Story Progression

Abby
Palmer's Minions
Palmer's Minions

Post Counts

Story Progression

Post by Abby »

Okay, so ive just played a full generation of my legacy, and noticed theres absolutley no children or teens about in the neighborhood atall.
I then went and researched online and found that apparantly theres no story progression atall, so sims wont marry or have babies unless we make them.
Is this true? What has everyone else found in their game?

This is gonna be a pain, my current generation are now struggling to find spouses because theres no one new being born!!

:no:
Teresa
Site Admin
Site Admin
Steam ID: tjsmetana
Origin ID: tsmetana
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Re: Story Progression

Post by Teresa »

Yes I have experienced the same thing. There isn't story progression but supposedly the fame will create additional households. By the 3rd generation all of the original families were dead and gone. The houses were empty but there were many families "not in game". This apparently just means they don't have homes like the homeless NPCs from previous games.

I believe if you turn off aging for inactive households it would be like sims 2 but I haven't tried that
Completing challenges & legacies since 2007 | Completed Stories
DionysusDreams

Post by DionysusDreams »

Yeah, I was talking to someone on Tumblr the other day and they mentioned something's wrong with townie generation. They said that they weren't getting enough children in their neighbourhood and the majority of their town were elders. To help with this, they've started periodically introducing new, randomly chosen families (without looking at traits or anything since it's for a legacy) from the gallery, with children/teens especially, and putting them into an empty lot in their hood then evicting them so they're in the Not In World section. Those sims should then randomly show up in your town.

It's definitely another case of going 2 steps forward and 1 step back since this is how it is in TS2 even though it was improved upon in TS3. Pretty disappointing and frustrating.
demondragonking

Post by demondragonking »

I SUSPECT, and this is just me without any iota of solid proof here, that any kind of Story Progression that happens in The Sims 4 will come in an EP rather than an update/patch. Why do I think this? Mainly because if the for now fictional Story Progression had half the things in it that Twallan's mod had in it for The Sims 3, they could just about base an entire EP around it. Why hand out something for free when they have people already asking for it and they can make a profit out of it? Still I wouldn't be all THAT irritated in having to go into established houses to get family lines to continue, but the last time I tried doing that my founder AND his kid utterly vanished from that save after I left their lot, leaving his wife in their house solo. grr.
Rhea
Palmer's Minions
Palmer's Minions

Post Counts

Post by Rhea »

Yep, I have a neighborhood full of elders right now. For my legacy, to bring in random genetics, I bring them in a spouse from the gallery. I select the most recent gallery uploaded sims and download the most recent of the gender I am looking for. This keeps things random.
DionysusDreams

Post by DionysusDreams »

That sounds like a good idea as well, Rhea. I'll need to start doing that soon.

I find this whole thing really disappointing. I think it's either like you said, demondragonking, and they intentionally left story progression out because they know people want it now thanks to TS3 and Twallan or they didn't even think it was important enough to include. Or it's a massive bug but that's unlikely as I'm sure it would've been discovered before release, surely.

In any case, I hope it gets fixed soon, either by Maxis themselves or by some very talented people that we have in the sims community.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Yeh I realised story progression was gone. I'm a little disappointed I always enjoyed marrying sims off and then seeing their offspring crop up. Isn't there an option though to constantly populate empty houses or doesn't it work?
demondragonking

Post by demondragonking »

Moggy wrote:Yeh I realised story progression was gone. I'm a little disappointed I always enjoyed marrying sims off and then seeing their offspring crop up. Isn't there an option though to constantly populate empty houses or doesn't it work?
That option uses families and sims from sims 'not in world' AKA the townies to fill in the houses and homes. It doesn't continue family lines, sadly.
Rhea
Palmer's Minions
Palmer's Minions

Post Counts

Post by Rhea »

I can really see them bringing in a generations style expansion pack that would introduce the things like story progression in other families and toddlers.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Also I very much dislike that family trees are gone and when they get married or kids are born they don't change the last names to the suitable one though I guess I could understand if you want a hyphenated name ect. Seriously though my family trees are gone. There was nothing more satisfying then to look at the tree and see it grow in a few generations. I really hope we get an expansion of these thing cause I will miss them a lot!
LostInReverie

Post Counts

Post by LostInReverie »

Moggy wrote:Also I very much dislike that family trees are gone and when they get married or kids are born they don't change the last names to the suitable one though I guess I could understand if you want a hyphenated name ect. Seriously though my family trees are gone. There was nothing more satisfying then to look at the tree and see it grow in a few generations. I really hope we get an expansion of these thing cause I will miss them a lot!
Yeah, I miss family trees. I thought it was super weird when my sims got married, and neither one of them changed their names. Oh well.
Sims 4 Legacies
The Disney LegacyThe Keller Random Legacy
Sims 3 Legacies
Coming soon.
Rhea
Palmer's Minions
Palmer's Minions

Post Counts

Post by Rhea »

Ugh, I thought I was just missing family trees somewhere. That sucks that they're gone.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Townies keep disappearing on me and it's getting really annoying! I finally found a teen Sim of the opposite sex and next time I load my save she is gone I cannot find her in the manage households she seemingly got deleted. Also I have seen inside the manage households empty households just sitting there which I deleted. They need to do a patch on Story Progression or an expansion that fixes this stuff because this is worse then toddlers, pools or ghosts. The story progression in Sims 4 the more I play is just poorly put together and is the most glaring flaw at the moment. When I go back to Sims 3 I could hardly care less about the open world ect the thing that stands out is that the story progression is fleshed out and works!
fiordilago

Post by fiordilago »

Do they really not change their name when they get married? I love this!!! In my country women don't change their surname when they get married, and I find it so weird in TS3 (and a bit sexist, too)! I look forward to a MAC version of TS4!
lumasong

Post Counts

Post by lumasong »

They really don't. I prefer to be traditional and it bugs me that I can't, but I can definitely understand that not everyone wants the same thing. I find it weird that there's no OPTION, though. I can't even change her name another way.

On another subject, I had moved out a YA and his new wife while the wife is pregnant. After five days or so I got impatient (his father wants 4 grandkids and isn't getting any younger) so I went to their house to check, and she immediately went into labor. Was I just impatient or will they not give birth if I'm not there? I went through the birth then got her pregnant again to test it, but I was really hoping I could get a few cousins this way. Frustrating.
Lorsty

Post by Lorsty »

@lumasong

You can use a cheat to change their names (TestingCheats on -> cas.fulleditmode) or you may use a mod like Change Sim Name or Gender by scrumbumbo.
Abby
Palmer's Minions
Palmer's Minions

Post Counts

Post by Abby »

lumasong wrote:They really don't. I prefer to be traditional and it bugs me that I can't, but I can definitely understand that not everyone wants the same thing. I find it weird that there's no OPTION, though. I can't even change her name another way.

On another subject, I had moved out a YA and his new wife while the wife is pregnant. After five days or so I got impatient (his father wants 4 grandkids and isn't getting any younger) so I went to their house to check, and she immediately went into labor. Was I just impatient or will they not give birth if I'm not there? I went through the birth then got her pregnant again to test it, but I was really hoping I could get a few cousins this way. Frustrating.

Hhmmm, that is strange. Any sim ive gotten pregnant then left them on their own have given birth on their own. Maybe it was a coincidence? Or a glitch?
lumasong

Post Counts

Post by lumasong »

Well, the second baby appeared on its own, so maybe I was just impatient and had really good timing to get her while in labor.

Return to “Sims 4 Chat”