Game Modification- Why Do We Do It?

PrinceSarah

Game Modification- Why Do We Do It?

Post by PrinceSarah »

It's been a while, Boolprop.

Since I last logged on I've started my Master's degree, which is terrifying. But I'm writing an essay on The Sims and modding culture in terms of online participation and I was interested in hearing the reason why we choose to mod our games. What is it about custom content that we enjoy the most?
candiedgala
Origin ID: ciaramei

Post Counts

Re: Game Modification- Why Do We Do It?

Post by candiedgala »

Game modification is just a computer medium to do all the creative things that people did before computers. It has the added benefit of costing less money, taking up less space and using non-destructable resources. In that way it is more accessible than painting or sewing, for example.

Sims, neighborhood saves, fashion are all an expression of ourselves that we share with others in the hope that they will experience something, too. In that case we bring in mods to help us execute our artistic vision. In the same way an artist uses a new palette, brush or medium to execute the vision that he/she has.

It's healthy to play. Even as adults it's how we explore our inner and outer worlds. Kids tell fiction and non-fiction stories with dolls. Adults do the same with The Sims or they writes books or poetry. Some people make mods just like many people enjoy taking things apart and putting them back together, like in mechanics.

Many people enjoy collecting and you can collect custom content. You won't be called a hoarder because it doesn't use up physical space and or cost any money. Why do people collect? https://www.2knowmyself.com/Why_do_peop ... ect_things

Being part of a community that shares your interests in art or play is part of forming self-identity. We do it simply to define ourselves and where we fit in with the world at large. We also do it for fellowship, support and recognition. Just like in real life, having a big collection, making new inventions, or creating art that people can relate with are routes to becoming a valued community member which is something that we all strive to do, in real life as well.
Lazurite

Re: Game Modification- Why Do We Do It?

Post by Lazurite »

Yeesh, that was deep. I just modify the game because I want more stuff.

Return to “Sims 4 Chat”