What's going on in your Apocalypse?

Jendra

Re: What's going on in your Apocalypse?

Post by Jendra »

Okay, so I played a bit after the last time I commented, and Journalism and Adventure both got lifted. Hiram died by ghost and Dale destroyed his urn and threw it out. They adopted a kitten just to get Dale out of red. He grew up and went into Education. Amy and Andrea grew up and Amy immediately called over Gretchen and got married. Amy got a job in Music, Andrea in Intelligence and Gretchen in Science. (thus, the way to aliens would be open) Amy got pregnant and had Michonne then immediately got pregnant and had Maggie (she also turned permaplat around her marriage) The triplets life bars were weird. They were all the same, even though Dale, followed by Lori went permaplat and Merle was not. They were also going really, really fast. Dale died before I expected him too and his urn is inside (thankfully out of the way). The other two life bars increased. That's where it was until today.

Today, I played 2 sim days. The first day, Amy got pregnant again, she got fired, Gretchen got fired, Lori died inside, Michonne grew to child. The second day, Amy got a job in Athletics, Gretchen in Music, Merle died by the street as he got home and Maggie grew to a toddler. *sigh*

Listie:
1st gen Rick Grimes - founder- no lift
2nd gen Judith - Law, Hopelessness, Marisa - spouse- Law Enforcement, Carl - Culinary
3rd gen Carol - Politics, Calista - Journalism, Merle - Gamer, Lori - Business, Daryl - Adventure
4th gen Dale - in Education, Hiram - died as a teen, Andrea- in Intelligence, Amy -in Athletics, Gretchen - in Music
5th gen Michonne- child, Maggie - toddler
Pets Kim - service, Kobe - show biz Sake - no lift, Tokyo - security, Kyoto - no lift, Alegra - no lift, Tonto
goeswithoutsinging

Post by goeswithoutsinging »

My Gen 2 heir is a teenager right now. All the current residents of the household are doing pretty well, but there's VERY little for the poor heir to do- he's already maxed his logic skill with the chessboard and he can't go to school or work or otherwise skill beyond doing household chores. I've had him flirt a bunch with the paper girl although he has no chemistry with her- he could use some friends, at least, but I'm leery of letting him greet people and hang out with them because then they wind up freezing and can't thaw out and when NPCs get all blue skinned in my game (or sunburned) they won't stay on any lots until they lose their frozen/sunburned status. So essentially he can't really invite them over ever again.

He's due to grow up later this week though, so hopefully he can work on Doing Things then.
TB Asylum Challenge - Daily life with the criminally insane. Completed.
River Heights BACC - We have a boot. Ongoing.
Pharith BARKC - Classism and disastrous gardens. Ongoing.
Jendra

Post by Jendra »

If you're playing with the intelligence restrictions in place, they're allowed to come inside once your sim has become friends with them. So make friends outside, then immediately unlock the door (assuming there are no other people on the lot) and invite them in. Either hang out or use the chessboard until they thaw out. The paper girl, however, is a service sim, and you're not allowed to be friends with service sims, again under the intelligence restrictions.
Jendra

Post by Jendra »

I now fully understand why I usually just restart when it's been this long. I started the Grimes Apocalypse up again and fell into chaos. Hauntings, messes and babies, as well as threats of social workers. So the first night, practically everyone got scared at least once, many twice and the ghosts kept waking up Maggie, who, as a toddler, couldn't be scared. Beth was born and Amy immediately got pregnant for a fourth time. The next night, Carol got scared to death, right in front of one of the sinks, next to the oven. She'd been permaplat, but her urn is not :( . Dale had been one friend away from getting his next promotion before Carol's death, he now needs even more. The next day, Michonne comes home with a warning that if she doesn't do her homework, the social worker is going to come. Gretchen has a breakdown over her precious daughter getting a D. I keep trying to get Michonne's mood up enough to do homework, but by the time the next morning rolls around, she still hasn't managed to complete a single one, much less the three that were stacked up. Luckily, unbelievably, Friday was a snow day. Maggie has grown up into a child, Beth is a toddler, and first born syndrome has hit, and Penny was just born. Michonne did finish her homework, unless that last one has disappeared somewhere. I'm trying to build an extension to the house that hopefully the ghosts will ignore, but of course, it's very slow going. I played 4 days and only one of them did not have ghosts in the house. With both Carol and Lori dead in the house, it's getting pretty bad.
MaxiBuckle

Post by MaxiBuckle »

What does "TWD" stand for? The Whole Deal?

I tried an Adult Start strategy with female founders, but since I only decided she would have a child after I knew she would fail to top a career, it was too late to really strategize and in some cases, it was too late to get her pregnant.

It never occurred to me that one could simply PLAN for the second generation to lift Hopelessness, and just sock away all the money possible. Awesome.

I am learning new strategies relating to the Freetime and AL restrictions.

