Apoc Question: Can a second spouse lift a career?

goeswithoutsinging

Apoc Question: Can a second spouse lift a career?

Post by goeswithoutsinging »

Okay so here's my situation:

My Apocalypse Founder was engaged to a lady we'll call Spouse A. After lifting the Law restrictions, Spouse A moved in and lifted the Politics restrictions. After which my Founder and Spouse A woohooed and got Spouse A pregnant.

Unfortunately a harsh pregnancy/my own mismanagement lead to Spouse A dropping dead before she could give birth.

Fortunately for the future of this apocalypse, Founder is not yet elderified and also has a second woman in love with him. (Unplanned by me, thanks ACR.) So I'm planning on hastily marrying in Spouse B and getting her pregnant.

My question is, do you think Spouse B should be able to lift a career as well, or would that be kind of cheat-y since, if I accomplish that, I'll be having three lifts from Gen 1 instead of the usual two?
TB Asylum Challenge - Daily life with the criminally insane. Completed.
River Heights BACC - We have a boot. Ongoing.
Pharith BARKC - Classism and disastrous gardens. Ongoing.
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Re: Apoc Question: Can a second spouse lift a career?

Post by Ani-Mei »

Well, I would say it would still count for an additional lift. Moving in a spouse is only allowed if they will contribute to the next generation. In Sims 2 if you have all EP's and SP's there are 30 lifts including the optional Alien Tech one because one lift per person is allowed and the new spouse can still have one to lift, as long as it's different from the other two that the first spouse and the founder have done.
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

Wow, what a situation, I don't recall that happening before! It's a good question, but it seems to me that Spouse A's lift shouldn't count, because essentially she will not be part of the bloodline. Just my opinion though. I look forward to others weighing in. :)

I can try to ask Pinstar/Imagining Mystic too, we've gotten questions like this answered sometimes.
Image Image
ISTJ
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

Spouse A died after the lift was completed (or so I understood) so I would say it would still count as done and not be neutralized because of it. If she died while IN PROGRESS of her lift then it wouldn't count.
Seera
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Seera »

I think it should count. The rules state that the only Sims who can lift restrictions are Sims of the bloodline and spouses to the heirs (founder implied). Other rules state that Sims may only be moved in if they are to bring in the next generation.

Spouse A was moved in with the intention of bringing in the next generation and was pregnant when she died. Spouse B will be moved in with the intent of bringing in the next generation.

Spouse A was the spouse when Politics was lifted. Spouse B will be the spouse when she lifts whatever she lifts.
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

I just sent a message to Pinstar on their Legacychallenge website.

I think it could go either way. The fact that Spouse A did not contribute to the next generation could disqualify her lift. Or not. I don't know.
Image Image
ISTJ
Teresa
Site Admin
Site Admin
Steam ID: tjsmetana
Origin ID: tsmetana
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Teresa »

The part that made me pause if the rule that only one sim can be moved in each generation until something is lifted (went blank on which one)
Completing challenges & legacies since 2007 | Completed Stories
Seera
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Seera »

Teresa wrote:The part that made me pause if the rule that only one sim can be moved in each generation until something is lifted (went blank on which one)
Just did a search on the apocalypse rules for "move" and nothing came up that explicitly stated that only 1 Sim may be moved in.

Intelligence gives the closest and it's that Sims may only be invited to move in by the Sim that they will produce the next generation with.
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

Yes, I believe what it comes down to: is there a difference between "will" and "would have" or "intended to."
Image Image
ISTJ
Teresa
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Teresa »

I was reading the rules for TS4, not TS2

"One move-in per generation…at least while the comedian restriction is in place. Once you lift that, you can move in any number of Sims."
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

I think Teresa was clarifying that her reading applied to TS4 and not TS2.
Image Image
ISTJ
Teresa
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Teresa »

Yep what I was reading was Sims 4 - but I knew I had read it somewhere :lol:
goeswithoutsinging

Post by goeswithoutsinging »

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Personally I'm going to keep the Politics restrictions lifted because 1) I did have to do some work to get them lifted and 2) I'd already built stuff outside the 8x8 area when she died, so I'm mostly just wondering if it would be "fair" to have Spouse B lift a third restriction.
TB Asylum Challenge - Daily life with the criminally insane. Completed.
River Heights BACC - We have a boot. Ongoing.
Pharith BARKC - Classism and disastrous gardens. Ongoing.
Twilightoutside

Post Counts

Post by Twilightoutside »

Bit late but:

The challenge's wording states: only spouses are allowed to move in, that 'will' contribute to the next generation...

