Jesslb429
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob
Location: Miles past sanity and a few feet from full blown loon
United States of America

Post Counts

Parenthood, Anyone?

Post by Jesslb429 »

Again, in my unending quest to find love TS4, I have purchased Parenthood.

So...has anyone played it yet?

I know it's brand spanking new, but it's been out 24hrs. I had to wait to get it because I had no money and just got paid. I was wondering if anyone whose played had any first impressions or what they thought.
ImageImageImageImageImage
26 Little Failures The Zany Zanes: An OWBC{Completed}
"Vastly complex while still being a little stupid"
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Re: Parenthood, Anyone?

Post by Ani-Mei »

I am still getting used to Sims 4, my ex has the Origin account where it's all digitally stored. He said I could use it myself since he won't anymore but it's also linked to his credit card so I can't get them myself. One thing I hate about digital downloads, can't access it from another Origin account on the same computer. Sounds like it's the Generations of Sims 4 to me so I expect similar, if not the same mechanics and occult that it had for Sims 3.
Teresa
Site Admin
Site Admin
Steam ID: tjsmetana
Origin ID: tsmetana
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Teresa »

I have it and am liking it. It adds depth to the game that impacts how I play. And maybe I won't hate children and teens so much now (those stages were always boring to me)
Completing challenges & legacies since 2007 | Completed Stories
Livvielove
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam ID: Aradyn
Origin ID: LivvieLoveSims

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by Livvielove »

Well I did the same thing (well it was gifted to me by the lovely mpart) Jess. I loved the concepts behind it and thought "maybe this is how I'll love the Sims 4."

Take everything I say with a grain of salt because I have very little (re:none) love for the Sims 4. Further disclaimer is I have/see nothing wrong with anyone who enjoys it - it's just not my type of game at all.

I booted up the Sims 4 to play with parenthood and I tried to go into it as positively as I could, that being said it did not further my interest even slightly into the Sims 4. I made my Sim, I sat her down and went after Johnny Zest because I knew he was single from all the stories I've read and the few times I've played. I also knew he wasn't horrible looking and he had decent traits. Win-Win. I set my Sim down in the same neighborhood (the house nextdoor) and was a little peeved at having to go through a loading screen to visit his house.
BUT I remembered I was doing this positively so I kept playing and did my usual - got them hitched at hyper-speed, went home and knocked up my original Sim and they went to bed. Next morning she does the pregnancy test, *poof* pregnant. She rushes down to tell him. They get excited. I start prepping to send Johnny to work (as an Entertainer). He's in a playful mood. He comes upstairs, autonomously tells a joke to his new wife and then falls over dead. It's not even been a day and he just fell over dead from laughter. You think my Sim would be heartbroken? But no, she's not. She cries at first for the interaction, pleads with the Grim Reapers (who rejected her plea) and then goes back to laughing, giggling, smiling and looking normal.
She did get sad for a little, but that seemed to go away really fast.
EITHER WAY I knew that these were things about the Sims 4 I didn't like, but I was STILL trying to remain positive. I really wanted to get into this game because I loved some of the ideas for expansions/game/stuff packs they've had, and I know the game is considered "more stable" than the Sims 3. The baby finally comes along and I wait out the cradle phase. I'm still not a big fan of the fact that the babies are essentially a cradle, but again I've moved on.
My Sim was rapidly skilling up in the parenting skill.
OH by the way, in the time it took her to give birth she had already found another husband (because I hadn't realized exactly HOW EASY it would be to bring back Johnny :roll: ). I got her pregnant right away and sure enough that night Johnny came out. I figured THIS would be a great time for personality... and with a single interaction suddenly he's back in the household and there's no tension or weirdness about the fact that there's another husband at play - again, not really related to parenthood, just my gripe about the Sims 4 in general and I SHOVED IT AWAY because I really did want to like this. So I told myself they were just a special family who got along exceptionally well all things considered.
Not to mention J the 3rd or something that she married had commitment issues so I figured their relationship may not last anyways.
Hey! I'm all about drama, right? I can dig it!
So I finally get to the Toddler stage with the first child and... it had some really cute moments. I decided to toss myself straight at Parenthood and had my mother sim teach her to say "please and thank you" to which she promptly got an angry moodlet saying "No I will not learn please and I will not learn thank you" in a way that made me giggle.
She was angry so I figured something would happen, but it didn't.
I figured it was a one-off yet... this toddler never did anything fun or unusual. There were a lot of cute actions I could TELL her to do to then discipline her for... and I did once or twice. I really liked that the disciplining system seemed very, very detailed... yet at the same point all of the interacts were very same-y (in my opinion).
At the end of the day all of my Sims still felt the same to me.

Once again, I totally respect everyone who loves this game and I say more power to you! My personal opinion is that I don't feel like the Sims do anything unpredictable. Their whims are all interchangeable and because their personalities rely so heavily on their emotions (which are SO, SO easy to influence) they just feel mechanical and grindy.
I LOVE the ideas and concepts behind some of the features of Parenthood, but it doesn't change that the core of the Sims 4 is just not my game and not something I find interesting. At this point I think it's safe to say that I'm probably never going to be invested in the Sims 4 and that's ok... and some people will NEVER return to the Sims 2 or 3 and that's perfectly ok... but if you're like me and:
1) You loved the Sims 3 and felt it was a really good game despite it's flaws.
2) Didn't like how mechanical the Sims 4 felt.
3) Wasn't a fan of the changes they made in the Sims 4
Then I don't think parenthood will change your mind. Even with the best, most open-minded intentions I still walked away with no real desire to pick the game up again. I got an interesting story out of my Sims 4 experience (clearly) and while I didn't walk away THRILLED with the game or HATING it even more; it was really more neutral and a "meh" experience.
Will I try again? Maybe.
Do I think I'll feel differently? It's... possible but unlikely.

LONG WINDED RESPONSE SHORTENED: Parenthood was a good idea but the Sims 4 is just not for me.
jcampbell
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by jcampbell »

:lol: Livvielove I enjoyed reading your response to the game!

I am someone that enjoys the sims 4. It is missing a LOT of the things I loved about TS3 :fisty: however, I do enjoying playing it. I have found myself getting really bored of the game lately and not wanting to play as much so I was excited to have some new gameplay and content. So I did get the parenthood pack and I have a really large family that I am playing with. There are five children and one toddler. With the toddler the gamepack doesn't really change much about them imo but with the children there is so much more gameplay and depth to them. I would suggest that if you want to try out the feel of the game pack them you should play a family with children and teens to test it out.

When I first fired up the game after install I made a new couple and decided I would start a whole new file to try it out. After the baby was born I aged her up to a toddler and started with what parenting I could. Like I previously said there wasn't much difference. After about two hours I felt frustrated and turned the game off thinking that I just purchased a lame GP. But the next day I wanted to play with my legacy family ... the huge one ... and that is when all the fun started! I am not sure that this GP will give you a love for the game if you already don't like it but it does add a lot more depth to the sims. I don't know how this will affect all the legacy children once they are grown but I am looking forward to finding out. It had definitely renewed my interest in playing my large family.

I hope this helps you a little :drinks:

Return to “Sims 4 Chat”