1) If I limit myself to one spouse option, I nearly guarantee failure because if I top a career, it will most certainly NOT occur before the third Tuesday, which is the final phone day before Elderhood. There are LOTS of walkbys with the Social Townies, so the chances one of my prospects will walk by is pretty good.

2) The Freetime careers have killing chance cards, so they are not good for an Adult Start if they can be avoided.

3) Don't waste money on walls before you know what skilling objects you will need. I had a Gamer start that had a great chance to work out if only I had not spent my computer money improving my house.

I remember Jendra once lifted Hopelessness in an Adult Start with Military and it blew me away. I would have never chosen a career that needed body skill. Well, after failing 6 tries, I gave it a shot.

I completely lucked out that my Active, Sloppy Sim had Military in the paper the first day and got a promotion his first day of work. He also loves Tinkering. I have high hopes for this one. You only need 6 friends and he has 5 so far, 4 of whom are eligible women. After he tops Body, I can buy a decent bed and he will not need to sleep as long. Fingers crossed. I am almost scared to play any more today in case I wreck it!

EDIT: Ten body will not free up the beds due to the Cheap Stuff rule, which I have as my Life of Crime restriction. Anyway, a stray destroyed my single bed, so I was able to buy a double bed for the second floor.

So much is luck, and the stars are lining up - I hope!
Last edited by MaxiBuckle on July 28th, 2018, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaxiBuckle

Post by MaxiBuckle »

Oh, thanks!

EDIT: Well, my Sim topped Military on Friday, the last possible day for a promotion. Now, if one of his ladies walk by before Monday evening, there will be a second generation.

Founder Gaughin Phoar, Fortune 3/3/8/4/7: Military

UPDATE: None of his girlfriends walked by. Also, this is a fresh install and Bella Goth is still a Townie. I had forgotten about that and never bothered to flirt with her. He elderfied alone outside next to his broken down car. Very sad.

On to Apocalypse Five.

Um, six.
nicholaplaysthesims
Steam ID: alpha_ddeathclaw
Origin ID: laaputa
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by nicholaplaysthesims »

i'm starting a brand new one because i'm a glutton for punishment!!
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

EEEEEEE! Nichola, I want to read it!

Maxibuckle - Don't give up! I know you can do it!

I have actually found the single-mother start to work out, even without lifting hopelessness. The second generation does get an advantage, after all. They can befriend future spouses, while they are young, as well as learning skills like Charisma (as toddlers, only), cleaning and mechanical. If you take the Fisherman's advantage, so you can have a beach lot, they can build creativity by making sandcastles. As teens, they can really pump up the cleaning skill by simply having multiple sinks and never repairing them. Sure, you lose out on the mechanical, but the never-ending puddles mean they can clean forever.

Adult starts are tough, but they can be done. If you have a man, you can marry late, as long as you don't elderfy first, and make sure you flirt with ALL the female (or male, if you're gay and have same-sex pregnancies) walk-bys, even if you don't like their looks or probable careers. Apocalypse founders can't be choosers. Also, don't underestimate the advantage of bringing home friends. That initial boost you get from bringing a friend home from work CAN make it possible to fall in love during the first visit, if you get busy with the flirts, because you start with a level 20, or so, lifetime relationship. I cheer when I see a work-buddy of the appropriate gender! Sure, you think - "But, Michelle, I need a spouse to lift a different career!" Yeah, so they quit their jobs and take a new one. The odds of you getting a high-level worker in a different career are really pretty bad, if you can't even ask them about their career, anyway, so don't worry about their job. Worry about the LOVE.

I love apocalypses!
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

And I started another one!

Xtreme Xavier Apocalypse, Chapter 1, where I prove that it is actually possible to succeed with an extreme adult start.
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
MaxiBuckle

Post by MaxiBuckle »

I read it and loved it! I think you could have dealt with the Networking gifts in the same manner as Spouse inventories, though. That is a minor, minor point compared to what you achieved. I am blown away. If you can share Xavier, I would love to have her in my game.
nicholaplaysthesims
Steam ID: alpha_ddeathclaw
Origin ID: laaputa
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by nicholaplaysthesims »

i'm queuing up my first updates for my new apocalypse ready for when i go away!! i'm not trying to be tooo serious since i've completed one before but really giving it a good go.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Well, I did manage to extract Xtreme Xavier, but only as an Elder. I can't figure out how to extract her as an adult. SimPE and I are not really on speaking terms, if you know what I mean. I don't understand that program at ALL.

Also, it's been years since I shared a sim, and I don't remember how to post it anywhere. Advice, please?

ETA: Service Pet is lifted! Huzzah! Senile sims may be fun to write, but it sure is a challenge to play them. Now that everyone in the household is controllable again, I don't worry so much about starvation. I can stop them from cleaning up the leftovers!
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Big update today in the Xtreme Xavier Apocalypse! I had written four chapters, but only edited them this morning.

