Finding Time for Your Legacy

Avery

Finding Time for Your Legacy

Post by Avery »

Hey guys!

Anyone have any advice for finding time to play your legacy while also working/studying full-time and just generally being busy?

I'm dying to start one but I don't want to start until I know I'll have time and that seems to be... never. :misspeak:
ZaleISBI
Team Moderator
Team Moderator
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Re: Finding Time for Your Legacy

Post by ZaleISBI »

Hey, I work a full time job, a part time job, and manage to keep in touch with all my family and friends - and I've got an Alphabetcy on Generation 13! I haven't posted in nearly a month - but that's all part of it... Just dive in! Play when you can, post when you can if you plan on sharing it with others, and realize that it is supposed to be fun!

The moment it feels like work, an obligation, or something that you're worried about getting to - take a break. And come here! Everyone will be happy to cheer you on, AND wait for you to get back into your game when you're ready. Your limited free time should be spent in ways that make you happy, if the game, challenge or legacy has stopped doing that - don't worry! Just get back to it when and if you want to!

If you're dying to start one, do it! I hope you choose to share it with others, I know I'd be happy to read!
shannonagins
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by shannonagins »

I feel like all I do is sleep and work, so I pretty much play when I can. That's why my last couple legacies died, so much was going on I never got the chance to actually play or update. Just do as you can, have fun with it. I really only play on days off, and update when I have the evenings off, which isn't often, but having time that I know I've fallen into using just for this or that, it's nice.

Basically, create a routine. On this day, at this time, you do what makes you happy, no matter what it is.
Welcome to the Trailer Park!
Updated 2/26/2016
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

If you're concerned that people will hate you for not updating frequently, put a warning right there in the main post: "I have a really busy schedule, and can only play sporadically, so updates will be rare."

Keika (The White Legacy), also had the idea of not even beginning to post until you have at least 3 chapters written, just to make sure you really were committed to that story. Sometimes, you lose interest half-way through chapter two. But if it's not grabbing YOU, and keeping YOU interested, then odds are you won't complete it, anyway, and it will become more of a chore and hassle than something enjoyable to do.

As for finding time to actually play and write it up? Well, I don't know your schedule, but for hints and tips on how to find time for a creative pursuit, check out message boards for NaNoWriMo. NaNoWriMo is an unofficial group of people who try to write a novel in one month - November. They get on forums and chat about it, and share tips for squeezing in a bit of writing time, during a rather hectic month (especially in USA, with Thanksgiving, and Christmas looming). Writing and playing are different, but I'm sure you can find some valuable tips there that would apply to your situation.

One thing to bear in mind when finding time to do a sim legacy: If you're struggling to find time to do this, make sure this is something you really want to do! If it becomes just another chore to tackle, then take a hiatus, play another neighborhood, play another game, even, but don't force yourself to work on it. This is supposed to be your fun stress-reliever, NOT another chore. You're too busy for another chore, even a fun one.

I run multiple challenges at once for that very reason. I'll be going along, having a ball, and then all of a sudden, feel bored with it, so I switch to a different one, and the interest is rekindled. If it feels like work, I don't do it.

Do NOT set a deadline for posting chapters! No matter how many fans start asking "When are you going to update?" Don't get sucked into deadlines. Deadlines suck all the joy out of it.

And again, never be afraid to take a hiatus when needed, and even post "I'm taking a hiatus on this project, so don't bug me for updates."

Good luck, and HAPPY SIMMING!
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
modelmgt
Location: Trailer Towers, or astride JoJo the Magic Circus Elephant.
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by modelmgt »

Coming from me, I set aside one day each week strictly for chaptering.

I spend each week during the week clearing off my weekends anyway, so this is a good thing for me to work towards. :thup:

Also during the week(a sure sign of obsession) Is when I spend a lot of time being excited for the next chapter-day, and keeping a lookout for story ideas. :bounce:
The Freshnfruity Uglacy II: Rebirth Chapters 1-11: Updated 9-5-2016

Freshnfruity's Livejournal
These Things Just Seem to Happen 1-9:Updated 9-1-22
Fugly Scrapbook & Polls
Radiochocolate
Sweden

Post Counts

Post by Radiochocolate »

Heather wrote:The moment it feels like work, an obligation, or something that you're worried about getting to - take a break. And come here! Everyone will be happy to cheer you on, AND wait for you to get back into your game when you're ready. Your limited free time should be spent in ways that make you happy, if the game, challenge or legacy has stopped doing that - don't worry! Just get back to it when and if you want to!
Michelle wrote:If it becomes just another chore to tackle, then take a hiatus, play another neighborhood, play another game, even, but don't force yourself to work on it. This is supposed to be your fun stress-reliever, NOT another chore.
Do NOT set a deadline for posting chapters! No matter how many fans start asking "When are you going to update?" Don't get sucked into deadlines. Deadlines suck all the joy out of it.
This is why I'm on this forum.
I've been feeling guilty about doing other stuff on my freetime instead of writing and playing. I have such commitment issues with tasks look I'm even calling them tasks now.

I am saving these quotes and bookmarking this topic.
//Currently on a non-committed hiatus from Boolprop and Sims//
Iron Values TPC | Sim!Mia | Simbia Penal Colony BaCC
Sunny's Monster Mash | Sim Scrabble: a TS2 Name Game

Return to “Sims 2 Chat”