- you could therefore say, that a spouse who doesn't contribute to the next generation is an 'illegal' spouse and therefore all its achievements are null and void and restrictions go back into effect....

- I wouldn't however always go with the wording, because then you would be forced to say, that a spouse at the top of his career moving in immediately lifts a restriction, 'no ifs and or buts'! And that would go for multiple spouses moved in and dying before contributing to the next gen as well - no ifs and or buts!!

- so I'd go with what was - probably - the intent of the rule, that you shouldn't be able to do the abovementioned thing of multiple spouses contributing or not yet all lifting careers, but rather, that 'Spouse B' fills in the role of 'Spouse A' and 'inherits' her achievements including lifting a career already [practically, this would be favorable because as you said, a restriction going back into effect is tedious - that's why it was removed for the Criminal/Pets restriction...], so that Spouse B shouldn't be allowed anymore to lift one even if moved in at the top of her career...

- ... of course that's only a suggestion, because you could argue as well, that the additional strain of moving in another person and losing all the ressources wasted on the last spouse might make it fair to let the new one to lift a career as well....
Jendra

Post by Jendra »

I know you've probably made your decision by now, but my gut feeling is the first spouse's lift should be removed. Knowing how hard that would be however, I'd go with the second spouse not being able to make a lift. There should only be one spouse making a lift each generation.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

I'm late to this, as well, but for future reference, because it will probably happen again, to someone else, my opinion would be that the first spouse's lift should be valid, and maintained, but the second spouse should be used solely for bringing in the next generation, and not even attempt a lift. The spouse MAY get a job, and get the career reward for future use when/if it becomes unlocked (pass it down via inventory, or place it somewhere inaccessible until it's freed up), or just work for the money and free lunch, but otherwise, the career would be meaningless.

Basically, my interpretation is one spousal lift per generation. I believe you could even marry in a second spouse even if the Spouse A died after giving birth to a child, if you want more children. You could wind up with a serial harem if you want genetic diversity, or just have really bad luck keeping them alive. Just don't go for a second spousal lift that generation.

The rules say spouses may only be moved in if they will contribute to the next generation. That was the intent with Spouse A, and instant lifts from sims who move in already at the top of their careers don't make you wait for them to give you a child, so intent matters. Just don't move in a top-level sim, get a child, murder the spouse, move in another one for another lift, get a child, murder the spouse, etc. One spousal lift per generation, and as many spouses (with at least the ATTEMPT at children) as you want. However, if you marry in a spouse, even without going for a lift, you can't just use them as baby-sitting/money-getting fodder. You have to Try For Baby with each one until they succeed at getting a living child, or die in the attempt. Otherwise, you might as well just move in Bigfoot.

Actually, Bigfoot makes an excellent babysitter. If you want the babysitter, then come up with some sort of "price" to pay (such as one of the medium disadvantages, perhaps?), and move in Bigfoot, but don't let him lift a restriction, because he can't count as a spouse. Let him work, if you want, but beware - he brings home stuff to clutter your lot. So lift Business or Athletic, first, to deal with the stuff. It could be good for story-telling purposes, of course. I wonder if you could meet him on a college vacation, befriend him, gift him with a cell phone, and then invite him over once Hopelessness in ended, and move him in at that point. It would be an interesting experiment.

Frankly, I really like the drama of an apocalypse family having to deal with multiple spouses, just to get the babies you need to carry on, because pregnancy, in particular, is so darned dangerous, especially in the early generations. It adds to the drama, and I believe it also adds to the realism.

In the end, what you choose to do in such a situation is up to you. Whether you choose to allow the second spouse to lift their own restriction, while placing Spouse A's restriction back in force, or if you choose to disallow a second spouse's restriction, as long as you are consistent throughout your play-through it should be fine.
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!

Return to “Sims 2 Chat”