Is it just MY game, or does yours do it, too?

MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Is it just MY game, or does yours do it, too?

Post by MichelleCYoung »

I was reading Sims 4 stories, and finally broke down and started playing it again. I haven't for a year, because the computer was not cooperating. Now that I've had to build it up from scratch again, I loaded up my Origin, and got Sims 4 going.

And I am SOOOO frustrated! I give my sims a command, and they'll literally stand there for AN HOUR before they do it! And every time I send them to eat. I mean EVERY time. They go to the platter and stand there for 15 minutes, then grab a plate and stand there for fifteen minutes, and then put the plate on the table, and stand there for THIRTY minutes, before they finally sit down and eat. And then, inevitably, about half-way through the meal, they forget to eat, and just sit there, zoned out.

Is it just my game, or is it actually programmed to be that way? If it's just the way the game is, I think I don't want to deal with it, any more. I actually started to swear at the sim, before I realized I could just turn it off.
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Abby
Palmer's Minions
Palmer's Minions

Post Counts

Re: Is it just MY game, or does yours do it, too?

Post by Abby »

Hmmm, sometimes my sims do just stand there for ages before they do the command I give them but its not every time I dont think... I'll keep an eye out when I next play, but it definitley happens to me too!
cowplant

Post Counts

Post by cowplant »

Hapens to me too sometimes.
If you use mods that add new game mechanics, that could be it. My game pretty much ceased doing so when I deleted mods like pottery. It has also stopped random reset jumps mostly, but Sims has always been prone to bugs, so I can't guarantee that sorting out stuff from your mods folder will help.
~ Winner of the Golden Plumbbobs in the categories of ~
Spoiler:
ImageImage
Find me on:
[Tumblr] ~ [Twitch] ~ [Wordpress] ~ [Youtube]
[The Viridi (Video) Chronicles]
My little lazy legacy
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

I play absolutely vanilla in Sims 4.
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Taube
Origin ID: 22Taube

Completed Challenges

Post Counts

Post by Taube »

This very rarely happens to me - more like an occasional game hiccup if a lot is going on - and the only times when it's been as much of a problem for me as you describe, it's been mod conflicts or non-updated mods. You could try repairing your game. Back when I played without mods, the game itself would sometimes get bugs, and repairing it through Origin often helped me. I know that's not terribly helpful, but to just answer your question, that is not how my game runs. I hope you can find a way to play that is enjoyable. That would drive me crazy, too.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Repair the game through Origin? Thanks! I'll have to try that.

Ummm, How do you do that, please?
Taube
Origin ID: 22Taube

Completed Challenges

Post Counts

Post by Taube »

Go into your games in Origin, right click on The Sims 4, and select "Repair game." :) I used to have an occasional bug where they couldn't get anything but quick meals from the fridge, and repairing always fixed it until they eventually went in and did away with whatever was causing that in the first place, many patches ago. I think it's supposed to do essentially what we do by deleting caches and such - get rid of bad files, put things in their right places if they've escaped, etc. I hope it helps!
cowplant

Post Counts

Post by cowplant »

It could also be a problem of your neighborhood. I started playing my actual one some time ago, and slowly, the reset-errors and standing-arounds are returning.
I have no idea how to fix that though.
~ Winner of the Golden Plumbbobs in the categories of ~
Spoiler:
ImageImage
Find me on:
[Tumblr] ~ [Twitch] ~ [Wordpress] ~ [Youtube]
[The Viridi (Video) Chronicles]
My little lazy legacy
rubysapphire

Post Counts

Post by rubysapphire »

MichelleCYoung wrote:I was reading Sims 4 stories, and finally broke down and started playing it again. I haven't for a year, because the computer was not cooperating. Now that I've had to build it up from scratch again, I loaded up my Origin, and got Sims 4 going.

And I am SOOOO frustrated! I give my sims a command, and they'll literally stand there for AN HOUR before they do it! And every time I send them to eat. I mean EVERY time. They go to the platter and stand there for 15 minutes, then grab a plate and stand there for fifteen minutes, and then put the plate on the table, and stand there for THIRTY minutes, before they finally sit down and eat. And then, inevitably, about half-way through the meal, they forget to eat, and just sit there, zoned out.

Is it just my game, or is it actually programmed to be that way? If it's just the way the game is, I think I don't want to deal with it, any more. I actually started to swear at the sim, before I realized I could just turn it off.
Oh geez! That's exactly what happened in my game when my driver/motherboard were going bad! My bf told me and we got it fixed. Your case could be different though.
The Chronicles of Lilith Anthel (FFXIV)

https://sarastesims.tk/

If you like sim stories that combine challenges with celebrities and Final Fantasy references sprinkled throughout, than this is the story for you-even if you don't. Special thanks to all the simmers who uploaded your creations on Origin! A few sims and buildings are my creations.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

I think it is different, because the exact same thing happens on both my Windows laptop and on my Mac desktop. I tried the "repair game" trick, above, but I haven't had a chance to play-test it, yet. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

Thanks for all the help!
MeadowThayerr
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob
Steam ID: Crimetape
Origin ID: MeadowThayerr
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by MeadowThayerr »

From what I've read online, this is a very common issue, yet for some reason EA isn't fixing it.

