye Silver
House of Motherlode
House of Motherlode
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Faye Silver »

Gen 1 unless it's an alphabetacy or it specifically calls the founder "gen 0". And Keika, I guess if you look at it like someone who's immigrated to someplace else, they're not considered first generation -insert nationality here-, their kids are considered first generation.
ImageImageImage Image
ImageImage
[hr]
nicholaplaysthesims
Steam ID: alpha_ddeathclaw
Origin ID: laaputa
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by nicholaplaysthesims »

I always class it as 'Gen 1' but not sure why - never really thought about it! :P
Iya

Post Counts

Post by Iya »

Faye Silver wrote:I guess if you look at it like someone who's immigrated to someplace else, they're not considered first generation -insert nationality here-, their kids are considered first generation.
I guess I always see it this way, the founder will be Gen 0 and their kids be first generation. it didn't make sense for to see them as first i guess. :oops:
ImageImage
Keika
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Keika »

Ah yes, that does make sense. Sorry, Iya. Didn't mean to make you embarrassed.
Jenn
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob
Steam ID: oxjennxo
Origin ID: xoxjennxox
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Completed Challenges

Seasonal Events

Winners Choice

Post Counts

Post by Jenn »

I actually confuse myself on this all the time. I call my founders, the founders and their kids are generation 2. Even in a rainbowcy, my founders are founders, but their kids will be generation 1.
Iya

Post Counts

Post by Iya »

Keika wrote:Ah yes, that does make sense. Sorry, Iya. Didn't mean to make you embarrassed.
haha, why would I be embarrassed? it just didn't make sense to me to see the founders as the first generation, but i can see why most considered them first generation since they're the start of everything. :D

EDIT: I've been thinking about this and realized that there is no right or wrong answer. So to make life easier for me, unless the challenge specify, then I think I'll go with founder as 1st generation too. :hmm: At the very least, I'm a part of the norm now. :celebration: :rotfl:
ImageImage
Scribal_Goddess

Post Counts

Post by Scribal_Goddess »

I count my founder as generation 0, but given that I have a storytelling reason that it's only his descendants who are important to certain plots...

Actually, that's funny, because I was counting everybody who came out of CAS in my abandoned BACC as generation one.
Simsimity

Post Counts

Post by Simsimity »

Regular legacies and most challenges I consider the founding generation gen 1 - original genetic donor! But for my genetacy and things like the alphabetacy, then it's Gen 0 or founding generation. It's just easier to type Gen 0 than founding generation all the time. :lol:
Call me Jenn/Rai, I answer to both!

Proudmoore Sims Downloads
Abby
Palmer's Minions
Palmer's Minions

Post Counts

Post by Abby »

This is an interesting topic. I have always wondered this too - for regular 10gen legacies ive always considered my founder as generation one, as i thought that was the 'correct' way aboutit?
Heather
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Steam ID: spacedoggity
Origin ID: pixeldollhouse
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Heather »

I've always assumed that for 10gen legacies you started counting generations from the first born-in game sims, so your founders would not count towards the number of generations you reach. Are you only supposed to have 9 generations of born-in game sims? I'm mostly curious because I recently restarted my alphabetacy-turned-legacy, and having one less generation worry about would make things a lot easier for me. :lol:
Avery

Post by Avery »

I actually never thought about this topic in-depth! I usually count the first gen as Gen 1. :)
Rex
Canada

Post Counts

Post by Rex »

I'm pretty sure that according to the Pinstar rules, the founder is generation 1. Otherwise, a lot of people who have completed legacies actually failed haha

In alphabet legacies, the founder is generation 0. The subsequent generations are A-Z.
Heather
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Heather »

Hmmm, maybe because I played an alphabetacy prior to a legacy I assumed founders were generation 0. Still, it makes more sense to me that you would start counting from the birth of your couple's children, as they would be the first sims you've played the full life stage for.

Can't say for sure who's right, though. The rules do not explicitly state it, which is kind of annoying. I'd love to be able to end a generation earlier, but I want an official ruling so that I don't stop short of completing the challenge. :lol:
Seera
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Seera »

Based on the scoring for Pinstar's Legacy, founder is gen 1:

Scoring
-You earn points in this challenge, known as Legacy Points, for completing certain tasks or fulfilling certain conditions.
-Each Category is worth a maximum of 10 points.
-To determine your current score, you divide your current points by the maximum number of points possible. Your score is the % that results. A perfect Legacy will have a score of 100%

Category: Legacy
-You get half a point the founder. (you earn this automatically)
-You get half a point for each generation born except the 10th
-You get a full point for the birth of the 10th generation
-You get half a point if a founder or heir has their portrait painted and hanging somewhere in the house.

There is no mention of an overflow for the Legacy Category, though there are mentions in other categories. If the founder was gen 0, then there would be a max of 11 points for the category and would need a mention of the overflow. And it would be odd to design a category to always go into overflow if the challenge isn't failed.

http://www.simslegacychallenge.com/lega ... -advanced/
Heather
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Heather »

Well, I guess that settles it! Odd, but I'm not complaining.

Edit: Wait, isn't .5 points x 9 generations 4.5 points? Would that not make the final points for reaching all the generations 5.5? So having 10 generations + founder = 6 points?

I don't know, it's been 3 years since I've taken a math class, and I almost failed. Does somebody who is actually good at math want to explain this to me? :lol: Also, the fact that the founder is listed separately from the line stating you get half a point for each generation makes me suspect that they are not counted as a generation. I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just really confused.

To me, this looks like:

Founder = .5
Generations 1 - 9 = .5 each, or 4.5 points total
Generation 10 = 1 point
Seera
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Seera »

Founder = 0.5 points

Birth of each heir through gen 9 = 0.5 points each. 8 * 0.5 = 4.0

Birth of gen 10 heir = 1.0 points.

You get 0.5 points for painting a portrait of your founder and heirs through gen 9. 9 * 0.5 = 4.5

0.5 (Founder) + 4.0 (birth of gens 2-9) + 1.0 (birth of gen 10) + 4.5 (portrait of founder through gen 9) = 10.

Total possible points if there were 11 generations would be 11. And all of the other categories where the total possible points exceed the max points in the category, it mentioned that any points over go to the Overflow category. This category did not. It would seem also be odd to design the scoring to give more than the max points allowed for every challenge that succeeds in getting to the end.

Otherwise someone who stopped a generation early could get the same points as someone who went to the end. And doesn't that seem odd for a scoring system?
Heather
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Heather »

Oh, I didn't realize there was more to that point section than just half a point for each generation, that would explain how it would go into overflow.

Thanks for the explanation! I still think it's odd that your founder counts as a generation, since you don't raise them from birth to death, but I'm not complaining. :)

Return to “Sims 2 Chat”