Round 22: Choose the Theme!

Anonymous Y/N? And pick what the next theme should be!

Yes, make the next round anonymous
26%
No, don't make the next round anonymous
3%
Beauty Parlor
12%
Bar or Club
15%
Hobby area
6%
Wedding
15%
School/Classroom
No votes
Beach/Pool
6%
Garden
9%
Farm
9%

Total votes: 34

Rosanna
Palmer's Minions
Palmer's Minions

Post Counts

Round 22: Choose the Theme!

Post by Rosanna »

Thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts on the anonymous voting process! I thought it would be fair to include a little poll for the next round, with two questions in mind.

1. Do you want Round 22 to also be anonymous? Note: If this round is anonymous it doesn't mean necessarily that every round after will also be anonymous. This is for round 22 only

and

2. What do you want the theme of the round to be? I've included some themes from the Suggestions thread here, so you, the builders, can have a bigger say in the round!

Alright, so I'm gonna attempt to combine both of these questions into one poll. You have THREE votes: one to vote yes or no to whether or not you want an anonymous round, and two votes to pick the theme you want to build this round.

If you don't care about anon or not, then feel free to just vote for your two themes. And same vice versa.

Any questions? Let me know below
Abby
Palmer's Minions
Palmer's Minions

Post Counts

Re: Round 22: Choose the Theme!

Post by Abby »

Voted!

I dont take part often, but I plan to next round. :D
Rflong7
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob

Post Counts

Post by Rflong7 »

What's the big deal of autonomous builds- what led to this? Is it felt that people are winning unfairly? I don't get it myself. I expect people to be honest because I am and vote for whatever they like most.

I also think it takes away from the chat about it.
WistfulRose

Post Counts

Post by WistfulRose »

I'm sure it didn't come from anything. Most likely it is because most things are voted for anonymously, so it was just an experiment. It isn't accusing anyone, it's just another way to do it.
Rflong7
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob

Post Counts

Post by Rflong7 »

Things donn't just start from nothing.... and voting was already anonymous, it's the pictures without the names which have changed. I was hoping for an honest answer and not a political answer. If it's none of my business, then it is.

So, something changed... and it wasn't the voting, was it? It's the submission which created drama, or the insinuation of drama.
Heather
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Steam ID: spacedoggity
Origin ID: pixeldollhouse
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Heather »

Rflong7 wrote:What's the big deal of autonomous builds- what led to this? Is it felt that people are winning unfairly? I don't get it myself. I expect people to be honest because I am and vote for whatever they like most.

I also think it takes away from the chat about it.
Rflong7 wrote:Things donn't just start from nothing.... and voting was already anonymous, it's the pictures without the names which have changed. I was hoping for an honest answer and not a political answer. If it's none of my business, then it is.

So, something changed... and it wasn't the voting, was it? It's the submission which created drama, or the insinuation of drama.
I'm not Rosanna, so I can't give an official answer, but I know that there was no drama leading up to this decision. I think she just wanted to try changing up the format, since there was a decline in member participation. Adding more chances to win, as well as introducing anonymous entry submission seems to have sparked some more interest in the competition, so if that was her intention I think she did a splendid job. :)
Rflong7
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob

Post Counts

Post by Rflong7 »

Ah, figured you all talked and might know. :)

So, the last one with 3 winners was a fluke but now it's better because 1 time it got 2? Normally I don't participate much and I don't know what went on. I was curious and not confrontational but it feels like there was a reason.

I'm not a storyteller, a wonderful picture taker, nor a creative signature maker, but the one thing I do okay is build... and don't take this the wrong way but I was hoping for a way to shine just a tiny bit on this site. Now it's being anonymous, I see no reason to try.

I really wouldn't have minded at all, I didn't vote for nor against this, but a reason why sounded reasonable to me.

Happy Simming. :unicorn:
Heather
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Steam ID: spacedoggity
Origin ID: pixeldollhouse
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Heather »

Rflong7 wrote:So, the last one with 3 winners was a fluke but now it's better because 1 time it got 2? Normally I don't participate much and I don't know what went on. I was curious and not confrontational but it feels like there was a reason.
I'm not sure what you mean by this? If there is a tie in the polls, the medal will always be awarded to each member in the tie. It is technically possible for every round to have multiple winners.

However, since participation has started to decline, the number of possible winners has been boosted, to encourage more members to try making an entry. The number of winners for the round depends on how many entries the round gets. For example, 10 entries means 3 winners. Rosanna announces whenever there will be an additional winner in the chat thread for the competition. Round 20 reached 10 entries, which was why 3 winners were selected. It was not a fluke.

Edit: and to address the rest of your comment:
Rflong7 wrote:I'm not a storyteller, a wonderful picture taker, nor a creative signature maker, but the one thing I do okay is build... and don't take this the wrong way but I was hoping for a way to shine just a tiny bit on this site. Now it's being anonymous, I see no reason to try.
Maybe you misunderstood how the voting works; the winners will still be announced at the end of the round, so it's still possible to receive recognition for your build! I'm not sure if Rosanna is planning to reveal the names behind the entries, but you're more than welcome to yourself, after the voting has ended. :)

Also, there are other ways to shine with your building! The creations section can get a bit empty round here, we'd love for you (and everyone else) to share your lots, sims, recolours, etc! I have a thread for my houses, there's nothing stopping you for making one for yourself. :)
Rosanna
Palmer's Minions
Palmer's Minions

Post Counts

Post by Rosanna »

Rflong,

There was honestly no drama or insinuation of drama or anything of the sort. Nobody every complained that they didn't win because people were voting for their friends or anything (at least not that I know of).

When I first brought up the suggestion of doing blind entries, people were supportive of testing out the idea. That's all it was - a test. Although we would like to think that, like you, all people only consider the entries themselves when voting, sometimes, even subconsciously, seeing the name of the user can have an impact on the vote. Maybe someone wants to support their friend. Or, maybe, as WistfulRose mentioned, someone want to vote for someone who hasn't won before. No, this doesn't happen to everyone, and no it doesn't happen every time. But it probably does occur once in awhile. And so that's why I thought it would be interesting to try it out.

There was no big argument or anything that sparked this. It was just a general thought that, not only here but everywhere, maybe seeing a name can influence the vote. So hey, let's just try it out. Same thing with voting for the next round. Nobody complained that they weren't getting a say in the round theme, I just had the idea of letting people vote. That was the reasoning behind both decisions. The ideas just popped into my head so I acted on them.

No, I wouldn't consider the last 3 winners a fluke. Just because the entries weren't anonymous doesn't mean that the votes weren't necessarily deserved. Because, like you said, many people do vote for the entries they think are the best. Doing blind entries is just encouraging all voters to do that.

I'm not sure what you mean by "but now it's better because 1 time it got 2?". If you mean the number of winners, that's decided by how many entries there are. As Heather said, this was done to boost participation. Going forward, each round will state that 1-5 entries will yield 1 winner, 6-9 will have 2 winners, and more than 10 entries means 3 winners

And as for recognition, the builders of each entry will be announced when the poll closes.

I hope that answers your questions

Return to “Let's Build it”