If you notice that they're 'hung', pause the game. Sometimes you have to leave it paused for a while, then put it on high speed, then pause it again. But usually after one or two pauses, the game catches up after a minute or so. :)
Image Image Image
Hello there, I'm Haleigh!
It's MeadowThayerr with 2 Rs because someone beat me to the normal way.

STORIES | TWITCH

Sims 4
The Deepwater ISBI | The Disney Name Game | The Cien Baby Challenge | Nook's Legacy
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

Of course EA isn't fixing it. That's what the modding community is for, right? To fix the things EA breaks?

I LOVE the Sims, and the whole franchise. I just wish that it was another company in charge of it, because Axis is just plain lazy. They even re-break things (Sims 2 primping, for example), after fixing it in a patch, then breaking it again in the next one.
Bokavoy

Post Counts

Post by Bokavoy »

This happens to me too. I wish that Eaxis would try and fix it. I have been having this problem since the game came out.
MeadowThayerr
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob
Steam ID: Crimetape
Origin ID: MeadowThayerr
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by MeadowThayerr »

Yeah, it's so frustrating, and I don't think there's a mod out there yet to fix it which is unfortunate :( I've had the problem since day one. Though, I've noticed that brand new saves tend to work well for a while but then break. When I made my save for my Legacy all was great but around generation three/four? it started doing it again :(
Image Image Image
Hello there, I'm Haleigh!
It's MeadowThayerr with 2 Rs because someone beat me to the normal way.

STORIES | TWITCH

Sims 4
The Deepwater ISBI | The Disney Name Game | The Cien Baby Challenge | Nook's Legacy
Bokavoy

Post Counts

Post by Bokavoy »

I noticed that it's fine in New saves too. Sometimes if It really bothers me and I really want to play that family I just out them in a new save. It's inconvenient but it works. :?
WistfulRose

Post Counts

Post by WistfulRose »

I think we throw Eaxis under the bus too much. Without them we wouldn't even have the game in the first place. Making a game as big as the sims where you can do almost anything, and keep playing for forever is bound to have problems. Coding it has also got to be hard. And when you add more stuff it is bound to mess with other things that the game does. And it is probably pretty hard to fix, which is why they haven't done so yet. Especially when they are busy making more content for it that could mess up their fix.

As for the taking forever to obey a command, I do have some problems with that. Especially when the sim is sitting down to start with. I discovered that canceling the sit action helps for that. I've also noticed that when they are in a conversation it takes longer to respond, so deleting the conversation helps. Cooking does seem to take forever, so I like to make group meals so my sims don't have to do it as much. That's all I know.
scomlig

Post by scomlig »

I was just coming here to see if anyone else had this problem. I had a sim stand around for two (sim) hours, despite there being three actions in her queue. Eventually it canceled all of the actions in her queue and she passed out (because she was just tired at 9:30pm, but was exhausted by 11:30).

I'm sad to see that this still isn't fixed after almost three years. This is a pretty major problem with the game, seeing as it's flat-out preventing people from being able to actually play with their sims. I guess it's back to the Sims 2 for me.
Teresa
Site Admin
Site Admin
Steam ID: tjsmetana
Origin ID: tsmetana
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Teresa »

I find that pausing the game for a minute sometimes helps. To me it is a lot like buffering, where if you pause buffering can catch up, and then they move on. Also, if there are toddlers in the house, sometimes they call for someone but it doesn't show in the queue. Then if someone else picks the kid up, it hangs up whoever was originally called. It doesn't happen often, but is definitely irritating when it does.
Completing challenges & legacies since 2007 | Completed Stories
Heather
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Steam ID: spacedoggity
Origin ID: pixeldollhouse
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Heather »

WistfulRose wrote:I think we throw Eaxis under the bus too much. Without them we wouldn't even have the game in the first place. Making a game as big as the sims where you can do almost anything, and keep playing for forever is bound to have problems. Coding it has also got to be hard. And when you add more stuff it is bound to mess with other things that the game does. And it is probably pretty hard to fix, which is why they haven't done so yet. Especially when they are busy making more content for it that could mess up their fix.
Coding is difficult, but that doesn't mean Eaxis should be exempt from critique because of it. If their game is broke, they need to fix it. They should focus on fixing old bugs before piling on the new content, in my opinion. After all, what's the point of having new content if the game is almost unplayable because sims won't follow commands? That's basic gameplay right there; I don't see why there should be any excuses for not taking the time to make sure basic gameplay works correctly.

Return to “Sims 4 Chat”