Broken Pictures

klmnz
New Zealand

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Broken Pictures

Post by klmnz »

I'm not sure if this is the right forum as my question is about the Sims Legacy POSTS, rather than the game itself. I couldn't find the right spot for this, so sorry if I got it wrong!

I'm using Imgur to host my Sims 4 screenies and Dreamwidth for the posts themselves. Just in the last couple of days I wrote a new post on Dreamwidth, linking pictures from Imgur into the post as usual. But the entire post showed broken images. Hmm, I thought, maybe something borked with that latest Imgur album. But then I dug further and several other posts in Gen 2 now have broken images, and almost every Gen1 post has broken images. Usually not the whole post, but at least some in every post.

I'm infuriated! Broken images kills a legacy story, and I can't figure out why posts that were fine before have suddenly gone haywire. Is it a Dreamwidth issue, or an Imgur issue? Will it right itself in time or are all my posts permanently borked? I'm looking at having to reupload hundreds of images to a different hosting site, and editing around 20 posts, to fix it if the break is permanent. Anyone else have this happen to them? Any advice or suggestions?
klmnz
New Zealand

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Re: Broken Pictures RESOLVED

Post by klmnz »

OKAY. Some googling and trial and error has made it clear this is a problem with imgur. I have two choices: go through every post to find the broken images and alter the url (thank you reddit users who found this workaround - basically adding an "i" to every imgur url suddenly causes the pictures to load fine). Or rehost all the images somewhere else, and redo all images in every post.

Because these problems with imgur are happening frequently enough for people to have developed browser extensions trying to fix them, I am ditching imgur altogether. Although it's heaps slower to use I think I am switching to photobucket, as I've never had broken images from them. I'm seriously annoyed with imgur though - apparently the broken picture links is a major issue happening at the staff end when they change settings for linking to certain websites or types of sites. It's massively gamebreaking for things like legacies and I won't ever be using them for image hosting again. I now have to go back through 25 legacy posts and redo every single image >=/

Staff feel free to remove this now it's resolved, if you want - I'll leave it here in case someone else finds it useful (my advice is avoid imgur like the plague, from what I'm finding - with posts as early as 2011 and as recent as Jan 2016 - is this issue recurs frequently and without warning).

Return to “Sims 4 Help!”