Chapter 4 - You. Are. Platinum! - September 17, 2018
Chapter 5 - Watching the Grown-Ups Make-Out - September 17, 2018
Chapter 6 - That's the Tragedy of It - September 17, 2018
Chapter 7 - Official Timelapse Graphic - September 17, 2018

And on the 18th:
I have updated the Xtreme Xavier Apocalypse:

Chapter 8 - Decidedly Undecided - September 8, 2018
Chapter 9 - Whoopsie! - September 8, 2018
Chase
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam ID: ziekenz
United States of America

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by Chase »

Welp, guess who is starting another Apocalypse??? This time I'm doing it in an Alphabetacy (and loosely committing to a new apocalypse every 8 generations, since it took me 7 gens the first time around...). The main difficulty I think this addition will cause is the three kids per generation rule with the alphabetacy. I'm scared!

I'm going for Paranormal with my first lift. I haven't gotten it in the paper yet, but I did adopt a cat on day 2 and got it the Showbiz career! It knew 4 commands already, so it was easy to build up the relationship and adopt all in one day. I'm playing in a hood with all custom townies/NPC's/etc.

edit: lol this is going horribly. The cat was taken away, my founder still doesn't have a job, and someone who caught her "cheating" in uni stole her newspaper. Life is rough.
edit edit: I realize now pets breaks hopelessness. All I can say on behalf of this miserable founder: shrug.
edit edit edit: I got rid of all pets... founder had twins...... she's unemployed........ there's no money......... 7 days until twins are teens, assuming I can get them to do their homework once or twice. Which is definitely not a guarantee at the moment. Besides the pets, I haven't broken any rules yet, and from the outset I decided I would ignore the spare/alien kids rule (I hate that addition), so once they're adults they'll be able to lift things with their mom (who brought elixir from uni).
edit edit edit edit: I realized I misread what I thought was that "spare/alien kids" rule lmao
hello! :heartbeat:
Teresa
Site Admin
Site Admin
Steam ID: tjsmetana
Origin ID: tsmetana
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Teresa »

omg - sounds like a rough start indeed - just a normal apocalypse
Completing challenges & legacies since 2007 | Completed Stories
Chase
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by Chase »

Well... the twins were taken away. I did my absolute best to try to get them to do homework, but it was totally impossible to keep at least one need from being totally red at any given moment. My founder is now an unemployed, miserable wreck... who turns elderly in 11 days. She still has elixir, but her aspiration is in deep red with little hope.

I'M NOT GIVING UP THOUGH!

edit:
Spoiler:
after a solid day of simming, I'm out of the toughest part. I've lifted what I think are the three most debilitating restrictions: Paranormal, Service Pet, and Medical. No ghosts killing people, no senile elders, and KIDS CAN DO THEIR GODDAMN HOMEWORK AND NOT GET TAKEN AWAY BY CPS. LOVE IT
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

Good luck, Chase, sounds like you're having a blast :D (I love reading about other players' Apocalypses!)

I'm at the tail-end of another Adult Start attempt, I think my 9th or 10th. This time Culinary came up, which is difficult due to low pay and the need for a §1000 computer to get the first promotion(s). It took me over a week to get that first promotion, but later on I lucked out and got two hobby promotions. It currently stands at one week left until elderfication, and three days off to get a ton of skilling done for the last two promotions. I think his friend count is safe, but I have terrible luck with the Motives bar not being quite high enough to get promoted on the first day of a new position, so I'm not very optimistic. Still, even if I don't make it, I will come closer to succeeding than I ever have before.
Image Image
ISTJ
Chase
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by Chase »

I love reading about yours as well!!
Spoiler:
It's been a lot more chill since my first few lifts, but it's starting to get difficult again. I've been screwed over by slacker restrictions three times now, and I've had a sim on level 9 of culinary for over a week now. I'm just about to get him his last creativity skill point, but now the family friends have dropped too much. UGH He'll get it soon, but I just hope the pregnant spouse doesn't starve first, because that's a very real possibility. There are three adults right now, one is Culinary, another the pregnant one, and then the heir so far has been completely useless. I finally got him into a career I want him in (military)... I don't know if I'll say this elsewhere, but lol I regret making him heir, he's boring and ugly and not good at working. :P >.<

edit: oh god... the culinary lift did NOT come in time. My pregnant sim is due to pop at any second... he is also due to STARVE at any second, with no more food for the day. He is guaranteed to starve. Is he gonna have the baby first though??? AHGHGHGH
edit edit: HE SURVIVED!!! It seemed like his hunger bar went up a tiny bit when he gave birth??? I'm actually kind of bummed, I was here for the drama of his death lol. I tried to take a video of the clock striking midnight, thinking he was literally going to die, but it only recorded audio :( I blame Windows 10 :timebomb:
Anne
Netherlands

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Anne »

Wow, Chase, what a rollercoaster! I'm enjoying reading about you guys's Apocalypses! Not tempted to try another myself any time soon, though, lol. :lol:

Return to “Sims 2 Chat”