Dine Out vs Outdoor Retreat: which to buy?

Which Game Pack should I buy?

Poll ended at February 12th, 2019, 6:27 pm

Dine Out
60%
Outdoor Retreat
40%
Neither
No votes

Total votes : 5

Dine Out vs Outdoor Retreat: which to buy?

Postby onedayrobots » February 6th, 2019, 6:27 pm

I've made a little extra money on eBay sales (which I use as my "fun money"), so I'm thinking about buying a Game Pack during the current sale. I've narrowed my choices down to Dine Out and Outdoor Retreat, and thought I'd ask for more opinions before buying one.

My pros & cons, based on what I've seen on Origin and the Sims VIP guides:

CAS stuff: OR has more, for sure, but overall I like DO's offerings better. That said, there are a number of OR things I really like.
Buy/build mode: DO's seem to be much more multipurpose to me. I was especially pleased by how it looks like it adds some great new artwork to the game. That said, OR adds some really cool things--I especially like the look of tents, the fire pit, and the horseshoes game.
Experience features: The dining out experience looks really well done to me--I love the little touches, like drawing on place mats and taking pictures of the food. I did think it looks like OR adds more everyday gameplay stuff--I get envious every time I see sims in other stories stargazing or cloud watching, I love the look of the herbalism skill, and since my current Matriarch is making money by woodworking I love the idea of giving her more things to make.
Food: FOOD. I love packs that add more food to the game, so both work for this!
Cons: I'm not really one for running businesses or for taking my sims on trips, so I worry that I'd be missing out on a big aspect of both packs.

I pretty much only play family-based gameplay: right now I'm working on a 100 baby challenge, and otherwise I default to legacies.

Which would you recommend?
The Morgan Matriarchy (A 100 Baby Challenge)
onedayrobots

Medals: 1
2019 Valentine Events (1)
Origin ID: onedayrobots

Re: Dine Out vs Outdoor Retreat: which to buy?

Postby Heather » February 6th, 2019, 10:38 pm

I have and enjoy both, but DO would probably be my pick of the two. :) I'm not really one for lots of 'run a business' or 'take a vacation' gameplay either, so I find that I use restaurants more because I can just send my sims there for date nights/club meetings, etc. Also, if you have City Living, which I believe adds the food critic career track, you can now send your sim to actual restaurants to write their reviews and stuff!

As for the furniture/CAS stuff, I find the DO furniture is slightly more versatile because you could use some of it just in regular kitchens/other types of community lots. The clothes are probably a tie, DO has some nice casual stuff, but OR adds some much needed footwear variety, plus the clothes are very well suited for making outdoors-y looking sims.
Heather
Human Dumpster Fire
Staff Moderator

Medals: 65
Golden Plumbob 2016 (1) Golden Plumbob 2017 (1) Golden Plumbob 2018 (1) The Rosanna Award (1) Boolprop Wacky Challenge (1) Monster Mash (1) Story of the Month (1) Completed a Challenge! (1) Boolprop NTM 9 Winner (1)
Boolprop NTM 11 Participant (1) Boolprop NTM 12 Participant (1) 2016 Summer Screenshot (1) Let's Build It Participation (1) Bronze SimNaNoWriMo Award 2016 (1) Halloween Candy (1) Halloween Zombie (1) Thanksgiving Turkey (1) 2015 Holiday Events (1)
2015 Christmas Gift Exchange (1) 2016 Valentine Events (1) 2016 Easter Events (1) Halloween 2016 (1) 2016 Holiday Events (1) 2017 Valentine Events (1) 2017 Halloween Events (1) 2017 Halloween Events - Cat (1) 2017 Pumpkin Hunt (1)
2017 Pumpkin Hunt - Gold (1) 2017 Xmas Events (1) 2018 Pick a Treat - Black Cat (1) 2015 Birthday Toast (1) 2015 Birthday Party Hat (1) 2015 Birthday Balloon (1) 12th Birthday Event (1) Pin the Plumbob (1) Happy Birthday (1)
Artwork (1) Teresa's Troll (1) Great Migration of 2014 (1) I Supported Boolprop! (1) Creator's Creations (1) Pride (1) Little Ball of Fur (1) There was one Guitar (1) The Legend of (1)
Moustache Love (1) Drinks on the House (1) Bubbles! (1) One Eye to Rule Them All (1) I Scream for Ice Cream (1) A Field of Red Poppies (1) Treasure Chest (1) Singing in the Rain (1) Gary? (1)
Ice Cream Float (1) Bolt of Lightning (1) Shooting Star (1) Four Leaves of Clover (1) Snap, Crackle, Pop (1) Hey Cupcake (1) Rubik's Cube (1) Canada (1) 100 Posts (1)
500 Posts (1) 1000 Posts (1)
Steam ID: spacedoggity
Origin ID: pixeldollhouse

Postby onedayrobots » February 9th, 2019, 1:37 am

Heather wrote:I have and enjoy both, but DO would probably be my pick of the two. :) I'm not really one for lots of 'run a business' or 'take a vacation' gameplay either, so I find that I use restaurants more because I can just send my sims there for date nights/club meetings, etc. Also, if you have City Living, which I believe adds the food critic career track, you can now send your sim to actual restaurants to write their reviews and stuff!

As for the furniture/CAS stuff, I find the DO furniture is slightly more versatile because you could use some of it just in regular kitchens/other types of community lots. The clothes are probably a tie, DO has some nice casual stuff, but OR adds some much needed footwear variety, plus the clothes are very well suited for making outdoors-y looking sims.

Ooh thanks for your advice! Yeah, I was thinking the same thing for DO re: sending sims to restaurants. I don't have City Living yet. One day. ;; It's the always the bridesmaid of expansion packs for me, haha!
onedayrobots

Postby jcampbell » February 10th, 2019, 12:43 pm

Not sure if you made your purchase yet or not but I would vote for OR but that's because I like being able to take vacations and I absolutely love camping in RL so that would be my number one pick from the two.

New plants, new interaction, new world to visit and explore ... ^^

DO ... you get a million annoying phone calls to go out and eat :lol:
Image Image Image
ImageImage Image
jcampbell
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob

Medals: 41
Golden Plumbob 2018 (1) Boolprop Wacky Challenge (1) Story of the Month (1) Completed a Challenge! (1) Boolprop NTM 12 Participant (1) 2017 Egg Hunt (1) 2017 Golden Egg (1) Gold SimNaNoWriMo Award 2017 (1) Gold SimNaNoWriMo Award 2018 (1)
2017 Halloween Events (1) 2017 Pumpkin Hunt (1) 2017 Pumpkin Hunt - Gold (1) 2017 Snowman Hunt (1) 2017 Snowman Hunt - Gold (1) 2017 Xmas Events (1) 2017 Xmas Events - Advent (1) 2017 Xmas Events-Secret Santa (1) 2018 Halloween Events (1)
2018 Bat Hunt (1) 2018 Bat Hunt - Gold (1) 2018 Pick a Treat - Cat (1) 2018 Pick a Treat - Black Cat (1) 2018 Bouble Bingo (1) 2018 Xmas Events (1) 2018 Xmas Events - Advent (1) 2019 Valentine Events (1) 2019 Valentine Bingo (1)
Birthday Scrabble (1) Pick A Gift (1) Happy Birthday (1) Pride (1) Watermelon Bliss (1) Little Ball of Fur (1) There was one Guitar (1) Gary? (1) Four Leaves of Clover (1)
I Want Candy~ (1) Rubik's Cube (1) Jolly Roger (1) 100 Posts (1) 500 Posts (1)

Postby onedayrobots » February 12th, 2019, 7:35 pm

jcampbell wrote:Not sure if you made your purchase yet or not but I would vote for OR but that's because I like being able to take vacations and I absolutely love camping in RL so that would be my number one pick from the two.

New plants, new interaction, new world to visit and explore ... ^^

DO ... you get a million annoying phone calls to go out and eat :lol:

Cries I actually did go ahead and buy DO! I really want to add OR to my game further down the line, though. I'm really tempted to try my hand at a Drifter challenge one of these days, and I feel like having OR would be really good for that, based on the little I know about it so far.
onedayrobots

Return to Sims 4 Expansion Packs